Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Weird sighting

MotorCityAgent

Driving North on US-23 (Brighton/Hartland, MI area) this mourning I saw the strangest thing. It was defiantly a Camaro but it was nothing I've ever seen before. It had prototype camo only on the front end / grill area. It was large, had a retro look, long hood, white with orange stripes. What I saw was reminiscent of a 1st generation front clip and spoiler with the side profile similar to that of a 4th gen. At first I said to myself, "Can it be? Not driving down 23 at 8:30 in the mourning". And then less than a mile behind it was an SUV covered in camo top to bottom. Either GM is testing the new Camaro or someone with to much time and money is butchering Camaros.

very interesting indeed... can we get any confirmation/explanation from the insiders? just one thing that bugs, if this is true... why would they bother changing the front clip if they are using a mule body, and if this really is a Camaro test mule why not camo the whole damn thing to keep it under wraps?

very interesting indeed... can we get any confirmation/explanation from the insiders?

just one thing that bugs, if this is true... why would they bother changing the front clip if they are using a mule body, and if this really is a Camaro test mule why not camo the whole damn thing to keep it under wraps?

[post="13039"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thats what I was thinking. CSpec could be on to something.

I feel the Camaro is farther along than most relize. The car will have cue's from all gens. I was told all the pictures we have see are not correct so toss out what you you have seen. We should see more mules after January once the show car is let out. My guess we will see one in Germany at the ring after the first of the year on GM first 06 trip. I would not be suprised if 08 could still be a possibility even if it is an early 09 model. I expect the show car at Detroit to be along the lines of past show car at 80% production based like the Aura. Also note the time line of the Aura from show to production, I think this is telling.

A lot of times a mule will have the front end of the intended new model to test for cooling, engine packaging and the like.

[post="13206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That did occur to me... It just seems like, with all this speculation and conflicting stories, this sighting is too good to be true. That's why my initial reaction was along the lines of "why would they show so much of something that might not exist, so is this really it"

ok so how much do we all have to pay to gets some pictures of this thang!

[post="13233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have a feeling there is a LOT of photographers looking to score BIG on this. The first spy photo of the C5 corvette fetched near $50,000.

CD/BP how much are you guys offering, if it is legitimately taken?

Someone paid $50k for the first C5 spy pic? That's insane.

[post="13332"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was wrong actually.

Jim Dunne is quoted in ACAR to say "in 1982 he got a photo of a C4 being run on public road in Michgan...The photo, Dunne said not altogether faceiously, put one of his daughters through two years at Michgan State."

Now put that into todays dollars and you could easily get $50k.

BTW Brenda Priddy is mentioned pretty boldly.

Doane and Miss Priddy would surely fetch some cash.

Seeing as how the GMT900's are being given Presidential like security, I'd expect no different for the Camaro. More like Pope security.

Also, there have been Zeta mules running around since very early this year. Can't say what, or when, or where, or...well you get the idea. But I'm still sticking to my guns and stating an '07 debut.

Some photo's are when someone lets their gard down and get caught! But on the other hand as tight as GM is on security they are leaking just what they want seen, they are not as stupied as many want you to believe. I have seem many controlled leaks in the last few years. Keep in mind the C5 was tested with a Camaro body when it was being driven. The new car may have been seen before and no one noticed.

It's way too early for anything Camaro related to be out on public roads.

Also it seems what the guy saw was a show car. Other people saw the car too:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread....t=396645&page=2
(Post #16)

[post="13596"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I can't see it being on the road so soon.. has to be something else!

I can't see it being on the road so soon.. has to be something else!

[post="13601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's exactly what he saw. Frankenmuth, MI is located off of US-23 North of Brighton/Hartland, MI where the original poster said he saw the car.

Put two and two together. :blink:

Keep in mind the C5 was tested with a Camaro body when it was being driven. The new car may have been seen before and no one noticed.

[post="13530"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually C5 powertrain was tested in Camaro bodies. The Corvette Alphas and Betas were ALL C5. In fact there was the Cerv4 test car that was built outside GM and it was completed and driven on the street with C4 panels on it back in 1993.

This is awesome! There is so much good news coming out of GM these days...after seeing the 2008 ION, 2007 Tahoe and Avalanche, and the leaked Escalade images...it looks like there's a lot in store for GM. I'm just itching for some Camaro spy shots right now. EDIT: I just noticed 91z4me's post...I should've figured it was too good to be true :( Well, I still have my hope. Edited by mustang84

I've though about doing a custom one off wiht a Gen.4 body but 69 styl;e sheetmetal and fascias.... it would e cool but the vertical grille wouild be hard to integrate onto a car that is sooo angled and 'laid-back'. Wouldn't it be awsome though if that was exactly what someone did and now they have 5000 GM/Camaro fans all fired up! :P

saw the same description on 696 near detroit around gratiot. yesterday at 9:30 intresting...... only more camo like the roof door panels and the rear end its boxy to me. and giant CB raido antenas stuck to the roof (maybe a factory option. lol i know what there used for.)

• 2 weeks later...

It could be some sort of mule.

If they're testing it right now, then we should see it in two years or less. The first Lambda was just spied a few months ago, and it comes out in fall 06.

[post="13174"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But why would they have orange stripes on it. If the camo is to disguise the shape of the mule, then why bring unwarranted attention to one's self by having the orange stripes on it. Leave it white like most of the test mule spy shots we see.