FIRST LOOK: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

Flybrian

GM@NAIAS
2008 Chevrolet Malibu Press Release

:forum:2008 Chevrolet Malibu Image Gallery

For release: Jan. 2, 2007, 12:01 a.m. EST
ALL-NEW 2008 CHEVROLET MALIBU DELIVERS SEGMENT-TOPPING COMBINATION OF STYLE, PERFORMANCE AND FUEL ECONOMY

Posted Image

DETROIT – The all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu delivers great performance, fuel economy and refinement, wrapped in a clean, tailored design that carries the new face of Chevrolet. The new Malibu will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show. It arrives at Chevrolet dealerships later this year.

“The 2008 Malibu rewrites Chevrolet’s midsize car strategy, offering a stylish, uncompromising package that stacks up against the most popular competitors,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “We know the competition is very good, and this new Malibu has the goods – both tangible and intangible – to assert a leadership position in the segment and re-affirm Chevrolet’s commitment to expressive cars.”

Indeed, the 2008 Malibu brings a fresh perspective and new proportions to the midsize segment. It is more than three inches (76 mm) longer than the current model, with a six-inch-longer (162 mm) wheelbase that delivers a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance and helps provide a smoother, more direct driving experience. In fact, Malibu's wheelbase is three inches (76 mm) longer than Toyota Camry.

“Malibu is the car our customers have been looking for,” said Peper. “There is more style and content on the new Malibu than any other competitor in the segment.”

The new Malibu is offered in three well-equipped trim levels: LS, LT and LTZ – all with standard head-curtain side air bags and front-seat thorax air bags, OnStar Gen 7 with remote diagnostics, and XM Satellite Radio. StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on LT and LTZ models.

Highlights of the redesigned 2008 Malibu include:
  • All-new refined and contemporary exterior with new dual-port grille design that represents the new face of Chevrolet
  • Twin round taillamps
  • Upscale interior design with available two-tone trim; gauges with Chevrolet blue backlighting
  • Standard head-curtain side air bags and front seat-mounted thorax protection air bags
  • Available 110-volt household-type AC power outlet
  • Refined and technically advanced family of economic DOHC powertrains, including a 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder and a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing
  • Fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission available with both four-cylinder and V-6 engines – a segment exclusive for four-cylinder engines
  • Five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty
  • Four-wheel independent suspension and longer wheelbase that deliver a more controlled, satisfying and confident driving experience
  • Family of large wheels, including 18-inch ultra-bright polished wheels on LTZ
  • Available large, panoramic sunroof
  • Standard tire pressure monitoring system

Design details

With its strong stance and bold proportions, the 2008 Malibu has a profile that reinforces its substantial feel. Clean, pure lines and wheels pushed to the corners, as well as a visually lower yet longer greenhouse and a shorter deck suggest motion, agility and attitude. The body sides are clean and elegant, interrupted only by distinctive, wheel-oriented forms that communicate an aggressive, stable stance and a rear profile that connects to Chevrolet’s rich performance heritage.

The Malibu's dual-port grille is characteristic of the new face of Chevrolet cars and the twin round taillamps are Chevrolet cues, too, with LTZ models distinguished by front fog lamps and LED-lit taillamps. The design elements are complemented with precise details, including minimized panel gaps, a tight wheel-to-body relationship and select use of chrome trim. V-6 models also receive dual chrome exhaust outlets.

The interior’s attention to detail matches the Malibu's exterior, with an ergonomic design using premium materials that convey quality and value, including a cast skin material on the instrument panel. The integrated, flowing instrument panel features a Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit design, with prominent gauges backlit in blue, and metallic or wood grain accents.

The new Malibu has greater storage, too, with thoughtful features that maximize utility, including a deep center console with a sliding cover that opens to accommodate larger items. Also standard is an auxiliary in-dash storage compartment on the instrument panel for sunglasses, CDs and other items. An available rear power center provides a household-style 110-volt AC power outlet.

