PREVUE CONCEPT SHOWCASES NEW SATURN DESIGN DIRECTION

NEW YORK – The Saturn PreVue crossover concept – revealed today at the New York International Auto Show – continues Saturn’s ongoing product revitalization and provides a glimpse of future Saturn vehicle designs.

The three-door, four-wheel drive crossover offers a sporty interpretation of Saturn’s new design language and illustrates how it could be applied to a future version of Saturn’s highly successful Vue compact SUV.

The PreVue was collaboratively developed with GM’s Opel brand and was seen as the Opel Antara GTC concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2005. The vehicle is part of the ongoing cooperation between the Saturn and Opel brands.

"There is significant synergy between Opel and Saturn," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager. "Both brands play in similar market segments, have similar competitors and target similar customers in their respective regions."

Unveiled with the PreVue concept were three new production vehicles that will arrive at Saturn retailers in 2006: the Aura midsize sedan, Sky Red Line roadster and Outlook crossover utility.

The current generation of Saturn’s Vue continues to be popular, with more than 350,000 vehicles sold since the vehicle debuted in 2002.

The PreVue merges the seemingly contradictory design elements of a sporty coupe and a powerful SUV. Coupe-like features include the two doors and tailgate, along with a side window design sans B-pillar and an elegantly sloping roof. These cues combine with SUV characteristics such as powerful side shoulders and wheel cutouts; steeply inclined windows; stable flanks and short overhangs for large approach and departure angles.

“The PreVue is sporty, aggressive and emotional, and fits in perfectly with Saturn’s brand character,” said Phil Zak, PreVue design director. “ The result is a refined shape that conveys adventure and performance, even when stationary.”

Attention to detail is clear in the PreVue styling. In front, the crossover features a V-shaped brushed aluminum radiator grille, detailed, jewel-like headlamps and Saturn badging. The front and rear underside protection has been cut from solid aluminum, as has the edge protection strip in the luggage area.

In profile, frameless windows slope downward, accentuating its coupe-like silhouette, and louvers on the sides of the fenders fit into fine aluminum frames, much like the vents on the side of the engine hood and exhaust openings behind the doors.

An Everglade Mica green exterior features contrasting dark bumpers and bottom body strip. Inspiration for this body strip came from the soles of athletic shoes, and the pattern repeats on the accelerator and brake pedal surfaces.

Door handles retract flush with the body, and only slide out when the driver approaches the vehicle with a remote door opener.

On the roof, two silver strips flank the body-colored center strip, which separates two sunroofs and merges with the pantographic hinge that’s affixed to the tailgate. The innovative design moves up and forward when the tailgate opens – so drivers don’t have to step back when accessing the cargo area.

Front and rear headlamps consist of light-emitting diodes, which have a longer life and shorter response times than conventional lamps. The lamp units are smoothly integrated into the front fenders, and in the rear, they form a brilliant highlight in transition from side shoulder to rear.

Polished aluminum 20-inch wheels complete the package.

On the inside, generous use of warm tones and leather mix with carbon fiber seatbacks, as well as stainless steel and aluminum cockpit elements. Designers opted for a two-toned interior, with dark brown dominating the upper part of the instrument panel and door liners, with light beige lower areas, roof, seats and floors.

The panoramic roof system features two generously sized sunroofs for a bright, cheerful interior, with dark tinted glass protecting passengers from excessive sunlight. The center roof console, which runs the length of the vehicle, offers ample storage space. In addition, a specially designed leather storage bag can be moved along a rail between the front and rear seats, or removed for shopping or sightseeing.

The center console accommodates the transmission gear lever, which is ringed by brushed stainless steel; three large round glossy-black vents; and infotainment and HVAC controls, which are backlit in turquoise. The console incorporates handles at each side to accentuate the vehicle’s off-road character.

The instrument panel also is backlit in turquoise and encased in an aluminum housing. And instead of traditional carpeting, the floors are fitted with sisal, a ropelike natural fiber typically used in home interiors, for a stylish, durable look.

