NYIAS: 2008 Chevy HHR Panel Wraps

GM @ NYIAS
2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel Wraps
Posted Image

NEW YORK – What better way to illustrate the uses for the new Chevrolet HHR Panel than with the vehicles themselves? Chevy is doing exactly that at the New York Auto Show with two eye-popping wraps – one for business, the other for pleasure.

A delivery vehicle that looks like a bouquet on wheels shows how the HHR Panel can deliver the goods without draining the gas tank. A personal-use Panel, “Skull From Hell,” was designed by student Jim McCammon of Detroit ’s Center for Creative Studies.

A creative alliance between Chevrolet and Detroit's College for Creative Studies gave CCS students real-life experience in the competitive world of design and consulting, and provided Chevrolet with a glimpse of what vehicles and brands stir young adults’ souls.

Seven CCS juniors researched target demographics and created exclusive designs and integrated marketing plans, aimed at 18- 25-year-olds, for Chevy’s brand-new HHR Panel. An executive team lead by GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz chose the winning concept, “Skull from Hell,” developed by Jim McCammon of Livonia, which was brought to life on the HHR Panel. McCammon’s artistry will be on display at the New York Auto Show beginning Wednesday through April 15. The show, at the Jacob Javits Convention Center , opens to the public on Friday.

“This project with CCS is a unique opportunity for Chevrolet to promote the HHR Panel to a specific audience while allowing students’ creativity to shine on the vehicles’ blank canvas,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “It’s a great way to demonstrate how to make the HHR Panel a perfect fit for its audience, whether it’s a large company, small business or an individual who just wants to be expressive. I think enthusiasts will be inspired by the student designs and we’ll see more customizing like this on the road.”

HHR Panel production began this month. It will be offered in LS and LT trims, with 2.2L and 2.4L engines – both of which help the HHR deliver 30 mpg in highway driving.

“We are thrilled that students in our Integrated Marketing class have been asked to take on this exciting real-world project. It provides a perfect example of how the Chevrolet brand experience extends beyond traditional media,” said Mark Zapico, chair of Advertising Design at CCS. “The commitment by Chevrolet and the time they have given to enriching the education of these students has been unbelievable.”

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

HI ALL :)

First Time Poster Here.

With the many design ideas I think of and design flaws I discover I would like to offer the following:

HHR Z71 - Same shape & style, just bigger, a V8, 4x4, and cargo doors in the back!

If I could select some pull down menus to order one ( oh yeahhh )

Current HHR - Cargo Doors in the back. I don't what average height for ppl that own the HHR is,

BUT, I cannot stand up straight under the rear hatch opening, I'm 6'1. I REALLY have

to watch walking to and from the rear hatch, and I've banged my head on it countless

times.

Window Switches. What a pain to use a single one, let alone all 4. Put them in a 2x2

configuration, and not so close to the floor!!! At least the level of our waistline or higher

I am sure that people with arthritis absolutely cringe at using them. I do and I don't

even have arthritis! (it hurts the joints a little bit to operate them)

The rest is really nice!

HHR SS - Wether or not the SS name should be granted, a HHR with ALL WHEEL DRIVE, more power

from turbo, supercharge, or bigger engine, 2 doors, with the option of Convertible Top!

HHR WWII - (or Heritage, Vintage, Classic, or some other name to envoke the 40's

Handles, Knobs, Wheels, Dash, Seat styling, Chrome Bumpers, OOoga horn (in addtion to standard safety horn), all

the things you can to make this classic design feel as if it is a restored car and not from the 21st century! While

maintaining safety standards and structural integrity.

(for this I would wait in line outside for 3 months!)

I really feel that the WWII and the Z71 would be a sellout with waiting list and hope someone is inspired by these ideas enough to draw up some sketches! :thumbsup:

p.s. Glass Roof with built in (semi transparent?) solar panel to trickle the battery as well as to power fans for venting out heat when parked in the sun!

p.p.s. USB port on radio for playing MP3 songs (from USB Stick) would be really nice and an inexpensive option.

HI ALL :)

First Time Poster Here.

Well first off welcome to our little corner of the web. Hope you stick around and make some e-friends from our unique little group.

With the many design ideas I think of and design flaws I discover I would like to offer the following:

HHR Z71 - Same shape & style, just bigger, a V8, 4x4, and cargo doors in the back!

If I could select some pull down menus to order one ( oh yeahhh )

While this would be hella cool it isn't going to happen from the factory. The HHR is based on Delta, a FWD only unibody chassis. The LS4 w/ AWD system could be done but for the market segment GM is going after it would not be high volume or profitable enough to justify it. An aftermarket company like Mallet could likely do it and make some big change but don't expect it from the General.
Current HHR - Cargo Doors in the back. I don't what average height for ppl that own the HHR is,

BUT, I cannot stand up straight under the rear hatch opening, I'm 6'1. I REALLY have

to watch walking to and from the rear hatch, and I've banged my head on it countless

times.

Actually I really like Cargo Doors but orders and consumer reserach showed that people preffer the liftback. My grandmother ordered one of the last cargo doored GMT800 SUVs only to have the dealer order it wrong. She took delivery anyway, with the lift gate rear, and actually she is glad she didn't get the cargo doors. She likes a lot of the utility offered by the liftback vs the doors. To each their own I guess.

Window Switches. What a pain to use a single one, let alone all 4. Put them in a 2x2

configuration, and not so close to the floor!!! At least the level of our waistline or higher

I am sure that people with arthritis absolutely cringe at using them. I do and I don't

even have arthritis! (it hurts the joints a little bit to operate them)

The center window switches are something GM picked up from others, particularly European models. By having the switches in the center a dog, cat, or small child can't have its head hanging out the window and step on the button to close the window. Bascially it is a cheap safety feature that also saves on development costs. Don't coun't on this one changing anytime soon, the new G8 has switches like this as well.
HHR SS - Wether or not the SS name should be granted, a HHR with ALL WHEEL DRIVE, more power

from turbo, supercharge, or bigger engine, 2 doors, with the option of Convertible Top!

Expect the SS or Sport model, my preffered name, to come out within the next 2 years. It will have a FWD version of the 2.0DI Turbo Ecotec found in the current Solstice GXP and SKY Redline. AWD will not come until the HHR moves to a chassis capable of it, the next full redesign. That should come early next decade.

HHR WWII - (or Heritage, Vintage, Classic, or some other name to envoke the 40's

Handles, Knobs, Wheels, Dash, Seat styling, Chrome Bumpers, OOoga horn (in addtion to standard safety horn), all

the things you can to make this classic design feel as if it is a restored car and not from the 21st century! While

maintaining safety standards and structural integrity.

(for this I would wait in line outside for 3 months!)

Again this sounds like an aftermarket kit that could be done more effectively than a factory backed effort. I just don't think volume could justify the investment. But a cool idea none the less.
I really feel that the WWII and the Z71 would be a sellout with waiting list and hope someone is inspired by these ideas enough to draw up some sketches! :thumbsup:

p.s. Glass Roof with built in (semi transparent?) solar panel to trickle the battery as well as to power fans for venting out heat when parked in the sun!

p.p.s. USB port on radio for playing MP3 songs (from USB Stick) would be really nice and an inexpensive option.

The USB port thing is coming. I remember seeing a pic of an HHR w/ a USB chord in the upper glovebox but I think it was just for Ipod integration. I do expect that once hard drive systems, like the Chrysler MyGig, are added to more and more passenger cars things like this will become more common.

Again welcome, and be sure to offer your opinion on all topics.