Safe and secure

The 2008 Malibu has a comprehensive roster of standard and available features that helps protect occupants before, during and after a crash. They include:
  • Dual-stage frontal air bags with GM Passenger Sensing System
  • Head curtain side-impact air bags (front and rear outboard seats)
  • Front seat-mounted thorax protection air bags
  • Front safety belt pretensioners
  • LATCH child safety seat anchors
  • Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS
  • Traction control
  • StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with panic brake assistance (LT and LTZ models)
  • Tire pressure monitoring system
  • All 2008 Malibu models come with OnStar Gen 7, which features standard automatic crash notification service and OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation – the first factory-installed, fully integrated GPS navigation system from OnStar.

For release: Jan. 2, 2007, 12:01 a.m. EST

2008 CHEVROLET MALIBU – FEATURE DETAILS

DETROIT – The redesigned Chevrolet Malibu is based on GM’s global midsize platform, which serves as the foundation for a strong body structure, precise build quality and refined driving dynamics. It is more than three inches (76 mm) longer than the current model, with a six-inch-longer (162 mm) wheelbase. These proportions create a wheels-at-the-corners stance that enables a smoother, more direct driving experience.

Performance comes from a family of powerful dual-overhead cam four- and six-cylinder engines, including a 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine and a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard with the V-6 and is offered with the 2.4L four-cylinder – a segment first.

Here’s a look at Malibu's features in detail:

Driving experience

Malibu's long, 112.3-inch (2,852 mm) wheelbase and wheels-at-the corner stance enable sharp, responsive ride and handling characteristics that bring a trait that’s rare to the segment: driving satisfaction. The balanced, four-wheel independent suspension system features a MacPherson strut front suspension design and multilink rear suspension. The front suspension uses aluminum control arms, which reduce unsprung mass impacts over bumps for a smoother ride. A direct-acting stabilizer bar provides a more immediate feel to steering inputs.

The rear suspension also features a direct-acting stabilizer bar, as well as monotube or twin-tube shock absorbers, depending on the model. The front and rear suspension systems are tuned for each powertrain combination, delivering tailored driving characteristics for all models. Hydraulic ride bushings and body control damping measures enhance the connected-to-the-road driving feel while supporting a comfortable ride.

GM’s StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on LT and LTZ models. It uses sophisticated vehicle sensors tied to the anti-lock braking system to help the driver maintain control during certain maneuvers. The new panic brake assistance feature provides full braking power when a panic-braking event is detected. This can reduce the braking distance, providing more control in helping to avoid a crash.

Steering response is precise and immediate, thanks to tuned steering systems designed for each model. Malibu models equipped with the 2.4L engine use a variable electric power-assist steering system, while V-6 models employ a hydraulic-assisted steering system.

A family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels is offered with Malibu , all tailored with a tight wheel-to-body relationship. LS models come with 16-inch painted trim wheels; LT models come with 17-inch chrome trim wheels and LTZ models are fitted with 18-inch aluminum ultra-bright-finish wheels.

The suspension systems are mounted to a robust chassis and integrated body structure that features a safety cage design and strategic placement of high-strength steel for outstanding structural integrity. The strong chassis and body structure enable more precise mounting of the suspension systems, a design trait that enabled engineers to focus on finer degrees of suspension tuning. A safety cage construction built into the Malibu's body structure is complemented with reinforced rocker sections, as well as a reinforced front body hinge pillar and roof pillars that were designed to improve impact protection. A magnesium cross-car beam unites the lower sections of the A-pillars. This not only helps protect passengers in side-impact crashes, but also serves as a solid foundation for the instrument panel. High-strength steel is used in strategic areas to augment overall structural integrity.

Powertrain

The 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine is rated at 164 horsepower (122 kW)* and delivers an estimated 31 mpg in highway driving, which is projected to be as good as or better than the segment’s current sales leader. It also is good enough to join the exclusive ranks of vehicles rated at 30 mpg or more – a club that will be tougher to join in 2008 because of revised EPA mileage test standards. GM has more “members” in the 30-mpg club than any other manufacturer.

The 2.4L Ecotec DOHC will be offered with all trim levels. LS and LT models are backed by a Hydra-Matic four-speed automatic transmission. Malibu LTZ models with the 2.4L engine are equipped with a new Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic – the only four-cylinder/six-speed automatic combination in the segment.

