Guest Josh

Posted ImagePosted Image

All-new design
* Youthful refinement inside and out
* Generous features typical of more expensive cars
* Smooth, confident and safe driving experience
* A key player in the global expansion of the Chevrolet brand

REDESIGNED 2007 CHEVROLET AVEO SEDAN OFFERS MORE THAN GREAT VALUE

LOS ANGELES – Chevrolet’s assault on the small vehicle market advances during the 2006 Greater Los Angeles Auto Show when the successor to Americas best-selling entry-level vehicle is unveiled the 2007 Aveo sedan. It boasts an all-new exterior and interior design characterized by youthful refinement, generous features usually seen in more expensive cars and a more confident, dynamic driving experience. Chevrolet introduces the redesigned Aveo only 2 ½ years after its launch and, once again, challenges expectations of what an entry-level car can deliver.

Customers will recognize the Aveo sedan as a smart buy that delivers on Chevys Total Value Promise, said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. With its good looks, enjoyable driving experience and big car personality, it is a great addition to Chevys new lineup of small vehicles.

The 2007 Aveo sedan will be available in LS and LT models starting in summer 2006, and will offer a range of value-driven options to suit a variety of lifestyles. In redesigning the leading entry-level car in the country, the Aveo team reached beyond the highly important affordability factor to broaden the cars strong value position. Chevy delves deeper into one of the world’s most popular automobile segments, just as value-conscious American buyers are increasingly discovering the virtues of small cars like the 2007 Aveo sedan.

Customers will also be pleased with unexpected features, such as a standard radio input jack for iPods and an array of options, ranging from a power sunroof and six-CD changer sound system, to steering-wheel mounted audio and cruise controls, said Peper.

The 2007 Aveo sedan complements a new selection of smaller vehicles available at Chevrolet showrooms, including the Cobalt premium small car - launched in late 2004 - and the HHR small crossover vehicle launched in July 2005. Their introductions underscore Chevys ongoing commitment to offering great value options in all vehicle segments.

Crisp, modern exterior design
The 2007 Aveo sedan is high in style and progressive in attitude. It is longer, wider and taller than its predecessor and features crisp, sculpted lines and a wide, confident stance. The design skillfully creates the illusion of a larger car through attributes such as contoured side feature lines that rise from front to rear, pronounced shoulders over the wheel openings and body-color door sills.

Aveos V-shaped hood lines point to its distinctively Chevy front fascia, which boasts a chrome-accented grille with prominent cross bar and iconic gold bowtie emblem. The Aveos new, more assertive and dynamic look is highlighted by premium cues, including three-dimensional, richly detailed headlamps that extend into the hood, available front fog lamps and bold, round taillamps, which are set within jeweled bezels.

Contributing to Aveos more aerodynamic design is the incorporation of the radio antenna into the rear glass. Extensive wind tunnel testing also helped reduce the coefficient of drag from 0.348 to a more slippery 0.326, compared to the previous model.

Customers can choose to further enhance the Aveos appearance with optional features not typically seen in the segment, including chrome door handles, a large power sunroof and dual, heated, power body-color foldaway outside mirrors.

Interior: refinement with a modern twist
The cabin of the new Aveo reflects a youthful interpretation of refinement. Its signature tall car design and generous dimension offer ample interior space capable of accommodating passengers more than 6 feet tall in each of the five seating positions. An enhanced combination of sound-dampening technologies and improved aerodynamics provides a quiet and comfortable ride, even at higher speeds.

The contemporary appearance of the 2007 Aveo sedans interior is achieved through integrated components, meticulous craftsmanship and complementary colors. Striking features, including a new, two-tone scheme, rich instrumentation, satin-chrome and carbon-fiber-style accents, wood-grain-style trim and perforated leatherette seating, provide visual and tactile interest. Precision in fit and finish details caps the Aveos high-quality appearance.

