Posted Image

Posted Image

Groove:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Trax:
Posted Image

Posted Image

SIZE DOESN'T MATTER: THREE CHEVROLET GLOBAL MINICAR CONCEPTS PACK A LOT OF PERSONALITY AND STYLE PER MILE

NEW YORK – Three Chevrolet minicar global concepts designed to appeal to young car buyers in urban markets prove that art needn't take a back seat just because the canvas is small. Revealed today at the New York Auto Show, the highly creative Chevrolet Beat, Chevrolet Groove and Chevrolet Trax concepts drive the energy, diversity and excitement of urban life into cars that deliver good-looking fun, fuel economy and value.

Democracy lovers will even get the chance to pick their favorite by visiting www.vote4chevrolet.com and casting their vote for the Beat, Groove or Trax. The results will help Chevrolet determine U.S. market interest in the minicar segment, and which design/capability package resonates best with potential buyers.

All three concepts were designed at GM's Design Studio in Inchon, South Korea. One of GM's 11 Global Design Studios, the designers in the Korean center are experts in small car product development.

Built on GM's global mini architecture, these concepts demonstrate the flexibility, creativity and innovative focus of design in GM's Asia Pacific region. The Chevrolet Beat concept, a running prototype of a micro import tuner, was built in India ; while the Chevrolet Groove and Trax micro urban crossover concepts were built at the GM Tech Center in Warren , Mich.

"The Chevrolet Beat, Groove and Trax concepts highlight the strength and diversity of GM's Global Design capabilities, as well as the ability of our Global Product Development team to anticipate and quickly meet the evolving needs of our diverse markets around the world," said Ed Welburn, vice president, GM Global Design.

"The design team was so enthused about being given the assignment to develop the perfect small car for urban commuters that they created not one, but three interpretations of how this car may be developed for Chevrolet customers around the world."

Chevrolet is one of four GM global brands, meeting diverse customer needs in 120 countries with vehicles that range from subcompacts and family sedans to full-size pickups and SUVs and iconic sports cars such as the Corvette. The concepts revealed in New York , for example, offer three different fuel-efficient engines, including a diesel.

"The Chevrolet Beat, Groove and Trax concepts have the potential to expand the reach of Chevrolet – already a beloved brand around the world – even further, connecting with young buyers on multiple continents who desire fun-yet-efficient transportation," said Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper. "These are the same brand attributes that made Chevrolet a household name in the U.S. "

Here's a look at Chevrolet's three minicar concepts:

Chevrolet Beat: Designed to evoke the mood of a speedy micro import tuner, the Beat is a front-wheel-drive, three-door hatchback concept built to be personalized, and powered by a 1.2-liter turbocharged gasoline engine mated to an automatic transmission. It's loaded with technology, including a navigation system and premium stereo.

Chevrolet Groove: A "funkastalgia"-themed vehicle too tough-looking to be "cute," the Groove concept is a retro-inspired vehicle with bodacious fender flares and an upright windshield. It looks much longer than it is, thanks to its short hood and long cabin. The front-drive Groove is powered by a small, efficient 1-liter diesel engine.

Chevrolet Trax: An urban crossover concept that's equally at home on the trails or in traffic, it gets a low-cost all-wheel-drive system and looks the part of a rugged SUV many times its size, thanks to a voluminous one-piece bumper and fender system in the front and back, a rear-mounted spare tire and a roof rack. Trax is powered by a 1-liter gas engine.

GM's Global Product Development process

The Chevrolet Beat, Groove and Trax concepts were designed and built leveraging GM's Global Product Development process, created from best practices around the world that integrate design, engineering, powertrain and manufacturing organizations to ensure each vehicle program meets its quality, timing and business targets, yet is responsive to the needs in regional markets.

As part of its global product development process, GM is growing the skills and capabilities of its design and engineering centers in several emerging markets, using key tools and technologies, such as a global virtual design and engineering network, that allows engineers and designers to collaborate with each other around the world.

Chevrolet's global footprint

Chevrolet is one of the fastest-growing brands in the world, with a sales increase of 158 percent outside North America since 2001. Chevrolet sold 4.3 million vehicles worldwide in 2006, 2.8 million – or 65 percent – in the United States . From 2005 to 2006, Chevrolet's sales grew 19 percent in the Latin America, Africa and the Middle East region; 19 percent in the Asia/Pacific region; and 15 percent in Europe .

The Chevrolet Aveo sedan and five-door subcompact, engineered and built in South Korea , is a strong contender in the very competitive global small car market.

Whoah, these are all very progressive designs. The Beat looks like a smaller version of that WTCC Rally concept thing, while the Groove looks very Scion-ish. The Trix looks cool. Too bad these cars are all totally tiny.

Hmm, could the Beat be a styling practice for a NG Aveo? Looks like a mix between the Aveo and WTCC Rally Concept to me.

Also, the Groove looks like a mix between an xB and an HHR to me somehow. Overall, I'm a fan of the Beat and candid toward the Groove and Trax.

