FIRST LOOK: Pontiac G8 GT Show Car

GM@Chicago
Pontiac G8 Press Release | Specs | Competitive Comparo

:forum:2008 Pontiac G8 Image Gallery
:forum:2008 Pontiac G8 Platform Press Release

ALL-NEW G8 ACCELERATES NEW ERA OF REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE PERFORMANCE AT PONTIAC

CHICAGO – Confirming its commitment to style and performance, Pontiac introduced a show car version of an all-new, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan at the Chicago Auto Show. The 2008 Pontiac G8 will be available in dealerships early next year.

“With the balance of rear-wheel drive and the availability of V-8 power, the G8 represents another step in Pontiac ’s commitment to its performance DNA,” said John Larson, Pontiac general manager. “Added to the Solstice and the recently announced additions of the G6 and Torrent to the GXP series, the G8 demonstrates that Pontiac has never been more serious about the business of performance – and we expect this vehicle to be very competitive in the segment, even against cars that cost far more.”

The G8 is the first North American application of GM’s new global rear-wheel-drive architecture developed by Holden, GM’s Australian subsidiary.

G8 GT Show Car Details

The G8 show car unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show is representative of the production GT model, including use of the 362-horsepower (270 kW) 6.0L V-8 engine and optional six-speed manual transmission. The show car also features some unique items not found on the production model, including:
  • Twenty-inch “shadow chrome” wheels and performance tires
  • Ride height lowered approximately half-inch
  • High-performance brake rotors with painted brake calipers
  • Custom interior trim color, including a leather-wrapped dash
  • Exclusive exterior paint color: Phantom Grey
  • Concept of “modernized” Pontiac badge, to gauge public opinion.

Production Model Details

The 2008 Pontiac G8 lineup will offer two models: G8 and G8 GT. Each will come with a host of standard performance, convenience and safety features, including:
  • Four-wheel independent suspension
  • Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control
  • Electronic stability control
  • 18-inch aluminum wheels (19-inch wheels available with sport package)
  • Seat-mounted thorax air bags and dual-stage frontal air bags for front passengers, with automatic passenger sensing system
  • Roof rail side-impact air bags for both seating rows
  • OnStar
  • XM Satellite Radio
  • Power-adjustable front seats
  • Fog lamps
  • Chrome exhaust tips
  • Rear lip spoiler
A sport package will be available for both models and adds features such as specific wheels – including 19-inch aluminum wheels and performance tires on GT – a rear wing spoiler, leather shift knob, leather-wrapped steering wheel and alloy pedals.

Design

The G8 has a progressive styling package highlighted by strong Pontiac design cues, such as a dual-port grille, fog lamps, bold wheels and a confident, wheels-at-the-corners stance. The design accents the car’s performance lineage, with fenders that flare over the wheels, seemingly hugging the wide tires and enhancing the sporting stance.

Distinctive elements include hood scoops and front fender vents, as well as projector-beam headlamps housed in crystal-clear lenses. At the rear, jewel-like taillamps also are mounted in housings and feature bright detail work surrounding the red lighting elements. G8 models have red taillamp lenses and twin chrome exhaust outlets, while G8 GT models feature clear taillamp lenses and quad chrome exhaust tips. All models have an antenna mounted at the rear of the roof.

Powertrain

The base G8 model receives a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 261 horsepower (194 kW). It is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.

A limited-slip rear differential is standard with GT models.

Suspension System

A 114.8-inch (2915 mm) wheelbase, wide front ( 62.7 inches / 1592 mm) and rear ( 63.3 inches / 1608 mm) tracks, and a fully adjustable, four-wheel independent suspension system combine to give the G8 a confident, sharp driving experience.

The four-wheel independent suspension system employs a MacPherson strut design in the front and a four-link coil-over-shock design in the rear. Tuning is specific between the base and GT models, but both models use a direct-acting front stabilizer bar, decoupled rear stabilizer bar and lateral ball joints on the rear suspension. This system delivers increased lateral stiffness for enhanced handling.

The front suspension features fully adjustable caster, camber and toe; the rear suspension has fully adjustable camber and toe, which enables more precise, tailored suspension tuning.

Brake System

A four-wheel disc brake system includes standard anti-lock and traction control features and is partnered with a standard electronic stability control system. Both the base and GT models feature vented front and rear disc rotors, with twin-piston alloy calipers in front; the rear brakes feature alloy calipers with single-piston actuation. The brakes are approximately one-inch larger on the higher-performance GT model.

Interior

Designed to meld form and function with world-class fit and finish, the G8’s interior delivers both comfort and convenience, packaged in a level of sophistication not often found in its price range. A driver-oriented instrument cluster positions the gauges for easy, direct line of sight; an electronic driver information center is located between the large, round tachometer and speedometer.

