Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Pontiac G8 to start at $27,595 | Ordering Guide

Would you buy a G8 for the price?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing the pricing of the Pontiac G8, would you buy one?

• Yes, make mine a $29,995 V8 GT!
    • Definitely, I'll take a $27,595 V6 GT!
    • Yes and either make a great deal!
    • Maybe...the pricing is a little high
    • Nah, too much for my blood

Word from GM's Global Rear Wheel Drive Vehicle Line Executive Gene Stefanyshyn "The manual transmission is coming and is...a later introduction. It will be offered on a V8 only and with a special model." Special model meaning a GXP perhaps? Time will tell, but we'll be anxiously waiting. Thank again to Mr. Stefanyshyn for keep us updated on this great Pontiac!
Pontiac Announces G8 Pricing
New RWD Performance Sedan to Start Under $28k
Posted Image

DETROIT - Pontiac today confirmed pricing for its new rear-wheel drive G8 performance sedan will start at $27,595 when it hits the streets in early 2008. The V-8 powered G8 GT will be available for $29,995.

“The G8 represents the next phase in Pontiac’s commitment to bring seductively designed, high-performance vehicles to the showroom floor,” said Craig Bierley, Pontiac marketing director. “Our dealers and customers have been anxiously waiting for this vehicle since we first showed it at the Chicago Auto Show in February, so we’re really excited to get this car on the street early next year.”

The G8 is powered by a 3.6-liter VVT V-6 engine and five-speed automatic transmission and comes equipped with a number of standard convenience and safety features, including StabiliTrak electronic stability control, six airbags and OnStar. The G8 GT ups the ante with a 6.0-liter V-8 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and additional standard equipment.

Pontiac G8 Ordering Guide
Posted Image
Click HERE to view Ordering Guide

Key Specs
Curb Weight - 3885/3995 (base/GT)
Cargo Volume - 17.5 cuft
Fuel Capacity - 19 gallons

Key Standard Features (G8)
  • Dual front, side, full side curtain airbags
  • Single-zone manual A/C
  • Blaupunkt 7-speaker stereo w/5" screen
  • Driver Info Center
  • Cruise control
  • OnStar
  • Folding blade key
  • Remote start
  • Tilt-n-telescoping steering column
  • 4-way power driver/pass seats
  • Dual stainless steel exhaust tips
  • Foglamps
  • Stabilitrak
  • Traction control
  • 3.6l 261hp V6/5spd automatic
Key Standard Features (G8 GT) - In addition to/replacing above...
  • Dual-zone automatic A/C
  • Blaupunkt 11-speaker stereo w/6.5" screen
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel
  • Decklid liner (?)
  • Quad stainless steel exhaust tips
  • Tire inflation kit (replaces compact spare)
  • 6.0l 361hp V8/6spd automatic
Premium Package (Opt G8, G8 GT)
  • Leather seats
  • Heated seats
  • 6-way power driver/pass seats
  • Leather-wrapped shift lever
  • Rear center armrest

This makes me happy... once they get the "Build and Price" going on the page, I'll see which G8 I can look forward to, if any.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since a loaded CTS is more than I could resposiably justify I have "Settled" on the G8 since it is a sleak and sexy RWD v8 small block machine that is supposed to remind the driver of the last generation M5. With the price coming in this low and my Mets post season refund coming through, I wil be putting my $500 deposit down as soon as that money clears into my account to ensure I get this very resonably priced beast of a car.

Yeah, this will do well. It will certainly sell out the small number they're bringing. The prices compare well to the Charger and (as mentioned) that's quite a feat given that this is imported from Australia and the dollar is very weak right now. But then again, this will never be built in the U.S. as the next gen is bound for Oshawa, correct?

I don't usually like to nitpick what I think is a solid all around entry, but they really do need to offer this with a manual.

Considering the level of equipment and high level of fit and finish the price seems reasonable. Though it does seem high for a Pontiac in general.

It's not that much more than a 3.6 L G6. What do you want? A G8 priced lower than the G6? We have one of those already—it's called a Grand Prix.

excellent pricing. pontiac will sell all of them, assuming the dealers don't try to go trigger happy with the markups!

Oh you just know the Pontiac dealers are starting to salivate over how much they can rape customers for on the G8 (they did it with the GTO and Solstice, what makes you think they won't for the G8???). If Pontiac is to survive, then GM needs to put a leash on it's Pontiac dealers before they screw up the G8 launch and continued sales. I'd like to consider one for myself, but already dread hearing the salesperson try to justify their $5000 markup "because of their limited availabilty". <_<

V6 price seems quite steep. The Dodge Charger SXT starts at $25,685.

V8 price sounds really good!! :thumbsup: ......as the Charger R/T starts at $30,755.

The Charger SXT also appears to have more standard features to me. I would guess GM purposefully priced the V6 high in hopes that more V8s would be built. The Charger is a much more high-volume product, so the V6 needs to have a bigger price advantage over the V8. The G8's target of 30k/year is probably lower than what the Charger R/T sells by itself, so GM could probably sell all V8s if it wanted to.

Great! These price points will help to distance Pontiac from Chevy and help Pontiac move back up market from Chevy. This should also help keep G8 prices below any future RWD full size Buicks inorder to keep the brands in order. As long as GM keeps the Impala priced well below this as it is now, Pontiac should be able to look more like an American BMW then a fancy Chevrolet.

A little high for the V6 as I would have liked to see it start at $26,000. As for the V8 I am pleased to see anything under $30,000.

The G6 was over priced n the sticker as $28,000 was more than it was worth. At least the dealers are willing to deal.

The G8 is a great price for a lot of car and it should do very well.

This is only a car intended to hold us till the Canadian car get produced if all goes as planned.

For the one asking about the manual 6 speed tranny, it should be here as stated above.

Edited by hyperv6

No Navigation for a $30K car? :ph34r::duck:

Navigation is just another new option that every pu$$y who;s

too much of a retard to tri-fold a map NEEDS.

No Navigation for a $30K car? :ph34r::duck:

But it gets a 6.0l V8, RWD and leather trim. Hmmm....which would I rather have???

But seriously....I'm sure it can be added at any time as it is already available in Aust and NZ. If you are serious about one of these and need Nav, start writing to Pontiac.

Edited by TKR

Navigation is just another new option that every pu$$y who;s

too much of a retard to tri-fold a map NEEDS.

... or it's a new option that travelers who don't wish to buy a city map of every locale they may happen to travel to DESIRES.

Can't find a restaurant on a map either.

How soon we all forget... Guys before we keep bitching about 27.5K we should keep it mind a Bonneville SLE in 2005 started out at over 30K and a SE at like 28K so this doesn't seem so bad now does it? And also a GXP with a V8 started out at 36K, and I can prolly have every option for that price!

Thought o' the Day: Pontiac has an artificially-higher price on the V6 to balance out the ridiculously reasonable price on the V8.

With such a small disparity, why wouldn't you get the GT? You actually still end up paying more, meaning a higher profit off each car. Plus, as GM4life mentioned, people who want to just buy the biggest Pontiac are used to $27k anyway.

Where is our Human Time bomb.

Even he would have to agree that this is a very well priced car and will sell out easily.

The best thing here for GM is I got near $10,000 off on my GTP Comp G that was stickered at $32, 000 So GM did not make much if anything on my car. This car they will be able to sell near or at sticker and GM and the dealer both should do well.

:dance: At first, I was surprised at the pricing on the V6 model, but that models comes with alot of features the SXT Charger does not, so I can justify the $2,000 higher price. For example, side curtain air bags, OnStar, XM radio, 18 inch wheels. All are optional or unavailable on the Charger. I prefer the looks of the G8 to the Charger as well. The Charger is a great sedan, and props to Chrysler for making it, but the G8 is more interesting. Where my heart lies is with the GT though. Thats my birthday present to myself!

That is a good price. They have to price it above the G6 and forget the range the Grand Prix was in. $27,000 is a V6 Aura or Camry, so that is on par. I shutter every time I see the Holden interior, itis so bad. People looking for a cheap V8 will like this car though.

Considering the level of equipment and high level of fit and finish the price seems reasonable. Though it does seem high for a Pontiac in general.

Well Pontiac is tired of being Chevy's extra slack...

its time Pontiac picked up its barganing level... and raised the bar, because Chevy must remain the Value King.. Pontiac must raise its bar as sports oriented... you pay for what you get, thats why you get a pontiac...

I would like to point out that the 2005 Bonneville SE was $27,965. That was with cloth bench seats and 205hp. In fact, for those - including me - saying 'where is the Bonneville successor?' this is it. Feature content is of parity if not better in some instances like the Baupunkt radio and airbag count. Trunk size is only down half a cubic foot. Power is way, way, way up. SLE buyers won't miss a thing where SSEi owners'll get the big punch they're used to.

Big size, big power, good looks, exceptional value. The legend continues sans the nameplate.

Also, yes you can get a Charger or 300 for $23,000, but what do you get? That's right; a $23,000 Chrysler with wheel covers, four tinny speakers, and an anemic rental car mill under the hood. For an extra five grand, I'll take superior power, styling, and a decidedly un-Dollar special feel.

Offering the manual on a 'special edition only' is suicide in the world of affordable V8 power IMO.

If you're going to market a car to the enthusiast niche (Where Pontiac is going) then price the only version of the car TRUE enthusiasts want out of their price range, then what's the point?

