GM @ SEMA: Pontiac 50 Cent G8

Chris_Doane

For release: Oct. 30, 2007, 12:01 a.m. EDT

50 CENT’S NEW WHIP IS A 500-HORSEPOWER PONTIAC G8 CUSTOMIZED BY UNIQUE AUTOSPORTS

Posted Image

Posted Image

With lyrics that don’t pull punches and themes that are brutally honest, rapper 50 Cent (a.k.a. Curtis Jackson) has risen to the top of the hip hop scene. He’s also a passionate car enthusiast with a penchant for Pontiacs – his video for the song “Amusement Park” featured the G6 GXP and G8 concept cars.

Now, 50 Cent has teamed up with Pontiac and New York-based tuner to the stars, Will Castro, and his shop, Unique Autosports (the same shop featured on the television show “Unique Whips”), to build a one-of-a-kind G8 performance sedan. It debuted at the 2007 SEMA Show in Las Vegas.

“Partnering with Pontiac has given me the opportunity to create something truly unique – a customized performance vehicle I am really proud of,” said 50. “The G8 is like none other and it pushes the boundaries of what people think a car has to be.”

The new G8 – which goes on sale nationally in early 2008 – is totally customized, with custom paint and exterior appointments, as well as a re-trimmed interior outfitted with an audio system that shakes the ground as much as 50 Cent’s three albums shook up the charts. The car is powered by an LSX 427 engine dyno-tested to more than 500 horsepower and assembled only with components available from the GM Performance Parts catalog or GM Parts.

Rockin’ the spot

The LSX 427 engine uses GM Performance Parts’ affordable, durable LSX cylinder block as its foundation. The engine assembly was filled out with a variety of production-based components used on the Corvette Z06’s 7.0L LS7 engine, including a forged steel crankshaft, lightweight titanium connecting rods, racing-derived aluminum cylinder heads and a complete LS7 intake/throttle body/fuel injection system. Engine operation is handled with GM Performance Parts’ new stand-alone LS7 crate engine controller.

Detroit-area Thomson Automotive oversaw the assembly, dyno testing and installation of the engine. From there, the car was shipped to Unique Autosports, on New York’s Long Island, for the rest of its transformation, which included:

• An all-new Spies Hecker Torch Red exterior paint job accented with a bold Ebony graphic that mimics the shape of Pontiac’s “dart” insignia; the graphic runs over the top of the car, starting at a point on the front fascia

• Twenty-two-inch chrome wheels from NC Forged that have a deep-dish, seven-spoke design

• Low-profile Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires

• Dark-tinted taillamps

• Tinted glass with Llumar film

• Custom “50 Cent Unique Autosports Edition” exterior badging

• Borla stainless steel exhaust system

“The most interesting aspect of the project is what we didn’t do to the exterior,” said Will Castro. “We didn’t add a body kit, spoilers or lower the car. The G8 has the right stance and appearance, so we only accented the original form with details that made it unique to 50 Cent.”

Inside, the G8’s black, leather-covered seats were re-trimmed with perforated red leather inserts – with similar trim used on the armrests. The 50 Cent/Unique Autosports logo was embroidered into the seat headrests and custom floor mats. The finishing touch for the G8 is an 800-watt JBL audio system, with complementing amps and a subwoofer.

“A first-class audio system was a must for 50 Cent, and this one rocks the spot,” said Castro. “In fact, the G8 itself just-plain rocks and makes a great platform to build a custom, high-performance street car.”

What a lousy pic to release as the first one. Can't even get a sense of the car with whatzisface in the way!

Don't you get it. It is 50-cent G8. So fifty cent in foreground and G8 in the background. Just a chop tease from GM. :P

Based on the new pic... in SEMA style, the wheels are HUGE but I like the design. I like the idea of the stripe resembling the Pontiac emblem, and it would be cool if that became a Pontiac trademark. Also, I like the blacked out trim around the grill and (I think) the windows.

Based on the new pic... in SEMA style, the wheels are HUGE but I like the design. I like the idea of the stripe resembling the Pontiac emblem, and it would be cool if that became a Pontiac trademark. Also, I like the blacked out trim around the grill and (I think) the windows.

+1

But ahh the power under the hood is the reason for the car although that ****** 50 had nothing to do with that. Any think he can talk, I mean rap errr sing if you call it that. I don't care for that style of music nor him. But his ride is alright I'd give him a dolla 50 for that.

But ahh the power under the hood is the reason for the car although that ****** 50 had nothing to do with that. Any think he can talk, I mean rap errr sing if you call it that. I don't care for that style of music nor him. But his ride is alright I'd give him a dolla 50 for that.

Now what the hell???...Someone can call a person of color a "******" and thats ok?,but say something about domestic violence and everyone has there asses up on thier backs???.

:nono: And the "Most Racial assclown remark at C&G in memory award" goes to.....

Apparently not.

Gee, I'm surprised...

My caption is "Look some idot spent 60K on a $h!ty Jap car that doesn't even have its exhaust tips connected!"
Once again Toyota didn't do get the job done. Nissan did on the other hand love it or hate the Titan is a good truck. And if I use the word "Jap" I do it because I don't wanna type it all out. But hey who bombed pearl harbor... Sorry forgetting off track.
Yes they had another problem. A Chevrolet or GMC will not have that problem. The Jap's can't build a good fullsize truck!
This is why I hate "jap" $h!. They bombed peral harbor, I will never forget!
FWD was what the Japs brought in

Jap is not a racial slur; it hasn't ever offended anyone I know -- and don't bother whining unless you're asian, because 'guilt stricken' white people just annoy me. Jap is a terminology that is used like 'gay' or 'yank' or 'redneck'

Sure, it's annoying, but it's not as serious as the afore mentioned.

Secondly, I'm VERY impressed with the car! I hate .50, but this G8 is pretty effing hot! The wheels need to shrink a little and lose the 'studs' but other than that, it's exceptional.

Easily one of the best concepts at SEMA.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Jap is not a racial slur; it hasn't ever offended anyone I know -- and don't bother whining unless you're asian, because 'guilt stricken' white people just annoy me. Jap is a terminology that is used like 'gay' or 'yank' or 'redneck'

Secondly, I'm VERY impressed with the car! I hate .50, but this G8 is pretty effing hot! The wheels need to shrink a little and lose the 'studs' but other than that, it's exceptional.

Easily one of the best concepts at SEMA.

I'm Asian and the racial slur "Jap" has offended many people I know...

I'm Asian and the racial slur "Jap" has offended many people I know...

No, the white trash cousin f@#ker makes a good point.

Keep your distance from him and his backwards ass knuckle dragging hick friends that dont think its a slur.

Besides everyone knows the Jews planned Pearl Harbor. *Note sarcasm as it

doesnt always translate well over the computer.

See, nothing wrong with stereotypes,

No, the white trash cousin f@#ker makes a good point.

Keep your distance from him and his backwards ass knuckle dragging hick friends that dont think its a slur.

Besides everyone knows the Jews planned Pearl Harbor. *Note sarcasm as it

doesnt always translate well over the computer.

See, nothing wrong with stereotypes,

:blink:

LOL

they picked a great shop to customize it; this looks better than Pontiac's own G6 Street coupe GXP or whatever that is called. This is tasteful and bold; unique and fashionable. They chose the right mods to make it more aggressive while keeping its streamlined look intact.