The Groove should be rounded off a bit to resemble the HHR. As-is it looks likes a xb with the new Malibu front slapped on. The Beat actually reminds me of a Fit. Coincidently Honda does use to have a small car called the Honda Beat. Among the three I like the Trax the most.

If they manage to keep these things under, say 1500lbs, they're going to be a blast to drive with a 90-100hp motor, and still get great mileage.

PS: Shouldn't this be in the Future Chevys section?

I like all three. The Beat looks like a Smart car, except cool looking. The Groove looks like a mini HHR with a twist. The Trax has some pretty unique styling cues, though I'm not a big fan of the different colored panels. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick the Beat, with the Trax in a close second. The Groove is cool, but just doesn't seem as unique.

These are clearly nothing but Scion rip-offs. Come on GM, copying Toyota didn't work for you before.

These are nothing to do with Scion. The Trax is a ruggedized Chevy Matiz, the Groove is an in-house Chevy MW (the current model is Suzuki-built), the Beat a micro Aveo. Scion doesn't make anything this small because that's not Toyota's competency. GM was selling vehicles like this for years before Toyota designed the first Scions. These are ideas for the next generation, and if they bring them to the US, there will be nothing else like them.

You guys need to be more open minded. These are far from Scion rip offs. And GM needs them, if you ask me.

The Beat looks like a miniature WTCC whatever mixed with the Mazda2. It's sort of cool. The Groove looks almost like a boxier Smart ForFour mixed with the HHR. It's funky, I think I like it best. The Trax sort of reminds me of the original Geo Tracker, yet more aggressive and cuter at the same time. It would look better monotone.

You guys need to be more open minded. These are far from Scion rip offs. And GM needs them, if you ask me.

The Beat looks like a miniature WTCC whatever mixed with the Mazda2. It's sort of cool. The Groove looks almost like a boxier Smart ForFour mixed with the HHR. It's funky, I think I like it best. The Trax sort of reminds me of the original Geo Tracker, yet more aggressive and cuter at the same time. It would look better monotone.

GM seems to like the Groove best too—there are more photos of it than the other concepts.

I'd like to know how these are Scion ripoffs. Was Scion the first to have sub-compact vehicles? No. Going by "these are a Scion ripoff" means every car is a ripoff of every other car that has the same general shape and number of doors, so please stop spewing BS.

Anyways, I like the Beat the best. The Groove IS too much like the new xB and is rather ugly. The Beat's headlights are way too big, but other than that I think it looks good for a sub-compact.

EDIT: I must be completely out of it when it comes to stylish subcompacts, because the Groove is waay ahead and I think it's pretty damn ugly.

Damn, what do I vote for I like all of them SO much! I know it doesn't sound like me but I think this would be RIGHT up my alley now if I were buying, it would be easier to save for the next Camaro if I am running around in a 1.0 diesel or a turbo 1.2L gas burner.

The Groove meshes so well with GMNAs current design trends but the Beat looks like a pissed off Aveo on steroids, but smaller. The Trax while cool as a super mini suv, with AWD no less :blink: , looks like the furthest away from production. But does show that GM has options on styling. Could this influence the next HHR, I think so.

I don't want to vote until I see the interiors on all three. That may sway one way or another.

BTW anyone want to give a guess as to the cost, yes I assume they would be built in Korea or Mexico and I am ok with that because I don't think GM could sell one for $12K.

Like I said in the pictures thread, all very cool, and they actually shocked me at first for how cool and young the styling came off. The same kind of aura as Scion, but somehow more expressive and even exciting.

At least one or two would fit terrificly with the cool value status of Chevy, and bring in even more first time and younger--not to mention even older like Scion has--buyers, and even turn them away from Scion.

I'm usually not a huge fan of minicars, so that's saying a lot from me.

Edited by caddycruiser

The Trax sort of reminds me of the original Geo Tracker, yet more aggressive and cuter at the same time.

That's exactly what I thought of it when I saw the Trax. Maybe that's why they chose the name? Trax ~ Tracker.

Out of all of them, the Beat seems to have the best cohesive design, followed very closely by the Trax. The only thing about the Beat is that it does resemble a Scion, but it looks good so I guess I can't argue with that. The Trax featuring AWD is great, and I like how its the off roader of the trio. I'm actually pretty torn between those two on which to vote for. About the Chevy Groove, I hope it doesn't come to fruition, I really hate those vertical tails. Reminds me of the CR-V.

However seeing the three all together on the main page, they're just so cute and I never use the word cute. I don't what GM did with those photos/cars but its working.

EDIT: Ended up voting for the Trax. Beat is cool, but its so similarly styled to a Scion that people might just buy the Scion and think the Beat as a ripoff. Might as well get something different onto the market. Or Just produce 'em both! :) ...and why is the Groove winning? The front end is pretty nice but that back just needs to be redone.

Edited by big blue

And I ask... how come a navigation screen is offered in these little things, yet you still can't get one in a LaCrosse, Impala, Malibu, Aura, G6...

