2007 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Flybrian

Apparently, this was obtained via Chrysler's English (meaning United Kingdom) site...?

PRESS RELEASE:

CHRYSLER REVEALS STUNNING SEBRING CABRIO AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW

Link to Full Article @ Autoblog

Posted Image

Chrysler Group has today revealed the new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio that will be launched in the UK at the end of 2007.

All UK models will feature a retractable hard roof that folds into three sections and stows in less than 30 seconds. Standard roof system features include remote control operation from the key fob, standard powered tonneau cover and automatic latching.

Right hand drive models will be available with a 2.7-litre V6 petrol engine with six-speed automatic gearbox offering 189 horsepower and 191 lb-ft of torque. A 2.0-litre turbo diesel engine with six-speed manual will also be available with140 horsepower and 229 lb-ft of torque.

Peter Lambert, Managing Director of Chrysler Group, said: "Over the last decade the Sebring has been America's favourite convertible and this latest model is ideal for European markets with a folding hard roof and choice of petrol and diesel engines.

"The new Sebring is a stunning four seat two-door Cabrio that will offer outstanding value for money compared to competitors like the Saab 9-3 and Audi A4 in the UK. The Cabrio offers more than enough room for four adults plus exceptional cargo space. It is three inches longer than the Sebring saloon and there is luggage space for four golf bags with the roof up and two golf bags when the roof is retracted."

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

"Stunning" is a bit too strong of a word to use for it. It's better looking than the sedan, but the side profile is just way too busy.

Can someone officially declare the droopy headlights trend "dead" so that Chrysler can stop making their cars with them?

Interesting..first time the Sebring convertible and sedan have shared front ends, I think..looks smaller than the previous model.

221302[/snapback]

Yeah, but that's because they weren't originally planned to be part of the same model family. The 1st-gen Sebring sedan was just a freshened Chrysler Cirrus.

I need to see more photos to make a final decision but I can tell right from this angle that the end is way too bulky. I'd say that the Volvo C70, VW Eos, and Pontiac G6 convertable (the sebring's direct competitor) all beat this car in the styling department. This seems to be geared towards anyone over the age of 50 while the other cars are aimed at the younger set. Whether or not the fact that this is aimed directly at a demographic that still has the most buying power will be positive for Chrysler remains to be seen but I'm willing to bet that baby boomers would want to be seen in something a little more youth-oriented a la the Scion effect.

Edited by Cadillacfan

That said, the Eos looks nicer and so does the C70. However IMO it looks way better than the G6 vert...not that it takes much.

221474[/snapback]

Since you're speaking of looks, the exterior of the Pontiac G6 convertible is fine (with many saying it's attractive.) The G6's problems are interior materials and lack of storage space.

IMO, the G6 convertible comes across as more expensive and refined compared to the Sebring convertible (based on the pics.) There are just too many things wrong with the exterior styling of the Sebring convertible. The same Sebring interior has already disappointed from the sedan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since you're speaking of looks, the exterior of the Pontiac G6 convertible is fine (with many saying it's attractive.) The G6's problems are interior materials and lack of storage space.

IMO, the G6 convertible comes across as more expensive and refined compared to the Sebring convertible (based on the pics.) There are just too many things wrong with the exterior styling of the Sebring convertible. The same Sebring interior has already disappointed from the sedan.   

Posted Image

221487[/snapback]

Hmm, that's not a bad pic, actually makes it look alright. However the rear sucks just as bad as the Sebring IMO. I've sat in the new Sebring, the interior materials are fine, only the Fusion beats it (I've sat in that, a Camry, Accord, Aura, and more so I can say this with experience).

Croc knows what I mean. I should have articulated my point better. The seams throw the entire look and effect off, IMO. The XLR is, so far, the only one that looks good and that's because it has a 2-piece top and is designed well.

I've sat in the new Sebring, the interior materials are fine, only the Fusion beats it (I've sat in that, a Camry, Accord, Aura, and more so I can say this with experience).

221512[/snapback]

I've sat in the Sebring also, and only the current Malibu has worse plastics. The Sebring interior is practically all hard plastic.

Then you have to look at what engines are going to be available in the Sebring convertible. They won't match the G6 GTP's 3.6l.

OK in light of the new pictures:

LIKES: General exterior styling. I think it looks good, much better than the fixed-roof version and certainly an improvement over the outgoing model. Top down is much better than top up, of course. Interior design is superb. Trunk space looks generous.