The four seats, mounted to monorails, appear to be floating atop the floor for a spacious, airy appearance. With the press of a button, the seats slide forward to the instrument panel so rear passengers can access the vehicle.

The rear seats fold away into the floor, and the sisal-lined cargo area can be folded flat up to the front seats, thanks to a moving double floor.

The PreVue is powered by a two-stage turbocharged 212-horsepower (156 kw) twin-turbo version of the Ecotec common-rail diesel engine. It features hefty torque at low engine speeds (295 lb.-ft. / 400 Nm @ 1400 rpm), and is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The transversely installed four-cylinder engine features dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and variable turbo blade geometry.

SATURN PREVUE SPECIFICATIONS

Vehicle type: two-door, four-passenger crossover

Wheelbase (in / mm): 106.6 / 2692

Length (in / mm): 178 / 4530

Width (in / mm): 77.6 / 1970

Height (in / mm): 65 / 1640

Track (in / mm): 61 / 1460

Engine: two-stage turbocharged 212-hp (156 kw) twin-turbo version of Ecotec diesel

Transmission: six-speed automatic

Wheels: 20-inch polished aluminum

Tires: Dunlop

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Haha...wow...quite an effort on GM's part...

The Antera concept was great, so this is great as well, and being that Saturn is now the US Opel, I guess it only makes sense, but what did they do? Just change the badges?

This is what's missing from the SUV segment... something sporty and personal, without being too rudimentary. I'd drive one... with 3.6L VVT, or even a forced-induction Ecotec, this thing would be hot.

Wow... first the Sky and now this!? Saturn is starting to suck a

lot less all of a sudden. Am I seeing things or is this a hardtop?

It looks like a hardtop since the only remenance of a B-pllar is

weatherstripping on the rear windows... but if they half assed

it and the window does not roll down that would be pretty stupid.

Looks like there's plenty of room in the rear 1/4 panel to

swallow up the rear side glass.

I thought this is what they meant by "Crossover coupe concept"-I figured it would be a repainted, rebadged Antara GTC concept-I just wish that the production car was more stylish than the concept (from the spy shots and CGI's I've seen, it was nice looking, but nowhere near as stylish as the concept car).

Hot is not the word for it, pure sex is more like it.

hey we can agree on something :AH-HA_wink:

i agree with the comments that there really is nothing that exudes this much style and sophistication in the 20-30k market. This SUV will rock. It brings Infiniti FX presence with a whole new dash of style to a new market. Amazing, GM. And the interior is sweet as chocolate chip pancakes.

Build a 2 door and a 4 door model and you will shake up the crossover market.  Right now that is why the Caliber is selling like hot cakes, inspite of poor reviews.

Most of the reviews so far have been pretty good actually, and plus the Caliber is a 4-door only moel and a size smaller...so I'm not sure I see the relevance of your comment.

Out of all the new Saturns I've looked at today, this one is my favorite. It shows that GM can really be ahead of the game if they feel like it. Clever name, too.

If GM were to actually be ahead of the game with this vehicle they would have to have it on sale this fall but that ain't gonna happen. What I would love to see is something futuristic like this shown as a production model not a concept and blow everyone's socks off. Edited by I hope GMRULES again

I still don't get why everyone is so fascinated with this? We have already seen it in the form of the Opel Antara, and that was quite a while ago. These images are exactly the same with photoshopped saturn badges on them. We know Saturn is going to be the US Opel, so what's the suprise?

Edited by Nick

I still don't get why everyone is so fascinated with this? We have already seen it in the form of the Opel Antara, and that was quite a while ago. These images are exactly the same with photoshopped saturn badges on them. We know Saturn is going to be the US Opel, so what's the suprise?

I think a lot of NA people are used to ignoring Opel since they can't buy the products. Soon they will be able to get some of them... :)

I wish they would sell it as a two door and with the diesel. And I LOVE the side exhausts! Seeing the Aura's conversion from concept to production, i was dissapointed, not nearly as dissapointed as with the g6 though. If they can keep the exterior shape faithful, and give us an interior that is just a step ahead of what we've seen for the new outlook, and it will be one hot ride. Just give us the turbo diesel!

