Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Buick Tagline

Northstar

Buick drops Aerosmith song
New tag line will stress engineering

By Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / October 24, 2005

LAS VEGAS - Buick is retiring the "Dream Up" marketing tag line it introduced barely a year ago to appeal to younger, wealthier buyers, according to dealers.

Buick's new slogan is "Beyond Precision." Dealers say Buick's marketing general manager, Steve Shannon, announced the tag line at General Motors' 2005 Dealer Business Conference here last week.

Dealers say that the change will take effect in November or early December and that Buick will drop the Aerosmith song "Dream On" from its TV commercials. A Buick spokesman would not comment.

The new tag line is designed to convey the message that Buick exceeds customers' expectations through precision engineering, says John Pitre, general manager of Motor City Buick-Pontiac-GMCin Bakersfield, Calif.

"'Dream Up' was a perception-changing campaign," Pitre says.

Buick wants to use the campaign to position itself "just below Lexus but head to head with Acura," he says.

Adds Dana Tidwell, sales manager at John Rogin Buick in Livonia, Mich.: "The reason they're doing this is to show that Buick is going one step further and giving (buyers) a little more than what they're asking for."

Dealers say Buick executives showed them a rough cut of a new "Beyond Precision" TV spot. Tidwell says it has "a Cirque du Soleil feel."

Pitre says the spot shows a Buick Lucerne in a hangar. Lights shine on the car from every side. The car barrels toward the viewer and speeds away.

The commercial's narration emphasizes that Buick is concerned with maintaining engineering and design tolerances on the car as close as 0.5 millimeter.

More: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54995

I dunno, "Beyond Precision" sounds like a drill or something to me. And last I checked Acura is basically the same as Lexus except they have the RSX and no RWD cars....

[post="33156"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Acura is a second-run to Lexus because of their lack of RWD cars, V8 cars, and completely-independent-of-Honda-styled cars.

Buick wants to use the campaign to position itself "just below Lexus but head to head with Acura," he says.

For someone representing Buick to say this, is total bullshit.

I think many of you know what I mean.

I like it. It's better than "Dream Up"... Fly is correct. Acura is a Tier 2 Luxury brand. Lexus is a Tier 1. I feel that is what Pitre was trying to say. He wants Buick to be repositioned in the market as a Tier 2 luxury brand (where Buick should be.)

^^ I know exactly what you mean. It is total bullshit, and I agree with your points on lack of independent styling, V8 power, and RWD cars. As far as the tagline, I think that what Buick WANTS to do is mimick Acura's image as a value packed line, while competing more directly with Lexus concerning lineup, etc. The article said that "Beyond Precision" means that they're giving the customer something more than expected... Acura's got a great pricing strategy of basically loading they're cars with everything but maybe a navi option, and selling at a discount to the competiton. Hence, the great value. I think this is a good move, and that Buicks should be similarly equipped. Load them up with everything under the sun, push the Quiet tuning, and leave very few options (Navi, V8 option).

I'm a little skeptical about this new tagline. First of all, Buick does not convey precision. Quality is its strength. The new tagline may work for the Lucerne, but the Terraza and Rendezvous? This new tagline reminds me of Cadillac's "The Power of &: The Fusion of Design and Technology", and what a wonder that was. It all depends on the execution. The "Spirit of American Style" had more potential. "Dream Up" would have worked better if the LaCrosse was a more desirable vehicle.

I think this is a good move, and that Buicks should be similarly equipped.   Load them up with everything under the sun, push the Quiet tuning, and leave very few options (Navi, V8 option).

[post="33170"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Perhaps this is why Buick is about to have the trim-level shake up. It's possible Buick will exchange CX,CXL,CXS for one model that's near loaded. Then offer trims like "Reserve" & "Super" as specialty packages.

What if:

1) Once the 3800 is put to rest (maybe by 2007), the LaCrosse will only have the 3.6l V6 engine as standard. Priced around $26,500

2) Once the 3800 is put to rest, the Lucerne will only have the 4.6l NorthStar V8 as standard. Pricing would start around the CXL V8 $30,000-$31,000.

If GM would put the accent on chrome and use heritage names (and have "a touch of nostalgia baked in," as Lutz once said, perhaps about a future Buick), I'd say "Reach back, leap forward!" Or if Buick is aspirational, I think they should use "Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?" - as long as the product line is solid. Or go back to "The Great American Beauty."

<_< But when they started "Dream Up," they promised they would stick with it, after "It's All Good," et al. Once again, a turnabout and no longevity.

I agree that, even without "Super" and "Reserve," should they amount to specialty "packages," Buicks need to be well-equipped and not bland as-is.

VS: Happy B-day buddy. I agree with everything that is being said in this thread..... except for the supposed "need" to drop the 3800 engines. I personally think it's one pf the greatest engines ever made and there's a reason it was voted one of the top ten engines of the 20th century. The 3800, like the smallblock Chevy, should never die. If it aint broke, don;t fix it! Perhaps a revision or update would be nice but not a phaze out. Not unless we start phazing out internal combustion all togeather.

