Chevrolet Camaro Concept: Design

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Chevrolet Camaro Concept: Design

Note: Recently, I brought you details about the design of the new Dodge Challenger, the concept that served as a precursor to Dodge’s re-entry into the revitalized Pony Car segment. In that article, you got to see a good chunk of images you had to pay-to-see over at Car Design News (which, to me, isn’t fair at all) and read about styling elements, etc. Now it’s time we look at an equally legendary machine: the Camaro

Posted Image

These two sketches show a car that in no way is a Camaro and tends to be very futuristic. Cues from GM’s Autonomy concept and the Saturn Curve concept seem to litter these sketches.

Posted Image

This early sketch shows cues from the ‘69 model. It probably came from Design North Studio since it shows many traits in common with an early, full-size clay model.

Posted Image

This early rear-view sketch compliments the above sketch.

Posted Image

Another design from Design North Studio. (The technique used to sketch that rendering seems very cartoonish...)

Posted Image

This early proposal that probably came from Design North Studio shows a strong influence from the 1969 Camaro, especially in the front cues. Some cues would stick around for the final concept, like the vent gills on the rear-quarter panels for example.

Posted Image

This early sketch is probably better suited for a GTO proposal with styling based around the mid and early sixties models, and seems to have some cues in common with the 1999 concept car of the same name. The roofline would eventually be refined and make its way to a design proposal.

Posted Image

Cues from the front of this design, although maybe too morbidly rabid and agressive, by designer Steve S. Kim would find their way to design proposals and the eventual finished product.

Posted Image

During early stages of this project, the second generation models were very influential. Designers liked this generation of Camaro because of the low profile and the fastback greenhouse.

Posted Image

Designs of the above concept went as far clay models before GM decided to give a thumbs down. Rick Wagoner said in an interview that he determined that there was too much of a Mustang influence, and that is true. Look at the above photo and you can see the thick, straight-edged beltline has a Mustang feel. It does, however, look good and provides a possible decent basis for the next generation of Camaro after the much aspirated ‘09 CY model. (Also, what in the hell is that blue sedan in the background? Looks like a Chevy. Malibu proposal maybe? Impala? It has my attention.)

More in a moment.

Guest YellowJacket894

Chevrolet Camaro Concept: Design (Cont.)

Posted Image

The rear design of the proposal from Design North Studio.

Posted Image

The design from Design North Studio goes one step further.

Posted Image

This design proposal from the UK features a hodge-podge of classic cues with a modern take. Notice the wrap-around windshield and lack of A-pillars.

Posted Image

One of the first concepts from GM's California studio. In the background, targets are noticed. You can also see the '70s-inspired design below the photos of the Mustang, etc.

Posted Image

This early concept from GM's California studio predates the final concept car.

Posted Image

Another concept from GM's California studio again predates the final product. It maybe even goes one step further and shows what a possible production car may apper to be like. Who knows?

Posted Image

This alternative concept for the rear styling of the Camaro concept has soft edges, which is pretty different from the sharp-edged design from the final product.

Posted Image

The rear-styling that would eventually make it's way onto the finished car. Again, this seems to go a little past concept and to production. Why would a concept car with no worries about street-legality be concerned with a bumper indent?

More in a moment. Please refrain from posting until all images are up.

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

A proposal that moves a little closer to the final car. Something about this roofline suggests the 1999 Pontiac GTO concept car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Different interior sketches.

Posted Image

Some elements of this design would make their way to the final product. Expensive Diesel watches inspired the instrument cluster design, etc.

Posted Image

Final interior rendering by Micah Jones.

Posted Image

The finished product.

Enjoy!

:) That was cool to see the progress of the concept sketches and ideas to the finished prototype.

I know that Zeta is a new platform that has to undergo tons of Federalization and what not - but how can it take so long to get this car to market with the resourses at their disposal. Am I hearing right that the Dodge boys will have the Challenger almost a full YEAR before the Camaro debuts? Is this just plain platform engineering where they slap a car on an already tested platform - a la the Ford Thunderbird? Will this help or hinder the final Challenger, and in the long term make the Camaro a better car due to the extensive engineering for it's purpose built chassis?

I am interested in hearing your take on this.

Yeah the Challenger is a lot of the current Charger platform, that helps hurry things, where the Camaro is more original. My favorite is the early clay,sketch with the number 4 in the lower right corner. A little too retro perhaps, but still my fav. I wish they would change the taillights tho, the ones onthe concept are waaay too AMC Javelin. . .

YellowJacket984-thank you so much for those Camaro concept sketches and models-I love seeing those processes, it makes you wonder what those different designs would be like productionized, or what it may look like under a different badge or such-either way great stuff!

Posted Image

Cue Jaws theme song. :D

Some awsome sketches. Simply Stunning.

Guest YellowJacket894

No problem, guys. It was fun putting this together. (And it's cool to be featured on the main page, too, yeah. :D ) 8)

A "versus" question concerning the platform of the Camaro and Challenger was asked here and I feel inclined to answer about it. To start things off, I am unsure of what the Challenger will be based on -- the old LX (2005) or the new LY (2009). Some sources indicate it will be on the new LY platform which will also serve as a basis for the next Charger, 300, and Magnum. I've also read it could be based on the current LX. In either case, I would bet on a sound structure with great driving dynamics. I've test driven a Charger recently, and that car had really great handling. Nothing but point-and-go on the dot responses.

I would bet on seeing more of the same, if not better results, from Zeta. Zeta is a Global-issue platform and it has to be able to talor to the different driving dynamics of different markets. I'm sure it will be just as good or better than LX or LY. GM is probably taking more time with this to do away with concerns with Federalization (as mentioned) and to be competitive with driving dynamics of the DCX rear-drive platform, among other competitors. We drive differently from the People Down Under and GM is probably making sure that the platform is perfectly talored to our tastes.

Hope that made sense. 8)

Posted Image

The rear design of the proposal from Design North Studio.

Posted Image

The design from Design North Studio goes one step further.

Posted Image

This design proposal from the UK features a hodge-podge of classic cues with a modern take. Notice the wrap-around windshield and lack of A-pillars.

Posted Image

One of the first concepts from GM's California studio. In the background, targets are noticed. You can also see the '70s-inspired design below the photos of the Mustang, etc.

Posted Image

This early concept from GM's California studio predates the final concept car.

Posted Image

Another concept from GM's California studio again predates the final product. It maybe even goes one step further and shows what a possible production car may apper to be like. Who knows?

Posted Image

This alternative concept for the rear styling of the Camaro concept has soft edges, which is pretty different from the sharp-edged design from the final product.

Posted Image

The rear-styling that would eventually make it's way onto the finished car. Again, this seems to go a little past concept and to production. Why would a concept car with no worries about street-legality be concerned with a bumper indent?

More in a moment. Please refrain from posting until all images are up.

179849[/snapback]

these Sang Lee sketches are the best of the bunch.....NO DOUBT

umm... maybe i'm missing something, but the first sketch (captioned "these two sketches...") includes what is pretty much unmistakably a pontiac vehicle, positioned just above the camaro that should've gotten produced (IMO).

those are the proportions I've been raving about for the past, oh, 4+ years.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

179850[/snapback]

anyone else see that "427" badge on the door panel?

that... is very exciting

Edited by 04monteintimidator

Speaking of the concept's design.. check out the pedals!

Posted Image

Is that the e-brake on the "dead pedal?"

I hope the e-brake goes where it belongs in a sport car... on the center column. not the floor

• 3 months later...