This is what's missing from the SUV segment... something sporty and personal, without being too rudimentary.  I'd drive one... with 3.6L VVT, or even a forced-induction Ecotec, this thing would be hot.

AGREED. a 260hp turbo ecotec with 6 speed in this would be badass...the 3.6 would be too heavy just like the honda mill makes the front end too heavy in the vue

and definitely build the 2 door too!

Edited by regfootball

Most of the reviews so far have been pretty good actually, and plus the Caliber is a 4-door only moel and a size smaller...so I'm not sure I see the relevance of your comment.

I'm warming up to Caliber, but if its last or near last-place in the comparison test, how've the reviews been good? (I haven't read the whole thing, so I guess I'll have to if I get the chance.)

I'm warming up to Caliber, but if its last or near last-place in the comparison test, how've the reviews been good? (I haven't read the whole thing, so I guess I'll have to if I get the chance.)

That test compares cares of a different catagory, the Caliber I'm assuming near base form to match it's competeors...i haven't seen the article yet so i can't say for sure, just a guess.

edmunds likes it, just think it's not as fun to drive with AWD, when the 2.4 FWD and a manual become available that should help the complaint there, and the SRT-4 will solve any horsepower issues anyone may have :P

auto123.com liked it too.

I did this chop awhile ago for a competition:

Posted Image

That looks so damn hot :) I'm really lovin' this concept. Keep it as is... maybe tone down the gauges a little :lol:

Is a 2 door version of the next VUE being planned? If not, we're all going to be disappointed when we see a 4 door VUE with way less sex appeal. There were some links to spy photos of the next gen VUE and Opel version of the VUE posted here..

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...topic=6749&st=0

They show a different C piller than the Antara/Prevue and a lack indentation...i don't know what they're called...on the doors. It still looks fairly attractive from what you can see but it's not anywhere near the Prevue/Antara.

I wish they would sell it as a two door and with the diesel.  And I LOVE the side exhausts!  Seeing the Aura's conversion from concept to production, i was dissapointed, not nearly as dissapointed as with the g6 though.  If they can keep the exterior shape faithful, and give us an interior that is just a step ahead of what we've seen for the new outlook, and it will be one hot ride.  Just give us the turbo diesel!

A 2dr w/ the diesel would be very cool... those are the 2 things lacking in the US SUV market today---2drs and diesels.

Man, I swear, Saturn is going to ROCK. If the quality can improve, the lifecycles stay short, and GM stays on top of the power/feature game, Saturn could become a leading company.

PREVUE CONCEPT SHOWCASES NEW SATURN DESIGN DIRECTION

NEW YORK – The Saturn PreVue crossover concept – revealed today at the New York International Auto Show – continues Saturn’s ongoing product revitalization and provides a glimpse of future Saturn vehicle designs.

The three-door, four-wheel drive crossover offers a sporty interpretation of Saturn’s new design language and illustrates how it could be applied to a future version of Saturn’s highly successful Vue compact SUV.

The PreVue was collaboratively developed with GM’s Opel brand and was seen as the Opel Antara GTC concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2005. The vehicle is part of the ongoing cooperation between the Saturn and Opel brands.

"There is significant synergy between Opel and Saturn," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager. "Both brands play in similar market segments, have similar competitors and target similar customers in their respective regions."

Unveiled with the PreVue concept were three new production vehicles that will arrive at Saturn retailers in 2006: the Aura midsize sedan, Sky Red Line roadster and Outlook crossover utility.

The current generation of Saturn’s Vue continues to be popular, with more than 350,000 vehicles sold since the vehicle debuted in 2002.