Aveos interior was designed for maximum comfort and convenience, which is evidenced in elements such as standard tilting front-seat headrests and a folding drivers armrest. Additional conveniences include dual visor vanity mirrors, door and seatback storage pockets and clever hooks, located on headrest posts, which can hold items such as backpacks or shopping bags.

Theater-style rear seating provides a commanding view for all passengers. A fully reclining front passenger seat and a 60/40-split folding rear seat expand Aveos interior cargo capacity, enabling long items, such as skis, to be carried between the trunk and passenger compartment. The trunk offers 12.4 cubic feet (350 liters) of storage space, which is more than the previous model.

More unexpected value is delivered through the tilt-adjustable steering wheel, six-way adjustable front seats (with lumbar adjustment), on-key (no separate fob) remote keyless entry features and available cruise control.

Aveo radios are derived from GMs new family of premium radio systems, which are distinguished by upscale appearance, simplicity of operation and range of features and capabilities. An auxiliary input jack for iPods and other devices is standard on all radios. The base radio is an AM/FM stereo with four speakers. A CD/MP3-capable ratio with six-speaker sound system is available, as is a six-disc in-dash CD changer radio. Steering wheel audio controls are available with the uplevel six-disc in-dash CD changer system.

Driving experience
‘Defying the stereotype of what a subcompact can deliver’
As a global car that will be sold in more than 140 countries, the 2007 Aveo sedan was engineered and validated for a broad range of driving and road conditions, but was tuned to suit the preferences of American customers. It was developed for a dynamic, well-planted driving experience and enhanced fuel efficiency. A wide stance and long wheelbase (97.6 inches / 2479 mm) deliver a smooth, confident ride.

Powering Aveos responsive driving experience is GMs proven a sophisticated 16-valve DOHC four-cylinder engine that produces an estimated 103 horsepower (76 kw)* and 107 lb.-ft. of torque (148 Nm)*. The engine is enhanced by a Variable Geometry Induction System, which helps maximize power across the rpm range. Electronic throttle control enhances drivability and fuel economy, while reducing emissions. With a smooth-shifting standard five-speed manual transmission, Aveo offers an estimated 35 mpg in highway driving.**

An available, fuel-saving Aisin four-speed automatic transmission features adaptive shift technology. The segment-exclusive Hold Control Mode special feature helps reduce wheel spin and traction loss on slick roads by allowing the driver to select and hold a higher gear, which reduces torque to the wheels.

Power-assisted, variable-rate rack-and-pinion steering is standard, with enhancements that compensate for external forces such as strong side winds. The steering gear is mounted on the front suspension cross member for precise action and stability. A revised front stabilizer bar supports an agile, fun-to-drive experience and driver confidence even in challenging circumstances, such as quick lane changes.

Safe and secure
Posted Image
The Aveo experience is enhanced by a comprehensive system of safety and security technologies designed to meet safety standards in markets around the globe. Aveos safety starts with a high-strength steel structure that creates a safety cage around the passenger compartment. The structure has been engineered to help maintain passenger compartment integrity and features tailor-welded blanks, a feature not typically found on vehicles in the segment.

The 2007 Aveo sedan also comes standard with advanced dual-stage frontal air bags and the GM Passenger Sensing System, as well as standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags that provide added head and thorax protection. The dual-stage frontal air bags deploy at different levels, depending on the severity of the crash.

The brake system on the Aveo sedan provides ventilated front discs and self-adjusting rear drums. A four-channel ABS system is available. The four-sensor one at each wheel system also incorporates electronic brake force distribution, which balances braking performance based on factors including road conditions and the weight of passengers and/or cargo. Additional Aveo safety and security features include:

* Front safety belt pretensioners with front-load limiters
* Height-adjustable shoulder belt anchors
* Lower Anchors and Top Tether for Children (LATCH) child seat attachment system in the rear seats
* Rear child safety door locks
* Emergency hatch release inside the trunk
* Fuel door lock with remote release feature
* Available engine immobilizer theft-deterrent system.

The 2007 Aveo sedan is expected to build upon the safety record of its predecessor and perform positively in future impact assessments. For the 2006 model, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) awarded Aveo a five-star rating in the frontal crash test for both the driver and front passenger.

Aveo and Chevrolets Global Expansion
In the United States, the Chevrolet Aveo became the best-selling car in its segment within months of its launch (including four-door and five-door models). Today, it holds a significant margin of leadership over its closest competitor and approximately 40 percent of the entry-level car segment. Currently, it has the second-highest segment share of any vehicle in any segment, and its sales are growing at a faster rate than the segment as a whole.

The Aveo lineup attracts the highest rate of first-time buyers of any GM vehicle, providing a great opportunity to earn these customers long-term loyalty. Like the small, premium-car Cobalt family and the HHR small crossover vehicle, Aveo also generates a high number of conquest sales. Seventy-five percent of Aveo sales represent plus business for GM. This achievement is the result of combined sales to first-time vehicle buyers, prior owners of non-GM vehicles and customers transitioning from the used to the new car market.

The Aveo is making inroads around the world, and will be sold in more than 140 countries, under several nameplates (primarily under the Chevrolet brand). It is the top-selling car produced by GM Daewoo in Korea (GMDAT). About half of vehicles produced by GMDAT are Chevrolet models. The number is steadily rising as the expertise and quality record of GMs Korean subsidiary and Chevys tradition of more than expected value increasingly resonate around the globe.

From January through October 2005, Chevrolet global sales increased by 189,030 units, for a total of 3,644,947 a growth of 5.5 percent. During the same period, Chevrolets global market share has increased from 6.6 to 6.74 percent, strengthening its position as the third-best selling brand in the world. In Europe , where Aveo is the top-selling Chevy model, Chevrolet sales have increased 18.4 percent (through October 2005). In Asia-Pacific, which is a strong and rapidly growing market for GM, Chevrolet sales improved 134 percent, while year-over-year sales in the Latin America , Africa and Middle East region jumped 17.8 percent.

This represents 5.5 percent growth over 2004. Similarly, Chevrolets global market share increased from 6.6 percent to 7.4 percent, strengthening its position as the third-best selling brand in the world.

The 2007 Aveo sedan is expected to continue supporting the acceleration of Chevrolets global momentum.

Posted Image

* A new voluntary power and torque certification procedure developed by the SAE Engine Test Code committee was approved March 31, 2005 . This procedure (J2723) ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque by allowing manufacturers to certify their engines through third-party witness testing. GM was the first auto manufacturer to begin using the procedure and expects to use it for all newly rated engines in the future.

** Based on GM testing. Official EPA estimates not yet available.

Dave has the entire specs, stats, and whatever else you might need over at MPH. Be sure to head over there for all of your image needs.

2006 Los Angeles Auto Show: 2007 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan From MPH-Online

The interior looks much better in the black/silver combination. This beats the new Rio handily, though the lack of an updated 5door might hurt it against the Yaris. When is the hatch getting a redesign anyway?

Here's a bigger pic of the interior:

Posted Image

I would think the hatch would be seen sometime in this auto show season. if not chicago, new york etc. the interior of the last aveo wasnt' bad for the price and the new GM bin parts are just another step up. The mpg last time wasn't great either. don't get that with such a underpowered and light vehicle.

Geuss I'd have to see the old and new side by side but this one looks like a '06 with a facelift?? To "Echo-esk" on the exterior with the tiny wheels and fenderwells. I know smaller wheels are more efficient fuel milage wise but they should'be gone bigger. Interior looks nice for the pricerange, but wonder how back that dash will be a knee banger for taller people.

Still, the curtains help shield occupants from glass better. Also, now I might be wrong here, I heard side airbags only deploy on the opposite side of the impact...i.e. If you're T-boned on the driver's side the airbags deploy on the passenger side. That negates the head protection offered by the curtains in the event of a car-SUV T-bone collision. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

A nice looking car.Really like the front end and the interior. I still don't understand why it can't get better fuel economy than a V-6 Malibu though.

