Flybrian

GM Hummer O2

By the Manufacturer

Director: Frank Saucedo

Strategy: Steve Anderson

Concept & Design: Jussi Timonen & Jose Paris

3D Modeling: Loren Kulesus, Jussi Timonen & Jose Paris

"THE HUMMER THAT BREATHES"

Why can’t a car give back to our environment? We are each responsible for a damaging and non-productive "carbon footprint"- the effect our daily lives have on the earth’s environment.

The HUMMER O2 is an automotive concept which explores the use of basic science principles that would result in a reversal of our daily toll on the surrounding environment. The HUMMER O2 represents the first time a vehicle has been designed to give back to our environment, in essence, an environmental NET GAIN over the lifespan of the vehicle. The HUMMER O2 concept features a revolutionary phototropic body shell that produces pure oxygen throughout the lifespan of the vehicle. It's actually quite simple, algae-filled body panels transform harmful CO2 into pure oxygen that is subsequently released back into the environment. To further reduce environmental impact, the O2's construction specifies the use of 100% post consumer materials like aluminum (frame), VOC-free finishes (seats) and PETE (glazing).

Details:

PHOTOSYNTHESIS The phototropic body panels function as the "leafs" of the O2. Each one contains an optimized photobioreactor where a solution of algae and water transforms toxic carbon dioxide into pure oxygen. The oxygen is then released back into the environment as well as inside the cockpit. Oil changes are replaced by annual algae replacement. The used algae are then recycled as biomass for the production of energy.

BREATHING The flow of Co2 and oxygen is regulated by a two-way valve system ("Mistic Devices" TM) in the corner of each panel. These sophisticated devices control and monitor the amount of CO2 and source nutrition needed for the algae cultivation and optimize oxygen production and distribution.

STRUCTURE A central aluminum "tree" creates a perfect hexagonal structure that both protects the central hydrogen tank and supports the external structural body panels. The stiff body panels transform the tree intro a safe enclosed spaceframe taking care of side impact protection. Front and rear caps connect the powertrain and suspension ("roots") firmly to the "tree".

Energy Four modular and self-contained fuel cells power the hydraulic motors attached to each wheel. New water-based hydraulic fluid is used. The hydrogen tank is found in an ideal central location for both safety and structural purposes, becoming this way the literal and metaphorical "heart" of the vehicle.

FOOTPRINT Active Tread TM tires provide optimum low resistance when driving on the highway while still allowing good off-road progress as their shape changes, adapting to and protecting the soil.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Link to Full Article @ Automobile Online

So this is the concept.....that's a true concept, real interesting-I can't wait to draw this! And I thought the Jeep Treo was a stretch for the brand... Its interesting this O2 can transform into multiple body styles, can't wait to see more pictures!

This is cool. Kind of a "f@#k you" to the tree huggers who stigmatize Hummer as fuel-frivilous leviathans.

220478[/snapback]

Serious "F. U." to the huggers. It might make a decent commuter car if it can go far enough in a day, and the photosynthesis+fuel cell part DOES appeal to my environmentally-conscious side (though I'll still drive my trucks on weekends and long trips, thanks :) Plus, the Hummer-meets-Mars Rover-meets-Tumbler styling certainly is interesting...

By far the coolest 3d concept this year!!!

Wacky, I love it.

Once again, WHY is this concept being universally ignored by the media?!?!

An environmental Hummer concept... I guess it might go too far in swaying some of their elitest audiences opinions.

223780[/snapback]

Once again, BECAUSE it is a 3D MODEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't exist!

Edited by empowah