The PreVue merges the seemingly contradictory design elements of a sporty coupe and a powerful SUV. Coupe-like features include the two doors and tailgate, along with a side window design sans B-pillar and an elegantly sloping roof. These cues combine with SUV characteristics such as powerful side shoulders and wheel cutouts; steeply inclined windows; stable flanks and short overhangs for large approach and departure angles.

“The PreVue is sporty, aggressive and emotional, and fits in perfectly with Saturn’s brand character,” said Phil Zak, PreVue design director. “ The result is a refined shape that conveys adventure and performance, even when stationary.”

Attention to detail is clear in the PreVue styling. In front, the crossover features a V-shaped brushed aluminum radiator grille, detailed, jewel-like headlamps and Saturn badging. The front and rear underside protection has been cut from solid aluminum, as has the edge protection strip in the luggage area.

In profile, frameless windows slope downward, accentuating its coupe-like silhouette, and louvers on the sides of the fenders fit into fine aluminum frames, much like the vents on the side of the engine hood and exhaust openings behind the doors.

An Everglade Mica green exterior features contrasting dark bumpers and bottom body strip. Inspiration for this body strip came from the soles of athletic shoes, and the pattern repeats on the accelerator and brake pedal surfaces.

Door handles retract flush with the body, and only slide out when the driver approaches the vehicle with a remote door opener.

On the roof, two silver strips flank the body-colored center strip, which separates two sunroofs and merges with the pantographic hinge that’s affixed to the tailgate. The innovative design moves up and forward when the tailgate opens – so drivers don’t have to step back when accessing the cargo area.

Front and rear headlamps consist of light-emitting diodes, which have a longer life and shorter response times than conventional lamps. The lamp units are smoothly integrated into the front fenders, and in the rear, they form a brilliant highlight in transition from side shoulder to rear.

Polished aluminum 20-inch wheels complete the package.

On the inside, generous use of warm tones and leather mix with carbon fiber seatbacks, as well as stainless steel and aluminum cockpit elements. Designers opted for a two-toned interior, with dark brown dominating the upper part of the instrument panel and door liners, with light beige lower areas, roof, seats and floors.

The panoramic roof system features two generously sized sunroofs for a bright, cheerful interior, with dark tinted glass protecting passengers from excessive sunlight. The center roof console, which runs the length of the vehicle, offers ample storage space. In addition, a specially designed leather storage bag can be moved along a rail between the front and rear seats, or removed for shopping or sightseeing.

The center console accommodates the transmission gear lever, which is ringed by brushed stainless steel; three large round glossy-black vents; and infotainment and HVAC controls, which are backlit in turquoise. The console incorporates handles at each side to accentuate the vehicle’s off-road character.

The instrument panel also is backlit in turquoise and encased in an aluminum housing. And instead of traditional carpeting, the floors are fitted with sisal, a ropelike natural fiber typically used in home interiors, for a stylish, durable look.

The four seats, mounted to monorails, appear to be floating atop the floor for a spacious, airy appearance. With the press of a button, the seats slide forward to the instrument panel so rear passengers can access the vehicle.

The rear seats fold away into the floor, and the sisal-lined cargo area can be folded flat up to the front seats, thanks to a moving double floor.

The PreVue is powered by a two-stage turbocharged 212-horsepower (156 kw) twin-turbo version of the Ecotec common-rail diesel engine. It features hefty torque at low engine speeds (295 lb.-ft. / 400 Nm @ 1400 rpm), and is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The transversely installed four-cylinder engine features dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and variable turbo blade geometry.

SATURN PREVUE SPECIFICATIONS

Vehicle type:  two-door, four-passenger crossover

Wheelbase (in / mm):  106.6 / 2692

Length (in / mm):  178 / 4530

Width (in / mm):  77.6 / 1970

Height (in / mm):  65 / 1640

Track (in / mm):  61 / 1460

Engine:  two-stage turbocharged 212-hp (156 kw) twin-turbo version of Ecotec diesel

Transmission:  six-speed automatic

Wheels:  20-inch polished aluminum

Tires:  Dunlop

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:puke: yulck

:puke::puke: