June 2007 Sales: General Motors

GM Reports 326,300 June Deliveries
(Monthly comparison percentages are adjusted for sales days unless noted. Annual and calendar year-to-date comparisons are unadjusted.)
CLICK HERE FOR DIVISIONAL AND MODEL BREAKOUTS

• GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK and Buick Enclave Achieve Industry Mid-Crossover Segment Leadership with Significant Retail and Total Sales Increases
  • Daily Rental Sales Down 22 Percent In June; Down Almost 100,000 in First Half of 2007
  • All-New Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Boost Full-Size Pickup Total and Retail Sales Increase in First Half of 2007 Compared With A Year Ago
DETROIT – GM dealers in the United States delivered 326,300 vehicles in June, down 24 percent, compared with year-ago monthly sales. The decline was partly attributed to a planned reduction of an additional 13,487 daily rental sale vehicles in the month. GM now has taken more than 92,000 daily rental vehicles out of the sales totals in 2007.

“Given the planned reduction in daily rental sales, we expected June would be a tough comparison to a year ago. Our retail performance for the month was also below the solid running rate we’ve experienced for the first half of the year which we attribute to a soft industry and lower incentive spending than our competitors. However, we continue to believe that maintaining a disciplined approach to both incentives and daily rental car sales is key to making our marketing strategy work in the long run,” said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North American Sales, Service and Marketing.

“We continue our focus on the retail side of the equation and first-half results were solid,” LaNeve added. “We are delighted with the continuing success of new products, especially the GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK and Buick Enclave. As with many of our vehicles, these all-new crossovers offer great fuel economy, terrific performance and outstanding value. For example, a year ago we were selling only about 3,000 mid-utility crossover vehicles. This June we blew the doors off the segment with deliveries in excess of 15,000.”

Increased sales of the Saturn AURA, as well as the new mid-size crossovers GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK and Buick Enclave, demonstrate GM’s strong positioning in the marketplace for fuel-efficient vehicles. The GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK and Buick Enclave had retail sales of more than 12,000 vehicles, pushing a significant retail increase in GM’s mid-crossover segment. GM’s total sales of more than 15,000 vehicles in this segment pushed monthly performance up more than 377 percent, compared with the same month last year.

The all-new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickup trucks – fuel efficiency leaders in their class – helped the GM full-size pickup segment post a first half 2007 sales increase, compared with the same period a year ago, in a challenging industry environment. The Silverado and Sierra also offer the best warranty coverage and residual values in segment, a winning combination for these products.

“We’re seeing increased residual values for our products as a result of staying aligned and disciplined to our North American turnaround and market growth plans. For customers, this means providing industry-leading products in terms of design, segment fuel economy, warranty coverage and performance,” LaNeve added. “This translates to a beneficial cost of ownership experience. With new products such as the Cadillac CTS and Chevrolet Malibu coming to dealer showrooms later this year, we expect to build on this customer enthusiasm.”

Certified Used Vehicles

June 2007 sales for all certified GM brands, including GM Certified Used Vehicles, Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, Saturn Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, Saab Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, and HUMMER Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, were 45,876 units, up 6 percent from last June. Total year-to-date certified GM sales are 273,241 units, up 4 percent from the same period last year.

GM Certified Used Vehicles, the industry’s top-selling manufacturer-certified used brand, posted 40,423 sales, up 9 percent from last June. Year-to-date sales for GM Certified Used Vehicles are 240,138 units, up 5 percent from the same period in 2006.

Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles posted June sales of 3,108 units, down 14 percent from last June. Saturn Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles sold 1,484 units in June, down 9 percent. Saab Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles sold 764 units, down 11 percent from last June, and HUMMER Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles sold 97 units, up nearly 7 percent.

“GM Certified Used Vehicles, the industry’s top-selling manufacturer-certified brand, posted a strong performance in June, leading the segment with sales of 40,423 units, up 9 percent from last June,” said LaNeve. “GM Certified is on track to build on this momentum toward another record performance for the category for 2007.”

GM North America Reports June and Second-Quarter 2007 Production, 2007 Third-Quarter Production Forecast Unchanged at 1.075 Million Vehicles

In June, GM North America produced 404,000 vehicles (142,000 cars and 262,000 trucks). This is down 56,000 units or 12 percent compared to June 2006 when the region produced 460,000 vehicles (173,000 cars and 287,000 trucks). (Production totals include joint venture production of 21,000 vehicles in June 2007 and 27,000 vehicles in June 2006.)

GM North America built 1.141 million vehicles (401,000 cars and 740,000 trucks) in the second-quarter of 2007. This is down 96,000 vehicles or 8 percent compared to second-quarter of 2006 when the region produced 1.237 million vehicles (462,000 cars and 775,000 trucks). The region’s 2007 third-quarter production forecast is unchanged at 1.075 million vehicles (377,000 cars and 698,000 trucks).

GM also announced revised 2007 second-quarter and third-quarter production forecasts for its international regions.

GM Europe –The region’s 2007 second-quarter production forecast is revised at 463,000 vehicles, down 5,000 units from last month’s guidance. In the second-quarter of 2006 the region built 495,000 vehicles. The region’s 2007 third-quarter production forecast remains unchanged at 389,000 vehicles. In the third-quarter of 2006 the region built 374,000 vehicles.

