NYIAS: Pontiac G6 GXP Coupe Show Car

Seeking to build on the 25-percent retail sales gain by the G6 so far this year, Pontiac is revealing a new G6 GXP coupe show car at the upcoming New York International Auto Show. Designed to augment the G6’s sleek styling with a more aggressive appearance and stance, the new GXP show car will test both media and public reaction before any final decision on production is made. “Although the GXP performance series has been very successful in the past, we’ve never attempted to introduce a GXP on our largest volume vehicle and we want to be sure we do it right,” said Dennis Maraone, Pontiac product director. “We believe the package of exterior, interior and performance enhancements we’ve put together on the G6 GXP show car should appeal to 2+2 coupe enthusiasts.”

Highlighting the exterior styling changes is a redesigned front fascia, featuring an integrated lower air dam and an aggressive chrome treatment of Pontiac’s signature twin-port grille, as well as a twin air scoop hood. Around back, the new rear fascia shows off the dual chrome-tipped exhaust and unique “hammerhead” spoiler. Side rocker panels, 19-inch wheels, vented cross-drilled brake rotors, and a 25-mm reduction in suspension height finish off the GXP’s ground-hugging appearance.

Inside, red accents give the GXP a sportier flavor than a standard G6. The red chrome trim on the instrument cluster, center stack and door controls augments the red leather seat and door panel inserts.

Under the hood, the G6 GXP uses a modified 3.9-liter V-6 engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Linking a ram air induction system with K&N air filter to a cat-back free flowing exhaust helps boost engine output to 270 horsepower (202 kw) and 259 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm).

The GXP performance series was introduced in 2003 with the Bonneville GXP. The Grand Prix GXP joined the line in 2005 and currently accounts for 30 percent of all Grand Prix retail sales. The Solstice GXP launches this fall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like the red chrome, but really dislike the red leather seat inserts (from what I can see, they're too bright) and all of the tasteless exterior work, it seems to retro, by that I mean it emulates some of the most overwrought Pontiacs of the mid-90's.

I like the red chrome, but really dislike the red leather seat inserts (from what I can see, they're too bright) and all of the tasteless exterior work, it seems to retro, by that I mean it emulates some of the most overwrought Pontiacs of the mid-90's.

It's okay, but nothing special.

Just your average G6 with some extra crap glued on. And I'm not sure about the stretched grilles...different...but odd...

I think the red chrome is awful, though, especially with regular chrome on the vents. The whole interior just needs to go, but in the meantime, they really need to give it some better details.

Haven't we seen this before anyway?

Edited by caddycruiser

It is just ok. I am disapointed that they didn't update the center stack on the inside. The sterior and HVAC controls are terrible when compared to the newer GM offerings.

The beak on this thing seems to large to me. Also, the mesh grills don't seem to line up - they look awkward for some reason.

Now that Cadillac is on solid, Saturn and Buick in the works GM needs to turn some serious design power to Pontiac. The only good looking and correctly proportioned vehicle in the entire line-up is the Soltice. The GP and G6 look awkward and the SV6 and Torrent don't belong. I can't wait until the GP is replaced with a higher class offering.

It's okay, but nothing special.

Just your average G6 with some extra crap glued on.  And I'm not sure about the stretched grilles...different...but odd...

I think the red chrome is awful, though, especially with regular chrome on the vents.  The whole interior just needs to go, but in the meantime, they really need to give it some better details.

Haven't we seen this before anyway?

Yep, last SEMA, the G6 Performance Coupe. Only things changed this time is the GXP badging and the wheels from the GTP.

Very disgusting indeed. A show car, and I hope it stays that way. I'll take the 2004 GXP any day over this one/

Edited by ToniCipriani

Yep, last SEMA, the G6 Performance Coupe. Only things changed this time is the GXP badging and the wheels from the GTP.

Very disgusting indeed.

How can the same company that produced the Soltice, Sky, Aura and Enclave turn out something so bad? I hope the Pontiac stand is far away from Saturn - I don't want this thing showing up in any photographs of the new Saturn lineup at NY.

Excessive. They tried too har to make it aggressive, imo.

Also, did anyone notice that in the interior shot the car has a manual shifter but only 2 pedals? Funny sh*t! :smilewide:

OMG!!! I can't believe that the GM marketing department would miss this? Didn't any engineers look at these before released to the press? Bob Lutz? How did you miss this?

That picture needs to be fixed ASAP. This will get picked up on and will contribute to the "perception" that GM doesn't know what it is doing.

OMG!!!  I can't believe that the GM marketing department would miss this?  Didn't any engineers look at these before released to the press?  Bob Lutz?  How did you miss this? 

That picture needs to be fixed ASAP.  This will get picked up on and will contribute to the "perception" that GM doesn't know what it is doing.

I actually think the car needs to be fixed, not the picture. But someone dropped the ball on that.

