Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thread Part II

Cory Wolfe

a BV u make me want to buy one but i dont like the body style i think it might be a little to short i sat in my freinds and i was a little uncomfortable but the average person is not fat and tall like me:P

I think I should put the Fiero crash test pic next to the Blazer one in the other thread and ask my parents which one they said was the death trap... Sound like a good idea? Think that would change their perception of the Fiero? Anyways, it is sad it only lasted one generation. It had so much potential. It wasn't profitable? That's BS. It turned a profit every year. Chevy just couldn't handle a car from the performance division beating its legendary Vette and costing much less. Pontiac had many prototype Fieros blowing the doors off of the Vette at the Milford proving grounds. V8 and turbo 3.4L powered ones with aluminum chassis. Chevy wasn't too happy about that. To add to that, some GM execs never liked it in the first place and tried to kill it many times. So Pontiac never really got the engines they wanted for it and many parts were shared (not necessarily a bad thing). GM underfunded it and by 88 it had a limite advertising budget and was stuck in plant that GM management and UAW contractual agreements mandated that there be a specific number of workers based on some factors that really didn't apply to the Fiero plant's way of operating. It was running under capacity and was overstaffed since GM cancelled the GM80 FWD spaceframe platform that the Camaro and Firebird were to move to. To top all of that off, GM wanted to use the equipment from the Fiero line to make Saturns. So... GM killed the Fiero. Now the Corvette rides on a chassis similar in design to the Fiero's. Now I hope you guys see why I have ill feelings towards GM, Chevy, Saturn, and the UAW. :D

Always wanted a Fiero, I'm sure I'll have one someday. Almost convinced my dad to buy one on two separate occasions. I also was to own a Corvair someday. REAL BAD.

Satty: Dude the engine fire jooke is getting REALLY old. Should I say the same thing every time we mention a Taurus SHO or a Honda CRV. Edited by Sixty8panther

Most of the Prototypes are very unappealing to me. I'd take a '84 SE over that gray whale myself.

Actually... it is a 1990 prototype. http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="21487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why would GM call a concept a 1990 when it was shown in 1987 or 88? Especially when the 1988 model was the last year?

It was covered on Fiero.nl about 1.5 years ago. If you go search you can find it.

That site is in my signature... :D IDK why either but it is a 1990 prototype. The logical reason I can come up with is that if it wasn't cancelled... Like the C4 Vette, it would skip 89 and be a 90. Either that or the 1st gen would last for 89. The prototypes were done before it was cancelled.

That site is in my signature... :D

IDK why either but it is a 1990 prototype. The logical reason I can come up with is that if it wasn't cancelled... Like the C4 Vette, it would skip 89 and be a 90. Either that or the 1st gen would last for 89. The prototypes were done before it was cancelled.

[post="22031"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Those prototypes were actually based on a 1985 model Fiero give people an idea of how far GM thinks ahead in terms of design.

Which one is the whale ? This one ? I actually like the look with the long WB.
Posted Image

Anyhow I will always prefer the origional body shape it had more character. The formulas front look like some peice of wood I might have rounded off on the belt sander and frankly the entire GT looks that way. Its just all round and smooth without any form of character lines. It looks good but nothing outstanding, to me. I always felt the same way about Firebirds and the last two generations especially thats why that later prototype didnt thrill me that much either

I was still sad to see the Fiero and all its innovations flushed down the toilet just like GM always does.

I do hope to own an early body someday and place better front suspension and a turbocharged Buick LG3 but standard transmissions are a problem in this area. Wont happen though, I have recently aquired a Lancia Scorpion, another midengined car that needed a few more character lines.

Vipes, could you put up a frontal shot of the origional so I could compare to formula, thanks.

Heres a decent photo of the 76 Lancia Scorpion, 1801 produced 76-77, a racing FIat X1/9 and a 83 X1/9 built from 73-88. These were in the Fieros earlier market place though the X1/9 must have competed against it for sales in later years. Fiero benefited greatly with the use of urethane bumper covers compared to these oldies with the protruding bumpers.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

How about this Razor?

Posted Image

One of the coolest things about the Fiero is the short wheelbase and minimal overhangs. The car fits likea glove. Wiht the large, gray prototype it seems to be WAY too long and it comes off awkward and seems like it would impeed maneuverability. This was one of the dislikes a lot of people pointed out with the 4th gen. F-bodys BTW.

Anyway here's a few examples of a gorgeous Fieros wiht PERFECT proportions. AS you can tell I like them either dead stock or wiht subtle body/ground effects kits. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sixty8... I'd question the white one... That looks like Fiero Rice. I really only like wheel and suspension mods on the exterior. As well as tints for both taillights and the quarter windows. Some custom side intakes look good, though.

Anyways, I know what you mean about the prototype, but really... all it has is a longer rear overhang for increased trunk space. That and it kind of equals up the overhangs. On the production Fieros... the front overhang was always bigger than the rear... sometimes by a noticable amount depending on the angle. However, the body is much tighter looking.

I do think this has its own certain beauty to it...

Posted Image

It definately looks MUCH more sexy and sleek in Fire Engine Red versus the gray. And yes, it does look even more like a true EXOTIC. This last pic is VERY flattering. They could make that TODAY with the 2.8 Turbo or a LS6 and it would sell like hotcakes. :wub:

That gorgeous orange Fiero proves my point about spoilers... doesn't it look great with a nice, clean, low rear deck?

I am so thankful the "Buck Rogers" finned monstrosity is missing from the '06 G6 coupe. That car is absolutely light years ahead of its predecessor in looks and class... I want an Emerald Green/Ebony cloth 6 speed G6 GTP coupe with polished rims!

I am so thankful the "Buck Rogers" finned monstrosity is missing from the '06 G6 coupe. That car is absolutely light years ahead of its predecessor in looks and class...

Now, now, now... I wouldn't exactly say that. :P I'll take a GA coupe over it.

Anyways, I still prefer spoiler over no spoiler on just about every car including this Fiero. I haven't seen a G6 coupe with one, so its hard to tell. The rear end may be too weird for one, though. But the sedan definitely needs a better one... :D

As for Fly... I'll be careful. :lol: Edited by blackviper8891