My new SATURN AURA XE!

Took delivery last evening of a 2007 Saturn AURA XE in Midnight Blue with Tan Cloth. It has the Convenience Package, Preferred Package, Enhanced Convenience Package, and the upgraded 17" Chromed five-spoked Wheelcovers. Since they got this car on trade from Saturn of Marlow Heights in Maryland, there was a tan pinstripe and VIN Etching already on the car. My salesman knew I didn't want any of that, so I wasn't charged for it! I think I actually like the tan double-pinstripe, so I will keep it on for now.

And to make things better, the lease price they quoted me Wednesday night turned out to be $16 less per month at delivery! So with the GM Supplier Discount, $750 Saturn Oweners Loyalty, $500 GM Cash, and my trade-in, I drove away with a really attractive lease! Plus no money out of pocket meant I took advantage of all these incentives and drove away not worrying how I was going to pay for Thanksgiving & my upcoming Christmas shopping!!!!

Since it was dark when I left the dealership, I wasn't able to get any good pictures, so I'll get some today before we venture out on our errands. Now there's two 2007 Saturns in my driveway, and the wife already stated that when our '05 Envoy lease is up, she wants to get the Outlook! :lol:

UPDATE: My wife did take a picture while we were waiting. Here it is, parked in the delivery area. Not a great pic, but it's first. More to come later!

Posted Image

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Now there's two 2007 Saturns in my driveway, and the wife already stated that when our '05 Envoy lease is up, she wants to get the Outlook!  :lol:

217498[/snapback]

Awesome, and on that last point, I was just about to say the same thing! May as well, just get the full revitalized Saturn line in the driveway :thumbsup:

This sounds like a gorgeous car, and even the pinstripe (much like with us and the dealer trade) is a nice little detail, even if you don't usually like them. Can't wait to see it, especially with the rarely seen chrome base wheels.

Definately not a frumpy like the Malibu, even if they do have a lot of the same guts underneath.

Edited by caddycruiser

Sweet ride, Roger. I've got a new respect for the Aura now that I've seen it in person. Lots of luck with it.

Hmm...Looks like you got chrome-covered steel wheels there. Me likey.

Took delivery last evening of a 2007 Saturn AURA XE in Midnight Blue with Tan Cloth.

midnight blue... is that like avant's Malibu ss's color?

looks sharp! is the power of the engine noticably different than the Malibu you had

midnight blue...  is that like avant's Malibu ss's color?

looks sharp!  is the power of the engine noticably different than the Malibu you had

217657[/snapback]

Nope, think really dark blue vs. the brighter blue used on the SS.

The Midnight Blue, code 25U, is different than the Laser Blue of the Malibu SS. It is much darker - almost black at night. I really wanted this color for the SKY, but with the black leather, I thought that combo was too dark; with the tan interior on the AURA, the blue is just right.

There's a lot of differences I've noticed with the AURA over the Malibu. The engine, while being similar, is more potent off the line and smoother. The quiet-tuning (sorry to use a Buick-term) really makes this car very quiet inside and outside road noise is nil (Malibu had too much road noise). The suspension, ride & handling are much better in the AURA than the Malibu. So far I'm very impressed with the AURA; I liked the Malibu but didn't love it. The main reason - the styling. The AURA's design & styong are what I like, and I was always impressed with the 3.5 liter V6 so teh improvements made to it will be greatly appreciated.

As for the wheel trim, I will say this was one option I wasn't too thrilled with. I've never owned a car with steel wheels & wheel covers, and I was hoping that the chromed wheel covers weren't going to look too "Wal-Mart-ish". Seeing it waiting for me at delivery settled those concerns. They really add to the overall look of the car and are very shiny. From a distance, the gray-painted and chromed wheelcovers look very similar to the aluminum wheel design offered on the restyled 2000+ Cadillac Catera (I'll try to find a pic to prove this).

I couldn't get out to take pics today (too cloudy & gray), so if tomorrow is better then look for some decent pics to be posted in the evening. And yes, Christmas did come early at my house!!!

Hope she enjoys it a lot more than the Malibu!

217566[/snapback]

You've got it backwards there... she was happy with the Malibu, I was the one who wanted to get rid of it. Other than stupid luck (small accidents happened all the time), it was too appliance-like for me and I like to be inspired by the cars I own. The Malibu was an okay car for me - I liked the engine, was happy with the 4-speed auto, liked the dash layout & ease of use, and thought the trunk offered an enormus amount of room. But the road & wind noise, exterior styling, ride feel, and electric power steering left little to admire. If you aren't "into" cars and only care that they get you from point A to point B, then the Malibu was the car for you. :P But I can see that the wife alrady likes the AURA much more than she'll admit, and more than the Malibu.

From a distance, the gray-painted and chromed wheelcovers look very similar to the aluminum wheel design offered on the restyled 2000+ Cadillac Catera (I'll try to find a pic to prove this).

217760[/snapback]

That's just what I was thinking too--just like a '00-01 Catera Sport. They look great, and you certainly picked a stunning color combo!

Damn, nice car. Great color combo!

...Now there's two 2007 Saturns in my driveway, and the wife already stated that when our '05 Envoy lease is up, she wants to get the Outlook!  :lol:

217498[/snapback]

Whaaa? You need a GMC in there somewhere. *cough* Acadia *cough*

Here are two shots I was able to take today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

TED, you're 100% on target there. I must sya that I really do like the OUTLOOK a lot. I have seen it twice now in person (Ocean Mist & Pearl White) and it really is a nice looking vehicle. I'm waiting to see the Acadia, as I won't rule out a GMC in my driveway either! :lol: I just think it would be funny to have an all-Saturn driveway (razoredge's nightmare, btw :P )

More pictures to come, especially when the sun decides to come out so the blue really shines.

Posted Image

Posted Image

TED, you're 100% on target there.  I must sya that I really do like the OUTLOOK a lot.  I have seen it twice now in person (Ocean Mist & Pearl White) and it really is a nice looking vehicle.  I'm waiting to see the Acadia, as I won't rule out a GMC in my driveway either!  :lol:  I just think it would be funny to have an all-Saturn driveway (razoredge's nightmare, btw :P )

More pictures to come, especially when the sun decides to come out so the blue really shines.

217927[/snapback]

I just got to check out and sit in both the Outlook and Acadia yesterday at the car show. The Outlook was nice, but the Acadia seemed nicer...particularly inside...and you need to keep a GMC anyway!

Posted Image

Posted Image

TED, you're 100% on target there.  I must sya that I really do like the OUTLOOK a lot.  I have seen it twice now in person (Ocean Mist & Pearl White) and it really is a nice looking vehicle.  I'm waiting to see the Acadia, as I won't rule out a GMC in my driveway either!  :lol:  I just think it would be funny to have an all-Saturn driveway (razoredge's nightmare, btw :P )

217927[/snapback]

Compare that to this turd (sorry, just HAD to say it because it's true):

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and the stunning quality of the Aura is even more apparent :thumbsup:

Hey GM,

CONGRATULATIONS ... love that color combo. And, definitely the Aura is MUCH better than the malibu.....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I wanna drive" ... Trace Adkins ... '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

Took delivery last evening of a 2007 Saturn AURA XE in Midnight Blue with Tan Cloth. It has the Convenience Package, Preferred Package, Enhanced Convenience Package, and the upgraded 17" Chromed five-spoked Wheelcovers. Since they got this car on trade from Saturn of Marlow Heights in Maryland, there was a tan pinstripe and VIN Etching already on the car.  My salesman knew I didn't want any of that, so I wasn't charged for it!  I think I actually like the tan double-pinstripe, so I will keep it on for now.

And to make things better, the lease price they quoted me Wednesday night turned out to be $16 less per month at delivery! So with the GM Supplier Discount, $750 Saturn Oweners Loyalty, $500 GM Cash, and my trade-in, I drove away with a really attractive lease! Plus no money out of pocket meant I took advantage of all these incentives and drove away not worrying how I was going to pay for Thanksgiving & my upcoming Christmas shopping!!!!

