GMT-900 Interior spyshot discussion

Flybrian

Dig at it, guys!

Cheers & Gears has paid for the rights to publish these photos.

Please do NOT re-host or hotlink these pictures.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD Ext. Cab

URL links to this story are fine. Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted Image

:CG_all:

Its nothing special if you ask me. Don't really pay much attention to trucks, but aside from the chrome details you pointed out, just looks like more hard plastic crap. Same for the knobs on the seats. If this is better than the last gen, yikes hate to have that vehicle.

Well, at least there's no plastiwood!

It looks a little chunky to me. Maybe its just the angle. There's a lot of black plastic there...I hope that's on the Work Truck only. The climate control dials are huge. First impression isn't all that great, but maybe another picture would help. And it is different than the Tahoe, so maybe the outside will be, too.

Yeah...im sure it would have boded real well for it to have the Tahoe interior. Im surprised its so different...the press would have eaten GM alive if it had the Tahoe interior. Just the way it is. All of Lexus' cars could share the same interior and it'd be considered an industry trend before an apalling design move. Good stuff, cant wait to see the exterior.

It is sort of hard to tell, but I'd say it will look pretty good with the console. I'd say it will suit the truck's needs just fine.

It does sort of look like a Dodge, but it also reminded me of the new Expedition dashboard at first. Needless to say, it's much better than what we have now.

I have faith that it will be pretty good, since one analyst said he expects the Silverado to take 5% of the pickup share from the F-150.

If I had to guess, I'd say that this isn't a top-of-the line 900? I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit more wood or chrome or something in the more up-scale versions.

Either way, its good for the truck. I like the metal trim around the guages, but I think I was expecting more after the Tahoe interior...

This is definetly the base (LS or WT) truck. The climate controls are not automatic, and the radio is the lowest level one available. So, I'd say if we're comparing this to the F-150, we need to compare the base F-150.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's nothing to drool over either, but the upper models are very good looking.

Guest YellowJacket894

I like it. And it looks way better than the GMT-800's interior. Period.

Compaired to the base F-150's interior, the new Silvy looks very tough and sturdy inside, which is what you want in a truck. The F-150 looks prissy and like it might worry about it's nails.

Maybe this is a hint that the trucks will be more than a little different from the SUVs (of course they are, duh!). Hope so. I think seeing new design elements will be entertaining. And, of course, they are, especially considering the Tahoe and Silverado are on the (of course!) same platform.

Edited by YellowJacket894

It doesn't even matter about the trim pieces. This is clearly a mule...GM is NOT going to waste money on installing trim pieces in test mules. Also, some suppliers might not be ready with the actual pieces yet so they may not even be in existence. I say this interior looks promising...but there better be a lot less charcoal plastic in the final incarnation.

The center stack looks pretty well-integrated, though I see a few preproduction panel gaps...

*Shelves that*

My main point still stands: this is not entirely indicative of the appearance of the final interior trim pieces, no matter how low the trim level. I would be shocked to see this much charcoal plastic in the final release. Not even the lowliest Tahoe has this much charcoal plastic.

Edited by Croc

I'll wait to see the official interior. It's obviously just a rough version of it.

Overall, I like that they gave it a more rugged interior. I know that if they gave it a Tahoe interior, it would've scared some people away who were looking for macho truck styling.

Also, look at that huge door handle!

I think the Silverado is looking better and better. It's a shame we have to wait until the Texas state fair in September to see the official pictures of it.

Though, we'll probably see it well before then.

Oh.. and GMI has the same picture and they paid for it too. Very unusual.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Again, this is a base level. Don't be too surprised when what you get on that trim level looks pretty similar to this photo.

We've seen before with many models that interior trim pieces are not always finalized until the official debut, including many vehicles you have shot.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I really doubt GM would be stupid enough to release a truck with THAT MUCH of a sea of charcoal gray plastic. It just isn't going to happen. As dumb as GM can be sometimes, I really don't believe they are THAT STUPID.

2007 Tahoe LS:

Posted Image

Instead of the wood trim, it uses metallic trim...I expect the Silverado LS to include a few metallic inserts, especially around the center stack.

Edited by Croc

Actually most of the interiors I've shot in the last 2.5 years have pretty much been how they come out. But nevermind mind my opionion, I just do this for a living.  :rolleyes:

*sigh* Chris, I'm not accusing you of anything, simply reminding everyone that little final changes are made before introduction. One recent example is the Ford Edge spy photo you shot. It appears to be in approximately the same stage of testing as the Silverado. Below:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gal...ETEPJFYZGOD.jpg

Actual interior:

http://us.tnpv.net/2006/WKA200601/WKA2006010776330_pv.jpg

The differences are minor, but the silver plastic is slightly different (weird horizontal striping in the spy shot) and there is slightly more of it on the center stack, particularly where the stack meets the console. Steering wheel redundancy controls also are not shiny and black in the final version. Again, minor change in trim, but nevertheless they do happen.

