Favorite Christmas songs

sciguy_0504

Now that it's after Thanksgiving (in the U.S. and Canada) I can start talking about Christmas and everything that comes along with it: decorating, cookies, parties, gifts, snow (hopefully), etc. I think I've learned this rule from my parents who have followed it to the 'T.'

A local radio station began playing an all-Christmas playlist about two weeks ago, I believe, and that got my thinking about Christmas songs. I downloaded a bunch yesterday in my spare time and now I have a question for my fellow C&Gers.

What is your favorite Christmas song?

Personally, I like "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo" by Trans Siberian Orchestra, "Where Are You Christmas?" by Faith Hill and "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey, both modern non-traditional songs. I'll be seeing Trans Siberian for the first time next month in Philly so if anyone here has seen the group before what should I expect?

I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music. It all starts too early and I get sick of it before Christmas even gets here. Having said that, there are two that I do like to hear a couple of times each season. "Merry Christmas Darling" by Karen Carpenter (does that make me lame?) and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", a duet by Bare Naked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan.

Oh, where do I begin? Christmas is my all-time favorite holiday! The wife and I started to decorate the house today (we don't go overboard - no Chevy Chase/Christmas Vacation here!), and I'll add some decorative lighting outside tomorrow. Christmas music has been playing on one Philly radio station since Nov. 1 and I've been moderately listening to it, but that will change over this weekend. I just got my 20 or so Christmas CDs out & ready to take with me on the road and into work.

As for my favorite songs, there's a version of "Jingle Bells" by Frank Sinatra that I really like and can't find on CD or on Itunes, but here's a "small" list:

White Christmas - The Drifters

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) - Alvin & The Chipmunks

Someday at Christmas - Stevie Wonder

The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole

Christmas Time - Ray Charles

Blue Holiday - The Shirelles

A Marshmallow World - Dean Martin

The Christmas Waltz - Frank Sinatra

Kissin' By The Mistletoe - Aretha Franklin

Parade of the Wooden Soldiers - Harry Connick, Jr.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Mariah Carey

Trust me, this is just a small sampling of the songs I really, really like to hear during the holiday season. I'm not kidding when I say I have at least 20 CDs on just Christmas music!!!

I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake

Any and all sung by either Nat or Natalie Cole

Trans Siberian is awsome. The show I saw last year was two parts. The first was the Christmas story, its narrated and has many vocalists. Most of its guitar based classical influenced tastefull metal, with a small orchestra filling in. Still its primarily guitar and drum driven...............which I love.

Second half is other songs from the band. The band evolved from Savatage members. Writers Jon Oliva and co-writer - producer Paul O'Neill who has a long history himself. One of which was the touring guitar player for Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar, thus explaining his opera or story approach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_O%27Neil...ock_producer%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savatage

"Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24" is actually from Savatages "Dead Winters Dead" which was about the insane war in Sarajevo in the early 90's when they destroyed the ancient city over BS. It was an opera of sorts and the success of that spured Trans Siberian. You will actually hear portions of whats sometime called "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" but I believe its origionally a Beethoven movement.

I actually have no TSO but a full library of Savatage.

Streets

Dead Winters Dead

The Wake of Magellan

are all "rock operas"

"Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses (or my favorite, the Spice Girls cover)

other than that...meh not really into Christmas music.

I like Sandler's Chanukah Song though...

ETA: How could I forget NKOTB's "Funky Funky Xmas"???? Another favorite...

Edited by Croc

"Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses (or my favorite, the Spice Girls cover)

219761[/snapback]

Croc, you crack me up. :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks, Razor, for that information about Trans-Siberian. I'm really looking forward to the show.

Great tune!

Also:

2000 Miles - Pretenders

And the Jethro Tull Christmas song (the title escapes me at the moment)

219983[/snapback]

Ive heard that Tull on the radio, they could do a great job with many of them, put that Ol' English folk feel into it.

I was going to mention the Lennon song but I dont know the real name........? So this is Christmas ?

I was looking for the lyrics for Lakes song but I guess you need to register on those sites or something ?

