FIRST LOOK: Buick LaCrosse Super

Flybrian

Wow, it looks much, much better. The interior is improved as well, though it's not great. Too bad the changes aren't going to make it competitive; it should have looked like this when it debuted, not a year before it's gone.

totally agree

Looks way better it resolved the issues I had with the Lacrosse on the outside. It sits lower and not as high, it covers the mufflers in the rear, and it hangs lower in the front. Not to mention the new grill looks way better. Now what the inside really need in better quality materials and a new center stack.

Hmm. Grille shape not bad, but actually doesn't jive as well with the rest of the body before, and it makes that atrocious and gawky front overhang seem even stranger. And onto the interior, aside from coloring, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT BIZARRE CENTER STACK STILL THERE FOR?! It never made sense in the first place, being unique of any other GM vehicle and bad at that. Then again, the silver is a pretty big improvement from the black, even if it remains weirdly different and lacking compared to every other GM car.

Oh well. Hopefully it'll be dead before long, and replaced with something with properly svelte body proportions (not just a few), and a much more cohesive interior.

Posted Image

Every time I see this view, it's like Pinocchio just lied...again...

Edited by caddycruiser

I think I would have preferred the black chrome that the upper-trim Lucernes had. It's a loud grille on a softly styled car, which really doesn't work. I do like it in the lighter colors, though.

Interior upgrades are minimal but they do help. I never had a problem with the car's interior to begin with.

Decent changes and a grille that works better than the new grille for the Lucerne Super....I always tought the LaX was the nicest of the current W-bodies as far as styling and yes even interior....while simple and plain, it is effective for this car and understated....which is suits me just fine...my only gripe with the Lacrosse is the rear's concaved section of the trunk lid and the headlights and marker lights for looking too 1996 for my liking.

I think he's just referring to the digital radio display of the time.

yeah, that..... it comes up in every stinkin Buick review.... as if *REALLY* mattered that much in a car. Toyota gets away with a 10 cent LCD clock in every car it builds though.....

yeah, that..... it comes up in every stinkin Buick review.... as if *REALLY* mattered that much in a car. Toyota gets away with a 10 cent LCD clock in every car it builds though.....

?? I don't see anything wrong with a digital display on the radio... works fine in my Jeep.

Well, I don't know how the more modern radio displays work, but I'd love to have a separate clock display, only because I know I'd like to see the CD time/track info, or radio station info, as well as have the time displayed. Again, I don't know how more modern radios work... The original radio in my car showed time or station... couldn't have both at the same time.

Well, I don't know how the more modern radio displays work, but I'd love to have a separate clock display, only because I know I'd like to see the CD time/track info, or radio station info, as well as have the time displayed. Again, I don't know how more modern radios work... The original radio in my car showed time or station... couldn't have both at the same time.

Still the same in most. Well, unless you get a Toyota or Honda, then you're set--they ALWAYS give the digital clock it's own little rectangle somewhere separate, and not related to the stereo. I think a few new Ford products are also like this.

That's the same steering wheel it currently has.

Hmm, true. Reg must be referring to the 2005/2006 model's wheel.

Well, I don't know how the more modern radio displays work, but I'd love to have a separate clock display, only because I know I'd like to see the CD time/track info, or radio station info, as well as have the time displayed. Again, I don't know how more modern radios work...

The Cobalt Radio displays the clock separate from the other information in the display. I think the Black Tie does, also.

Still the same in most. Well, unless you get a Toyota or Honda, then you're set--they ALWAYS give the digital clock it's own little rectangle somewhere separate, and not related to the stereo. I think a few new Ford products are also like this.

Not like Paulie is describing.

Most modern GM radios default to a time display, but switch to track/station frequency when any radio function is selected (volume, tuner, etc).

I hate the seperate displays Toyota and Hyundai have because its utilitzes the same piece of $h! barely-legible ten-cent black-on-pea-green Samsonite Kids Lil' Globe Trott'r digital travel clock they've been using since 1982. Besides, say what you want about GM radio head units, the clock backlighting matches the gauges; the last-generation LS430 didn't even do that.

Here's the new Optima...

Posted Image

Wow! I can almost see it!

Most modern GM radios default to a time display, but switch to track/station frequency when any radio function is selected (volume, tuner, etc).

Modern Chrysler radios do the same... it works for me. I'd rather have an LED display (is that what they are (i.e. blue or green or red numbers (color coordinated to the gauge lightning) against a black background) than an LCD display...I truly hate LCD displays (hard to read in most lighting)..same reason I wouldn't want an LCD watch. Edited by moltar

I hate the seperate displays Toyota and Hyundai have because its utilitzes the same piece of $h! barely-legible ten-cent black-on-pea-green Samsonite Kids Lil' Globe Trott'r digital travel clock they've been using since 1982. Besides, say what you want about GM radio head units, the clock backlighting matches the gauges; the last-generation LS430 didn't even do that.

Here's the new Optima...

Posted Image

Wow! I can almost see it!

That's not the new Optima...this is:

Posted Image

The clock font in the Intrepid is basically the same it was back in the 80's...down to the green...but it's easy to read and matches the gauges.

Anyway, back to the LaCrosse...unlike the Lucerne Super this is actually an improvement...but I miss the original wheel it had not this ugly steering wheel...and the interior still looks cheap.

Posted Image

SH1NY PL4ST1CS F0R 3V3RY0N3!!!1!

Edited by Dodgefan

Modern Chrysler radios do the same... it works for me. I'd rather have an LED display (is that what they are (i.e. blue or green or red numbers (color coordinated to the gauge lightning) against a black background) than an LCD display...I truly hate LCD displays (hard to read in most lighting)..same reason I wouldn't want an LCD watch.

My Millenia has a white "LED" display for the clock and climate control while the radio has an LCD display. It's not terribly hard to read, but I agree.

Anyway, back to the LaCrosse...unlike the Lucerne Super this is actually an improvement...but I miss the original wheel it had not this ugly steering wheel...and the interior still looks cheap.

Posted Image

SH1NY PL4ST1CS F0R 3V3RY0N3!!!1!

What's sad is that the LaCrosse's plastics are all mostly soft while the Lucerne has tons of hard plastic. :P

Personally, I never really liked the look of the LaCrosse--the nose was just too pointy for such a large car. Ugh. However, with this 'nose job', I think that it now looks quite nice! By far the nicest looking of GM's V-8 W-bodies. How much more than the Impala SS are they going to sell it for? As for the interior, if the seats are as comfortable as those in older Buicks, I'll be perfectly happy.

My Millenia has a white "LED" display for the clock and climate control while the radio has an LCD display. It's not terribly hard to read, but I agree.

What's sad is that the LaCrosse's plastics are all mostly soft while the Lucerne has tons of hard plastic. :P

I know...it's pretty sad.

LOVE the chocolate brown interior but the center stack looks cheap. The exterior looks more refined, much better than the current LaCrosse even though they both share the same styling. I think more was done to the LaCrosse than to the STS. Isn't it only going to be around for less than 2 years?