Perhaps this is why Buick is about to have the trim-level shake up. It's possible Buick will exchange CX,CXL,CXS for one model that's near loaded. Then offer trims like "Reserve" & "Super" as specialty packages.

What if:

1) Once the 3800 is put to rest (maybe by 2007), the LaCrosse will only have the 3.6l V6 engine as standard. Priced around $26,500

2) Once the 3800 is put to rest, the Lucerne will only have the 4.6l NorthStar V8 as standard. Pricing would start around the CXL V8 $30,000-$31,000.

[post="33183"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm almost with you in agreement, but would tweek things a little. Let the only engine for the LaX be the 3.6L, and loas it with everything from ventilated seats to memory seats to a cd changer as standard equipment. Use the best materials, nicest wheels currently available, and price it around $30-1K. Only add a navi as a $2K option. Do the same with the Lucerne, having everything under sun as standard equipment, and have two engine choices. The Reserve (3.6L V6 with 17" wheels) will go for 35K; the Super (N* with 18" wheels) goes for $38K. Again, offer the navi as the only option for both Lucernes for 2K more. And while I'm dreaming, I'll say that the 3.6V6 is rated at 270HP (the CTS should get a version at around 285HP), and the N* is rated at 320-330HP (Caddy should get a higer output version, even at a slightly larger displacement, to compete with MB/BMW's new V8s)... okay, I'm done.

I dunno... I thought maybe the "dream up" thing would have stayed around just another year. I mean, I like the idea that it was a transitional phase, but I'm not happy that it was so brief. Let's face it, Buick isn't exactly on the "up" yet... I wouldn't say it's in the clear. I think after the Lucerne's debut, a few months after when people see the car on the road and say, "Hey, this is a nice car" and such, then you can switch to the other slogan. I would have even waited until like 2008 to start this, because hey, the Rainier and Terraza aren't even yawn-worthy vehicles... they're more comatose in styling and excitement. LaCrosse Super, Lucerne Super (if it comes), redesigned Rendezvous, as well as another hot vehicle, and then, hey, bring on that new tagline. Too soon.

What if:

[post="33183"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm hoping that the 3800 is out by 2007 in Buicks. Actually, aren't Buicks the only cars that use it anymore? It's a great engine and all, but the media is really harping on its age and unrefined qualities. Throw in a DOHC standard into every Buick and people will shut up... at least a little more.

The ONLY reason why I think the 3800's time has come is because it's no longer powerful enough in un-SC form to be an adequate entry level engine for Buick.

I love the 3800. I grew up with it and have owned two of them myself. I have no ill will towards the 3800 for being OHV, but the bar in the Premium/Luxury segment has been raised by the competition. V6s are now expected to make 240hp-260hp. Buick can not keep up with the competition by offering the 195-205 hp 3800 as a base/entry level engine. Image is important in this segment. Having it available appears to impact Buick's image. Competitors offer 4-cyl that have as much HP as the 3800. That's a negative. If Buick needs a 200 hp entry level sedan, then Buick needs to offer a small 4-cyl 200 hp sedan. A 21st century Skylark-like compact, perhaps.

I wouldn't feel this way if Buick was heading in its own direction. 200 hp standard is enough HP to move anything under 2-tons without effort, but the brands that Buick is targeting don't settle for "good enough." They're setting the standards.

If GM is serious about Buick rivaling the mentioned brands, Buick will need competitive powertrains standard. This is why I think the 3.6l should be standard on the LaCrosse & the 4.6l standard on the Lucerne... along with the 6-sp automatics that will be out in a year or two.

However, if Buick isn't receiving the promised $3-Billion investment, then Buick needs more help from Cadillac than just two engines. Buick will need Sigma. If Zeta is real, well, that’s where Buick’s $3-Billion will pay off.

The Lucerne is getting the 3.9L for '07 I think, although I personally feel it should get the 3.6L. The UV8 could then replace the Northstar.

I think the new tagline could work, espcially if the new Rendezvous replacement is as good as we've heard.

[post="33477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ugh, the 3900 better be mated to the new 6-speed. I dread to see the fuel economy numbers be as low as the Northstar (which has an excuse, it's an 8)

Happy B-Day Ven!! :)

Buick drops Aerosmith song
New tag line will stress engineering

By Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / October 24, 2005

LAS VEGAS - Buick is retiring the "Dream Up" marketing tag line it introduced barely a year ago to appeal to younger, wealthier buyers, according to dealers.

Buick's new slogan is "Beyond Precision." Dealers say Buick's marketing general manager, Steve Shannon, announced the tag line at General Motors' 2005 Dealer Business Conference here last week.

Dealers say that the change will take effect in November or early December and that Buick will drop the Aerosmith song "Dream On" from its TV commercials. A Buick spokesman would not comment.

The new tag line is designed to convey the message that Buick exceeds customers' expectations through precision engineering, says John Pitre, general manager of Motor City Buick-Pontiac-GMCin Bakersfield, Calif.

"'Dream Up' was a perception-changing campaign," Pitre says.

Adds Dana Tidwell, sales manager at John Rogin Buick in Livonia, Mich.: "The reason they're doing this is to show that Buick is going one step further and giving (buyers) a little more than what they're asking for."

Dealers say Buick executives showed them a rough cut of a new "Beyond Precision" TV spot. Tidwell says it has "a Cirque du Soleil feel."

Pitre says the spot shows a Buick Lucerne in a hangar. Lights shine on the car from every side. The car barrels toward the viewer and speeds away.

The commercial's narration emphasizes that Buick is concerned with maintaining engineering and design tolerances on the car as close as 0.5 millimeter.

More: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54995

[post="33154"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

"Beyond Precision?" YUCK!

<_<

CRIMINY!

What was EVER wrong with "Premium American Motorcars?" That was probably the BEST tagline that they EVER had.....

B)

I was ALSO pissed when Mercedes-Benz stopped using the tagline "Engineered Like No Other Car in the World." (Even if the quality has sucked as of late.)

One thing's for sure.....you'll NEVER see BMW abandon "Ultimate Driving Machine." Edited by The O.C.

I don't think anyone should be upset because they consider Buick head to head with Acura rather than Lexus because Buick isn't Lexus priced and it won't be. Buick starts off in the $20k range and no 'tier 1' luxury brand starts there. The lowest Lexus goes is about $30k, the highest Buick goes is $40k, and for cars (as opposed to trucks) it's even less- $36k. I DO know that Buick is going to give Lexus, Acura, whoever else competing in the range a better battle than it was giving before. The simple fact is the LaCrosse and the Lucerne are much better cars than the Regal and the LeSabre and even the Park Avenue in some respects. Buick needs improvement- more powerful engines, 5 and 6 speed transmissions, perhaps a little more unique styling... but aside from those 3 things that everyone constantly complains about Buick makes quality vehicles for the price. And maybe the LaCrosse isn't a Chrysler 300 in styling but it doesn't mean that it isn't a more reliable, higher quality car. No one can take away the fact that year after year Buick tops almost every company in reliability and initial quality. Every year. You sacrifice those things hopping to 6 speed transmissions and 400 horsepower engines, and throwing out untested parts. Buick has things to work on- but nobody ever complains that all the other companies cant compete with Buick in the areas it excels at- because being a car-fan site nobody cares about whats most important to people about vehicles- and thats reliability and quality. You might want a 6 speed auto in a relatively new and untested engine with crazy styling so everyone who cares about cars can crap their pants- and don't get me wrong- I'd love a Buick with some more sport and I believe they can do it too without messing with their reliability... but most people when they look for cars- unless they are wealthy- care very much about reliability and initial quality- if Buick loses that- they lose the only thing they really got. Give Buick a break- they're the company that doesn't have the problems almost every other "exciting" company has.

The ONLY reason why I think the 3800's time has come is because it's no longer powerful enough in un-SC form to be an adequate entry level engine for Buick.

[post="33411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. I'm prettty sure the 3800 has the potential to make 280 or so HP in NA form wiht just a thorough overhaul. Hae the LS-engine engineers do a re-work of the heads, exhaust system & intake and it should be ther no problem. Plus... torque numbers are always impressive on the 3800 even when HP is not.

If Buick needs a 200 hp entry level sedan, then Buick needs to offer a small 4-cyl 200 hp sedan. A 21st century Skylark-like compact, perhaps.

Yes... Kappa is the way to go if you ask me... a modern Skylark compact coupe & sedan.

Buick will need Sigma. If Zeta is real, well, that’s where Buick’s $3-Billion will pay off.

I hope so.

Even still the Buick turnaround seems to be moving at a snails pace compared to other GM divisions.

[post="33823"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As long as the turn around is accomplished successfully. Buick doesn't want to make the same mistakes that were made with Oldsmobile.

1) Buick has a transitional generation of sedans (LaCrosse/Lucerne)

2) New names, but the vehicles still offer qualities that current/traditional owners appreciate (such as mid-size to large dimensions, benchseats, focus still on comfort)

3) No price increase over last generation (the Intrigue and Aurora were both more expensive than the traditional Oldsmobiles they replaced... The LaCrosse and Lucerne are the same price of the Regal & LeSabre)

4) Buick's tri-shield logo was not replaced, but tastefully modernized/refreshed. (It's still recognizable unlike Oldsmobile's new rocket logo.)

5) Buick's brand name is found easily on all models.

6) Buick's warranty was increased for the entire brand instead of just on the most expensive vehicle (Like Oldsmobile's Aurora)

7) Buick's marketing as a premium/luxury brand is more cautious to allow potential buyers/first time buyers time to accept Buick

8) It seems a successful repositioniing starts with remodeling the least expensive vehicle and then proceed through the line-up from there. Oldsmobile's repositioning began with a very expensive flagship. Buick's will be completed with an expensive flagship (hopefully.)