I did a search and got lost in "Tull Land" until just now. :lol:

The song is called "A Christmas Song" :duh:

It seems that Tull released an entire Christmas Album a few years back that sound fantastic and I may have to find it. It is a mix of some Tull versions of standard Christmas songs, Old seasonal Tull gems, and Tull written Christmas songs.

Fires at Midnight is on it.

I'll see if I can find the Greg Lake lyrics.

I Believe In Father Christmas

They said there'll be snow at Christmas

They said there'll be peace on Earth

But instead it just kept on raining

A veil of tears for the Virgin's birth

I remember one Christmas morning

A winters light and a distant choir

And the peal of a bell and that Christmas Tree smell

And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas

They sold me a Silent Night

And they told me a fairy story

'Till I believed in the Israelite

And I believed in Father Christmas

And I looked at the sky with excited eyes

'Till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn

And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas

I wish you a brave New Year

All anguish pain and sadness

Leave your heart and let your road be clear

They said there'll be snow at Christmas

They said there'll be peace on Earth

Hallelujah Noel be it Heaven or Hell

The Christmas you get you deserve.

Bob Rivers

EDIT:

I gotta find some good death metal xmas music now too. Anyone here listen to that kind of music with some suggestions? There's Slayride by Frightmare... but that's all I know of.

Edited by mjdecker

Thanks Camino

about sums it up doesnt it

"Fires at Midnight" yes indeed, one of my favorite love songs. "Songs from the Wood" I need to get on CD for my old album hasnt been played in over a decade nearly two.

I believe in fires at midnight

when the dogs have all been fed

A golden toddy on the mantle

a broken gun beneath the bed

Silken mist outside the window

Frogs and Newts slip in the dark

Too much hurry ruins a body

I'll sit easy, fan the spark

Kindled by the dying ambers

of another working day

Go upstairs take off your makeup

fold your clothes neatly away

Me, I'll sit and write this love song

as I all to seldom do

build another fire this midnight

It's good to be back home with you

a great song for the season, I just bought "Stand Up" in part of my library renewal program. Thick as a Brick and Aqualung are the ones I look most forward too. In stores most Tull stuff is "best of's" which I want no part of.

This one made the Christmas album too:

Ring Out, Solstice Bells

Now is the solstice of the year,

winter is the glad song that you hear.

Seven maids move in seven time.

Have the lads up ready in a line.

Ring out these bells.

Ring out, ring solstice bells.

Ring solstice bells.

Join together beneath the mistletoe.

by the holy oak whereon it grows.

Seven druids dance in seven time.

Sing the song the bells call, loudly chiming.

Ring out these bells.

Ring solstice bells.

Praise be to the distant sister sun,

joyful as the silver planets run.

Seven maids move in seven time.

Sing the song the bells call, loudly chiming.

Ring out those bells.

Ring solstice bells.

Ring on, ring out.

Ring on, ring out.

I'm not big on christmas music myself, because all I hear at work are the same damn songs every year but by 70 different people each. Although I must say I do like the ELP song that was quoted earlier, and a song that probably nobody else has heard:

"Santa's got a GTO" by the Ramones.

Sadly enough it was left off on the Anthology set in favor of "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight With You)", which is definetly nowhere near as good. And when I say "nowhere-near-as-good", I mean "wear-your-skip-ahead-button-out" nowhere near as good.

EDIT: Okay, I also have to admit to likeing "Run, run Rudolph" and "Li'l Saint Nick"

Edited by Turbojett

I really enjoy 'Christmas Eve/Sarajevo' by The Trans Siberian Orchestra but it takes a back seat to most everything done my Mannheim Steamroller. Their version of 'Stille Nacht' still is one of my favorite songs even after about 20 years. I enjoy their entire first Christmas album. After that, most Christmas music doesn't do much for me. Its fine to listen to but gets old very quick.

I tend to like Ol' English Christmas songs...like 'The Holly and the Ivy' type....like King Arthur and his men might have sung around the big table.

219919[/snapback]

Technically KIng arthur and his knights would have sung in Latin or Old Welsh (There are albums like that though). Edited by thegriffon

I though of some no one mentioned. Maybe its seasonal tradition since I was young or for whatever reasons.... the songs from Charlie Brown Christmas just make me feel Christmas inside...like in my soul. The soundtracks for Charlie Brown were always great. I forget who that pianist was, just good stuff in my opinion.