[post="60749"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unless someone really prefers the handling of a small car, I don't know why anyone would pick this over a two year old used Impala. The fuel economy is awful for such a small car.

Still, the curtains help shield occupants from glass better.  Also, now I might be wrong here, I heard side airbags only deploy on the opposite side of the impact...i.e.  If you're T-boned on the driver's side the airbags deploy on the passenger side.  That negates the head protection offered by the curtains in the event of a car-SUV T-bone collision.  Correct me if I'm wrong though...

[post="60758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Curtains are the wave of the future for different reasons but it has little to do with glass. The curtain and or seat bag with head protection will be up and deployed prior to significant intrusion. Assuming there is a relevant "delta v" or change in velocity, the side bags should deploy on average about 10-15ms into the event. This assumes a b pillar impact.

The side bags deploy, nearside, or on the side of impact.

Not bad looking, save for the sketchy front end-a bit too square looking, IMO. Nice to see they gained a little cargo space-it was still pretty good, but now its even better. I figured that a Base below LS would be offered, but I can see why the SVM got dumped-hopefully ABS will be optional on LS (and standard on LT, though it would be better if it were standard on all models), and its too bad a CD player isn't standard on the LS. Otherwise, it looks like another winner-thanks for posting!

Looks pretty good, but I'm kinda bothered by one thing - why doesn't it get better fuel economy? The drivetrain design is, what, 15 years newer than that of my s-series. The car is about the same weight, about the same power, and gets 5 mpg highway less? The best explaination I've heard for this is aerodynamics, since the Aveo looks taller than the s-series, but still - 15 years should give some mpg improvement... Another Q, though - are the HP ratings now wheel HP ratings? I know they changed something about how HP was measured several years ago, and haven't quite understood what changed. If the 103 hp stated is at the wheels, then it does have more power than my sohc s-series, and is just under the power of a dohc s-series, and at about the same economy as the dohc s-series. Add in the aerodynamics difference and it all makes sense. Still dissapointing not to have a bit of a mpg advantage from the overall equasion, but understandable.

Some quotes from the Yaris thread (did this before and got yelled at for it so I thought I'd do it again):

What I wonder is whether the magazines will rip on the fact that the base car comes with rear DRUM brakes...

any car in this segment should have a 5 speed auto.

Jeez, it only has a four speed automatic?  And it's a 2007 model?  How cheap is that.  I'd never buy one just for that reason.

In all seriousness, though, this is a very competitive entry in the class and should continue as America's best-selling entry-level car. Yes, the fuel economy isn't class-leading, the plood (I understand now) looks like the peel-and-stick graphics you'd put on a model car (though it does nicely update the interior), curtain-style side-impact airbags are not offered and the hatchback/wagon/liftback version isn't being updated and released along with the sedan (would be a good idea in my book), it looks great, has a nice interior and hopefully is priced right. I think GM hit the ball out of the park with this one.

The interior looks very toyota-ish which is very good! Even in black it looks amazing. This will definately hold back the Yaris because it doesn't have that funky exterior or interior styling. The radio in the car is nice too. It's a little different then the new GM radio in terms of set-up but it's still looking very high quality. The hatch will probably be awesome and GM would be wise to bring the 3 door version here as well. It's official! GM buying Daewoo was one of the best decisions the company has ever made!!! Edited by Cadillacfan85

Would you rather have them just stop building it and lose more sales to Toyota, Honda, Kia, and Hyundai? I think if you look at the competition, this car is the most attractive in it's class. Lutz shouldn't retire. He should be rewarded for trying to make GM competitive again. Why is it wrong for a company to build a car for a person who isn't as fortunate as you? I don't know you but from that statement alone, it sounds like you need to take a look at the world around you and see that not everyone can afford a cobalt or a corolla. Or that some people who can afford one prefer having a small car because they live in a city with limited parking, etc. Remember: When a car is really cheap but has a lot to offer, young people will always buy it. It's not always about style.

