2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Large Truck

Variance

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/chevrol...v..0.Chevrolet*

What Edmunds.com Says: With GM quickly falling behind its competitors in the full-size truck segment, look for GM to pull out all the stops to assure that this Silverado has everything it needs to compete.

What We Know: Major changes will be necessary on this stalwart design in order to keep it competitive against its longtime rival, the F-150, in addition to relative newcomers such as the Nissan Titan and next-generation Toyota Tundra. When the new Silverado appears, probably in 2007, it will feature a far more elegant cabin than the current model along with a new GMT-900 platform. A more powerful range of engines is a certainty, but efficiency is also likely to play a major role as the Silverado may very well become the biggest user of GM's Displacement on Demand technology. Look for safety to play a prominent role as well with more extensive airbag protection and wider availability of StabiliTrak.

Pictures at link.

The Silverado interior is truly GM's Achilles heel, but then that can be said of most of GM's vehicles! The inside of the F-150 is much nicer than the Silverado. However, in most other respects, the new F-150 is just playing catch up with what GM has had since '99 (hydroformed steel frame, etc.) As usual, it is the media that is driving this. Just because they are bored with the Silverado and the Titan is the flavour of the week, doesn't mean the Chevy is crap.

Agreed. The fact that its a 6 year-old design selling like mad crazy against competitors that have all been redeigned (and even refreshed) during its life is proof of something, perhaps that its just a damn good truck with an adequate interior.

Note that interior of all GM trucks/SUVs are prefectly fine for trucks and SUVs. However, today's market dictates that trucks and utilities supplant actual cars, so the interior really ranges from merely adequate (Chevy) to trailing (Escalade) for their segements respectively.

Unveiled on Tuesday? Where'd you get that info? I thought it was Sept. 30th at the Texas State Fair?

[post="15554"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not necessarily. What was said outside the Janesville plant a few weeks ago was that they had built some, but they were locked away, and they "couldn't wait to show them to everybody in ABOUT a month". So, from that, I got that the first images will be out before the "official" show debut, which sometimes happens.

Truck looks hella big!!!!!!!!! Also that's a good thing since it's counterparts in the market are going bigger, Just I hope the fenders are not slabsided. The camo must make it look that way but if we have a cross beween teh Colorado, Avalanche spy pics and Cheyenne concept I think we'll have a great looking truck.

[post="15609"][/post]

How does it look "hella big"? Park a current Silverado next to this new one, and the size and overall profile would be virtually identical. Big and brash is not something GM tends to do, truck or not.

For a good comparison, here's the new BIG Tundra:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Edited by caddycruiser

How does it look "hella big"?  Park a current Silverado next to this new one, and the size and overall profile would be virtually identical.  Big and brash is not something GM tends to do, truck or not.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="15665"][/post]

Damn, that thing looks ridiculous. I wonder how the public will react to such a huge cab.

Damn, that thing looks ridiculous.  I wonder how the public will react to such a huge cab.

[post="16621"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, it kinda resembles the dimensions of the new Dodge Ram MegaCab, but you should note, they have taped an extra box on behind the cab to make it even larger--it really ends with the back door line.

So the million dollar question is; will GM finally make the GMC and Chevy be different enough that people will choose one over the other purley for styling reasons?

[post="15771"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I'm a GMC man myself, so that's not even a question I'm worried about. But if it didn't matter, the 2003 Silverado refresh would have definitely pushed me over to the GMC Sierra!!! :P

Guest YellowJacket894
Shit, the Tundra looks goofy. Big, clumsy, and, can I say?, downright retarded. Looks like Toyota took the greyhound to the buffet and forgot to pick it up before closing time. To sum it up in two words: fat ass.

The Sliverado, however, should be larger than the current model. (But, thank God, it's not as stupid looking as the Tundra or Ram Mega Cab.) To be honest, the styling and camo actually makes it appear midsize to me. Just my eyes misreading the black garbadge bags taped to the fenders. Edited by anorexorcist

How does it look "hella big"?  Park a current Silverado next to this new one, and the size and overall profile would be virtually identical.  Big and brash is not something GM tends to do, truck or not.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="15665"][/post]

When i replied I didnt take into account how the Camo made the truck look bigger overall, now that you pointed it its probally just a little bit bigger than the current model. Also first thing I thought when I saw the camoed front of that Toyota was Ridgeline! Having a decent sized Crew cab is fine but when it get so big you basically got a suburban sized cab between a truck bed and front end it starts to look a little wierd.

• 2 weeks later...
On a positive note, it appears as though the Silverado and Tahoe do not share the same dash. In one of the pictures you can faintly see the outline of the dash and it appears more square than the Tahoe's. I think this is a good thing, as long as the Silverado uses high quality materials. It would be great if the Silverado and Tahoe had different interiors like the Expedition and F150 do. I guess we have to wait three more months until these break cover. Any word on them (the Silverado and Sierra) having the bedside door like the Cheyenne concept?

• 3 weeks later...

The Silverado interior is truly GM's Achilles heel, but then that can be said of most of GM's vehicles!  The inside of the F-150 is much nicer than the Silverado.
However, in most other respects, the new F-150 is just playing catch up with what GM has had since '99 (hydroformed steel frame, etc.)
  As usual, it is the media that is driving this.  Just because they are bored with the Silverado and the Titan is the flavour of the week, doesn't mean the Chevy is crap.

[post="14646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do much prefer the Silverados seats to the F-150's cheap cloth material but the rest of the F-150 interior does seem more modern.

crap, the Tundra looks goofy. Big, clumsy, and, can I say?, downright retarded. Looks like Toyota took the greyhound to the buffet and forgot to pick it up before closing time. To sum it up in two words: fat ass.

The Sliverado, however, should be larger than the current model. (But, thank God, it's not as stupid looking as the Tundra or Ram Mega Cab.) To be honest, the styling and camo actually makes it appear midsize to me. Just my eyes misreading the black garbadge bags taped to the fenders.

[post="17547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is a sweet looking 80 T/A

• 3 weeks later...

Judging by the Ram Mega Cab and that Tundra Crew Cab, GM is doomed.

[post="39782"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't understand how the Ram Mega Cab 'dooms' anything. Its just a big-ass Ram with a fireplace on the dashboard. Even as big as it is, it simply makes up for the traditional lack of second-row room in Dodge extended and crew cabs. As a truck, it offers nothing really innovative besides bigness. Ditto with Tundra Crew Cab.

Where is this all going to end? Will the next Silverado be a Grehound bus? The new Ford "boasts" more interior space than the Silverado; the mega cab, or whatever the hell it is called, is bigger than the Ford - sooner or later the cab will needs its own zip code. Ford and Dodge are pursuing big for the sake of being big. Now Nissan has caught the same bug. This is just stupid. I am 6'2" and I can't even touch the floor of a F-150 without wearing heels (that is another story). What about the average guy? Yet, the F-150 has the same ground clearance as the CURRENT Silverado. GM needs to upgrade the interiors of its trucks, but not much else has fallen behind. I think the new Dodge's just look ridiculous. Ten years ago they were aggressive, good looking trucks. Now, they just look like a bulldozer from the front.