Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

On the hunt for a Granny car

One of my helpers recently killed his Acura and I'm trying to help him find the ultimate "Granny car". Almost had an '88 Olds 88 today that only had 29k miles on it! While we were stuck in traffic on our way there, the guy sold the car! :hissyfit:

I was less than happy.

If you are local, and know of a car like this let me know.

Ugly and faded are just fine, as are garage "love taps" - we are just hunting cheap,bulletproof and low-miles.

Camino:

C'mon dude, B-body or FoMoCo panther all the way!

I wonder what happened to ex-brother-in-law #3's mother's car...she passed away at age 95 a couple years ago, she had a silver blue w/ dark blue interior '86ish Fleetwood Brougham...I recall riding in it back in 2000, it only had 25k miles then....

I wonder what happened to ex-brother-in-law #3's mother's car...she passed away at age 95 a couple years ago, she had a silver blue w/ dark blue interior '86ish Fleetwood Brougham...I recall riding in it back in 2000, it only had 25k miles then....

Exactly the sort of car we are hunting.

I am trying to keep him away from cars with carbs though.

Nothing wrong with a carb if it is set up and working properly. I have 2 such granny cars though niether one is for sale. Too bad. Good luck in your search.

An Iron Duke?

Over the years, the Tech IV engine has proved to be a reliable, if noisy, workhorse for owners--when not pushed to its limits. All Tech IV engines through 1990 are outfitted with fiber camshaft gears that mesh directly with a gear on the crankshaft (no timing chain). 1991-92 VIN R and U engines received a timing chain. The timing gear has a tendency to wear out around 100,000-130,000 miles when the engine is paired with the 3-speed THM125c transmission (as opposed to 5-speed transmissions in the S-10 pickups). When this occurs, the camshaft stops turning, causing an inconvenient breakdown; the engine will stop abruptly and fail to restart.

Unfortunately, replacing the gear requires removal of the camshaft, and hence, removal of the engine from the vehicle on front wheel drive cars. However, engine longevity can be increased by limiting freeway speeds to under 70 mph (110 km/h).

FWD = :(

"Granny cars" are supposed to have three things:

- stand up hood ornament

- big smooth V8

- snow tires on steel rims/wire hubcaps, bolted to a 3.73:1 rear live axle ;)

FWD = :(

"Granny cars" are supposed to have three things:

- stand up hood ornament

- big smooth V8

- snow tires on steel rims/wire hubcaps, bolted to a 3.73:1 rear live axle ;)

If I'm hunting one for myself, that's true. But in this case, condition and mileage were the driving forces we were looking for. That said, I was hoping for a B-body bargain - but none appeared quickly enough as this had to happen fast.

This car is so pristine it is absurd, the undercarriage is spotless. I tried to resist the car, but it made too much sense given the situation.

ughhh unfortuanatly, the grandma car ive been watching may have sold.... its a 1980 4 door malibu, with a 3.8 liter, a 3 speed auto and 2. something rears in the gear... since the guy claims he gets 20mpg Highway, i thought itd make an amazing daily driver..... guy wanted $1k, then $800, then $675, then $450... ive been calling him, but the ad is off of craigslist, and i passed by his block, and the car no longer sits in front of his house :(

i was hoping to daily drive the hell out of it, then drop a whole turbo buick drivetrain in :drool:

On our way to look at it, I executed a "passing power required" manuever on th turnpike to get around some slowpokes. After completing it, I looked over at my friend and said," If you get this car, NEVER try that in it!" :lol:

Really though, it runs and accelerates just fine.

• 4 months later...

That would be a good granny car/beater. And yes, a 1980s Malibu Classic with

the 229-cu.in. V6 could average 20 mpg. That's right about what O'Shea's old

Malibu averaged. (his was a 2-door 3.8 V6 & he later dropped in a 383 sbc V8)

After the V8 swap the car's MPGs dropped down a LOT which is why he sold it.

Exactly the sort of car we are hunting.

I am trying to keep him away from cars with carbs though.

It's that way with cars - "you snooze, you lose"

There was this chick I grew up with (who went to a girls' Catholic high school but I knew threw mutual friends) who wanted to get a great GM used car (they were an all Buick and Olds family, as were my folks) and I helped her find an awesome early 80's Olds with low miles (carburetion, though) and a low, low price. It was a dentist's wife's car.

I told her: "Buy it." She got cold feet and had to consult with "her Daddy" who knew less about cars than I do.

She then decided to go for it ---- already SOLD.

Edited by trinacriabob