Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

MT: Camry SE V6 vs 06 Altima SE-R

toyoguy

Well this doesn't surprise me... at all. I'm not calling "bias" either. It just reinforces what me and bunch of other people have been saying...

...a 3.9L and four-speed auto does NOT make an SS.

215794[/snapback]

Agreed. Honestly, why does every Chevy model have to have an SS trim? And if it does, shouldn't it really be outstanding?

Clever. Very clever. Let's compare a '06 Malibu and Altima with an '07 Camry and Mitsu. Oh, let's not forget that the '07 Malibu has the better warranty. Let's not forget that the Malibu is $4,000 cheaper than the Camry and $6,000 less than the Altima.

Oh, yeah - the Malibu runs on regular gas, too - unlike the Mitsu and Altima.

Sigh. Under the category of Tyranny of the Enthusiast, do none of the above facts register with these guys? The Malibu does pretty good in the road tests and over all came out alright, but when you factor in the price (and that is before 0% financing or other incentives are thrown in!) it is an outright steal.

I see a lot of people stretching themselves to afford these far more expensive cars just because some stupid magazine says they are better. Then they get hit with the fuel bill, maintenance costs and they genuinely wonder what happened.

Let's see them pull this same stunt 8 months from now with the '08 Malibu and the '07 Camry to see how the Camry comes out then...oh, but wait - that would be unfair, wouldn't it?

They test a brand-new car against two legacy models, one with a new model out in months and another coming out in a year. Talk about stacking the deck. Plus, the Camry still look like $h!.

215805[/snapback]

you misspelled sumetheen

"CAM-LEE stih-rook-rike-shiht"

the 07 altima i saw on the dealer lot the other night had an MSRP under 25 grand. it was the 3.5 SE with a 6 speed manual. As far as I'm concerned, that is the raging deal of the century. A large spacious well mannered powerful sedan with a classy genuine drivers interior and low price. No need to compare any others. The competition is done. Maybe add an Aura XR and Mazdaspeed6 and that's about all there is to consider. Accord too for the CR losers.

The Camry is dung. Bu is dated. Galant can't keep up (although I like that car).

Ultimately my point is the sedan class is so large, instead of picking one car, they need to divide it into subclasses when picking winners....i.e. sporty midsize, this is the top 5. Luxury midsize, this is the top 5.

Instead the mags go towards their bias and just don't really reflect the desires of the masses, although IRONICALLY they greatly influence what people buy. And it's just getting worse.

Its all because as a society we don't think for ourselves anymore.

Edited by regfootball

My guess is because the Aura XR isn't a standout sporty version compared to the XE. It's more of a Galant GTS/Altima 3.5SE/Camry LE V6 competitor. A Redline version would be more appropriate in this group.

215966[/snapback]

that'd be my guess too.

Sooner or later the Aura, Altima, Accord, Camry and Mazda6 will end up in a comparo. Camry already took edmunds comparision.

Though I'm suprised to see the Altima priced alongside the Camry these days.

I'd rather have the styling of my SS than any of those. I know I in the minority, but I really don't get the visual appeal of the Altima. The last generation did a MCE that removed the horrible amber lights from the taillights and then in 2007 they bring the amber back and make it look like a huge stripe in the rear.

To each their own. My SS is not the best of the bunch, but I like better than those three. And which one of them have a hatchback, remote start and comes in Plurple?

And you're right Bizz. People have grand illusions of what the SS was. Yes there were some monster SS's, but there have been some dogs. SS is a upper trim level - Chevy is using it for the most powerful version of their cars. Last time I looked the 3.9 was the biggest engine I could get in the Malibu.

Agreed. Why is the Aura XR mysteriously absent?

215955[/snapback]

Same reason why the Grand Am was left out of 90% of

midsize/sporty/affordable sedan comparisons durring

the entire 1990s.

Of course since the Camry finished first, Toyoguy is proud to post the article. But I'm not sure about the quality of the new Camry. Internet is full of people with complaints and disappointments.

And it's becoming an old people's car.

But for the Malibu, that 3.9L should have never been developped. This is a bean counter's engine.

Now, I can't wait to see the '08 Bu with a 3.6L 6-speed in a comparison test.

a 3.2L and a two speed DOES.

216093[/snapback]

I would have agreed with you Bizz, and I likely would have said something similar to what you and avant1963 said. Why? Because SS used to actually mean you got extra chrome and bucket seats...

However, buyers in this day and age regard SS as performance, and must have a great powertrain and muscle.

So one hand, GM succeeded. The Malibu SS has extra chrome, and a few other bonuses that differentiate it from the pack.

On the other hand, GM failed by sticking in the 3.9 and not having a manual option or 5-6 speed auto...

However, buyers in this day and age regard SS as performance, and must have a great powertrain and muscle.

So one hand, GM succeeded. The Malibu SS has extra chrome, and a few other bonuses that differentiate it from the pack.

On the other hand, GM failed by sticking in the 3.9 and not having a manual option or 5-6 speed auto...

216140[/snapback]

i think we agree in a round about sort of way. while i agree the current SS doesnt beat all of its competitors in performance, its still the top of the line malibu with the best performance. because of that, i think calling it and SS is fine.

i just have a problem understanding people that try to compare old cars with new ones. like, the bitching about the new GTO or the current and L67-powered impala SS.

but hey, how cool was it to click on the link i posted? sweet nova. :)

My guess is because the Aura XR isn't a standout sporty version compared to the XE. It's more of a Galant GTS/Altima 3.5SE/Camry LE V6 competitor. A Redline version would be more appropriate in this group.

215966[/snapback]

possibly, but that hasnt stopped them before. years ago, circa 99, either MT or C&D tested a GP GT against top of the line maximas, etc. iirc, it still managed to not come in last. like i said, it was years ago. :D

Let's see them pull this same stunt 8 months from now with the '08 Malibu and the '07 Camry to see how the Camry comes out then...oh, but wait - that would be unfair, wouldn't it?

215807[/snapback]

They had a family car comparison with an '04 Malibu and the '03 Camry. The Malibu beat it.