Another example of a running change...remember the Bel Air concept? There were several differences between the concept's press photos and the actual show car...some quite obvious. Lutz even said at the time that he made some quick last-minute changes to help get the details right.

Edited by Croc

o i like it a lot....very utilitarian from what we can see, exactly what a pickup should be. But this definatly looks like a base model to me. Do you see that it has the 4x4 shifter on the floor, and not the push button. I'm sure the upper models will have much nicer trim.

We've seen before with many models that interior trim pieces are not always finalized until the official debut, including many vehicles you have shot.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I really doubt GM would be stupid enough to release a truck with THAT MUCH of a sea of charcoal gray plastic.  It just isn't going to happen.  As dumb as GM can be sometimes, I really don't believe they are THAT STUPID.

2007 Tahoe LS:

Posted Image

Instead of the wood trim, it uses metallic trim...I expect the Silverado LS to include a few metallic inserts, especially around the center stack.

A base level Tahoe won't be used for the worky kind of stuff a base level pickup would. GMs not going to waste plastiluminum trim in an interior thats going to get kicked, hit, tossed around, and what have you on a job site. Doesn't make since.

You also have to remember that even the LS trim Tahoe is 33 grande. I doubt 1500HD model Silverado will be close to that.

If this is supposed to represent Chevy's answer for a WORK truck, then they have blown it again!

You guys are all concerned about appearance---- what about functionality?

Work trucks, a lot of them pull trailers-- with equipment for on the job.

Where is the integrated trailer brake controller? --- Ford has one!

And while on the subject of trailer towing, this isn't exactly interior, but more functionality, when will GM or Chevy offer decent EXTENDABLE mirrors?

Ford has'em!

On these two points alone, as a truck user, not just a looker, I would say that

Chevy needs to get out on the job!

As a supposed suggestion of this being a work truck---- they have missed the mark by a country mile! :lol2:

*sigh* Chris, I'm not accusing you of anything, simply reminding everyone that little final changes are made before introduction.  One recent example is the Ford Edge spy photo you shot.  It appears to be in approximately the same stage of testing as the Silverado.  Below:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gal...ETEPJFYZGOD.jpg

Actual interior:

http://us.tnpv.net/2006/WKA200601/WKA2006010776330_pv.jpg

The differences are minor, but the silver plastic is slightly different (weird horizontal striping in the spy shot) and there is slightly more of it on the center stack, particularly where the stack meets the console.  Steering wheel redundancy controls also are not shiny and black in the final version.  Again, minor change in trim, but nevertheless they do happen.

Another example of a running change...remember the Bel Air concept?  There were several differences between the concept's press photos and the actual show car...some quite obvious.  Lutz even said at the time that he made some quick last-minute changes to help get the details right.

Thanks for showing those photos. It proves that the materials used on prototypes are usually different then the finished product.

Moving on..

I found a picture of the Cheyenne concept from a few years back. There are a few styling cues that were transfered over from that interior to the silverado's.

Not too many, but they're still there.

Posted Image

Oh.. and for all the people complaining it's not a good interior.. how can you tell from just one side shot of a prototype vehicle? Why don't you wait for the official pictures before you judge it.

Edited by Cadillacfan

disappointing, like all other GM's interior. I do not see a world class interior. Come on GM, will you ever get it right?

No, you see an interior in a prototype vehicle that has loose panels, wires running in and out for diagnostics, and laptops hooked up and hanging from parts of the interior. Seriously, making judgements from official pictures is one thing, but this is a SPY shot of a vehicle during heavy testing. Geeze.

No, you see an interior in a prototype vehicle that has loose panels, wires running in and out for diagnostics, and laptops hooked up and hanging from parts of the interior.  Seriously, making judgements from official pictures is one thing, but this is a SPY shot of a vehicle during heavy testing.  Geeze.

I know but we have been disappointed by GM for so long, even by recent car's interior.

I don't really get all the focus on interior details around here. Sure a good looking interior is nice to have, but if the gauges are easily read, the controls are easily used and the seats are comfortable, I'm usually happy. The rest of the vehicle is far more important to me. This looks like a fine interior to me (what I can see of it).