Interior looks just like the new Camry, for $10K less. I just might be tempted but would prefer Holden renamed it Gemini instead of Barina.

[post="60735"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm sure it doesn't feel as soft on your face if you want to take a nap on it or something and therefore will be dismissed.

Over all I'm very impressed. It's an attractive looking car that appears to be high quality. The fuel mileage does need to improve though, and I'm sure we'll get all sorts of bad PR saying "Isn't the very purpose of this car to save fuel?!?!"

It'll be interesting to see what everyone says, but, IMHO the Chevrolet sedans are getting better by the day.

The new Aveo is a compelling little car. The new interior is dramatically improved, and I beleive, more than anyone can ask for in this class. It even has a better design and overall better materials than the Cobalt. GM, can we fast track the refreshed interior on that one? It's ecterior design is now fresh again, and the interior design gives nothing to the smartly designed and unique Yaris. The only issue I have is with the feul mpg numbers.

Some quotes from the Yaris thread (did this before and got yelled at for it so I thought I'd do it again):

You're such a dick. :P

any car in this segment should have a 5 speed auto.

Jeez, it only has a four speed automatic?  And it's a 2007 model?  How cheap is that.  I'd never buy one just for that reason.

[post="60821"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But seriously, I hope you know those two quotes I included are sarcastic.

<_<  This is Fuggly, Lutz needs to retire, I do not see this selling to the youth, but only those to poor to afford a better looking car.

[post="60841"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I totally disagree. This is a good looking car, in and out. I'd by this in a heartbeat before an Accent or Echo (even worse). The Aveo looks like a small car, not a small pokemon. If you want some racy, hot hatch, look to the Vibe.

I have to admit, compared to the current Aveo, this thing looks damn good. The mpg ratings can be understood since the car is a bit underpowered, but otherwise makes up for those shortcomings with the style and options it has. BTW, drum brakes aren't a bad thing, they still stop you and remember not too long ago, almost everything had drum brakes on the tail of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest YellowJacket894
Hmmm... Tahoe-Esque Grille + Shrunken G6 Meets Camry-Esque Interior + Shrunken Cobalt-Esque Profile+ Fusion-Esque Talights = New Chevy Aveo Yeah. That sums it up. Anyhow, it is a very, very nice car for the price. But, hey, a blind guy could tell that.

I'm really hoping that this is another example of a new/refreshened GM vehicle where the powertrain improvements are coming a year later. Frankly, for the weight of the vehicle, the size of the engine, and the paulty hp numbers, this vehicle should be pushing 40mpg -- not anything less. I get 36+mpg out of my 145hp 2.2l Malibu -- which weighs around 3200lbs. The Aveo really needs a mpg bump. The rest of the car looks fantastic -- arguably "best in class" material.

I get a combined 34 mpg from my Opel Corsa 1.4 L Family 1, and the new Family 0 TwinPort does even better. GM Daewoo's next step is 6-speed autos to replace the current 4-speed ZF units built under licence. Like the rest of GM most will never offer a 5-speed auto. Europe will probably get the new 1.5 L GM/VM Motori diesel (essentially a new version of the unit Mercedes uses in the A-class), but GM Daewoo also needs to adopt GM Powertrain Europe's range of new-generatioin Family 0 and Family 1 engines.

<_<  This is Fuggly, Lutz needs to retire, I do not see this selling to the youth, but only those to poor to afford a better looking car.

[post="60841"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

"Youth" ends up getting used cars anyway. And most are looking for cheap transportaion, not sports cars. Not all "youth" buyers are male car nuts.

• 1 month later...
I must say,when i sat in an '07 Aveo at a car show that was going on near me,i was pleasently surprised.Let me make one thing clear, i am no small person in an sense(6'0ft.+ and more than 300 lbs.),i felt vey comfortable in it.it passed my expectations so much that when the new body stlye comes out,i will most likely be getting one.