Truckin Camino

Welcome to my "workhorses" thread. It's going to be a long one and won't all happen today.

This is "Bumpy" my 79 GMC High Sierra 2500. I owned this truck longer than any other vehicle ever. It was always rough and rode the same way. It changed alot over the years - most of the sheetmetal you see went to the scrapyard long ago.

post-394-1141922323_thumb.jpg

post-394-1141922605_thumb.jpg

post-394-1141922813_thumb.jpg

This '88 Chevy K1500 was a cool little truck. It had a 5.7 EFI with an excellent 5 spd. manual trans. , only complaint was a spongy brake pedal.

My kind of ride!!! :D

Old GM trucks are so awesome. They just give their owners the feeling that "everything is going to be OK".

Keep the pics comin' Camino. I'm liking what I see so far B)

When I was yougner my dad ownend a brown 305 scottesdale i think an 82 or 83 and when i was behind the wheel man, there was tire smoke and pissed off people. Sad though that i won aganist a hoped up Iroc-z the guy didnt talk to me for 2 years lol. I liked those old school clutches. It had the normal Sponge brake but a weekend of blood, sweat, and brake fluid fixed that.

God, I remember when the new 88s first came out. I saw my first one face-on in Elkton, MD at the Chevy dealer there. It was a base model with single headlights, and I remember thinking it looked like a Ford from that angle (kill me now). And they looked so small.

Camino, I see you took off your "4X4" decals, like so many other people did back then. I took them off my '89. It does look cleaner that way. Sometimes I think Chevy decided to put those on there because they sat so low, no one would know it was a 4X4 otherwise.

Only thing I really didn't like about the 88s was the instrument cluster, with those rotating circles, they were really unreadable in certain light situations. They soon changed that.

You're right, that is a handsome little truck. Shortbed regular cabs are my favorite fullsize truck bodystyle.

Edited by ocnblu

All true OCN - I have taken those damn ugly stickers off of every truck I've had that came with them. And I remember thinking that I needed to get an '87 because the new 88s seemed less tough. All of that changed when I first drove one, I think that the 88 Chevy was the most revolutionary truck ever introduced. I began a design frenzy for all of the big 3 that continues to this day. You can see the influence of GMT400 in all current trucks.

This is my '78 C30 Dump truck. It doesn't look like a '78 because I replaced the cab and nose with '81-87 sheetmetal. The original cab had patches on its patches and was unsaveable. Building it was a major project which I once had pics of ( pics disappeared a while back). The truck was painted to match the 1990 K3500 I had at the time.

Edit: The truck was a 454 with a 4spd.

post-394-1142175634_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142175869_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142176105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camino LS6

This is "Swamp Thing" my '83 K1500 Silverado. When I bought it it had mud jammed way up inside the fenders and everywhere underneath - thus the name.

"Swamp Thing" had a 305 w/ 4spd. and came with the cap you see on "Bumpy" above. I was in the process of doing the body to match the Dump truck and ran out of time, so I put it back together and put it to work. I was planning to swap in a 350 when the 305 died, but that little engine just wouldn't die! I sold the truck to a friend , who sold it to a friend, who sold it to some local guy who drove it for a few more years and then parked it. The truck sat there for a few more years until it disappeared.

post-394-1142179414_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142179753_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142179898_thumb.jpg

This is my '84 Chevy C20, a truck I REALLY wish I still had. It was factory equipped with a 454,TH400 trans, dual exhaust without cats, and A/C. It had carpet delete and no extras except for an A/C converter which you could plug tools into! When I got it, it had been abused. It was dented all over and full of trash with a broken windsheild but it ran great. I put new GM fenders and doors on it and had the cab painted the original midnight blue. The bed was too dented up to use for such a nice truck but not rusty. So , I used it on "Bumpy" which you can see in the background. I had to sell this truck before I had a chance to finish it when I was forced to move - broke my heart.

post-394-1142182235_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142182662_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142182892_thumb.jpg

This is my '91 Mazda B2600i. My friend bought this truck new, but failed to buy collision insurance :duh: . He then forgot to put it in 4WD one snowy morning and proceeded to crash it into his neighbor's garage. I bought the truck and fixed it. Then, I was asked to be in a friend's wedding in CA. I needed to raise cash fast, so I traded the still nearly new Mazda in for some cash and 2 other cars. One of them was the Toronado you have already seen and the other was a Mustang I'll post later.

post-394-1142193539_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142193806_thumb.jpg

post-394-1142194122_thumb.jpg