DISLIKES: Awkward roof panel seams when top up. Interior materials look like typical Mopar $h!. Rear seating area looks stark and rubbermaid. C'mon Chrysler, this isn't the 90s and your parent company is making the difference between the Tristar and Wings way too apparent.

The interior and exterior styling makes me gag. The dash is horrendous. I LOVED the original Sebring, and it's just been getting worse and worse with each modification.

I'd take a G6 convertible over a Sebring any day. Fix the G6 interior and I'd consider one.

A lot of what everyone is saying about the Sebring vert, I've thought about the G6. I think the G6 coupe is too far away from being great looking (I'll call it good), but I think the vert is hideous. With the top down it looks ok, but the trunk is about the most awkward looking thing I've ever seen. And what's up with the spoiler/third brake light? I agree with whoever said it before, three piece hard tops don't look good with the top up. I actually like the sebring vert and seperate from the interior, I don't like the sedan. I went to a local auto show expecting to hate the interior on the Sebring and actually really liked it. While I'll admit I have a slight Mopar bias, I think some of you are trying too hard not to like this car. This will be a good seller for Chrysler.

221487[/snapback]

Really. I'm not much of a fan of either the G6 coupe or conv but its a hell of alot better looking than the Sebring.

I've sat in the new Sebring, the interior materials are fine, only the Fusion beats it (I've sat in that, a Camry, Accord, Aura, and more so I can say this with experience).

221512[/snapback]

So have I and I think you must be crazy. The Sebring's interior is typical DCX cheap.

Point taken.  I think the XLR works it because it only needs a 2-piece top.  To me, all the seams for the different panels just ruin the rooflines, but since the XLR shares the panel seam with the door cutline, it looks a hell of a lot better.

221669[/snapback]

Agree. Not only the cutlines, but the shape of the hardtops look horrible as well. I'd much rather just have a softtop. Yes, I'm talking about looks. :P

So have I and I think you must be crazy. The Sebring's interior is typical DCX cheap.

Not really. They may not be class leading, however I remember the upper dash, steering wheel, and center arm rest being soft. I forget about the doors. That's about the same amount of soft materials as I remember feeling in the Aura. The Camry I didn't spend much time in, but that A-pillar was horrible, I can't remember about the rest of the plastics. The Accord had it's share of hard materials on the lower dash and door panels as well. I would hbe willing to say the Sebring's plastics aren't as well textured, but they aren't horrible. They aren't the best either. They ARE light years ahead of the car it replaces.

Interesting..first time the Sebring convertible and sedan have shared front ends, I think..looks smaller than the previous model.

221302[/snapback]

No, not the first time.

The previous generation shared the front clip (and interiors, chassis, etc.) of the sedan.

The first generation (JA-based, successor to the K-based J-body LeBaron Coupe and Convertible) only shared the interior design/dash.

The exterior of the Sebring versus Cirrus was quite different, and technically befitting of the different nameplate.

I agree that the Three-pointed Star is making this differentiation between itself and the "inferior, boxy American cars" bearing the Five-pointed Star/Wings way too much.

I read on Allpar.com that Mercedes-Benz considered Chrysler to be a maker of boxy, unappealing automobiles. Guess M-B was behind the times in the `90's. Chrysler made some of their sexiest, swoopiest cars and concepts during this time period. A time when a Mercedes-Benz sedan made a brick building look curveaceous.

Please. The only reason I really feel that some of Chrysler's latest styling is suffering might be because they need to live "down to" Daimler's expectations of the company.

Afterall, Chrysler ultimately needs to phone "home" to Stuttgart anymore to do anything, don't they?

This week's Autoweek magazine has an article about this car. Customers have a choice of vinyl, cloth, or the hardtop. You can get the top model with a cloth top. I am interested in seeing a Limited with a cloth top, hoping that it looks better than the hardtop. (Please... look better.)

EDIT: yeah, there's a photo of the car at Chrysler's website with the fabric top. Looks much better, imo. I still wish the G6 could be had with a traditional cloth top.

Edited by ocnblu

I've sat in the Sebring also, and only the current Malibu has worse plastics. The Sebring interior is practically all hard plastic.

Then you have to look at what engines are going to be available in the Sebring convertible. They won't match the G6 GTP's 3.6l.

221731[/snapback]

I sat in the new Sebring as well, and was really amazed at how bad it looked and felt. The Aura just blows the Sebring away (looked over both in detail in the showroom) Also, I think the Malibu's interior is nicer than the Sebring as well (friend had an '06 Mali LTZ before trading on a Silverado)