Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevy Shows Malibu, Announces Fairfax Investment

CSpec

Posted Image

KANSAS CITY, Kan. – General Motors is investing $208 million in the Fairfax Assembly plant to prepare the facility for production of the all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.

The investment covers expansion of the plant’s body shop and the purchase of equipment needed to make the new Malibu . The plant currently builds the Malibu , Malibu MAXX and Saturn Aura, with a Hybrid Saturn Aura scheduled for release in early 2007.

The announcement was made at the plant today during a ceremony that included representatives from GM and the UAW, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, U.S. Representative Dennis Moore, Kansas City Mayor Joe Reardon and other elected officials.

“This investment is a testament to the hard work of the Fairfax employees, the UAW and local and state elected officials to make the plant and business environment competitive,” said Larry Zahner, GM North America Manufacturing Manager. “GM thanks Gov. Sebelius and the Unified Government for working tirelessly to make the State of Kansas and Wyandotte County attractive to business investments.”

Gov. Sebelius led an effort to eliminate the machinery and equipment tax, which will apply to new business investments, such as the one occurring at Fairfax Assembly. Local and state elected officials also were instrumental in securing additional incentives to support the GM investment.

“This is an important step for GM to level the playing field with its competitors in the United States ,” said Fairfax Plant Manager Paul Marr. “It also demonstrates that when business, labor and government work together, we can create an environment where manufacturing can thrive.”

Even with the incentives, Fairfax Assembly will continue to pump millions of dollars into the local and state economies, Marr said. The plant typically pays more than $11 million in real and personal property taxes and the plant’s 2,900 employees receive more than $200 million in pay, much of it pumped into the local and state economies through taxes and personal spending.

“This is a great confidence builder for our members as we move into the next generation of building vehicles at Fairfax Assembly,” said UAW Local 31 Chairman John Melton. “This is a plus. The future of Fairfax Assembly greatly impacts our community as members generously contribute time and money to various schools, churches, charities and local nonprofit organizations.”

Each year Fairfax employees contribute nearly $700,000 to various charitable causes.

Fairfax employees have been honored numerous times for their work, including first place in the entry mid-size cars segment in the 2005 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study and a silver medal in the 2006 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety “Top Safety Picks” awards for the current Malibu . Additionally, both the 2007 Saturn Aura and 2007 Chevy Malibu and Malibu MAXX received the highest safety rating from the National Institute of Highway Safety.

With its current lineup, Fairfax is playing a critical role in GM’s turnaround efforts, as well as increasing market share in the mid-size car segment.

"The all-new 2008 Malibu builds on the success of the current model assembled in Fairfax , and we're proud to have these same employees building the new car with such a high level of quality," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet General manager. "The 2008 Malibu design brings new proportions and a fresh perspective to the mid-size car market, and Fairfax employees are going to help us execute an upscale look and feel with more premium materials and a new level of refinement in this extremely competitive segment.”

The all-new Malibu , which will make its debut in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit , will go on sale in the fourth quarter of 2007. With its dual-port grille design, the 2008 Malibu represents the new face of Chevrolet. It boasts a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance with a longer hood and shorter deck appearance that conveys motion, agility and attitude. The new Malibu also features a number of striking and progressive interiors that use premium materials to demonstrate quality and value not seen before in this segment.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is nice, and the color looks great on it. The wart-nosed Camry has nothing on this. If anything, I think the lower fascia needs some more "flash", but I'd like to see the rest of the car before I make that an official complaint of mine.

I don't think it's the camera work (which is fine, IMO) but the crop that makes it look somewhat snub-nosed.

Hey- look at it this way: overcompensation for 'FWD nose'.

Looks good: this nose on the swoopy fuselage the camo'd spy shot showed is tallying up to a real contemporary shape- should do very well.

I don't think it's the camera work (which is fine, IMO) but the crop that makes it look somewhat snub-nosed.

Hey- look at it this way: overcompensation for 'FWD nose'.

Looks good: this nose on the swoopy fuselage the camo'd spy shot showed is tallying up to a real contemporary shape- should do very well.

229465[/snapback]

I like your take on it, and tend to agree (at this point).

Why would GM release such a low-quality image?

The above certainly doesn't seem like the car insiders have been drooling over.

I'll wait for more pictures before passing final judgment.

Folks, I think we are going to have to wait for more pictures that will tell the whole story.

My two cents:

(1) The angle is bad. It does not portray the length and sleekness the car seems to have as shown by the spy photos. Instead, this angle gives the car a snubby nosed look which I do not think will be the case in real life or for that matter, with better photos. This leads me to my next point....

(2) GM's photography sucks. It always has and always will it seems. Some how, they always manage to make their cars look cheap and boring. Typically, I do not like red and really do not like red with a gray background. If they were going to use red, they should have went with a black background. Also, real world photos in natural light always seem to be better than mock up or studio shots.

(4) The headlights on this car look cheap. Those units look like they came off an old Pontiac Sunbird or worse. The car needs projector units minimum with an option for HID. HIDs have been out for over a decade in the U.S. starting with Lincoln back in the early 1990s. Mazdas have an option, time for Chevy too. I can't believe the Aura doesn't have them. Luckily the Lambdas have the option. I emphasize option because this car is a mainstream offering and having them standard would probably be a bit much yet.

(5) I think the hype around this car was so great we expected a four door Camaro or better. If this car ends up leading in its segment, I think we should be happy. I see it besting the Camry but we have yet to see the NG Accord. The NG Impala should do the trick for bold.