Attention to detail includes jewel-like instruments, selective use of satin and chrome trim and rich-feeling, grained textures throughout. The instrument cluster glows with crisp, white light on the primary instruments and Pontiac ’s signature red lighting illuminates the rest of the instrument panel cluster.

The seats offer firm support to hold occupants in place during aggressive cornering; all seats were designed to deliver excellent comfort during long drives. Cloth seating surfaces are standard, with heated leather seating available. G8 GT models will also offer an optional two-tone cloth or leather combination that pairs black with either red or blue inserts and color-matched instrument faces on certain exterior color combinations.

Preliminary Specifications

Posted Image

Competitive Comparison

Posted Image

Wow----I am gonna have to get me one of these!

Powerplants are very good but I would expect that in 09 the 6 speed auto to be paired with the 3.6L and the 6.2L VVT to be in the mix.

A direct injected 3.6L would be nice too---and a manula with that.

Not that I am complaingin, this car rocks!!

I wish it had a full 400 HP. But with AFM I really cant complain, especially with the six speed. I wanna see fuel economy numbers though. As long as it gets at least 25 on the highway, I am happy. Plus 400HP is just a intake, headers and exhaust away.

Aussie fuel economy numbers say its about 14.4 L/100km (combined)

Edited by Dragon

The base G8 model receives a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 261 horsepower (194 kW). It is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.

So it seems the Commodore SV6 = G8 and the Commodore SS = G8 GT. The V6 makes the $25K price doable (although IIRC that would be well below what the SV6 sells for in Australia). I'm also thinking that US$25K-to-US$27K might overlap a little with the 'Bugs Bunny Edition' G6 GXP, no?

:) x 1,000,000

I bet some Honda & Toyota engines are that way! :lol::rolleyes:

At least in theory that's something the Japanese would do.

Tolque useress, holsepower super good!

Other observations from the competitive chart.

The G8's cargo space is only outdone by the Bonneville by .5 cubic feet. And the Lexus GS has a disgusting 12.7 cubic feet of cargo space... In other words, a smaller trunk than my Cobalt. And that's not another typo.

Powertrain wise, the G8's engine has the largest displacement and beats all the other cars on the chart, although the Charger costs less. Then again, the Charger is the only non-luxury car on the chart aside from the Pontiacs.

The G8 is outweighed only by the Charger. The rest of the cars are mostly within 200-300 lbs. In other words, one or two people's worth in weight.

The G8 is the widest car of the bunch, but not the tallest or the longest. It's also not the shortest in either measurement. You could get away with giving this car the Wide Track designation.

The Charger has the longest wheelbase by over 5 inches. The G8 is the distant 2nd here, but all the cars except for the Charger are in the 112-115 inch range.

While this is not the most scientific of data, it should be noted that the G8 has the most overall room of all cars mentioned on the chart at 391.2 combined inches. As for the other numbers in this comparison? The Bonneville has a combined 386.1", the Charger has 385.5", the BMW was excluded because hip room wasn't measured (but it otherwise barely beats out the GS), the M has 383.0", and the GS has 371.9". In fact, it's as if the chart was arranged from most to least room, with the exception of the BMW.

The Maxima is mysteriously absent from this chart, despite it being mentioned as a key competitor in the first chart. The current Grand Prix is also absent, which would have been a handy reference since the G8 is replacing it.

I bet some Honda & Toyota engines are that way! :lol::rolleyes:

At least in theory that's something the Japanese would do.

Tolque useress, holsepower super good!

Japanese engineers are more interested in creating high horsepower numbers by revving the crap out of their engines.

my grandparents have been waiting on this so they can replace their 97 bonneville. they kept asking when the rwd cars were coming back and i guess they'll be happy to know they can trade the bonne in another year. kinda odd my 72 year old grandpa wants a v8 sedan but hey thats how i got my 69 impala... maybe i'll be the 2nd owner of a G8 later on too.

This car is excellent and IMO is more Pontiac than anything in the lineup save the Solstice...and I like this better. The new badge looks very nice. It has nice detailing and is far more interesting to look at than the tired, plain red one they currently use...I hope we see it in the future.

Edited by Dodgefan

Soem quick first impressions, if I may.

Just when I had told myself to, dammit LIKE this car because it's important to Pontiac, I see that RR 3/4 shot on the home page- there is a LOT of BMW in that greenhouse, as well as those fender vents, I gotta say. Some may say that's good, but I don't think so- it's unoriginal, and Pontiac should be doing things their own way.