The available 3.6L V-6 VVT is a sophisticated, all-aluminum DOHC engine that uses variable valve technology to produce 252 horsepower (188 kW)** while delivering an estimated 26 mpg in highway driving. It is mated with a Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission.

The Malibu’s six-speed transmissions enable a strong balance between performance and fuel efficiency, with the six forward gears offering optimized performance at all rpm levels, as well as reduced rpm at highway cruising speeds. Lower rpm can enhance fuel economy and reduce cabin noise. The six-speed transmissions also feature Driver Shift Control (DSC), which enables the driver to shift manually with steering wheel-mounted controls.

All Malibu powertrain combinations are supported with GM’s five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

Quiet, thoughtful environment

Posted Image

Malibu's strong structure serves as the foundation for an exceptionally quiet environment. Along with the robust chassis, which minimizes vibration and noise, the body structure uses noise-reducing materials, such as liquid spray-on sound deadener, laminated steel and composite wheel liners, to deliver one the segment’s quietest, most refined driving experiences. Laminated “quiet glass” also contributes to a quiet environment.

The interior’s attention to detail complements the quieting features, with an ergonomic design using materials that convey quality and value, including a cast skin material on the instrument panel. For the first time, the Malibu is offered with two-tone trim combinations, including Ebony and Brick, Cocoa and Cashmere and Titanium and Cashmere . There is also an all-Ebony combination, accented with a distinctive wood grain element that offers a unique, upscale appearance. LTZ models receive distinctive, black-chrome accents, a specific instrument layout and unique, two-tone leather seating surfaces.

Ambient lighting in areas such as the overhead console and door-pull pockets enhances the Malibu's inviting feel. The overhead console-mounted LED floodlights provide subdued lighting to the center console area between the front seats. A feeling of openness is enhanced with Malibu's available, panoramic sunroof, featuring four sliding panels that provide an opening that extends between the front and rear seats. The retractable glass panels tilt upward, so there is no loss of headroom inside the car.

OnStar

All 2008 Malibu models come with OnStar Gen 7, which features standard automatic crash notification service and OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation. It is the first factory-installed, fully integrated GPS navigation system from OnStar. Turn-by-Turn allows consumers to talk to a live adviser, who in turn sends complete step-by-step directions to customers' vehicles through their OnStar system. These audio directions automatically play through the vehicle’s stereo as needed, triggered by the OnStar system’s GPS capabilities. This enables drivers to be guided to their destination while keeping their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road.

Posted Image

The color of the Malibu on the front page does a disservice to the car - it's a bad photoshop color change and you should change it ASAP. (Check gray area on the rocker below the front door and and the stray pixels below the front fascia). Why not leave it gray like the GM photo?

Edited by bdubsee

The color of the Malibu on the front page does a disservice to the car - it's a bad photoshop color change and you should change it ASAP. (Check gray area on the rocker below the front door and and the stray pixels below the front fascia). Why not leave it gray like the GM photo?

Just trying to mix things up a bit and not rehash the same images over and over if it can be helped. Let it not be said we don't listen... :AH-HA_wink:

Just trying to mix things up a bit and not rehash the same images over and over if it can be helped. Let it not be said we don't listen... :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks Fly- you rock! I only mentioned it because color is one of the first things people perceive and many cannot put it aside to make an evaluation. This car has enough negative perception to overcome.

What's with the mileage? It's not that good. The 4 banger should make more than 31 mpg. That's what an Impala with the base V6 gets. And the 6 banger is in the mid-20s. I'm not getting that part.

Regarding EPA mileage, the new 'Bu and EPA ratings here are for a 2008 Model Year; all 2008's are under a completely different rating methodology than the prior-year models. See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml for more info. One can expect that with judicious driving habits, most vehicles should easily meet and often exceed the new ratings.

Edited by PositiveAboutGM

Right - especially since the old numbers were more than attainable in the real world, at least on my car. It's more semantics than anything else, but I can see this introducing a perception problem that won't go away until everyone rates their engines by the new standards.