(and yes, I know they're concepts).

Edited by Paolino

I am impressed by all 3, going by what's been offered in the sub-compact market by all manufacturers lately, these are VERY impressive. I see NO bit of scion in any of these.

Only thing that worries me is that these are obvisouly very prominant to concept only designs, and are Far from being released as consumer models (2012??). Unfortunatly by then the compitition, after seeing these, will have something just as good or better on the market. To bad these aren't production ready "to be released as consumer vehicles" by 2009.

For me, picking one of these is like choosing between three fatal diseases.

Even so, if GM needs them in the market I'll cope.

Beat: This one is really nasty and comes in third.

Groove: Seems to be the most fully realized design of the three and I could see it making sense for some buyers. I would place it first in line to be considered for production. It even comes close to looking like it really is a Chevy.

Trax: Wears its concept status a bit too prominently, but the AWD configuration gives it a leg up on the others in utility. I'd say this one shows the most promise if refined to production spec.

My personal take: YUCK!

The Groove has the best front, and the Trax has the best rear. Overall, the Trax has the best stance. I'm not feeling any particular affinity for the Beat--it just looks too much like a Scion. The Groove's 1-liter diesel is sweet, while the Trax's AWD is awesome. Personally, I'd put the Groove's headlights and diesel into the Trax and call it good. Question: does each of these minicars carry four people? Or does the Beat only carry two (since it has only two doors)?

Either way, all three are impressive.

GM needs these cars, but I don't like any of them...the styling is not up my alley at all. It's too bad small cars can't look tough and/or sexy without looking like Japanese anime characters. But whatever, as long as GM sell them, that's all that matters.

The Groove has the best front, and the Trax has the best rear. Overall, the Trax has the best stance. I'm not feeling any particular affinity for the Beat--it just looks too much like a Scion. The Groove's 1-liter diesel is sweet, while the Trax's AWD is awesome. Personally, I'd put the Groove's headlights and diesel into the Trax and call it good. Question: does each of these minicars carry four people? Or does the Beat only carry two (since it has only two doors)?

Either way, all three are impressive.

Not a bad recipe, the Groove has nailed the formula to make it look much larger and upscale and the good bits from the Trax would make it much better.

Beat = very cool

Groove = sorry, the ship has sailed

Trax = nasty

I'd bet some good money that if Chevy released the Groove before the xB it would be hailed on C&G as a good looking, well equipped car and/or if the Chevy bowtie was replaced with the Scion logo it would be called ugly, worthless, cheap, etc. You guys crack me up.

Beat = very cool

Trax = nasty

I'd bet some good money that if Chevy released the Groove before the xB it would be hailed on C&G as a good looking, well equipped car and/or if the Chevy bowtie was replaced with the Scion logo it would be called ugly, worthless, cheap, etc. You guys crack me up.

You can't be serious. Plenty of people already said the Groove was ugly, and I fail to see how anything changes because there is a Scion that has the same general "box" design. You're statement is saying that no one on C&G has ever said a GM vehicle is ugly, which is quite untrue.

Beat = very cool

Trax = nasty

That's funny. About three hours prior to your post, I noted in the photos thread that I disliked the Groove for its Scion resemblance.

When I look at cars, I look at the design language, not the badge. And the Groove just reeks of Scion xB design language, regardless of badge.

If anything, this proves that you can't rebadge a Scion as a Chevy and force me to like it.

Edited by aaaantoine

I would need a 5 speed though.

I think the Beat Is a Yaris/fit rip off but i would take it with a 5 speed tomorrow.

Auto+Econo=Failure

If GM is serious about changing it's image AND acquiring conquest sales - then it needs to build vehicles that appeal to those outside of it's traditional sales base; having fuel-conscious alternatives to offset it's large SUV's isn't exactly a dumb idea either. Building them in a foreign market to keep costs in check & having their base models 'loaded up' would allow GM to sell them at a bit of a premium -- especially since the US market is completely freaking devoid of something in this class that has any sense of styling to it. I think that GM should pursue at least one of these models..

are any or all coming to the U.S.?

Well I didn't ask him what was said at the press conference. However, if GM wasn't seriously thinking about cars like these for the NA market somewhere down the road, then they probably would NOT have shown them in NYC.

If these were meant to be cars for other markets, they probably would've debuted them at the upcoming Korea show.

YES!! The Trax, being the first one we saw, was actually the "worst" of the 3. They are all incredible and well thought out just like the Camaro concept.

Hands down the Groove is my favorite.

They definetely should, 100% go into production. ALL THREE OF THEM. Groove as a Chevy, Beat as Pontiac, and Trax (if it goes into production) as a Saturn. This would be the perfect example of how to build totally different cars on the same platform (aren't all 3 of these on the same platform?)

The more I look at them, the more I am liking them. What I deffinatly like is that fact that these 3 vehicles are deffinatly more promanant in design than it's current competitors (Scion, Fit, Yaris). Whether you like the styling or not, they deffinalty aren't bland. I see it as edgey, and that's what they need.