6-Month Update - 2006 Pontiac G6

It's been a little over six months since I first picked it up from the dealership. Got the first oil change back in April.

So far there are three problems that popped up:

1. Engine will "hot-crank". The G6 is equipped with an electronic starter, opposed to a traditional one that you hold down until it starts, which is designed for remote start. Tap it into start and the car will start on itself. However, the problem right now is that it cranks longer than normal for it to start.

2. Radio will not come on with car occasionally, have to tap the power button repeatedly for it to come on.

3. Car outside temperature display will not show correct temperature at times. Once it was snowing outside, and the display said it was 10 degrees Celsius.

In the last dealer visit, the PCM was reprogrammed and a new radio has been put in place. However that has not corrected the problem. Still waiting to go to service for the thermometer.

Other than the three annoying flies in the jar, the car otherwise is still a very pleasant ride, and drives like a champ.

2006 PONTIAC G6 - AT A GLANCE

Base Price: $24,495

As Tested: $27,895

* Engine: 3.5L OHV V6 (LX9 3500)

* Power Output: 201hp @ 5600RPM

* Torque: 223lb-ft @ 3200RPM

* Transmission: 4-speed Automatic

Current Mileage: 7700 kms

Average Fuel Economy: 9.8 L/100 km / 24 MPG, mostly local driving

What has gone wrong with it:

- Engine Hot Crank

- Seldom Radio Electrical Problem

- Seldom Outside Temperature Display Problem

The crank problem could be the battery. At work when we check in new cars we have to make sure that they start right up because if they don't we charge the battery (and the transport company pays us to do it, lol).

Sometimes the radio in the Malibus take a while to start playing music at work too, are you ever under a roof when this happens?

I don't have any idea what's wrong with the temp.

The crank problem could be the battery. At work when we check in new cars we have to make sure that they start right up because if they don't we charge the battery (and the transport company pays us to do it, lol).

Sometimes the radio in the Malibus take a while to start playing music at work too, are you ever under a roof when this happens?

I don't have any idea what's wrong with the temp.

165617[/snapback]

well 10* F sounds good for snow...

but not 10* C...

The thing with the radio is that there's no power to it at all. The display is completely blank.

165619[/snapback]

You know.....the SAME thing happens in my Corvette.....

It's quite intermittent......can't duplicate it at the dealer......but occasionally there's no display...no clock....no nothing, right after startup. I have to keep tapping the power button (like you said) and eventually it will come on.

?????? :huh:

II just shut off the truck and turn it back on and everything's good for a few more years.

165970[/snapback]

hah, kind of like when you find the onion ring with your french fries.

my cars been stalling out for no known reason lately while im driving or sometimes if i turn it off and run into the store it wont start for 5-10 mins.

of course its over 15 yrs old and 100k but ill take a radio reboot anytime.

the worst part is trying to explain it to someone.

my cars been stalling out for no known reason lately while im driving or sometimes if i turn it off and run into the store it wont start for 5-10 mins.

166024[/snapback]

When I first bought the Seville it had a similar problem. It wouldn't start warm. If you had the engine running for more than a couple minutes and tried to start it up again, it wouldn't. The problem was fixed, though.

166024[/snapback]

This sounds like your carburator is boiling over so it vaporizes the gas and then you are having to wait for it to cool and start. Usually this is a problem with your float in the float bowl on the carburator. I would have them look at the settings or a new carb as this is not uncommon on misset floats on the carbs.

Vapor lock is another common problem with carbs on cars that run for a few minutes and then turn off and they will not start back up again till you let it sit. Again, an issue with the float in the float bowl, the jets and mixture setting on the carb.

My input on this problem I have seen on many auto's.

1. Engine ... cranks longer than normal for it to start.

2. Radio will not come on occasionally...

3. Car outside temperature display will not show correct temperature at times.

Thoughts for your consideration:

I, too, have inquired about #1 with extended starter engagement, mainly on hot restarts. Several contacts have confirmed that it happens on quite a few GM models and GM says that it has no bearing on performance or reliability. So far, I personally have had no problems result except a bit of embarassment from people thinking that I can't start a car.

#2. Be sure you turn your key on fully. Understand that your key operates a seperate ignition switch. The ignition switch has many seperate electrical contacts each for Accessory, Run and Start positions. Perhaps one or more contacts are not mating fully. It may be the case that the ignition switch could be at fault. Your dealer can run a test to pull hidden codes that might indicate ignition switch problems, such as voltage differences at various systems.

On #3, please understand that this is not a dumb temperature indicator that just displays what it senses at the moment. GM put some logic in there to minimize the effects of heat soak and such. For example, it will display the last 'good' temperatue on startup if the vehicle had only been stopped less than a few hours and not update until the vehicle has been in motion at a certain speed for a certain amount of time. I believe your dealer can provide you a bulletin that describes the logic. The GM document is an interesting read showing that someone actually put some thought into it. I encourage you try and locate this as I believe it will answer this concern.

Thoughts for your consideration:

I, too, have inquired about #1 with extended starter engagement, mainly on hot restarts. Several contacts have confirmed that it happens on quite a few GM models and GM says that it has no bearing on performance or reliability. So far, I personally have had no problems result except a bit of embarassment from people thinking that I can't start a car.

#2. Be sure you turn your key on fully. Understand that your key operates a seperate ignition switch. The ignition switch has many seperate electrical contacts each for Accessory, Run and Start positions. Perhaps one or more contacts are not mating fully. It may be the case that the ignition switch could be at fault. Your dealer can run a test to pull hidden codes that might indicate ignition switch problems, such as voltage differences at various systems.

On #3, please understand that this is not a dumb temperature indicator that just displays what it senses at the moment. GM put some logic in there to minimize the effects of heat soak and such. For example, it will display the last 'good' temperatue on startup if the vehicle had only been stopped less than a few hours and not update until the vehicle has been in motion at a certain speed for a certain amount of time. I believe your dealer can provide you a bulletin that describes the logic. The GM document is an interesting read showing that someone actually put some thought into it. I encourage you try and locate this as I believe it will answer this concern.

166387[/snapback]

2. My car was on and running, when the radio is off.

3. I went to the dealer, and they say they will replace the thermostat tomorrow. I don't have time to go through that, that is up to the dealer.

2. My car was on and running, when the radio is off.

3. I went to the dealer, and they say they will replace the thermostat tomorrow. I don't have time to go through that, that is up to the dealer.

166399[/snapback]

#2. Understood. Please bear in mind that the ignition switch has many contacts and circuits running through it. It is entirely possible for one (on any car) to have one system 'down' while the rest are operating normally. Think of your ignition as a group of individual switches that are activated at the same time.

#3. While I don't think they are replacing the thermostat on your cooling system, if whatever they replace does not solve the problem, then consider that the discrepancy is due to the logic built into the outside temperature reporting system. My advice: If you have been driving above ~ 30 mph / ~50 kph in dry weather for 5 minutes and the value reported is significantly off, then I would say the system might have a problem.

I just had to opportunity to rent a G6 (1787 miles on the odometer) for a week in Houston. I have to say I was pleasantly surpraised at how good a vehicle it was.

Would I buy one?

That I don't know.

The G6 still did not feel as solid as the Honda Accord but it was a great driver even in Pothole Capital Houston. What was very strange was the air conditioning was not as good as I would have thought for a GM car.

Houston is hot and humid and a good air condition is a valued necessity and the G6 air condition was not very strong.

Hopefully it was just my car but that was alittle annoying.

But overall I think the G6 is miles better than the Grand Am and should be on peoples short list for midsize cars.