C&G Design Exclusive - 2008 Cadillac CTS

What are your thoughts on our interpretation?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on our interpretation?

• Wow! Let's hope the real CTS looks this good!
    • Pretty good. I like it, but...
    • Not bad, it would make a decent CTS.
    • I don't really like it at all.
    • No way! Horrible!

Posted Image

Following our tradition of bringing you the latest in General Motors news, rumors, and exclusive content, Cheers and Gears is proud to present our vision of the 2008 Cadillac CTS sport sedan. We know you've seen a few rear-angle renderings before, but we feel ours is rather accurate.

From a variety of sources, including spy shots, the infamous 60 Minutes glimpse, and his own imagination, C&G member and Photoshop artist Frank Budzyn (NOS2006) created his own detailed rendition of what is arguably the most anticipated product debut this season.

From what we've seen, the CTS' successor will reamin chiseled and taut, continuing the side detailing trend set by the 2003 CTS with a grooved character line jutting upwards into the taillamp pod, which are slimmer and house arrays of ultrabright LEDs, a Cadillac signature. A spoiler designed with integration in mind caps off a shortened rear deck; combined with a rear-wheel drive-proportioned hood, this gives the car a drawn-back and aggressive stance. We predict a wide-wedge third brake lamp inset into the deck's aft edge, creasing the decklid itself, much like the XLR. Wide, round dual exhaust tips will trumpet the vocals of its V6 or V-Series V8 powerplant. Inset rear 'grille' mimics the bold lower grille from the front of the car.

Note also the wider look of the car. Our sources have confirmed that the overall track of the 2008 CTS has been widened by about 2 inches to equal the STS' track so it can accomodate all-wheel drive without compromising its stance or looks. So AWD lovers, your CTS is on the horizon at last. Also, we expect an increase of $1500-3500 in MSRP from current levels to make room for the rumored next-generation BLS to slot underneath the CTS as Cadillac's new price leader. Transmissions will include GM's new 6-speed shiftable automatic along with a six-speed manual.

If you think this is it, it isn't. Be sure to join us later this week when we unveil a second artist rendering of the 2008 CTS as well as some additional details on the most-awaited CTS-V!

Looks interesting. Maybe a bit too busy but still attractive. Almost looks like a hatchback if you pay close attention to the C-pillar. That aspect might appeal to an international audience more then the current vehicle.

CTS offering AWD was inevitable since other cars in the same segment offer or will offer the same option.

Looking at it again, it really reminds me of the STS rear, though you probably based this off of it. Not sure if that's a positive or a negative. I'd have to see the real thing in person to give you that answer.

Good chop NOS!

Edited by Cadillacfan

it looks a lot like what the CTS will look like. From this angle, I'm not so sure this will be groundbreaking or exciting.

EDIT: let me add.....this is nice....i like it, but my comments reflected above are what i feel.

Edited by turbo200

Oooh, I like it! Very sharp. Only thing that I'd change is make the line coming out of the deck line up with the windows...other than that, I'd take one.

Great job, NOS! :thumbsup:

As someone who has seen the official renderings...this is 90% accurate. Real thing is lower and wider looking, has a sportier stance, more modern-looking wheel flares and ground effects (especially around rear wheel) as well as a sexier rear with more-integrated spoiler.

This is pretty much it. It will be a massive hit, and NOS deserves some freaking props for hitting the mark so closely on his own.

Great chop - wish I was 1/100 the artist!

I think Caddy is going the wrong direction. Thick, bulky body styles were big during the run of the SUV but I think that is dying quickly. Look at the new Infiniti G concept with it's sleek low from clip. Even the Chev SS concept was more the right direction...

B.

Still not loving the chiseled looks. I believe this is a very accurat rendition, so it's a bit of a let down for me that the car wasn't "softened" a bit. The interior, however, will be nothing less than world class, from what I've seen. The interior is simply awesome.

Awesome chop, NOS. Good job.

I am not a big fan of the car's design, either. It looks a little busy, especially the rear, and the side vent looks like it was tacked on at the last minute. The bottom of the rear door, from what we have seen in the spy photos, is swoopy while the rest of the car is far from it so they clash. Luckily, the interior is going to be freakin amazing.

A (somewhat) nice design evolution but I was kind of hoping for more. At least the BLS is coming but hopefully not in FWD configuration.

I like it but, the next next CTS should be a fresher style.

The next next CTS should move up to take on the 5-Series & GS.

I think the next BLS should switch to Zeta to take on the 3 & IS.

The next STS should move upscake to take on the LS anf Q or even the S & 7

Edited by carman21

Guest YellowJacket894

Ehhh.....little too close, dontcha think?

168109[/snapback]

That would be "friendly competition," Josh. :AH-HA_wink:

IMHO, that roofline doesn't quite slope enough to match the spy shots. It is a great rendering! :) However, I don't see it being very accurate.

I really really really hope the rear-end of the final car doesn't suffer from hatchback or Bangle butt like the rendering.

