Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

* Thoroughly modern interpretation of the classic sport coupe

* Dramatic design, responsive performance

DETROIT – Combining dramatic design and exciting performance, the Chevrolet Camaro Concept recaptures the spirit of one of the most popular sport coupes of all time and redefines the Camaro for new generations of fans.

The Camaro Concept embodies the performance and passion that have made first-generation Camaros some of the most sought-after collector cars, updating the formula with a fuel-efficient powertrain, sophisticated chassis and contemporary design execution. The goal is to make the sport coupe relevant to younger enthusiasts while retaining its appeal to its current fans.

“Millions of people of all ages fell in love with the Camaro for all of the right reasons,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president, global design. “Camaros were beautiful to look at and offered performance that could rival expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new car buyers.”

Though only a show car at this point, the Camaro Concept is intended to explore customer reaction to design and engineering elements that might lead to an all-new version of the Camaro.

The long hood, short deck and wide stance of the Camaro Concept leave no doubt that it is a serious performance car. Those looks are backed up by a 400-horsepower aluminum small-bock V-8, a six-speed manual transmission, and a sophisticated chassis with four-wheel independent suspension.

Like its forebears, the Camaro Concept would be practical enough for everyday use. It features fuel-saving features like Active Fuel Management™ cylinder deactivation technology, yielding highway fuel economy of 30 mpg or better. Its overall size is a comfortable fit for city streets and suburban parking lots, and its back seat provides occasional seating for two adults.

Lean, muscular design

Because of Camaro’s powerful heritage, the GM Design team chose a theme that pays homage to the original Camaro, while being instantly recognizable as an all-new car.

Said Bob Boniface, director of the Warren Advanced Design Studio, “The fact that the Camaro has been out of production for a number of years made it particularly important that the Camaro Concept honors the Camaro heritage in the right way.”

The 1969 Camaro, considered by many to be the best first-generation design, was a significant inspiration. But as GM design teams in Warren, Mich., worked on alternatives for the Camaro Concept, they also turned to the latest Corvette and to aircraft like the YF-22, seeking a design that encompasses the spirit that made the 1969 Camaro great, but interprets that spirit in a fresh, exciting way.

“The overall proportions, long hood and powerful fender forms say, ‘This is a front-engine, rear-wheel drive performance vehicle,’ ” said Tom Peters, design director, rear-wheel drive performance cars. The prominent front grille and hood bulge hint at the power of the Corvette-inspired V-8 engine. Large wheels and tires, exposed high-performance brakes and prominent fender shapes signal that the Camaro Concept has the handling and braking to go with the powertrain.

The cockpit of the Camaro nestles between sharply defined fender forms, a design element inspired by fighter planes and the new Corvette. And like any high-performance vehicle, the clean, purposeful design is integral to the aesthetic. “The Camaro Concept isn’t just a styled shape,” said Peters. “The design incorporates what the vehicle needs to perform to its optimum level.”

The same purposeful design is reflected in the interior of the Camaro Concept. The gauges and splash of orange trim hint at classic first-generation Camaros, but the overall design and execution reflect the no-nonsense functionality that drivers expect from a high-performance Chevrolet sports car.

Performance for the real world

The Camaro Concept features the latest generation of GM’s legendary small-block V-8. The 6.0-liter LS2 engine features an aluminum block and heads for light weight, and Active Fuel Management™, which shuts off four cylinders to save fuel when the engine is lightly loaded. This concept version of the LS2 is rated at 400 horsepower, yet it could also deliver more than 30 mpg at highway speeds.

The Camaro Concept’s six-speed manual transmission provides a wide spread of ratios for aggressive acceleration off the line, confident passing and merging and efficient highway cruising.

Modern sports cars are about more than just straight-line speed, so the Camaro Concept features a sophisticated rear-wheel drive chassis. Its independent front and rear suspension features progressive-rate springs and gas-pressurized dampers. Four-wheel vented disc brakes with 14-inch rotors provide confident stopping under all conditions.

Enhancing both the performance and appearance of the Camaro Concept are unique five-spoke cast alloy wheels, 21 inches in the front and 22 inches in the rear.

An American icon

Designed in the mid-1960s, the first-generation Camaro captured the optimism of an era. The Baby Boomers were in their teens, rock-and-roll and Motown ruled the airwaves, and American culture was sweeping the globe.

Like the Impala, Chevelle and Sting Ray, the new Camaro showcased Chevy’s strength of bringing stylish, high-quality cars to a mainstream audience. Its dramatic proportions and graceful lines recalled both the Corvette and the Italian Gran Turismo cars of the era. And its powertrain lineup, which soon included both the potent Z-28 small block and big block 396s and 427s, gave the Camaro the performance to go with its looks.

But what really made the Camaro an American icon was that it was accessible to millions. Chevy sold more than 699,000 Camaros in its first three years. So for every Z-28 taking the checkered flag at the track, there were thousands of less exotic Camaros cruising the drive-ins, picking up the groceries, or taking the family on vacation.

“The Camaro Concept is designed to have that same broad appeal, with unmistakable style, spirit and performance,” said Welburn.

Vehicle type: two-door, four-passenger rear-wheel drive sport coupe

Wheelbase (in / mm): 110.5 / 2806

Length (in / mm): 186.2 / 4730

Width (in / mm): 79.6 / 2022

Height (in / mm): 53 / 1344

Track (in / mm): 63.8 / 1620 front; 63.3 / 1607 rear

Engine: 6.0-L V-8 LS-2, 400 hp / 298 kw, with Active Fuel Management™

Transmission: six-speed manual T56

Suspension: four-wheel independent: MacPherson strut front, multilink rear, progressive rate coil springs, gas-pressurized dampers

Brakes: four-wheel disc, 14” rotors with four-piston calipers

Wheels: cast aluminum, 21” front, 22” rear

Tires: 275/30R21 front, 305/30R22 rear

Chevy Performance Vehicles - Camaro Concept Chevrolet

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst interior on a concept ever! We waited so long for this? No wonder they hid the pictures!!!!

the overall design and execution reflect the no-nonsense functionality that drivers expect from a high-performance Chevrolet sports car.

I have seen reflector bulbs on a Christmas tree that had more "no-nonsense functionality" than these silly guages. Also, what is up with the radio and those weird lights behind the shifter?

I do like the seats and overall flow of the dash but come on! There isn't a thing on the dash that I hope makes it into the production model. Can you imagine that dash in cheap chevy plastic with spray on orange metallic paint, and tach & speedodometer glaring in your face?

Edited by SoCalCTS

Leave it to GM to do retro right. All four generations of Camaros had their say in this design. And yet, the car doesn't look old, instead, it almost looks futuristic. Oh, and it's gorgeous.

Thank you GM. Thank you Bob Lutz. Thank you Scott Settlemire. You've just made my next car purchase that much easier.

i really like this car, i have a feeling it will be rolling down an assembly line within two or three years.. this thing will be the next solstice!! especially if they offer a V6 version and price it about 20-22 grand.. i dont think selling atleast 75,000 a year would be out of the question, one of them will be going to me!! im thinking the base camaro would be powered by the 3.9L V6 from the impala.. midlevel cars would have a 5.3L V8 worth about 320 hp.. and the top model would have the 6.0L V8.. i like the interior but my question is there room for an airbag in that steering wheel???

I am at a loss for words...this is quite possibly the single, most important step GM can take on its way to back to the top. It's body lines, powertrain, interior are all beautiful and well designed. The interior (although some say is ugly) captures the true essence of American muscle. I cannot wait to see if is the concept springboards to an actual production model. It is time to start saving my pennies because when the Camaro hits showroom floors, I will definitely be buying one.

Edited by camaro

Like it best from the side or rear. Just a bit too chunky looking--needs to slim down a bit, IMO. Plus I can't stand oversized rims. 17-18's are fine by me.

I see some 1969 in the interior too--the guages on the shifter console. Otherwise it is a show car interior and will look good for production,

Did anyone notice the width? 79.5"!!! Thats alomost as wide as a Hummer H2

Thats got to go down! I think a third gen was 72" (maybe 74")

But its growing on me.

So trim down the dimensions (a little bigger windows too) a bit and offer a midlevel RS V8 and I'll buy.

Edited by avro206

Ah finally pics of the interior! Very tastefully done, may be a bit too retro but very nice. Dash and gauges are deffinatly based off the '67-'68 interior. Pretty obvious that there will be a decent amount of small changes if it becomes a production model.

Edited by BuddyP

I really like the exterior, though I think I'd prefer the interior to be a bit less retro in production. I like how the seat belts are mounted to the seats to keep the "pillarless" look.

Does anyone else see more "Knight Rider" in that front air intake than Z06?

I like how the seat belts are mounted to the seats to keep the "pillarless" look.

I noticed the belt as well. While I'm sure the interior will be toned down, I hope that the seat mounted belts make production. It also makes it much easier to get people (my son, specifically) in and out of the back seat :)

Looks great-for those thinking the long wheelbase increased passenger room-it looks like it all went ahead of the doors-but still, wow!

Worst interior on a concept ever! We waited so long for this? No wonder they hid the pictures!!!!

I have seen reflector bulbs on a Christmas tree that had more "no-nonsense functionality" than these silly guages. Also, what is up with the radio and those weird lights behind the shifter?

I do like the seats and overall flow of the dash but come on! There isn't a thing on the dash that I hope makes it into the production model. Can you imagine that dash in cheap chevy plastic with spray on orange metallic paint, and tach & speedodometer glaring in your face?

I agree 100%. This interior is $h!.

January 9th 2006 will go down as one of the greatest days of automotive history.

Never before has there been so much emotion & faith invested in a car that was for all intents and purposes, not supposed to exist. I think it's safe to say that about 10,000,000 people around the counrty are walking around wiht a smile plastered to theri face today.

God it is a glorious day.... put this in the Anti-drug thread.

:D x 1,000,000

Hurry back Camino, we all miss you too. You get mentiojned at least once a week by me alone. Hope al is well with the Hawk & Goat.

I noticed the belt as well.  While I'm sure the interior will be toned down, I hope that the seat mounted belts make production.  It also makes it much easier to get people (my son, specifically) in and out of the back seat :)

Tahoes subrubans and silverados already have them mounted to the seats... so you can bet its gonna stay...

One more thing. Welcome back Camino. You were missed, my friend!

Hold your horses....it's not back yet bud....

You'll have to wait until 2009......WTF?

This concept is BEAUTIFUL.......but GM needs it NOW. By 2009, what will Mustang be like? How long will Challenger have been out? A whole model year?

It's going to be like Solstice all over again.......(by the time the production Solstice came out after the original concept, Mazda has introduced another generation MX-5 that can easily stand with it toe-to-toe and even beat it in some areas.....)

I would have hoped to see a concept Camaro in Detroit with the production version shown at NAIAS in '07 and hitting the market in Spring of '07. That would have given us only about a year to drool all over it.....