Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

SATURN REVEALS SKY REDLINE

SATURN EXPANDS SKY LINEUP WITH RED LINE PERFORMANCE VARIANT

NEW YORK – Saturn continues its product revitalization with the 2007 Sky Red Line performance roadster, which is debuting at the 2006 New York International Auto Show. The Red Line, available at Saturn retailers this fall, builds on the Sky’s established performance character, offering even more power and sportier driving dynamics combined with a bold design and driver-focused interior.

The Red Line gets a boost in performance from an Ecotec turbocharged 2.0-liter engine, GM’s first direct injection offering in North America. It produces 260 horsepower* (194 kw) at 5300 rpm and 260 lb.-ft. of torque* (353 Nm) at 2500 rpm, making it GM’s highest specific output engine ever at 2.1 horsepower per cubic inch of displacement (130 hp / 97 kw per liter) and the most powerful engine in the Ecotec family.

Gasoline direct injection technology helps the Ecotec engine produce more power while maintaining the lower fuel consumption of a small displacement port-injected engine.

With direct injection, fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber to create a more complete burn of the air/fuel mixture. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower, especially at normal cruising speeds, of a conventional port-injection combustion system.

Direct injection technology works well with turbocharging and helps deliver a great balance of power and economy.

Other Red Line technical highlights include:

• Standard torque-sensing limited-slip differential
  • Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control
  • Performance-tuned suspension
Technical elements also standard on the 2007 Sky roadster include:
  • Four-wheel independent short/long arm suspension for optimal handling and stability
  • Coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks for excellent wheel control and road isolation
  • Hydraulically assisted rack-and-pinion power steering for quick, responsive vehicle control
  • Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS for excellent stopping performance
  • Wide track for excellent stability and superior handling
  • Near 50/50 weight distribution for balanced handling
  • Structural tunnel design and hydroformed longitudinal frame rails for a stiff body that results in greater vehicle responsiveness and better overall feel
The Red Line also features several unique interior and exterior differences compared to the Sky roadster, including dual exhaust with chrome polished outlets, 18-inch polished aluminum alloy wheels, and specific front lower fascia with large brake cooling vents and black headlamp bezels.

The interior features a leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, unique seatback and floormat embroidery, metallic sill plates, stainless steel pedal covers, Red Line-specific gauges and a digital boost gauge included in the Driver Information Center.

The Sky Red Line has numerous safety features, including dual-stage frontal air bags, GM’s Passenger Sensing System, four-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS, side-impact door beams, three-point safety belts with pretentioners and load-limiting retractors, and more.

*Preliminary, pending certification. A new voluntary power and torque certification procedure developed by the SAE Engine Test Code committee was approved March 31, 2005. This procedure (J2723) ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque by allowing manufacturers to certify their engines through third-party witness testing. GM was the first auto manufacturer to begin using the procedure and expects to use it for all newly rated engines in the future.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SKYGASM!!!

Wow. Looks sooo hot. I love the turbo badges. I know..I love a piece of worthless metal.. but it's so awesome that GM finally has a turbo of it's own in the US!

oh.. and I agree with Croc's last statement.

Edited by Cadillacfan

So hot. So freakin' hot.

I swear, with this, the aura, the outlook... I may just have to become a saturn fan. And a Saturn owner... It'd definitely take the aura over a LaCrosse.

So hot.  So freakin' hot.

I swear, with this, the aura, the outlook... I may just have to become a saturn fan.  And a Saturn owner... It'd definitely take the aura over a LaCrosse.

No kidding. The Aura is the best GM sedan available for sale without the Cadillac badge on it. I want an Aura XR with every option!!!!

Cool, but they couldn't put new rims on it? I mean, it looks good, but I feel they could've done more...while I don't mind the chrome, maybe they could've went for a brushed aluminum, and maybe they could've done a bit more with the interior as well. I mean, it's a great car and a great looking car, don't get me wrong. But come on...a performance version shouldn't get its own distinct rims?

Cool, but they couldn't put new rims on it? I mean, it looks good, but I feel they could've done more...while I don't mind the chrome, maybe they could've went for a brushed aluminum, and maybe they could've done a bit more with the interior as well. I mean, it's a great car and a great looking car, don't get me wrong. But come on...a performance version shouldn't get its own distinct rims?

Ok...first of all...they are called wheels, rims are the outer part of the wheel. Also, why change them? those 5-spokers look damn sexy.

Second of all...I F*CKING WANT THIS CAR!! As a diehard Chrysler Group fan, that's a big compliment. It looks so hot in that dark blue! Gimmie Giimie!

Pure Sex on wheels.

Edited by Dodgefan

SKYGASM!!!

Wow.  Looks sooo hot.  I love the turbo badges.  I know..I love a piece of worthless metal.. but it's so awesome that GM finally has a turbo of it's own in the US!

Agreed. This would make a killer Chevrolet Sting Ray.

What a sexy car.

Ok...first of all...they are called wheels, rims are the outer part of  the wheel. Also, why change them? those 5-spokers look damn sexy.

Uh, when referring to a car, rims and wheels are the same thing. That's the way the term has developed. When talking about a bicycle, well, you would be correct, it would be the outer portion which holds the spokes in conjunction with the hub.

And regardless of how good the original wheels look, generally high performance versions of cars have different wheels than their base models...C6 and C6 Z06 for example. It helps to differentiate between the two models. I don't see why the same can't be done with the Sky/Solstice variants...

Uh, when referring to a car, rims and wheels are the same thing. That's the way the term has developed.

Simply because of urban culture. Which may seem fine except, like so much slang these days...is a total miss use of the word.

Wheel (noun): 1: disk or circular frame capable of turning on a central axis.

2: device of which is the main part of a wheel.

Rim (noun): edge esp. of something curved.

This is probably a tired and stupid arguement, but I just can't help it. The "rim" of a wheel is the outer edge of said wheel. Bicycle, motorcycle, car, plane, snowblower, it's the same prinicple. A wheel is a wheel and a rim is the outer edge of it.

This is sorta like saying "that's the sh1t!" except yeah... to most normal people refering to something as a piece of steaming poo is not a compliment. *sigh*

:deadhorse:

If it's just the edge, and not the assembly, then how can it turn on a central axis?

My point. By deffinition, a rim is the edge, not the actual wheel but part of it. The wheel is the entire assembly, the rim is the outer part of it. The spokes that connect to the central axis are part of the wheel, connected to the rim. The contruct as a whole is a wheel.

A professional car care book or manual will not say "rim and tire maintainance" it will say "wheel and tire maintainance" Or something to that degree. It will never refer to the wheels as rims.

Y'know...you'd think this sort of arguement would be coming from an old guy who is irritated by the use of teh word rim by pop-culture.

But, I just turned 20 at the end of March :P Slangs like this just bug me, lol

Edited by Dodgefan

Sucks for Mazda. In a matter of months it goes from America's favorite roadster...to third. This car is freaking beautiful. I have yet to meet one person that doesn't think this car is flat out amazing. I'm sure the press will still badmouth its handling and whatnot...but whatever. Go Saturn!

wow, it's just beautiful in that blue color. amazing.

in those pictures it reminds me of an XLR... i'm not sure why but it does...

This Pontiac fanatic's opinion is... Solstice what? I want a Sky... :D

lol, once could say the solstice had its day, and now the sky is falling...

The guys at Car and Driver aren't very smart. I was watching a video on this car and he said it share it's "Theta" platform with the Solstice....annyone see a problem there?

Hmm... Solstice and Sky are on some other Greek letter platform, I think...can't recall which one right now.

Looks like maybe a luggage tie-down or something.

Antenna, I think..for OnStar or XM, probably.. the louvered thingy with the 4 handles is some sort of dual mode kitchen tool, I think (draining plate?)

Edited by moltar