Couple other things: white lighting on the IP and red everywhere else? What gives, was it cheaper/easier this way? Why not all-red, esp. since its Pontiac's signature lighting style? Ugh.

The Pep Boys taillights- it would be nice if the aftermarkets came up with some decent solid tinted ones, ala the factory "neutral density" tails of yore, but it'll never happen.

Not sure if this is a complaint, but the rear end looks a lot like the current GP, which is nice for continuity, but bad bec. that same set of rear end features appears on so many other cars.

Fuel fill's on the wrong side again (*cough*GTO*cough*G6).

Lastly, not about the car itself: the blurb on the front page, this line really really bugged me: "Get ready for a new era of Pontiac performance, where affordable driving excitement returns to the road." So does that mean that all those times before that they told us that's what we were driving were, what, LIES?! Bad bit of promo writing there.

I will say this, tho, I do like the interior alot, very nicely done.

I don't think I'll make it to the Chicago show to see it in person, but I'm worried that it will have to grow on me the way the new GTO did, instead of grabbing me by the collar and whispering seductively in my ear, "Come up and see me sometime..."

So it seems the Commodore SV6 = G8 and the Commodore SS = G8 GT. The V6 makes the $25K price doable (although IIRC that would be well below what the SV6 sells for in Australia). I'm also thinking that US$25K-to-US$27K might overlap a little with the 'Bugs Bunny Edition' G6 GXP, no?

I think you'll find the G8 starts a couple of thou above the current G6 GTP. Depending on pricing for the GXP you may be able to get a G8 around the same price. If it comes a little under a Maxima (nearly $29K incling D&H) pricing will be competitive. Around $27K sounds about right.

I have no doubt an enterprising tuner will soon drop in either an LS2 (a la HSV) or an or a 6.2 L L92 from the Escalade, if GM doesn't do something like that themselves.

I think you'll find the G8 starts a couple of thou above the current G6 GTP. Depending on pricing for the GXP you may be able to get a G8 around the same price. If it comes a little under a Maxima (nearly $29K incling D&H) pricing will be competitive. Around $27K sounds about right.

I have no doubt an enterprising tuner will soon drop in either an LS2 (a la HSV) or an or a 6.2 L L92 from the Escalade, if GM doesn't do something like that themselves.

I'd wager that GM will slap an LS2 in one and call it a GXP right around the time they start building them in Canada, eh.

Other observations from the competitive chart.

The G8's cargo space is only outdone by the Bonneville by .5 cubic feet. And the Lexus GS has a disgusting 12.7 cubic feet of cargo space... In other words, a smaller trunk than my Cobalt. And that's not another typo.

Powertrain wise, the G8's engine has the largest displacement and beats all the other cars on the chart, although the Charger costs less. Then again, the Charger is the only non-luxury car on the chart aside from the Pontiacs.

The G8 is outweighed only by the Charger. The rest of the cars are mostly within 200-300 lbs. In other words, one or two people's worth in weight.

The G8 is the widest car of the bunch, but not the tallest or the longest. It's also not the shortest in either measurement. You could get away with giving this car the Wide Track designation.

The Charger has the longest wheelbase by over 5 inches. The G8 is the distant 2nd here, but all the cars except for the Charger are in the 112-115 inch range.

While this is not the most scientific of data, it should be noted that the G8 has the most overall room of all cars mentioned on the chart at 391.2 combined inches. As for the other numbers in this comparison? The Bonneville has a combined 386.1", the Charger has 385.5", the BMW was excluded because hip room wasn't measured (but it otherwise barely beats out the GS), the M has 383.0", and the GS has 371.9". In fact, it's as if the chart was arranged from most to least room, with the exception of the BMW.

The Maxima is mysteriously absent from this chart, despite it being mentioned as a key competitor in the first chart. The current Grand Prix is also absent, which would have been a handy reference since the G8 is replacing it.

The Maxima does not offer a V8. The G430 is much, much smaller (an LS460 is a better comparison). Cargo volume is incorrect, that's VDA cargo room, always a bit higher than SAE numbers, although not everyone bothers to do both measurements. The difference is even harder to guess than JIS to SAE horsepower (for which you can write a conversion formula), but you can figure on an actual SAE volume of between 14 and 16 cu-ft.

I love it.

I like how its about as roomy as the LX sedans yet with a smaller wheelbase.

This car is big enough to be the next Impala.

My Idea for the SWB Zetas.

Chevrolet Impala

Pontiac G8

Buick Invicta?

& the LWB Zetas

Buick Electra

Cadillac DTS?

Edited by carman21

I have no doubts about that. You know what would be neat?

G8 GXP = HSV Clubsport R8 or G8 GXP = HSV GTS. Funky tail lights and all.