Right - especially since the old numbers were more than attainable in the real world, at least on my car.

Agreed. For example, while my '05 Maxx gets maligned on-line, it does have many redeeming virtues, including interior space and fuel economy. Dictated by my driving habits, I usually exceed the Maxx's 30 MPG highway rating, usually averaging around 33 MPG. Heck, on my last tank where I barely drove on the Interstate, I managed 28.1 MPG with the understanding that my Maxx doesn't get driven like an Indy car. (I have other vehicles for that. :P )

Regarding EPA mileage, the new 'Bu and EPA ratings here are for a 2008 Model Year; all 2008's are under a completely different rating methodology than the prior-year models. See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml for more info. One can expect that with judicious driving habits, most vehicles should easily meet and often exceed the new ratings.

Yeah, the exact same engine/tranny combos get better mileage in the Aura, but clearly these are being measured for the new 2008 standards.

What's with the mileage? It's not that good. The 4 banger should make more than 31 mpg. That's what an Impala with the base V6 gets. And the 6 banger is in the mid-20s. I'm not getting that part.

new EPA ratings. It's competition will likely fall from grace also.

there is no reason this vehicle won't be a runaway success, and sell like crazy.

for once, thank-god, it won't be on the market for another 7 to 11 months. GM will need the time to market and build up public awareness.

Advertising and product awareness are key here.

Based on the preliminary figures, it actually has significantly less room than the current Malibu sedan, and still isn't wide enough for the segment. Epsilon II cannot come soon enough

what? read the figures. a loss of an inch in rear-seat legroom is hardly "significantly less room"...

Don't forget that an inch can make a huge difference in comfort levels.

Agreed. The extra interior space of the Maxx is one of its most appealing aspects.

Does anyone have any solid sales figures: 2004 to 2007-to-date Malibu sedan versus Maxx? Perhaps these would give an indication as to why GM decided to not pursue the Maxx in the 2008 incarnation. Are there any other thoughts regarding this?

ok.... so... why buy a Buick now?

THAT'S RIDICULOUS YOU WROTE THAT. Those were my EXACT thoughts when I was reading this...

They give this car looks, power, (uh, both DOHC engines, 6-speed autos, and more available power than the LaCrosse), awesome interior, quiet the ride... why go for a LaCrosse? I mean, the Aura and new Malibu put it to real shame. I'd say the G6 does as well, but c'mon, the styling isn't edgy and the interior blows.

Seriously... right now this car has been placed in my top 3 I'll consider when I purchase a new car. I think a Laser Blue V6 LTZ would be nice.

I hate to bring this up...but why is there a problem with interior room. 11 years ago the orginal cloud cars came out. Do you know how roomy the interior is? With the seats all the way back you still have a load of room. It seems rediculous that companies still can't get it right when there are old cars that pulled it off. Malibu is pretty large yet it loses interior room from the previous model...I just don't get it.

Edit 12 years ago

Edited by Ravenfreak13

I hate to bring this up...but why is there a problem with interior room. 11 years ago the orginal cloud cars came out. Do you know how roomy the interior is? With the seats all the way back you still have a load of room. It seems rediculous that companies still can't get it right when there are old cars that pulled it off. Malibu is pretty large yet it loses interior room from the previous model...I just don't get it.

Edit 12 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. Longer, wider, longer wheelbase, yet less room in almost every parameter. WTF? Is the quietglass that thick?

I was thinking the same thing. Longer, wider, longer wheelbase, yet less room in almost every parameter. WTF? Is the quietglass that thick?

and for gods sake the cloud cars were put in the compact class due to exterior dimensions...surely something with midsized exterior dimensions can have a lot of interior space.

Nice to see they got rid of Touch Activated Power ™ shift (TAPshift). Driver Shift Control is much better.

I like DSC as an acronym. What i want to know, did they get rid of the thumb toggle switch on the shifter? That actually works well.

I was wondering about the low mpg, but i bet when they retest the rice burner competition for 08, the Mali will be within 1-2 mpg across the board. And we all know GM's typically exceed EPA estimates, at least for the cars.

As far as whing about whether this will intrude on Buick, that is exactly the sort of compete within GM mentality that has kept it from succeeding in the past. i think there still exists enough room to offer a distinct and feature laden Buick to sell apart from this.

My big concern, how frickin long till this actually hits market. it could get lost in progress of others over time. But GM clearly has all bases covered. I would think they should offer bluetooth though and enhance the nav system to operate either via on star or via a storage system.

I like that they kept the EPS at least for the 4 cylinder....assuming they tune it correctly. They covered their asses by keeping the hydraulic on the 6.

Panorama sunroof, sweet.

I would like to see them add a fold flat front seat like my 500's. Handy for cargo occassionally.

252 hp plenty I think, but to maintain interest over time I hope they put a 280hp version in the mix. A true manual or DSG type over time may help make a performance model.

Really, this is what we all asked for, GM making the effort on things like 6 speed trannys, IRS multilink, DOHC motors, manumatics, incabin technology, airbags, stabilitrak, I mean c'mon, there is NOTHING to really bitch about this car. I am smiling. And it takes a lot to do that. Of course, i haven't seen the plastic yet or heard the cheap crappy OEM speakers.

there is no reason this vehicle won't be a runaway success, and sell like crazy.

for once, thank-god, it won't be on the market for another 7 to 11 months. GM will need the time to market and build up public awareness.

Advertising and product awareness are key here.

oh i dunno, consumer reports, anti American sentiment of many people in our country, greedy dealers trying to gouge, there's still lots of issues that need to be overcome

I really like this new Malibu but I think it is still missing some technology that is becoming quite common in its competitors such as non On-Star Nav, Bluetooth and motion headlights.

If GM wants import buyers to look at the Malibu then they should at least provide the same amount of options and technology that the Camry/Accord provide. But, GM has fallen short of this matter so again GM will play second fiddle to the imports!!!!!

Did anyone else notice in the article that you could get an LTZ with a 4-cyl? Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to older Bu's, but is this typical?

Also I did not see it mentioned, but does anyone know if this offers a full folding rear seat for additional storage space from the trunk, or is it just a pass-thru design?

I've been leaning towards a Lucerne, but this really has me heading to a Chevy dealership in the future. I'll save money and have nicer features and better mileage. The only deal breaker would be the drive and how soon I can purchase. 7-11 months is far too long for our timetable.

Edited by CreativeVision

The more I see and read the more I like it, this is a no ifs, whats, buts about it, is a stand up triple if not a home run. Who knows once I see it, I may be stating it is a grand slam! I was always a Pontiac guy but with the interior of the G6 and the small trunk it did not work for my family this Malibu however, looks like it might rule! The LED taillamps in the LTZ are very cool but I never liked the real shiny alloy wheels so that might be a deal breaker for me. BTW-I saw a GMC Acadia this week and I like it better than any SUV I have ever looked at, ever! GM is back! I do not want to drive a big truck so not on my list but my wife who never gets into or talks about vehicles like me also thought it was the best SUV she ever looked or sat in.

Who would have ever thought that a Chevy gets a car with only DOHC 4 valve per cylinder enignes?

Nitpicking, an LTZ should only be 3.6L and the 2.4L should ge the 6 speed auto on LS/LT but thats abuot the only complaint I can come up with.

Having driven an Aura XR---I can say taht the 3.6L/ 6 speed is a sweet combination. Time for GM to start dumping the OHV V6 engines for everyting else.

Edited by avro206

... What i want to know, did they get rid of the thumb toggle switch on the shifter? That actually works well. ...

I used the thumb toggle switch when I test drove an Outlook, and felt like you have to keep your hand and thumb on the shifter or else you'de "lose your place." I would actually prefer the switches on the steering wheel or just being able to push the shifter up and down, because then you can either have both hands on the wheel or spend a second or two reaching down to push a lever.

I like it a lot, and just like everyone else said, just because it lost and inch here and an inch there in interior room, doesn't always mean it will "feel" less roomy. Not too sure about the 4-cyl in the LTZ package, but stranger things have happened. I'm really digging this car, can't wait till i see one on the road.