Looking at the whole car, I'd say it looks much more refined then I thought it was going to be. Looks very slick and will definately stick out in a good way against the competition. This vehicle looks more expensive then it actually is. The Ford Fusion isn't looking too hot right now.

It deffinatly looks nice, not out of this world Wow, but does look nice. I think when seen in person and seeing both the new exterior and interior one will see this is a nice all around vehicle. I just hope it will best the Camery by a little bit in every perf spec.

I also really like how they did the hood gap

Edited by BuddyP

Have to see a better picture before I make a final judgement, but the 3/4 view looks pretty good.

Unfortunately the front grill crossbar is a little too thick. It would look better if it was reduced to half it's size.

Just my 2 cents.

Look at the red picture. Try to find the panel gap between its front bumper and fenders. They're so small! And the hood gap is pretty small too. Fricking awesome!

I really, really like this thing so far...

229528[/snapback]

damn... didn't even see them the first time..

nvm my previous post about that then lol

very nice,

but from the red's pic, looks snubby like an aveo...kinda

side note... is the bumper/fenders all one piece?!!!!!

229530[/snapback]

As discussed, I think it is the angle that makes it look more stubby than it actually is. Also, if you look straight up from the lit up parking lights, you can see the panel gap between the bumper and fender. The fact that it is so hard to pick out shows that GM really paid attention to the details on this one. The red pic is horrible. It would have better if they just made us wait until NAIAS. The gray pic, while very small shows a very upscale looking car for the class it is in. It also looks like the gray one could possible have projectors.

Looking at the whole car, I'd say it looks much more refined then I thought it was going to be.  Looks very slick and will definately stick out in a good way against the competition.  This vehicle looks more expensive then it actually is.  The Ford Fusion isn't looking too hot right now.

229507[/snapback]

I agree.

except here's where it will fall apart once the Michigan beancounters get a hold of it

"the interior plastics were subpar"

"power is provided by a 3.5 litre pushrod v6 as its only engine, mated to a four speed automatic transmission. Rear brakes will be drum, in order to keep costs down"

my other issue is GM is having a sick tendency to introduce a new car and then take 10 months etc. to hit the showroom floor.

Edited by regfootball

It doesn't look nearly as aggressive as the spy photos made it out to be. The detailing looks good, better than the Aura, and the overall design is conservative and classy. The downfall is that it looks slightly Korean, IMO, especially the rear door and C pillar, which reminds me of the Hyundai XG (?).

I agree.

except here's where it will fall apart once the Michigan beancounters get a hold of it

"the interior plastics were subpar"

"power is provided by a 3.5 litre pushrod v6 as its only engine, mated to a four speed automatic transmission.  Rear brakes will be drum, in order to keep costs down"

my other issue is GM is having a sick tendency to introduce a new car and then take 10 months etc. to hit the showroom floor.

229537[/snapback]

"curb weight of 3700 lbs is porky for its class"

Is it just me, but does the UNEQUAL split between the upper and the lower grille (and it's pretty damn obvious) bother anyone else?

I worry about stuff like this on buildings I work on, so you can bet I will notice it on a car. It detracts from the car's look, like it was a mistake.

Otherwise, damn fine job, Chevrolet. What, with $ 2.50 a gallon for gas, no 2.2 Ecotec with a few extra "ponies" for the cheapskates (I'm including myself) out there?

Is it just me, but does the UNEQUAL split between the upper and the lower grille (and it's pretty damn obvious) bother anyone else? 

229556[/snapback]

??? it's like that on every new chevy...

does the tahoe, monte carlo, silverado, and impala grilles bother you too?

Edited by jbartley

??? it's like that on every new chevy...

does the tahoe, monte carlo, silverado, and impala grilles bother you too?

229560[/snapback]

The Impala and the Monte (2006 +) have a single snout. Check them out.

On the trucks, there tends to be a taller expanse, so I don't notice it as much. Plus, being a car-only type of person, I don't notice truck styling to the extent I notice car styling.

The Impala and the Monte (2006 +) have a single snout.  Check them out.

On the trucks, there tends to be a taller expanse, so I don't notice it as much.  Plus, being a car-only type of person, I don't notice truck styling to the extent I notice car styling.

229565[/snapback]

i think i see what you're refering to, but it's like they moved the grille up a couple of inches, and added a lower air intake to line up with the foglamps

Edited by jbartley

While it looks refined and clean.....it looks vanilla Japanese now.  Makes me appreciate the wierdness of the Sebring more now.

229575[/snapback]

I think this thing is a hundred times better looking than the Sebring. I'll have to wait to see the execution and details, but from here it looks very promising. Sebring, IMO, is a missed opportunity.

Poor GM and other domestics.  I order to sell a car in this segment, they have to make it look Japanese.

While it looks refined and clean.....it looks vanilla Japanese now.  Makes me appreciate the wierdness of the Sebring more now.

229575[/snapback]

Your attempt to rationalize the ugliness of the Sebring has failed.

Poor GM and other domestics.  I order to sell a car in this segment, they have to make it look Japanese.

229575[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? The Sebring is by far the most repulsive midsize sedan I've laid eyes on in recent years. Distinctive? Yes. Attractive? nein!

Nope...the split bar's Chevy's new grille, like Dodge's crosshairs and Ford's 3-bar. And I think it looks very nice...body-color inserts would look good there, too.