Sure, the price is nice, but will people who this car is truly supposed to appeal to opt for it despite the stingy manual habits of GM.

I know I wouldn't... It'd be a deal breaker.

And BTW, to whomever said that this car is supposed to remind enthusiasts of the last M5... WTF??!?! That right there is indicative of the problems with the car and GM/Pontiac in general. Why try to build a car that's only as good as the last generation of your competitor?

Thought o' the Day: Pontiac has an artificially-higher price on the V6 to balance out the ridiculously reasonable price on the V8.

With such a small disparity, why wouldn't you get the GT? You actually still end up paying more, meaning a higher profit off each car. Plus, as GM4life mentioned, people who want to just buy the biggest Pontiac are used to $27k anyway.

leaves the door open to a rebate on the v6. i don't see the v8 getting rebates.

the v6 isn't bad. we are talking large rwd car with stabilitrak. the accord is not much less, if at all. and for sure the g8 will make the accord look like the excrement it is at that price.

leaves the door open to a rebate on the v6. i don't see the v8 getting rebates.

the v6 isn't bad. we are talking large rwd car with stabilitrak. the accord is not much less, if at all. and for sure the g8 will make the accord look like the excrement it is at that price.

except for the fact that to your way of thinking everyone north of the mason-dixon line will be buying the accord cause the G8 does not come AWD. :rolleyes:

oh, and the excrement accord will probably outsell Pontiac's entire car lineup. and the excrement Camry will outsell the entire Pontiac division.

oh, and the excrement accord will probably outsell Pontiac's entire car lineup. and the excrement Camry will outsell the entire Pontiac division.

We all know that... and it has nothing to do with the Accord or Camry being a better or more exciting car.

Toyota Camry	   3.5  V6  272  $23,960
Nissan Altima	  3.5  V6  274  $24,705
Saturn Aura XR	 3.6  V6  255  $25,495
Kia Amanti		 3.8  V6  266  $26,195
Hyundai Azera	  3.8  V6  267  $26,195
Dodge Charger SXT  3.5  V6  255  $26,580
Honda Accord	   3.5  V6  272  $26,595
Pontiac G6 GTP	 3.6  V6  255  $26,695
Chevrolet Malibu   3.6  V6  255  $26,995
Pontiac G8		 3.6  V6  265  $27,595
Toyota Avalon	  3.5  V6  270  $27,735
Chrysler 300	   3.5  V6  255  $28,685
Nissan Maxima	  3.5  V6  259  $28,755
Subaru Legacy GT   2.5T B4  246  $28,940
Lincoln MKZ		3.5  V6  267  $29,890
Volkswagen Passat  3.6  V6  280  $30820
Subaru Legacy 3.0R 3.0  B6  245  $31,940
Some of these are 2007MY prices, but most are for the 2008 MY. Power figures are PS, partially from memory and should be taken only as a rough guide.

The Malibu is the LTZ, a 2LT with the 3.6 will presumably be cheaper.

Edited by thegriffon

Toyota Camry	   3.5  V6  272  $23,960
Nissan Altima	  3.5  V6  274  $24,705
Saturn Aura XR	 3.6  V6  255  $25,495
Kia Amanti		 3.8  V6  266  $26,195
Hyundai Azera	  3.8  V6  267  $26,195
Dodge Charger SXT  3.5  V6  255  $26,580
Honda Accord	   3.5  V6  272  $26,595
Pontiac G6 GTP	 3.6  V6  255  $26,695
Chevrolet Malibu   3.6  V6  255  $26,995
Pontiac G8		 3.6  V6  265  $27,595
Toyota Avalon	  3.5  V6  270  $27,735
Chrysler 300	   3.5  V6  255  $28,685
Nissan Maxima	  3.5  V6  259  $28,755
Subaru Legacy GT   2.5T B4  246  $28,940
Lincoln MKZ		3.5  V6  267  $29,890
Volkswagen Passat  3.6  V6  250  $30,600
Subaru Legacy 3.0R 3.0  B6  245  $31,940
Some of these are 2007MY prices, but most are for the 2008 MY. Power figures are PS, partially from memory and should be taken only as a rough guide.

The Malibu is the LTZ, a 2LT with the 3.6 will presumably be cheaper.

Passats in the US get a 280 PS 3.6 instead of the 3.2.

That is a good price. They have to price it above the G6 and forget the range the Grand Prix was in. $27,000 is a V6 Aura or Camry, so that is on par. I shutter every time I see the Holden interior, itis so bad. People looking for a cheap V8 will like this car though.

Why?

The interior is just fine, and should exceed expectations of a discerning customer, especially in this price range.

Rereading this thread this morning, I think I said what I did in my first post because the 3.6L car is priced higher than what I personally would want to spend for something that looks this anonymous. I wanted to want it, but so far I just don't.