Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

1981 Yenko Camaro

mustang84

This is the first time I've heard of it...but I'm sure some of the other Camaro nuts around here have known about it. It was an '81 Z28 with a turbo 350, different front air dam, vinyl decals, and a few other things. One of the color options was turbo white, as shown here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1981...not exactly a year remembered for great performance cars.  That is, until Don Yenko once again worked his magic.  With the government cracking down on auto manufacturers for everything ranging from emissions, to safety, to economy, there wasn't much to get excited about in the way of performance cars.  So, Yenko Chevrolet came up with a package for all of those customers yearning for performance out of a new car. 

What Yenko started with was a Z-28 Camaro, which came with a 175 horsepower 350, backed by a 350 Turbo Hydromatic transmission  (which happened to be the only trans available behind the 350).  While the 350 was unimpressive in stock tune, it provided the perfect foundation for a turbo.  Both the Stage I and the Stage II versions got the extra "help" via the turbo, but for those who wanted a truly "all around performer", Yenko had the answer for that as well: The Stage II.  So, falling back on what they had learned from years of racing experience, the boys from Canonsburg concentrated on key suspension components, such as the stabilizer bars, and threw in a set of Koni shocks for good measure. 

Now that the car was planted to the ground, Don felt that a pair of leather racing buckets were needed to keep the driver/passenger .  Then, just for good measure, they topped it all off with a set of ground effects, a set of modular wheels, and other interior "goodies"  (such as gauges, leather steering wheel, deluxe floor mats, AM/FM/Cassette stereo, etc.).  These options were all available on a Stage I, but were all standard on the Stage II cars.

The end product was a car that would turn in 14 second ETs in the 1/4 mile, but still hang in there with the best of them when the road got curvy.  All while enjoying the radio, with the A/C cranked, and with good gas mileage to boot!  The '81 Turbo Z's turned out to be the last supercars that rolled out of Yenko Chevrolet, with a total of 19 being produced.

Yes I've heard of it... yes it's cool but it's npot going to sell for $200,000 any time soon!