Christmas music's not my favorite type, especially considering the fact that it's shoved down our throats en masse starting in September. That said, there are a few songs I like that come around during Christmas time:

-Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Eve/Sarajevo

-Last Christmas by Jimmy Eat World

-a song I only know by ear

-and this parody of the 12 Days of Christmas...I hear it about 2 times every year, which is probably why I don't hate it as much as the regular song.

I like Sandler's Chanukah Song though...

219761[/snapback]

Ditto...like the lyric "put them together...that's a fine looking Jew," among others. He is obnoxious, but that's what makes it funny.

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" - once had 6 business school grads in a rented Bonneville driving to a mutual friends' December wedding singing along to this on the radio since we had been making fun of everyone and everything we saw and were in one of those irreverent moods.

Others:

Considering I H-A-T-E country, Dolly Parton's "Hard Candy Christmas." Beautiful voice. Are her projectiles sagging by now? :lol:

"Christmas in the Northwest" - regional song, kind of country I guess, but as the refrain says "Christmas in the Northwest...a gift God wrapped in green." Corny but quaint.

Edited by trinacriabob

I though of some no one mentioned. Maybe its seasonal tradition since I was young or for whatever reasons.... the songs from Charlie Brown Christmas just make me feel Christmas inside...like in my soul. The soundtracks for Charlie Brown were always great. I forget who that pianist was, just good stuff in my opinion.

222398[/snapback]

How could I forget the Charlie Brown Christmas music? True classics right there.

DetroitNut, that parody of "12 Days of Christmas" is called "12 Pains of Christmas." I heard it the other day for the first time this year. It still cracks me up, especially the feminine guy screaming about Christmas cards.

The Best one from Da Yoopers

(car start) C'mon, c'mon!

(car start) C'mon, you can do it!

(car engine kicking in) Alright! (music starts)

Dashing through the snow in my rusty Chevrolet.

Down the road I go, sliding all the way.

I need new piston rings. I need some new snow tires.

My car is held together by a piece of chicken wire!

Oh, rust and smoke, the heater's broke, the door just blew away.

I light a match to see the dash and then I start to pray-ay.

The frame is bent, the muffler went, the radio's okay.

Oh, what fun it is to drive this rusty Chevrolet!

I went to IGA, to get some Christmas cheer.

I just passed up my left front tire and it's gettin' hard to steer.

Speeding down the highway, right past the county cops.

I have to drag my swampers just to get the car to stop.

Oh, what fun it is to drive this rusty Chevrolet!

Bouncing through the snowdrifts in a big, blue cloud of smoke.

People laugh as I drive by; I wonder what's the joke!

I have to get to Wal-Mart to pick up my layaway,

Cause Santa's comin' soon in his big, old, rusty sleigh!

Oh, what fun it is to drive this rusttttttttty Chevroooooooleeeeeet!

Actually, I like all Christmas music. I just turned on one of the Christmas channels on XM the other day, but haven't really driven around much, so I can't wait for the drive home to listen to it in a couple weeks.

Anyway, yes, I'm all about Christmas music like I just posted. The entire season just brings a smile to my face.

How could I forget the Charlie Brown Christmas music?  True classics right there.

DetroitNut, that parody of "12 Days of Christmas" is called "12 Pains of Christmas."  I heard it the other day for the first time this year.  It still cracks me up, especially the feminine guy screaming about Christmas cards.

222825[/snapback]

Really...they never announce it's name on the radio. My favorite is the 5 months of bills.

Now that I think about it, Feliz Navidad's tolerable as well.

The soundtracks for Charlie Brown were always great. I forget who that pianist was, just good stuff in my opinion.

222398[/snapback]

Something tells me David Benoit, but I can't be sure...does that sound familiar?

Vince Guaraldi was the pianist for Charlie Brown Christmas.

223580[/snapback]

Thanks for the correction. You're right: Guaraldi has a faster pace whereas Benoit is a little more relaxed. And Charlie Brown music has a little bit of that brisker pace he typically showcases.