C&G Census Results

Well, it took a week, and Camino and I are ready to gouge our eyes out with a melon baller, but the results of the C&G Census are in. Take a look at the numbers below and come to your own conclusion. One thing's for sure: each brand is not without its appeal in the GM hierarchy.

Buick

Total responses: 52

Total number of new Buicks purchased sine 1998: 24

Total number of people who have purchased new Buicks since 1998: 14

Number of people who will buy a new Buick within the next two years: 9

Number of people who will consider a new Buick within hte next two years: 10

Number of people who will not consider a new Buick: 31

---

Cadillac

Total responses: 49

Total number of new Cadillacs purchased since 1998: 26

Total number of people who bought new Cadillacs since 1998: 11

Number of people who plan to purchase a new Cadillac within the next two years: 7

Number of people who would consider a new Cadillac within the next two years: 18

Number of people who will not consider a new Cadillac: 20*

Note: A significant number of voters eliminated Cadillac fom consideration due to their financial situation, but expressed a desire to own one if money allowed.

---

Chevrolet

Total Responses - 53

Total number of new Chevrolets purchased since 1998: 63

Total number of people who purchased a new Chevrolet since 1998: 32

Number of people who are committed to purchasing a new Chevrolet within the next two years: 7

Number of people who would consider a new Chevrolet within the next two years: 24

Number of people who will not consider buying a Chevy within the next two years: 17

---

GMC

Total responses: 36

Total number of new GMCs bought since 1998: 16

Total number of people who have purchased new GMCs since 1998: 11

Number of people who will buy a new GMC within the next two years: 4

Number of people who will consider a new GMC within the next two years: 9

Number of people who will not consider a new GMC: 22

---

Hummer

Total responses: 34

Total number of new Hummers purchased since 1998: 0

Total number of people who have purchased a new Hummer since 1998: 0

Number of people who will buy a new Hummer: 1

Number of people who wil consider a new Hummer: 8

Number of people who will not consider a new Hummer: 21

Note: The majority of those who said they would consider a new Hummer had said their decision to buy a Hummer hinged on the availability of the Hx.

---

Pontiac

52 Members answered both questions.

Those members collectively purchased 55 new Pontiacs since the 1998 model year.

12 of those members intend to buy a new Pontiac in the next two model years.

31 more of those members would consider a new Pontiac in the next two model years.

9 members would not.

* Note* Those members who would consider a new Pontiac ranged from very enthusiastic to lukewarm at best. The 12 members intending to buy a new Pontiac in the next 2 model years were commited to the purchase. Some of the 9 "no" votes were adamant and some had no comment.

* Note also* The 55 new Pontiacs purchased by members since the 98 model year were purchased by just 25 of the 52 responding members.

---

Saab

Total responses: 33

Total number of new Saabs purchased since 1998: 9

Total number of people who have purchased new Saabs since 1998: 6

Number of people who will buy a new Saab within the next two years: 3

Number of people who will consider a new Saab within the next two years: 11

Number of people who will not consider a new Saab: 19

---

Saturn

Total responses: 38

Total Number of new Saturns purchased since 1998: 13

Total number of people who have purchased new Saturns since 1998: 7

Number of people who will buy a new Saturn within the next two years: 1

Number of people who wil consider a new Saturn within the next two years: 11

Number of people who will not consider a new Saturn: 26

Thanks to Z, these numbers are available to you today - I've been way too busy with Project Camino to help much. I just created the format for the results and did the Pontiac results as an example, the rest of the credit for compiling this goes to Z.

Thank you, Z!

It would have been a few more days if you waited for me. :thumbsup:

But I think today's update on Project Camino will be worth it, I'll be posting that shortly. :AH-HA_wink:

Interesting data, but a lot of gray areas for interpretation. If it were a true survey, the gray areas would not be counted as legitimate data. It would be interesting to see how things would stack up without the maybes. Thanks for taking the time putting this together for us and thanks to everybody who took the time to respond. It was a fun read.

Surprise surprise, Hummer is last. What does surprise me is just how close the Pontiac number of purchases are to Cheverolet, and how many more planned purchases there are for Pontiac.

I'm not surprised at all. Pontiac has more styling and flair than Chevy and always did. A car guy would buy a Pontiac whereas a guy needing a car would buy the Chevy.

I'm not surprised at all. Pontiac has more styling and flair than Chevy and always did. A car guy would buy a Pontiac whereas a guy needing a car would buy the Chevy.

I agree with you, but explain this one to me: Why is the Cavalier gender-neutral and the Sunfire 'feminine'?

Being I was away on a business trip and was too busy to check the site, I missed voting, but as such here is my input:

:D I own 3 cadillac's (04 SRX, 05 CTS, 06 ESV Platinum), 1 GMC 94 Suburban and a 09 H2 Hummer.

Yup, I have no interest in Pontiac, Buick or Saturn. Chevy might have a commuter car for my wife who is wanting a plug in.

Next purchase would be the Hummer Hx to go with the H2 I just bought.

As I have stated elswere on the site here, I see GMC as a luxury version of Chevy and so they might as well save money by just killing off the Buick and Pontiac name plates and keep it under the GMC plate. Keep Saturn for the people who want american but not any other GM name plate rather than purchasing a ricer car. Then you have the luxury end of Cadillac / Hummer which should only be sold as a group. There is a market for luxury 4x4 vehicles. Saab, not really sure what to do with this quirky line. Was a reason long ago, but I just do not really see any valid reason to keep it alive at least here in the US and I am sure it could be killed off elsewhere and replaced by something in one of the majore lines.

Very interesting survey of the people on this site, Clearly shows a mix.

Would be interesting to see who ownes what here and how many are truly a GM only Fan. I know a number of people here talk big about GM but have a Prius or Honda, etc. 8)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I think that I am a lot less likely to buy a GM car now than two and a half years ago.

Solstice is dead, the Astra tanked, the Cobalt SS/TC is dead..HHR SS is dead...

What they build that I really liked, they have stopped building.

Setting up a new census would be interesting, but it couldn't be an apples to apples comparison because of all of the dead brands. And you can't ignore them, so how would be best to set it up?

I see 2 options:

1) Add a question along the lines of "Has your preferred GM brand been discontinued and if so are you interested in Brand X?"

2) Have a heritage brand census, bundle together Saab, Saturn, Pontiac and Hummer, which allows you to compare sales if current brands to those of brands from the recent past. Instead of asking if a purchase from a heritage brand is planned, ask if a future GM purchase is a consideration.

Setting up a new census would be interesting, but it couldn't be an apples to apples comparison because of all of the dead brands. And you can't ignore them, so how would be best to set it up?

I see 2 options:

1) Add a question along the lines of "Has your preferred GM brand been discontinued and if so are you interested in Brand X?"

2) Have a heritage brand census, bundle together Saab, Saturn, Pontiac and Hummer, which allows you to compare sales if current brands to those of brands from the recent past. Instead of asking if a purchase from a heritage brand is planned, ask if a future GM purchase is a consideration.

That's not a bad start.

• Agree 1

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings