RACING: Pontiac GXP.R

GM @ NAIAS

Pontiac GXP.R Racer Press Release

DETROIT – Pontiac unveiled the GXP.R racecar, which will compete in the GT class of the 2007 Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Special Reserve. The GXP.R hits the track running later this month at the famed Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona race in Florida.

With the bodywork inspired by the Pontiac G6 GXP Street edition coupe, the GXP.R is the next step in the evolution of a successful racing program that began with the purpose-built GTO.R. The GTO.R was retired after winning the 2006 GT championship; the new GXP.R is built on the same winning foundation as the GTO.R.

“The GXP.R begins the next chapter in a very successful racing campaign that has put Pontiac over Porsche and BMW in the highly competitive GT class,” said John Larson, Pontiac general manager. “The GXP.R promises to pick up the GTO.R’s momentum and carry it into another winning season.”

Built to the specifications of the Grand American GT class, the GXP.R features a rear-drive layout and a racing version of the LS2 V-8 engine that produces approximately 450 horsepower (335 kW). It is based on the same Gen IV V-8 engine design as found in the production Grand Prix GXP. The production G6 GXP is powered by a sophisticated, DOHC 3.6L V-6 with variable valve timing that produces approximately 252 horsepower (188 kW).

The GXP.R’s bodywork retains the silhouette of a production G6 GXP, but lightweight, carbon-fiber replica panels are used throughout to reduce overall mass. The stock window glass also is replaced with lighter, shatter-resistant polycarbonate pieces. The body panels are attached to a custom tube-frame chassis, with the front and rear fenders flared to cover the wide, 18-inch wheels and class-spec Hoosier racing tires. Also, a huge rear wing that provides stabilizing downforce is tied into the chassis. It’s not a production-model wing, but the G6 GXP street car has its own distinctive rear spoiler.

Production-based racing

The Grand American GT class is comprised of production-based coupes and sedans that are modified for racing. Many of the engine components must be the same as those found on production models. The tube-frame chassis and ground-hugging bodywork are used to ensure high-speed traction and stability, while a purposeful interior deletes amenities such as air conditioning and an MP3-capable radio for a crisscross of safety roll cage tubing, a single racing seat, racing instruments and other race-only accoutrements.

Grand American Racing’s racing series, which also includes the Daytona Prototype class, was founded in 1999 with the goal of reinvigorating American road racing. Pontiac models were campaigned in the GT class from its inception, and the GTO.R program was launched in 2005. In their first full season of competition, two GTO.R teams dominated the 2006 season. With eight wins, including a podium sweep at Phoenix , Pontiac clinched its first GT Manufacturers championship, and the No. 65 TRG/F1 Air GTO.R of Andy Lally and Marc Bunting took the GT Drivers and Team championship. The No. 64 TRG GTO.R of Paul Edward and Kelly Collins finished third in points. The remainder of the class’s top 10 finishers included five Porsche GT3 Cups, a BMW M3 and a Chevy Corvette. During the 2005 and 2006 seasons, the GTO.R amassed an impressive 19 consecutive podium finishes – a class record.

Specifications

Posted Image

Image Gallery

Posted Image

Posted Image

Instead of saying it's similar to the Grand Prix GXP's engine, why didn't they say it's an upgraded version of the Corvette's engine? Wouldn't that sound better and be more intriguing for the average viewer?

Because they want to promote/sell Grand Prix GXP's, not 'vettes...

The Grand American GT class is comprised of production-based coupes and sedans that are modified for racing. Many of the engine components must be the same as those found on production models.

The G6 GXP comes with an LS2? I think not.

On top of that, it has 5 speed sequential manual and is RWD, as opposed to 5 speed auto FWD. Now I understand some changes should/have to be made for racing/safety purposes, but when you change the drive wheels, and to a lesser degree, all the body panels and the transmission, you're getting close to NASCAR's definition of stock.

I understand why they did it, because GM doesn't have a true RWD homologated car, but geez, why not just keep the GTO.R around until Zeta racer was ready.

sounds cool

I understand why they did it, because GM doesn't have a true RWD homologated car, but geez, why not just keep the GTO.R around until Zeta racer was ready.

the gxp.R has the ls2 not the production version

rules prolly make them use a "production car" and the gto isn't produced anymore.

sounds cool

the gxp.R has the ls2 not the production version

I know, that was the point I was trying to make. ls2, manual tranny, rwd....this thing has little to do with the production version

rules prolly make them use a "production car" and the gto isn't produced anymore.

see above

Anyone think the grille looks photoshopped on? I see a line that goes right through the middle of the grille. And the real GXP.R doesn have that grille. Posted Image

GM @ NAIAS

Pontiac GXP.R Racer Press Release

The tube-frame chassis and ground-hugging bodywork are used to ensure high-speed traction and stability, while a purposeful interior deletes amenities such as air conditioning and an MP3-capable radio for a crisscross of safety roll cage tubing, a single racing seat, racing instruments and other race-only accoutrements.

As far as I know, the production version never had an MP3 capable radio, unless the MY2008 is getting one.

Edited by ToniCipriani

• 1 month later...

On top of that, it has 5 speed sequential manual and is RWD, as opposed to 5 speed auto FWD. Now I understand some changes should/have to be made for racing/safety purposes, but when you change the drive wheels, and to a lesser degree, all the body panels and the transmission, you're getting close to NASCAR's definition of stock.

They used to do such in Trans Am and IMSA GTO racing as well....

NASCARs are truly whole different vehicles. I see this as more like the former two, simply a mutation.