Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New laptop...

I have been laptop hunting in addition to my Macbook which has 2GB of ram Duo Core Intel based Mac from work I want something for home in addition to my two older pc's. I have been thinking about a Lenevo Thinkpad T Series a buisness style notebook. I really don't need much stuff on it but I do want a widescreen and a high rpm hard drive. Also a Core 2 Duo is a must and would like about 2GHZ in that Core 2 Duo. In addition I have a very nice exteral HD (500 GB 1/2 Tera) where I have all my stuff so I don't need a huge hard drive 80gb or 100gb would do. Also I have an excellent dual layer DVD/CD burner that is external so I only need a DVD/CD-RW drive. I also need 2GB of ram I don't want a slow laptop. By the way no VISTA, I getting XP with the Service Pack 3. I will be running Microsoft Office 2007 Pro, and I taking the plunge and getting the Adobe CS3 Master Collection for it too. (Its like $2,500 yikes!) So here is what I built...

ThinkPad T61 with Integrated Graphics - 1 Year Depot Warranty

Description Part number Unit price* Quantity Price*

ThinkPad T61 with Integrated Graphics - 1 Year Depot Warranty

Edit 6480CTO $1,323.22 1 $1,323.22

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8100 (2.1GHz 800MHz 3MBL2) 1

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Business downgrade to Windows XP Professional 1

Operating System Language: Genuine Windows Vista Business downgrade to Windows XP Professional - US English 1

Display type: 14.1 WXGA TFT 1

System graphics: Intel GMA X3100 GM965 1

Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) 1

Keyboard: Keyboard US English 1

Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) 1

Hard drive: 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm 1

Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim 1

System expansion slots: PC Card Slot & Express Card Slot 1

Wireless card: ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ 1

Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN 1

Battery: 4 cell Li-Ion Battery 1

Power cord: Country Pack North America 1

Language Pack: Language Pack US English 1

Microsoft productivity software preload: Microsoft Office Professional 2007 - English 1

Additional Microsoft productivity software preload: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Eng excluding EU-EFTA 1

ThinkPad T61 14.1" widescreen with integrated graphics

Sale price: $1,323.22*

Total savings: $274.78

After rebate: *

Bill Me Later ®:

No Payments for 6 months

(orders $750+)

Subject to credit approval. Details >

Business lease:

$42.00/mo. for 36 mos.***

Availability:

Ships within 1-2 weeks**

In two years I plan to pass it on to my son or my daughter. Errr maybe pawn it. I prolly will look again for another Lenevo if I like this one. I think I will. They are said to be built like bricks.

Edited by gm4life

We use exclusively Thinkpads where I work, and yes they are build like bricks. My own personal T42 went down a flight of stairs and still works. I can highly recommend the T-series.

However, consider looking into the Lenovo IdeaPad as well. They are less expensive but built on the same chassis <think platform sharing>. They also have some neat built in features. Going over their specs it looks like you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Whichever you go with, buy the extended warranty from Lenovo. You don't have to buy it right away, just while it is still covered by the factory warranty. Lenovo is the only company I have dealt with in all my years of I.T. work that rivals Apple for the warranty support.

I bought a HP a year ago and got a 2 year extended warranty, but as is typical of extended warranties, now that I have it, nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.nothing has gone wrong with this computer since I got it.

Im not a big fan of Lenovo. There seems to always be a premium.

Why no Vista. Theres is almost no reason to not buy Vista, all the bad hype is all bull&#036;h&#33;. Vista is more secure. Vista does run more smoothly than XP, and crashes less. Ive had Vista for a year now and XP for since it came out. Yes Vista takes more specs (My Vista laptop runs idle at 1 GB of RAM.) And as far as graphics i think we all know there nice but they wont lag you down with that Intel GM965 integrated chipset... thats what i have. You cant do more things faster and easily with Vista. Sweet computer though, fast processor and definitely enough RAM for XP. Ive always wanted a 7200 rpm disk too. :D

My Laptop (Just thought id share)

HP Compaq Presario

17 in. 1440 by 900 Screen.

1.60 GHz Pentium Dual Core

Intel Integrated Graphics Intel GM965.

2 GB 667 MHz RAM

160 GB 5400 rpm disk

Vista Home Premium (A few simple tweaks with Vista, it runs great!)

3 USB, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11, S Video Out, SD Card Reader, DVD Drive (No Express Card Reader.. boo hoo)

599$

waiting for my dell XPS M1530 to ship

2.5ghz intel core 2

8600 gt graphics 256 mb

15.4 LED

4 gbs ram

320 GB HDD @7200 rpm

my favorite part 4 year warranty with complete care! Meaning i can tell them i stepped on my processor and they mail me a new one next day. Dell has amazing warranties. Or like we did with are work computer. the HDD went bad called them and told them the HDD caught on fire with in 2 weeks we got a brand new system.

Im not a big fan of Lenovo. There seems to always be a premium.

Why no Vista. Theres is almost no reason to not buy Vista, all the bad hype is all bull&#036;h&#33;. Vista is more secure. Vista does run more smoothly than XP, and crashes less. Ive had Vista for a year now and XP for since it came out. Yes Vista takes more specs (My Vista laptop runs idle at 1 GB of RAM.) And as far as graphics i think we all know there nice but they wont lag you down with that Intel GM965 integrated chipset... thats what i have. You cant do more things faster and easily with Vista. Sweet computer though, fast processor and definitely enough RAM for XP. Ive always wanted a 7200 rpm disk too. :D

My Laptop (Just thought id share)

HP Compaq Presario

17 in. 1440 by 900 Screen.

1.60 GHz Pentium Dual Core

Intel Integrated Graphics Intel GM965.

2 GB 667 MHz RAM

160 GB 5400 rpm disk

Vista Home Premium (A few simple tweaks with Vista, it runs great!)

3 USB, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11, S Video Out, SD Card Reader, DVD Drive (No Express Card Reader.. boo hoo)

599$

My HP laptop has about the same specs as yours. Vista has been fine with me. I upgraded to get the original discs with Vista and I paid for MS 1Care to be loaded. Even though Norton on my old computer was fine, I am suspicious about software companies deliberately sabotaging each other's programs so I went all Microsoft so there would be no doubt.

waiting for my dell XPS M1530 to ship

2.5ghz intel core 2

8600 gt graphics 256 mb

15.4 LED

4 gbs ram

320 GB HDD @7200 rpm

my favorite part 4 year warranty with complete care! Meaning i can tell them i stepped on my processor and they mail me a new one next day. Dell has amazing warranties. Or like we did with are work computer. the HDD went bad called them and told them the HDD caught on fire with in 2 weeks we got a brand new system.

:hissyfit:

Now I want one!

I was eyeballing a new gateway FX with 4Gbs of ram, 17.0 320 GB Hdd@ 7200 ( I think) 2.5 ghz Intel centrino- It was like 1300 bucks......

Nice! I really like Thinkpads. (Especially because my dad works for IBM and I get good deals through him.)

I'm planning on ordering Lenovo's new T-series when they bring out their new lineup next month with the new montevina chipsets.