I think the rear would be better if the light assembly angled slightly down, creating a fin effect with the character line scooting from the fin all the way through the door handles or, at worst, through the upper crease below the windows to the front of the car. That would give it an aggressive, forward thrusting, lunging effect. The way it looks now makes the back and front not work together properly.

Plus, the pics from 60 Minutes seemed to imply a fin-like rear light and I would assume a downward slope not the upward slope on this chop.

I think I do too...but who cares, right?  It keeps everything legal while giving the people what they want...so no harm no foul, right?

168507[/snapback]

i'm going to have to agree with Josh on this one. comparing said images, it appears that they are far too similar to be merely coincidence! so, passing the chop off as based on spy shots, 60 Minutes and "his own imagination" is a bit of a stretch. well not really a stretch.

i'd called it more like blatantly misleading.

to fly, why not just call it out and set the record straight, (cause, unless GM was all hoity toity over a NOS picture the first time around) this thing is about as far from NOS imagination as BM is from reality.

i'm going to have to agree with Josh on this one.  comparing said images, it appears that they are far too similar to be merely coincidence!  so, passing the chop off as based on spy shots, 60 Minutes and "his own imagination" is a bit of a stretch.  well not really a stretch.

i'd called it more like blatantly misleading.

to fly, why not just call it out and set the record straight, (cause, unless GM was all hoity toity over a NOS picture the first time around) this thing is about as far from NOS imagination as BM is from reality.

168521[/snapback]

sooooo, this is it??? he took an actual pic of the new car, and added stuff to it to "disguise" it...

Voted with the majority, this looks great. I think the rims are too

Infiniti FX and not enough "Cadillac".

NOS: Super-impose youself chillin' by the car w/ a popped collar. :wink:

*DING*

168615[/snapback]

No, you're a moron. That is clearly based on an STS, hence the flat taillight. I can see several things "wrong" with this chop in relation to the actual picture (I mentioned that earlier) so he definitely didn't start out with an actual pic and "add stuff" :rolleyes:

No, you're a moron.  That is clearly based on an STS, hence the flat taillight.  I can see several things "wrong" with this chop in relation to the actual picture (I mentioned that earlier) so he definitely didn't start out with an actual pic and "add stuff" :rolleyes:

168689[/snapback]

I am not going to get into a pissing match with you Croc. But, you're wrong. He did start out with an actual pic. Just not the pic.

I'll let Frank add in what he changed, etc from here and what he had to go off of. Because quite frankly, it hasnt been spy shots....show me one with a rear spoiler?

Guest YellowJacket894

You don't understand what I'm referring to.

168462[/snapback]

I do, actually. I'd explain, too, but it's been done before I could respond to your post.

I have my doubts that it's been based on an actual, official '08 CTS photo. It's too early for any such thing to be released. And that's all I'll say on that.

*DING*

168615[/snapback]

It is obvious that I used a picture of the current Cadillac STS and rendered THAT picture. I did NOT render a picture of the upcoming CTS.

FWIW, here's the original:

http://seriouswheels.com/pics-2005/2005-Ca...o-1920x1440.jpg

Looking at the original, it's obvious that the front quarer of the car was hardly changed same with the front portion of the roofline and windows.

I'll let Frank add in what he changed, etc from here and what he had to go off of. Because quite frankly, it hasnt been spy shots....show me one with a rear spoiler?

168695[/snapback]

The spoiler? I've been using that design in my sketches for months now with trunklids shaped like the CTS. It's obvious that the rear fenders arch downward into the trunk, see here:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www...ts.door.500.jpg

Now here are a few of my past renderings/sketches featuring this spoiler I have used in the past couple months:

1. http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9730/ca...ccienjpg9fy.jpg

2. http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6785/ca...cien2jpg8ha.jpg

3. http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5976/aagtojpgtm1.jpg

4. http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4074/im...earlyjpglm2.jpg

Edited by NOS2006

even has the same flat tire....

So now we have a case where the lady doth protest too much.

168729[/snapback]

exactly. and as far as the spoiler goes...the unfinished clay model featured on 60 minutes shows that a spoiler was in the process of being added...plus the STS comes with a spoiler...so I don't think that's proof of anything...especially since ive seen the real CTS rendering and NOS' spoiler isnt accurate of what the real one looks like...the real one is flatter and lower profile as well as better-integrated into the overall design. Edited by Croc

Well I for one like this look. I was never a fan of the CTS styling. In fact, I have liked it the least of all the 'Art and Science' influenced designs since caddy began that campaign. I admit though, it softend on me and looked less and less offensive as the years went on.

Then my co-worker went and bought one and she took me out to lunch. Sadly, I was very let down with the interior(though I didn't tell my co-worker). It just seemed, well, 'low rent' to me. The plastic looked hard and cheap and it just didn't seem to have the same level of elegance as say, my wife's ES(lexus) or my moms LS(lincoln). While there are plastics used in both of those cars, their overall quality and presentation seem on a higher level than the CTS. For $35k, I hope they do revise the interior to fit this nice looking exterior.

My only question now is: If this is the new CTS, what will they do to the STS to differentiate and justify the $10k+ price difference. :scratchchin: