• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Challenger is pretty damn cool but the Camaro wipes the floor with

it in terms of proportions, overall styling and esp. the small details. The

Challenger's more chunky (vs. muscular) styling is not flattering to the

car's retro styling... the Camaro seems to be close to concept and that

was superior to the Challenger;s concept as well.

The YF-22 comparison rings true.

Showing you the production version perhaps somewhat early?

Yes, early but hardly a surprise. We've had a very good idea of the look for quite a while, but what this announcement promises is more specific information on equiptment and options and so forth. The "in the flesh" debut will still be in September in Indy.

Scheduled for the 21st:

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/

The Dealers get a live conference the following day.

Per GMnext blog......The production Camaro is unveiled to the public at the GM Tech Center in Warren MI @ 4:00pm Monday...

I am on it. Also in LA somewhere... same time

:camarosmile: http://www.gmnext.com/

Edited by mightymouse

Well the Camaro seems like a 4 year old car already and it's still not in the showrooms. Heck when was the Transformers? It looks nice from the rear but overall does not compare with the Challenger. I'm surprised they don't cancel it at this point. With CAFE and $4.00 a gallon gas ( and higher )........hey maybe thats the press conference. Or GM is Bankrupt. I hope it makes it through and would like to see Mustang, Challenger. Camaro racing again but who knows..

No they won't cancel. And yes it has been around for a few years but that didn't make the Solstice any less attractive. That is the kind of attitude that will make GM go under. And no GM isn't going bankrupt or at least not for the for-seeable future. GM is in a pretty good position with the new models coming down the pike, and we all have ring-side seats.

Will somebody in and around Detroit please rush a LIGHT BULB over to the Camaro announcement? Could they have shown me LESS of the interior by doing that in the darkest room possible? Where was the light on the camara?

I read the specs...bluetooth standard! YAY! FINALLY WE CATCH UP TO THE FOREIGN CARS IN THAT ASPECT!

I need to see more!!!

Good to see AFM confirmed for automatic cars, and to see the manuals as standard equiptment!

We need good pics now.

And, a full option list.

Nice to see standard 6 speed manuals for both the V6 and V8.

I was expecting better mpg numbers (26 for V6, 23 for V8). My SS is rated at 25 highway (under the new ratings), but gets almost 30 in real-world driving. Hopefully the new Camaros will do the same.

In regards to the trim levels, they list LS, LT and SS. What happened to the RS?

Nice to see standard 6 speed manuals for both the V6 and V8.

I was expecting better mpg numbers (26 for V6, 23 for V8). My SS is rated at 25 highway (under the new ratings), but gets almost 30 in real-world driving. Hopefully the new Camaros will do the same.

In regards to the trim levels, they list LS, LT and SS. What happened to the RS?

RS is a package that can be had on the SS and LT models:

RS Appearance Package available on LT and SS, with HID headlamps with integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels2

Edited by roadwarrior

RS is a package that can be had on the SS and LT models:

RS Appearance Package available on LT and SS, with HID headlamps with integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels2

Too bad the RS package doesn't have hidden headlights like the '67/68...that would look cool w/ the new car's grille, I think..

Too bad the RS package doesn't have hidden headlights like the '67/68...that would look cool w/ the new car's grille, I think..

That would be the cat's ass...

I really like the idea of a hidden headlight modern Camaro.

Didn't you hope on the Wieck and see them LS6? If you didn't go for it, mine are all downloaded, there are 42 2000X---- high quality photos to enjoy.

I saw them.

I am still expecting more shots and more colors shown in real pics. The "color selector" versions are so bad I don't see why GM even uses them. It is the same for every car they make, how hard is it to take real photos for this purpose?

Keep in mind that the HP numbers are not final.

GM for the last 5 years intro's a car at one HP and right before they hit the streets they find another 5-10 HP.

Also a GM Rep said the V6 would be just north of 300 HP.

Keep this in mind...

Camaro V6: 300 HP, 26 MPG hwy

Mustang V6: 210 HP, 26 MPG hwy

Challenger V6: 250 HP, 25-26 MPG hwy (est. because Charger gets 24 MPG hwy with same engine)

So up to 90 HP difference with comparable MPGs? Nice. :AH-HA_wink:

Also...

Camaro SS: 422 HP (when properly equipped)

Challenger SRT8: 425 HP

3 HP difference, ~200-300 lbs difference.. and that's only the SS. Can't wait to see if/when Dodge will up the ante on the SRT8 for the Z/28.

Holy cow... pictures don't do it justice! I just got back from the unveil and to see it in person and in natural lighting is phenomenal. If anyone is in the Detroit area, just head down to Main Street in Royal Oak and it'll be out in public for all to see.

very nice

looking at the specs pdf.... almost 8 qrts for the v6's oil?! no wonder people think you can go ~10K without changing it.

the L99 is a slight let down... -22hp :(

and the 3900+lbs for the SS auto.

otherwise, can't say it's a let down.

Holy cow... pictures don't do it justice! I just got back from the unveil and to see it in person and in natural lighting is phenomenal. If anyone is in the Detroit area, just head down to Main Street in Royal Oak and it'll be out in public for all to see.

This is one of those days that I wish I was in the Detroit area.

I would already be there gawking. :camarosmile:

BFD on the weight. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the Camaro has never been a "Sports Car".

Most properly it is a "Pony Car", less so a "Muscle Car".

And appropriately to the times it is a "Performance Car".

And that includes the fuel economy, check it out vs. a new Mustang or Challenger and then compare the horsepower stats. I'd say Camaro outperforms them quite nicely.

I hear the Camaro is up near 4000 pounds for the V8 model... I'll be surprised if the top of the line loaded Camaro isn't over 4000 pounds. As Agent Smith says, it was inevitable.

An SS is 3850lbs with a manual (I think the auto is like 10 pounds more?). 150lbs of options seems like a lot, no?

Wow, you guys already know what the specs for the 2010 Mustang will be. Your good.

The specs for the 2008/9 Mustang are better than the Camaro. I know they don't make the Camaro........... but that is just as dumb as using todays specs against the specs for a car that won't be out for another year or so.

However, I know you guys are excited.......... so I will cut you some slack.

SS auto is over 3900lbs. An auto weighs alot more than 10lbs more than a stick.

Edited by 01LightningGal

The 2010 Mustang could be a solid performer. The Ecoboost V6 is supposed to make around 340-350 hp, and a V6 Mustang is under 3400 pounds. That kind of power to weight ratio is going to run with the Camaro SS (Mustang will probably be faster), and Ford's 3.5 liter V6 is more efficient than GM's 3.6 liter.

Edited by smk4565

Wow, you guys already know what the specs for the 2010 Mustang will be. Your good.

The specs for the 2008/9 Mustang are better than the Camaro. I know they don't make the Camaro........... but that is just as dumb as using todays specs against the specs for a car that won't be out for another year or so.

However, I know you guys are excited.......... so I will cut you some slack.

SS auto is over 3900lbs. An auto weighs alot more than 10lbs more than a stick.

According to media.gm.com, the stick in the V6 model is only 9lbs less than the auto, but you are correct, the auto weighs a lot more than the stick in the V8 model. That seems sort of odd, but I guess it must be beefed up a lot vs. the V6 auto.

The weights seem off somehow... an LS auto is less than an LS manual, and perhaps LS and LT are switched on the spec sheet, because it says LS weighs more than LT?

As for the 2010 Mustang, I don't think there's many people that would be willing to bet money that it's weight won't increase by at least 100lbs.

Also on the weight subject, consider how much more advanced and complex the Camaro's chassis is than the Mustang's, that has to add some weight. Is the 2010 Mustang getting IRS?

The 2010 Mustang could be a solid performer. The Ecoboost V6 is supposed to make around 340-350 hp, and a V6 Mustang is under 3400 pounds. That kind of power to weight ratio is going to run with the Camaro SS (Mustang will probably be faster), and Ford's 3.5 liter V6 is more efficient than GM's 3.6 liter.

I don't see how a 340hp 3400lbs car would be faster than a 422hp 3850lbs car? Simple power to weight ratio there... Also, who says the Mustang isn't going to get heavy, as well? Especially if it gets IRS, the Mustang is going to add a considerable amount of weight.