Since it was dark when I left the dealership, I wasn't able to get any good pictures, so I'll get some today before we venture out on our errands. Now there's two 2007 Saturns in my driveway, and the wife already stated that when our '05 Envoy lease is up, she wants to get the Outlook!  :lol:

UPDATE:  My wife did take a picture while we were waiting.  Here it is, parked in the delivery area.  Not a great pic, but it's first.  More to come later!

217498[/snapback]

rookin good , man! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments so far. Almost 600 miles and no real complaints (I'm not too thrilled with the non leather-wrapped steering wheel, although I'm getting use to it more every time I drive the AURA).

Anyway, snapped a few more pictures that I wanted to share. Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

It's just a stunning looker, and the terrific driving dynamics just make it that much better--all for a price that, at least on XE's like yours, is almost shocking for what you get.

And as was said, those rarer wheels DEFINATELY dress it up even more, and look great with the dark blue.

Any other things, good or bad, you notice after living with the '04 Malibu and its similar guts for a few years?

Very nice looking in the dark blue! So the upgraded wheels----still have the wheelcovers on them?

I drove an XE---it was really nice but a dog off the line---decent mid-top end though---it even sounded good.

224780[/snapback]

Those wheels are still the pressed on wheel covers, just chromed instead of silver painted.

Very nice looking in the dark blue! So the upgraded wheels----still have the wheelcovers on them?

I drove an XE---it was really nice but a dog off the line---decent mid-top end though---it even sounded good.

224780[/snapback]

Yes, those wheels are the new five-spoked steel rims with the plastic wheelcovers, but chromed - just like caddycruiser stated already. I wasn't sure if I was really going to like them (always had aluminum rims on all my vehicles), but they definitely look nice with the dark blue. And since it's a leased car, I won't be changing them out (that thought crossed my mind right before taking delivery).

As for 3500 V6 in the XE, I don't think it's a dog off the line. I drove a 2004 Malibu LT with that engine (200 hp) for 3 years prior to the AURA and that was one of the things I liked about the car (and that engine was completely trouble-free for the 43K+ miles I had it). The upgraded 3500 with 224 hp feels more powerful to me. The interior is very quiet, so I haven't heard the engine yet (I'm sure when the windows are down in the warmer weather I'll notice the sound). Again, this car continues to impress me everytime I drive it.

I don't have it with me today, and by the time the wife gets home with it, it will be too dark to get interior pictures. But I will do it soon and post them here ASAP.

I'm sorry, those are HUBCAPS, you know, plastic things, they now make 18" steel wheels with HUBCAPS???!!! And I thought the Relay's 17" steel wheels and hubcaps were big...

The wheels are very convincing.  I actually like them over most alloys.

Congrats on the purchase!

225028[/snapback]

That's the point, as was said in a few different articles a couple years back. Steels wheels are cheaper to make and more durable, so if you can design them to look like attractive aluminum wheels, why not? Hence, the price of the car can be lower, and for most buyers, they could care less.

In this case it worked out great, as those standard Aura XE wheels are one of the best looking designs--same for the new base G6 wheels.

As for 3500 V6 in the XE, I don't think it's a dog off the line.  I drove a 2004 Malibu LT with that engine (200 hp) for 3 years prior to the AURA and that was one of the things I liked about the car (and that engine was completely trouble-free for the 43K+ miles I had it).  The upgraded 3500 with 224 hp feels more powerful to me.  .

224999[/snapback]

Probably a matter of personal preference. Although the Aura weighs a few hundred lbs more the the Malibu--offsetting some of the hp.

Plus I am at nearly 5000 density altitude feet which does not help matters.

But the Aura XR I drove spun hard off the line--fighting for traction but the 6 speed auto playa a big role in that.

I was very surpised at the wheels--how they are styled in the design of the hupcaps. Never seen that before--that is different

Edited by avro206