Edmunds Evaluation: Ford Expedition v. Chevy Tahoe

Variance

Edmunds Evaluation: Ford Expedition v. Chevy Tahoe

Posted Image

While the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LT is a nice piece, with a much appreciated dashboard makeover and stout towing performance, the lack of a stowable, adult-friendly third-row seat and a higher price caused it to trail behind its arch-nemesis when the results were tallied. And even though this is an all-new truck, important subsurface chunks of it feel outdated.

Yes, the unanimous judges' decision went to Ford's 2007 Expedition Limited, with its well-sorted steering and handling, controlled ride, very good towing performance and an adult-sized third-row seat that, importantly, folds flat into the floor. And with a sticker price low enough to let one indulge in a few more options or a down payment on a trailer and ATVs, it's hard to go wrong.

Edmunds

The suspension and accompanying packaging issues will hold the T900s back. Why GM didn't upgrade that is just beyond me.

I've noticed a trend with these comparisons: When it's Tahoe v. Expedition, Expedition wins on account of the 3rd row. When it's Suburban v. Expedition EL, Suburban wins.

Why are all Fords so droopy faced these days? :huh:

The suspension and accompanying packaging issues will hold the T900s back.  Why GM didn't upgrade that is just beyond me.

I've noticed a trend with these comparisons:  When it's Tahoe v. Expedition, Expedition wins on account of the 3rd row.  When it's Suburban v. Expedition EL, Suburban wins.

229821[/snapback]

The only Suburban v. Expedition EL comparo I've seen was M/T's... and the Ford won.

If people want third row, they should get the Suburban. I do not think Tahoe should be considered.

230142[/snapback]

it's so big, of course it should. Tahoe is a large sport utility, and should have a better third row seat, since that is the primary reason of getting such a large sport utility. GM should not have sacrificed the IRS.

In this comparison, however, I would only choose the Tahoe. It still looks fresher and better resolved, especially at angles from the rear.

EDIT: I've already seen the refreshed Expy on the road, and it did not look attractive, not even the new front. The interior, on the other hand, has a certain militaristic appeal.

Edited by turbo200

The suspension and accompanying packaging issues will hold the T900s back.  Why GM didn't upgrade that is just beyond me.

I've noticed a trend with these comparisons:  When it's Tahoe v. Expedition, Expedition wins on account of the 3rd row.  When it's Suburban v. Expedition EL, Suburban wins.

229821[/snapback]

Didn't MT pick the Expedition EL over the Suburban a month or two back?

After extensive looks at both Tahoe/Suburban and the Expedition twins, it's shocking how much more user-friendly the Fords are in terms of the rear seats, cargo room, etc.

As much as I like the dash and interior design of the new GMT-900s.....I'm not so sure I'd get them over the Ford.......

If you are really using the SUVs as they were designed, the Fords win easily in my book.

If people want third row, they should get the Suburban. I do not think Tahoe should be considered.

230142[/snapback]

Yeah....but FORD has managed to give us a more-useable third-row seat in a more compact (relatively-speaking) SUV.

Why should GM "force" me to move up to a more ungainly-sized Suburban to get a decent third-row when I want a more manageably-sized vehicle?

BTW....the third-row in a Suburban is little better at all than the one in the Tahoe.....looks like they added the space in the cargo area instead of the third-row area.....(when comparing Suburban and Tahoe at LA)

One big thing noticed after seeing all of these variations on the road - the Suburban looks purposefully-designed; the EL appears to be an afterthought.

But as many people have said already in this and other topics, this is really like choosing between medium prime rib and medium-rare prime rib - you're getting a winner either way from vehicles that are heads and shoulders above anything else in their class...if you can even consider anything else to be part of this class.

One big thing noticed after seeing all of these variations on the road - the Suburban looks purposefully-designed; the EL appears to be an afterthought.

But as many people have said already in this and other topics, this is really like choosing between medium prime rib and medium-rare prime rib - you're getting a winner either way from vehicles that are heads and shoulders above anything else in their class...if you can even consider anything else to be part of this class.

230895[/snapback]

Are you following me again?

:P

(j/k)

This new Expedition takes inspiration for its face from a rather iconic Ford truck face from the past. I like the face of the new Expedition, if for no other reason than this:

Posted Image

Edited by ocnblu

How many people actually use a third row seat anyway? Other than auto reviewers do that many people really care? In the pre- fold flat era, most third row seats I knew about permanently occupied a dark, neglected corner of the owner's garage. Even in old 60s and 70s wagons with a third seat option that I run across today, the third seat is usually in pristine, unused condition.

I'm one that never understood the popularity of the Tahoe vs. the Suburban anyway, the size difference is marginal. I would always opt for the Sub if I were in that market, they are surprisingly agile for their size.

i looked at the new Expy today. Its actually pretty nice. the third row looks very usable. I prefer the Tahoe dash, because its more carlike...however, the grand trucklike interior of the expy is pretty cool too. Both vehicles have well done interiors.

Honestly, I could see owning one if I knew I weren't going to put major bucks in for fuel in one fo these things. These things would be the ultimate road trip vehicle if you didn't want a minivan.

The Ford is very tough and masculine. The Chevy is more accessible and cosmopolitan. Assuming they drive about equal, for me, the good third row execution of the Expy would make it the winner, although both really are winners.

I am guessing that part of the demise of the Freestar was because really, this is a much more attractive 3 row vehicle in Ford's stable than the Freestar is....and the freestar got crappy mileage anyways.

Edited by regfootball

I am guessing that part of the demise of the Freestar was because really, this is a much more attractive 3 row vehicle in Ford's stable than the Freestar is....and the freestar got crappy mileage anyways.

Don't forget the Freestyle, too, which is faster, more efficient, and better handling than the Freestar, AND seats seven more comfortably.

As I said in another thread I accidentally made about this review, we're on our second GMT-800 monster ute, and both parents have already commented many times on how they love the new GMT-900's, but I'd still spend my money on the Ford this time around. I think the GM's do look a bit trimmer and even sportier all around, and I do really like some of the interior aspects, but the Ford just wins hands down in just about every category when directly compared.

Styling is subjective--though I've always liked the Fords just a tad more--but the Ford has much better packaging, performs better in most regards including acceleration even with a bit less power (thoughtful tuning & 6-spd trans help a lot), PLUS is actually still noticeably better and more realistically priced than the GM's which are still overinflated a bit despite reductions this year.

The GM's will probably still sell in bigger numbers, but the Fords could DEFINATELY attract more new buyers if a bigger crop even gave them a quick look on their way to buy their yearly Tahoe/Yukon. I know people with both, both last gens and new 07's, and each loves theirs but the Fords are undeniably better done in a lot of important ways.