Choppin' Competition #41 - Chevy El Camino

Welcome to Choppin' Competition #41!

Posted Image

Ford was first in 1957 with a solid-bodied hybrid of a car and pickup truck, but GM wasn't far behind. Two years after the Ranchero's introduction, Chevrolet responded with the Impala-based El Camino and not only did it outlive its Ford competitor, but its name has become iconic among enthusiasts of all stripes. The beloved 'Elky' ended production in 1987, but lives on today overseas as the Ute, still rear-wheel drive and based on a fullsize car platform. With word of a US market VE-based Ute possibly greenlit, the El Camino could live again.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design a modern day El Camino or GMC Caballero. An obvious model would be using the Holden Ute and its derivatives, but you can use whatever you want as long as your final product is a car-based pickup. Remember that today's marketplace has evolved, so an extended-cab or four-door may be a good idea. Be innovative and use any variation of Chevy and GMC design cues you wish or create new ones.

Some Picture Sources...
-Holden Ute @Autodeadline*

Size guidelines remain at 800x600, so please size your entry accordingly. Please do not submit your images as Bitmap (.bmp) files.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize from C&G!

Deadline is Friday June 8th @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck and have fun! :CG_all:

*Instructions for accessing high-resolution images through AutoDeadline:
Replace the bold, orange section of the URL...
(http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?silverado&Source=all)
...with the make/model/etc you're searching for. Replacing 'silverado' with 'lesabre' will bring up downloadable hi-res images of the Buick LeSabre.

Funny, I did this in March '06.

I would definitely do it different now.

BTW - this is not an entry, I was just throwing this out for inspiration.

Posted Image

Edited by Olds Guy

Wow Dodgefan. A worldclass chop if I have ever seen one!!!!

Here is my attempt...

Posted Image

Thanks! You're is awesome too! What is it based off? Kinda reminds me of the Fairlane with a pickup bed and a Chevy front end. It's blocky (in a good way) and quite a different take on the Camino than I would have thought of.

Edited by Dodgefan

One problem with that chop, Dodgefan: The grille is too small. Otherwise, very nice. 8)

I was originally gonna go bigger, but it just looked better this size...details fit together right.

I like the grille that size... and... IT"S A ZETA! :thumbsup:

:AH-HA_wink:

Thanks! You're is awesome too! What is it based off? Kinda reminds me of the Fairlane with a pickup bed and a Chevy front end. It's blocky (in a good way) and quite a different take on the Camino than I would have thought of.

Its actually based off of a Range Rover concept SUV.

Its actually based off of a Range Rover concept SUV.