I actually like it. The rear wing could be toned down a bit, maybe not so tall. The rear bumper looks good. THe side skirt looks good. The front bumper looks fine to me too. The grill is a little to tall. The interior sucks, especially the radio and HVAC controls suck.

I dare anyone to disagree with me that it looks like a G35 coupe... especially the rear shot

Edited by 04monteintimidator

Designed to augment the G6’s sleek styling with a more aggressive appearance and stance, the new GXP show car will test both media and public reaction before any final decision on production is made.

If you guys are really not happy with the car (I admit, the grill looks bad in the pics), then just tell GM and let's see what happens.

I don't like it at all. They ruined the flowing shape of the G6 coupe with these tacky add-ons. The grille makes no sense. I agree with whoever said that they tried too hard to make it aggressive. The original SEMA G6 sedan grille would have been a much better alternative. Did I mention that the red chrome is horrible.

If there is some hope, the original SEMA Bonneville GXP had very similar performance mods (to the SC3800), and the production version ended up being pretty different. Maybe the same thing wil happen with this turkey. If not, I'd rather have a regular GTP, and the part number for the exhaust system and the K&N filter.

I actually like it. The rear wing could be toned down a bit, maybe not so tall. The rear bumper looks good. THe side skirt looks good. The front bumper looks fine to me too. The grill is a little to tall. The interior sucks, especially the radio and HVAC controls suck.

That rear bumper is actually a carryover from the older SEMA GXP:

Posted Image

I still prefer this one over Bugs Bunny.

Edited by ToniCipriani

I have been looking at this picture every couple minutes when online for the last hour or so...I still think it's hideous.

It looks cheap...like you took a G6 and added on a bunch of aftermarket parts that were bought at a junk yard. And that grill is awful. I still think it looks like the original G6 grill that melted a bit.

Just give me the GTP coupe and throw in the new transmission and more powerful engine, stick a GXP badge on the side and I'd be happier than I would be with this.

Seeking to build on the 25-percent retail sales gain by the G6 so far this year, Pontiac is revealing a new G6 GXP coupe show car at the upcoming New York International Auto Show. Designed to augment the G6’s sleek styling with a more aggressive appearance and stance, the new GXP show car will test both media and public reaction before any final decision on production is made. “Although the GXP performance series has been very successful in the past, we’ve never attempted to introduce a GXP on our largest volume vehicle and we want to be sure we do it right,” said Dennis Maraone, Pontiac product director. “We believe the package of exterior, interior and performance enhancements we’ve put together on the G6 GXP show car should appeal to 2+2 coupe enthusiasts.”

Highlighting the exterior styling changes is a redesigned front fascia, featuring an integrated lower air dam and an aggressive chrome treatment of Pontiac’s signature twin-port grille, as well as a twin air scoop hood. Around back, the new rear fascia shows off the dual chrome-tipped exhaust and unique “hammerhead” spoiler. Side rocker panels, 19-inch wheels, vented cross-drilled brake rotors, and a 25-mm reduction in suspension height finish off the GXP’s ground-hugging appearance.

Inside, red accents give the GXP a sportier flavor than a standard G6. The red chrome trim on the instrument cluster, center stack and door controls augments the red leather seat and door panel inserts.

Under the hood, the G6 GXP uses a modified 3.9-liter V-6 engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Linking a ram air induction system with K&N air filter to a cat-back free flowing exhaust helps boost engine output to 270 horsepower (202 kw) and 259 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm).

The GXP performance series was introduced in 2003 with the Bonneville GXP. The Grand Prix GXP joined the line in 2005 and currently accounts for 30 percent of all Grand Prix retail sales. The Solstice GXP launches this fall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What a hideous nose.......kidney-grille looks all out of proportion.

Interior is even worse. At least the base G6 interior looks nicer with the chrome rings around the gauges and on the shifter instead of this red crap....

And yet ANOTHER variation of GM's pushrod V6 engine. Where's the Enclave's HF, 270hp 3.6L V6....?

Did GM actually pay a bunch of people to think this thing up?

Oh no. NOOOOO!!!! :nono:

I hate the interior mods. Absolutely horrible. Two-tone leather is fine, but Pontiac should have used more "adult" colors. This isn't a Cobalt SS/SC, for God's sake. If they were going to "jazz up" the interior, they should have used something like a navy blue, dark saddle brown, or dark wine color for the secondary color. The red anodized trim is hideous and tacky.

I can deal with the front clip. I would have made the Ram Air openings a little more radiused though, the rectangles look aftermarket. Pep Boys? I would also have added a Solstice-style fender scallop with arrowhead emblem.

The rocker extensions are crap. Throwbacks to a dark period in Pontiac history.

I do not like the rear bumper cover either. Nice quad exhaust tips would have been the way to go, that ugly "turn under" and strakes make the ass end look nasty.

The wing is an absolute throwaway. A definite dealbreaker. Forget it, Pontiac! Everyone here knows I hate wings anyway, but this... this is the ugliest, tacked-on piece of $h! I've ever seen attached to a production car.

After I take all the ugly crap off this otherwise beautiful car, I'd add darkened headlight and taillight housings.

Pontiac, you have ruined a beautiful car with this chintzy POS. Like others have said, give me a GTP with the open exhaust and a Ram Air hood.

Edited by ocnblu

I like it.  It would be neat if you could get it from the dealer like that, I hope they do it...it's a great package for people who want a sportier version.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This car will be a huge win! The attention to exterior detail is perfect although the rear wing could use the side portions cut back a bit..

Otherwise it really corrects every error on the original bland G6 coupe..

If they made this in a retactable top I'd consider it as a family vehicle.

3.9 liter V6 sounds about right..

Maybe it has a dual clutch sequential shifter and thats why its only got two pedals...

Wishful thinking...

Seeking to build on the 25-percent retail sales gain by the G6, so far this year

Hmmm.... Guess my "useless observation" thread was somewhat RELEVANT after all.

:)

the new GXP show car will test both media and public reaction

The media will DESTROY it.

“We believe the package of exterior, interior and performance enhancements we’ve put together on the G6 GXP show car should appeal to 2+2 coupe enthusiasts.”

A.K.A. "Here is your GTO replacement for the forseable future... ENJOY!"

Under the hood, the G6 GXP uses a modified 3.9-liter V-6 engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Linking a ram air induction system with K&N air filter

SWEET!!!! Nice to see Ram Air make a comeback to the Pontiac line... Now they need to do the same thing with the G5 to further differentiate it!

The Grand Prix GXP joined the line in 2005 and currently accounts for 30 percent of all Grand Prix retail sales.

Damn! I would've NEVER guessed that to be the case since I RARELY see a GP GXP.

Better yet, WHY did the GP GXP NOT receive more media exposure?!?!? It seems that both it and the Impala have been virtually IGNORED. (Surprise, surprise) The *ONLY* GP GXP article I recall was the SHORT and very positive Car and Drivel write up.

AS FOR THE CAR,

I think I can do without the red chrome, and I absolutely can't wait for all of the condescending remarks from the media about "Christmas at Pontiac" and "Cheap red plastic" and "Looks like GM's red ink has translated to the G6's interior."

The front is okay... The grille could be considered too big, but I think the front and stance as a whole is awesome and will look a lot better in person.

The rear needs to lose that "Batwing" spoiler... TONE IT DOWN GM!!!!

The combination of the GM bade and GXP badge looks like sh*t. (I like the idea of the GM badges---On some vehicles GM executes it flawlessly amd seemlessly, then on some, such as this, the base Cobalt, most of the SS cars and the Equinox it just looks chintzy.

And yes, I'm pretty sure we were previously introduced to this car at SEMA last November. (WOW, show season for us GM-ers sucks more every year. Guess that's what happens when the press runs your company and it's bank account into the ground)

I absolutely LOVE the wheels though (NO, THEY ARE NOT GTP WHEELS, read the press release again... These are 19 inchers.) and I LOVE the hood intakes (They are *classic* Pontiac at it's best)

***Overall though... I like it!***

Of course, I LOVE aggressive designs (Last gen Grand Am, WS6 Trans Am)

I think they're trying to do 2 things with this design.. Rope in the YOUNGER buyers that the Grand Am GT enjoyed and appeal to 'ricers' that drive aggressive looking Lancers and hopped up Civics, AGAIN, young people. The Grand Am enjoyed a pretty positive image with young people, probably way better than the average G6 sedan does.

I actually like it A LOT save for the red interior chrome and the 1980 Porsche wing! and I'd buy it... And honestly, there really hasn't been a Pontiac that I'd seriously consider besides the Solstice in 2-3 years.

And you know what? 1) It'll probably be toned down for production and 2) I *BET* they'll hit their target audience... What's wrong with a big prominent grille??? It worked for Chrysler, Toyota is trying it, Audi & VW seem to be benfitting from it, Dodges' SRT-4 has an excellent reputation and who can forget the scowling Lancer???

NOTE TO GM: PRODUCE IT!!!! Just tweak it a bit!

P.S. Hows about offering 'smoked' headlights??? :)

'm going to have to join the chorus of haters for this car. The twin port grill looks terrible in this iteration, i think you either need large headlights or a prominent grill, not both; it makes the front too busy. And the wing is not just over the top, but ugly over the top. There are excessive wings that are asthetically pleasing, this isn't one of them. I do like powder coated trim pieces on the interior, but I'm a fairly young guy so that stuff doesn't turn me away like it might for others. I've wanted to like the g6 coupe but there is something about its proportions that just turn me off.