GM Asia Pacific – GM Asia Pacific’s 2007 second-quarter production forecast is revised at 569,000 vehicles, up 1,000 units from last month’s guidance. In the second-quarter of 2006 the region built 482,000 vehicles. The region’s 2007 third-quarter production forecast is revised at 518,000 vehicles, down 6,000 units from last month’s guidance. In the third-quarter of 2006 the region built 433,000 vehicles.

GM Latin America, Africa and the Middle East – The region’s 2007 second-quarter production forecast is revised at 234,000 vehicles, up 1,000 units from last month’s guidance. In the second-quarter of 2006 the region built 206,000 vehicles. The region’s 2007 third-quarter production forecast is unchanged at 258,000 vehicles. In the third-quarter of 2006 the region built 215,000 vehicles.

Lucerne (6996) outsold Avalon (5661) again, which just makes me all smiles.

The Impala is now - get this - the second best-selling car in America this month and only about 2500 units behind the Accord YTD (180k vs. 182k). I know, fleets and all that, but regardless. Its something fun to mention.

9-3 sales are rather shockingly up. 40% over last year...??

I'm still not getting the AURA issue.

Enclave is very strong out of the gate, almost outselling the OUTLOOK, which has been out for months now. Very good considering the price is naturally higher as well as the public's aversion to $30k+ Buicks for some reason.

Acadia is incredible. 7,000 units! I'm sure that blows away anything else in the segment.

H3 numbers are surprisingly steady, only slighty down vis a vis last year.

Uplander...up? WTF?

I'm a little worried with June's sales...what happened? Even a lot of the recent models are down such as the Tahoe. Just a quick skim down the page and I'm seeing a lot of 25-50% drops. I know some of it is decreasing fleet sales, but 25% is pretty substantial. There are some bright spots like the Enclave, Acadia, and Outlook, but some like the Aura are pretty puzzling. The new 'Bu, CTS, and G8 can't come soon enough.

Lucerne (6996) outsold Avalon (5661) again, which just makes me all smiles.

The Impala is now - get this - the second best-selling car in America this month and only about 2500 units behind the Accord YTD (180k vs. 182k). I know, fleets and all that, but regardless. Its something fun to mention.

9-3 sales are rather shockingly up. 40% over last year...??

I'm still not getting the AURA issue.

Enclave is very strong out of the gate, almost outselling the OUTLOOK, which has been out for months now. Very good considering the price is naturally higher as well as the public's aversion to $30k+ Buicks for some reason.

Acadia is incredible. 7,000 units! I'm sure that blows away anything else in the segment.

H3 numbers are surprisingly steady, only slighty down vis a vis last year.

Uplander...up? WTF?

The Lucerne is a good car. It should be outselling arguably the worst new Toyota product in a decade.

The Impala, I believe, is doing well at the expense of the 'bu.

The 9-3 has some amazing incentives right now (between 4-8k, with dealer spiffs)

The Aura is clearly a marketing issue. It's not getting the support it needs. The comparo ads lasted all of 2 weeks in our region.

The Enclave is a great product, in a segment that should be a natural for the Buick dealers.

The Acadia --ditto the Enclave

H3 is substituting for the H2 IMO

Uplander---couldn't tell ya...probably fleeting.

Edited by enzl

Uplander...up? WTF?

Hey Grand Prix went up! :smilewide:

Given that these three vehicles are rental queens, GM is probably sending more of them to fleet now despite fleet cuts on other models.

It's either that for the Uplander, or it's the absence of other GM minivans that have brought its sales up.

Also, I don't get the Silverado....it only sold 49,000 and is down 26% vs. the F-150 selling 65,000 and remaining fairly flat. The F-series outsold both the Silverado and Sierra in June...that doesn't make sense.

F-150 gets fleeted more. Silverado has been outselling it in retail sales. F-Series also has some insane incentives.

Hey Grand Prix went up! :smilewide:

Fleet most likely.

I have no explanation for this; perhaps the low incentives when compared to Ford and Chrysler was the reason.

I can live with this since A) they're continuing to cut fleet and B) since they're cutting fleet while increasing retail, they're going to be more profitable.

I don't think retail is up, at least not for June. 24% overall drop is way too big to be due to fleet cuts, especially since some of the heavily fleeted cars like Impala and Grand Prix aren't the ones that are down.

The Aura is clearly a marketing issue. It's not getting the support it needs. The comparo ads lasted all of 2 weeks in our region.

I agree 100%...

According to our local Toyota dealer, they are the "largest Toyota dealer" in either the region or the states. And I can see why, the Southeast has ALWAYS been strong for Toyota not to mention this area is "I hate Detroit/I hate big business-liberal" capital of the east coast.

Guess how many Auras ads I've seen.... I could probably count them all on two hands. Guess how many "side-by-side" ads I've seen.... ONE!

The lack of advertising for the Outlook is even worse...

I'm dead serious when I say this; GM will not survive unless they LEARN how to market, inform the consumer and CONQUEST sales.... It's that simple. They could've had TONS of conquests here, yet they completely missed the boat.

And all this while I'm seeing 1) More and more Tundras every day and 2) More and more braison Tundra ads that WILL conquest YOUNG buyers from the big 3.

I guess some things never change; Detroit sitting idly with it's head in the clouds, giving up yet another dominated segment without so much as a fight.