I'd expect nothing but the best here. No way will the General let us down.

Wonder how much incentive the rest of the industry will have to put on their trucks to get a sale? I can see lots of rotting Tundra's, Titan's and Ridglines with this one! I'd expect sales to dwindle at the Ford and Dodge dealerships as well (older outdated models). These are the latest and greatest and I predict there WILL be a LOT of catching up to do.

Let's watch Toyota and Nissan quaking in their knees once these things arrive!

First, this is a work truck and prototype so I am not that surprised but I am lowering my expectations. I am almost positive GM, like every other truck manufacturer, will not give higher-end model levels a different interior design to separate them from work trucks. Different materials and classy touches, yes, entirely new design, no.

Do not fully judge until the actual vehicle is released. BTW, I have never seen a base Tahoe interior and the photo that was posted looks pretty good.

it really amazes me how some of you can see 3/8 of picture of something and know all about it. theres no way anyone can make a definitive statement about this truck or interior from this here one shot.

generalizations are ok...it looks better than the other trucks so far, but really anything more than that is reaching. in my own humble opinion of course.

it really amazes me how some of you  can see 3/8 of picture of something and know all about it.  theres no way anyone can make a definitive statement about this truck or interior from this here one shot.

generalizations are ok...it looks better than the other trucks so far, but really anything more than that is reaching.  in my own humble opinion of course.

You're right. All I am saying is I don't expect anything less than stellar. This is GM were talking about and this IS their core product.

I don't really get all the focus on interior details around here. Sure a good looking interior is nice to have, but if the gauges are easily read, the controls are easily used and the seats are comfortable, I'm usually happy. The rest of the vehicle is far more important to me. This looks like a fine interior to me (what I can see of it).

It didn't use to matter. But after riding in a 06 Maxima rental, I have to say that I can see how it does to some people. Given the choice, I'm going to buy the vehicle with the nicer interior, which is why I'll probably get a Mazda3 instead of a Cobalt.

Dig at it, guys!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD Ext. Cab

Posted Image

:CG_all:

thats a heavy duty truck... its got the allyson...

looks okay to me...

somepoeple in the work industry dont want a pretty interior cause they figure they'll just ruin it... then if its ruined, it looks horrible...

also this is GM's best seller, they've got to keep it at a price point competative with the Fords that were already beating it in price...

I'm sure an LTZ model will be much more elegant...

Because we want GM to have more conquest sales. Ever sit in a Honda Pilot? Lotta attention to detail...it really makes you feel valued as a customer. Also...see my post in the SATURN AURA DEMONSTRATES REFINEMENT or whatever it's called thread.....on the two houses...maybe then you'll get it more clearly.

I'd expect nothing but the best here. No way will the General let us down.

Wonder how much incentive the rest of the industry will have to put on their trucks to get a sale? I can see lots of rotting Tundra's, Titan's and Ridglines with this one! I'd expect sales to dwindle at the Ford and Dodge dealerships as well (older outdated models). These are the latest and greatest and I predict there WILL be a LOT of catching up to do.

Let's watch Toyota and Nissan quaking in their knees once these things arrive!

Ford and Dodge are hardlly outdated. Ford still has by farthe nicest interior, and the most towing capacity I think. WIll this change when the new SIlverado hits the streets? Well, maybe, but the Ford's got a damn good interior. As for Dodge? Outdated? Hardly. It's got the sharpest handling of the full sizers, the only one with a NAV system (though the new interior is only OK), it's built well fromw hat I've heard, and it currently has the most powerful V8 in it's class with MDS. If the chevy gets something with more powerful than the 5.7 litre hemi, Dodge has nothing more to do than stick the 6.1 hemi under the hood.

As for sales, yes I think the new Sliverado willmake some conquest sales of the F series and the Ram, but not to the point where they "dwindle". We all know domestic truck owners are fiercely loyal to their trucks/brands. I do however, expect plenty of conquest from would-be new Tundra buyers. Cuz that sucker is ugly.

It didn't use to matter.  But after riding in a 06 Maxima rental, I have to say that I can see how it does to some people.  Given the choice, I'm going to buy the vehicle with the nicer interior, which is why I'll probably get a Mazda3 instead of a Cobalt.

You got it. GM, despite tough competition, still release average cars. You have to beat the others, GM is aiming for a price instead of a great product. That's why they are loosing market share. Hard to attract a young buyer with a Cobalt when there is a Mazda 3 or Civic as competitor.

I think GM has to be better than that.

You got it. GM, despite tough competition, still release average cars. You have to beat the others, GM is aiming for a price instead of a great product. That's why they are loosing market share. Hard to attract a young buyer with a Cobalt when there is a Mazda 3 or Civic as competitor.

I think GM has to be better than that.

i remember when GM said they couldnt lower the price of their vehicles because they'd make everyone go out of business... they had a 50% market share when their product was superior and the most expensive...

now they are aiming at being the greatest value... a compeletly different market... not to mention a small market... no one wants the vehicle thats got the cheapest price, they want the one with the most useable features, the one with the most elegant styling, the one with the most comfort, on the eyes and erogonomics...

cars arent rational decisions... they arent finanially sound decisions... so if your going to make a bad decision, make it a good one...wealthy people dont buy mercedies and cadillacs because they represent a good value. people purchase the best vehicle in the class they need. very few want the $6999 kia rio special...

look at the Tahoes and Suburbans, they are the best vehicles in their class, and they also command some of the highest prices in the industry... not to mention they are the best selling suv's and that GM has a +62% marketshare in the fullsize SUV market...

if GM could do with its cars what it does with its SUV's we'd be in fantastic shape...

Edited by Newbiewar

Ford and Dodge are hardlly outdated. Ford still has by farthe nicest interior, and the most towing capacity I think. WIll this change when the new SIlverado hits the streets? Well, maybe, but the Ford's got a damn good interior. As for Dodge? Outdated? Hardly. It's got the sharpest handling of the full sizers, the only one with a NAV system (though the new interior is only OK), it's built well fromw hat I've heard, and it currently has the most powerful V8 in it's class with MDS. If the chevy gets something with more powerful than the 5.7 litre hemi, Dodge has nothing more to do than stick the 6.1 hemi under the hood.

As for sales, yes I think the new Sliverado willmake some conquest sales of the F series and the Ram, but not to the point where they "dwindle". We all know domestic truck owners are fiercely loyal to their trucks/brands. I do however, expect plenty of conquest from would-be new Tundra buyers. Cuz that sucker is ugly.

Ford F-series trucks are heading into their 3rd year, Dodge trucks just got a facelift. I'll have to dig out the article but I read, Dodge revised their trucks for fear that the new GMT900's were going to be THAT good. Ford trucks are number 1 sure, probably will be forever, but I predict these new Silverado's and Sierra's to pull a few sales away.

And the Tundra IS ugly. It is also a tonka toy compared to the real trucks fromr the US. Nissan is just cheap and unreliable from trucks to cars.

Hmm...interesting..first time I can think of where the GM full size trucks and SUVs didn't have the same dash design within the same generation. Doesn't look as nice as the Tahoe, IMHO...looks too utilitarian..

Hopefully, the 'professional grade' GMCs will be more upscale and less gray plastic inside..

Edited by moltar

Ford F-series trucks are heading into their 3rd year, Dodge trucks just got a facelift. I'll have to dig out the article but I read, Dodge revised their trucks for fear that the new GMT900's were going to be THAT good. Ford trucks are number 1 sure, probably will be forever, but I predict these new Silverado's and Sierra's to pull a few sales away.

And the Tundra IS ugly. It is also a tonka toy compared to the real trucks fromr the US. Nissan is just cheap and unreliable from trucks to cars.

It wasn't fear, it was time for the Ram's midcycle refresh. There's nothing wrong with being competetive. Also, the new face is only part of the story.

Dodge has significantly updated its full-size Ram pickup this year with a new body style, new luxury-oriented features and enhanced hardware. The big news, so to speak, is a new super-sized Mega Cab model. It features a 20-inch-longer cabin to provide best-in-class interior room. All Ram 1500s feature a new dash, center console, seats and radios. A navigation system and a rear-seat DVD entertainment system are newly optional. Hardware updates include a stiffened frame and, for 4WD models, a new independent front suspension (excluding the Mega Cab) and a front-axle disconnect system tied into a new electronic transfer case. Dodge has also fitted the Ram's 5.7-liter V8 with a multidisplacement cylinder deactivation system that's said to improve fuel economy in certain driving situations. Wrapping things up for the 2006 Ram is freshened front-end styling and new wheels

Can't fault Dodge for keeping the Ram up to date, unlike a certain other company who has let their Silverado more or less rot until now.

I agree and said the new GMT900s will no doubt pull some sales from Dodge and Ford, but it's the imports that will be hit hardest (particularly Toyota). I feel sorta bad for Nissan, unlike Toyota, they didn't half-ass their Titan, and made a REAL truck. They deserve some sales with it.

Edited by Dodgefan