Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FIRST LOOK: 2008 Saturn AURA Green Line

GM @ LAIAS

2008 Saturn AURA Green Line Press Release

:forum:2008 Saturn AURA Green Line Image Gallery

For release: Nov. 29, 2006, 12 p.m. EST

Posted Image

2007 SATURN AURA GREEN LINE HYBRID SEDAN OFFERS AFFORDABILITY AND IMPRESSIVE FUEL ECONOMY

LOS ANGELES –The Saturn Aura Green Line hybrid, introduced at the Los Angeles International Auto Show, will deliver at least a 25-percent fuel economy improvement over the non-hybrid Aura XE for a premium of less than $2,500.

The Aura Green Line’s base price is expected to start below $23,000.

“The introduction of the Aura Green Line broadens Saturn’s commitment to customers of enabling them to drive green without going broke,” said Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak. “With Green Line variants of both Aura and Vue, Saturn again demonstrates that environmental products can also be a great value.”

The 2007 Aura Green Line will be produced at GM’s Fairfax Assembly Plant, and will be available at Saturn retailers in spring 2007.

The Aura Green Line is equipped with the GM Hybrid system, which reduces fuel consumption fuel via sophisticated controls and a unique electric motor/generator mated to a 2.4L Ecotec VVT four-cylinder engine and Hydra-Matic 4T45 four-speed transmission. This is the same hybrid system that debuted this year in the 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line and will be used in the all-new 2008 Vue Green Line, also being unveiled today at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

“The Saturn Aura Green Line is the first of four hybrids GM will introduce in the 2007 calendar year, more than any other manufacturer,” said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Powertrain. “Equipped with GM’s 2.4L, four-cylinder Ecotec engine and the GM Hybrid system, the Aura Green Line will deliver spirited performance, as well as a significant improvement in overall fuel economy compared to the current Aura.”

Fuel-saving performance

Aura Green Line’s innovative hybrid powertrain is rated at 164 horsepower (122 kW)* at 6400 rpm* and 159 lb.-ft. (215 Nm) of peak torque at 5000 rpm.* While maintaining the vehicle’s sporty feel, the GM Hybrid system seamlessly reduces fuel consumption by:

• Shutting off the engine when the vehicle is stopped, to minimize idling
  • Restarting the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
  • Enabling early fuel shut-off during vehicle deceleration
  • Capturing vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration through regenerative braking to charge the advanced nickel metal hydride battery
  • Performing intelligent battery charging when it is most efficient
The new GM Hybrid system provides additional power, when required, during launch from the electric motor/generator. At wide-open throttle, such as during a passing maneuver, the system enhances acceleration by using the motor/generator to bolster the gasoline engine and achieve maximum power.

The GM Hybrid system also is designed to automatically maintain full accessory functionality when the vehicle is stopped, including climate control, so that hybrid operation is transparent to the driver and passengers. The Aura Green Line delivers an appropriate balance between fuel economy and cabin comfort with an air conditioning system with two selectable modes. The Hybrid A/C mode favors more fuel efficient performance by limiting the draw on the hybrid powertrain, while the normal mode provides maximum passenger comfort in hot climates and enhances defogging performance.

Based on the all-new Saturn Aura midsize sedan

The Aura Green Line hybrid sedan is based on the all-new Aura midsize sedan, which blends Saturn’s new, European-inspired design language and high levels of refinement with the brand’s customer-focused purchase and ownership experience.

The Green Line features the same comprehensive safety package that earned Aura a full five stars in government frontal and side-impact crash tests, placing it among the safest vehicles available. Key standard features include dual-stage frontal, side-curtain and thorax protection air bags, along with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and the OnStar safety and security system.

GM’s hybrid strategy

The Aura Green Line is one of 12 hybrids GM will launch, providing customers with several levels of fuel economy savings at different price points on vehicles ranging from cars to full-size SUVs.

GM launched the world’s first hybrid pickup trucks in 2004. GM also will offer the world’s first two-mode hybrid system for passenger vehicles in the new, full-size Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs in 2007.

Camry Hybrid: $24,220 after tax break

40/38 MPG

192 horsepower

Aura Hybrid: $22,345 after tax break

25/36 MPG

164 horsepower

221786[/snapback]

Wasn't the Camry Hybrid tax credit just cut in half as of October? isn't it only $1,300 for the 2007 Camry Hybrid.

Actually, that aside, there's another interesting comparo:

Camry 4-cyl base, starts at $18k and is rated (and typically gets) 24 city, 33 highway.

Aura Hybrid is around $22k to start and is rated at 25 city, 36 highway.

Two very different powertrains, but this might be another case (like the VUE is turning out, I think), that lower price or not, when people want a Hybrid they also want significantly better mpg numbers. A price more like a gas version but with the Hybrid package only works if the mileage is there to back it up...not the case here.

It'll sell on it's core "Aura merits", probably, but the "green Hybrid" line just is more of a waste than anything, I think. All or nothing--and that's pretty much how the sales turn out.

That's 25/36... no wonder why they didn't tell us.

4-cylinder performance with 4-cylinder fuel economy for 6-cylinder pricing

221783[/snapback]

Where are you getting 25 and 36? I can see it if you use the 3.5L mileage numbers, but that should be 37 or 38 if it's added to the hwy mileage too. Is the XE going to get the 2.4 option by itself soon. Maybe they are using those numbers. The VUE, that has the same powertrain and hybrid system as the Aura, gets 27city, 32hwy. The 2.4 in the G6 gets 23city, 33hwy. If you believe GM 100% , the numbers would be more like 29city and 41hwy. That's rounding up and saying the system will improve mileage 25% to city and hwy mileage. I don't know if I believe the 29/41 numbers either, though. I'm going to wait until official numbers come out.

Where are you getting 25 and 36? I can see it if you use the 3.5L mileage numbers, but that should be 37 or 38 if it's added to the hwy mileage too. Is the XE going to get the 2.4 option by itself soon. Maybe they are using those numbers. The VUE, that has the same powertrain and hybrid system as the Aura, gets 27city, 32hwy. The 2.4 in the G6 gets 23city, 33hwy. If you believe GM 100% , the numbers would be more like 29city and 41hwy. That's rounding up and saying the system will improve mileage 25% to city and hwy mileage. I don't know if I believe the 29/41 numbers either, though. I'm going to wait until official numbers come out.

222216[/snapback]

I don't think I've heard of any 2.4L option coming for the XE, except the one in the Green Line.

Camry Hybrid: $24,220 after tax break

40/38 MPG

192 horsepower

Aura Hybrid: $22,345 after tax break

25/36 MPG

164 horsepower

221786[/snapback]

More like 30/40 <PG for the Aura with the 2.4 ecotec and probably the city mileage will be potentially higher once the official numbers come in. So clearly the Aura is a better deal.

More like 30/40 <PG for the Aura with the 2.4 ecotec and probably the city mileage will be potentially higher once the official numbers come in. So clearly the Aura is a better deal.

222257[/snapback]

25/36 is what's being reported for the Aura right now!

That's why noone was touting projected EPA figures in advance press materials.

Not worth the effort, IMO. Better off offering a 2.0/ 6speed 'MPG' edition.

I don't know if I believe the 29/41 numbers either, though. I'm going to wait until official numbers come out.

222216[/snapback]

Hybrids typically get better mileage in city driving than highway driving, so I wouldn't get too attached to the math we've seen thus far. Maybe the 25% is city while highway improvement is more like 18-20% or something like that. Or the 25% is a mixed cycle figue.

Still isn't great. And its estimated, not EPA certified....

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futu...icles/index.jsp

It's going to be tough explaining the mild hybrid v. dual hybrid distinction in a showroom. Lots of people are going to say 'why bother?'

222348[/snapback]

They never say EPA certified, it's always EPA estimated because that's all they are when it's all said and done, estimates.

Edited by Derek77

164 hp and 35 highway mileage! What the hell happened? Thats 3 LESS hp than the lowest powered 2.4 ecotec in the G6 and 1 mpg MORE highway than the G6, Malibu, Camry automatic and Sonota 4 cylinder models. Why would anybody pay more money for this car when any of those models will sell for thousands less and have less complex drivetrains that have close to or more hp and get about the same highway mileage? Note to GM powertrain; GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note this...

didnt the prius and accord hybrids get their EPA mpg hacked big time because of the new test calculations?  Like by 20-25%?

the new 2007 Altima 4 cylinder non hybrid CVT gets 26/34 mpg I think.  Ponder that.

222553[/snapback]

There are no "new" test calculations yet. The AURA Green Line will get "hacked" too when the time comes.

Interestingly, for '07, the V6 Accord Hybrid MPG increased to 28/35, same as the AURA GL.

And 26/34 MPG for the Altima is very impressive. Wow, I didn't know that.