Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe

Drew Dowdell

2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe

post-51-12589489613945.png

[/font]

LOS ANGELES – Cadillac today unveiled the 2011 CTS Coupe, the latest and most dramatic of the brand's series of new designs to reach production. Slated to arrive in Cadillac showrooms in the spring of 2010, the CTS Coupe is a new luxury sports coupe designed to become the centerpiece of the brand's revised lineup."CTS Coupe is the new focal point of Cadillac, expressing both our design and technical capabilities," said Bryan Nesbitt, Cadillac general manager. "It is intended to appeal to a new generation of car enthusiasts."

The Coupe joins the CTS Sport Sedan, the 556-horsepower (415 kW) CTS-V and new CTS Sport Wagon as the foundation of Cadillac's lineup. A high-performance V-Series edition of the Coupe will also be released in 2010. The CTS Coupe's design carries over virtually unchanged from the concept car that was introduced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in 2008. The Coupe is a classic 2+2 layout bolstered with advanced technology, such as a rear-view camera system and a performance-oriented suspension system coupled to rear-wheel or all-wheel drive.

post-51-12589487401422.png

Design

CTS Coupe emerged as a proposal inside Cadillac's design studio, where designers have developed and evolved the brand's Art and Science design philosophy. "Cadillac has always been an emotional brand – it's about delivering art regardless of body style," said Max Wolff, director of exterior design for Cadillac. "With the CTS Coupe, it was about taking something very strong – the CTS Sport Sedan – and extending its potential."

The coupe has the same wheelbase as the CTS, but an overall height that is approximately two inches (51 mm) lower and an overall length that is two inches (51 mm) shorter. Although it draws from its sport sedan sister, the CTS Coupe shares only the instrument panel, console, headlamps, front fenders and grille.

Key design features include:

• Classic hardtop styling, with no conventional B-pillar
  • Touch-pad operation for the doors removes the need for conventional door handles, creating a technical, clean profile
  • A windshield laid at a faster angle (62.3 degrees) and a long, nearly horizontal backglass area combine to create a sleek, aerodynamic look
  • Sculpted lower front fascia with unique brake-cooling vents
  • Diamond cut-style rear fascia with mesh lower grilles
  • Center-outlet exhaust with twin dihedral-shaped tips that pass through the rear fascia
  • Signature vertical lighting, highlighted with LED light pipes
  • Rear spoiler integrated into the center high-mounted stop lamp
  • Sculpted roof-mounted antenna for OnStar and XM Satellite Radio.

At first glance, the shape of CTS Coupe is refreshingly simple, yet amplified with intricately carved details. Distinctive and original Cadillac signature cues combine with hand-sculpted forms, artfully articulating the confidence of the chassis. For example, the rear fenders were purposefully developed by hand in Cadillac design studios to visually acknowledge the RWD powertrain. The gestured profile, coupled with Cadillac's vertical taillamps and pronounced rear centerline, aim to achieve the most visually confident coupe in the segment.

post-51-12589487681823.png

Performance

The CTS Coupe extends Cadillac's emerging performance credentials. The CTS Coupe's standard powertrain consists of a direct injected 3.6L V-6 and six-speed manual transmission. Direct injection technology delivers fuel more precisely to increase the efficiency of combustion, enabling more power while maintaining fuel economy and lowering emissions – including a 25-percent drop in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions.

The 3.6L DI engine is rated at 304 horsepower (227 kW) and offers EPA-estimated fuel economy of 27 mpg on the highway. It also runs on less expensive regular unleaded gasoline. The powertrain's performance is channeled through a chassis that delivers sports car performance without punishment. The hardware includes an independent short/long arm (SLA) front suspension system, with hydraulic control arm front bushings; and a multi-link rear suspension mounted on a fully isolated subframe. Also included are four-wheel disc performance brakes, premium steering and limited-slip differential. Two suspension-tuning levels are available: a Performance Package with 18-inch wheels and all-season tires (available in both RWD and AWD,) and the Summer Tire Performance Package, with 19-inch tires and wheels and a higher level of road holding capability. StabiliTrak, the advanced electronic chassis control system, is standard.

The 304-horsepower (227 kW) 3.6L V-6 Direct Injection engine will be standard, equipped with a six-speed manual, featuring a revised clutch and dual-mass flywheel that offers better clutch pedal feel and improved engine isolation. A 6-speed automatic transmission with Driver Shift Control (and available steering wheel mounted shift buttons) is optional.

post-51-12589487988667.png

Technology

CTS Coupe blends handcrafted luxury with a contemporary, driver-focused interior that supports the car's high-performance capabilities. The interior includes hand-sewn accents covering the door, center storage console and instrument panel trim. 14-Way adjustable Recaro sport seats, previously exclusively offered on Cadillac's V-Series model, will be offered on all CTS Coupe models as an option.

The car offers a host of advanced technologies, including:

• Integrated iPod/MP3 capability
  • 40-gig hard drive, including the ability to store music and pause-and-replay live radio
  • Pop-up navigation system
  • Adaptive forward lighting system
  • Bluetooth connectivity
  • Standard Keyless Access and Smart Remote Start
  • Rear Camera system
  • Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround™ audio system

As with other Cadillac models, the CTS Coupe comes standard with OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation, the first factory-installed, fully integrated GPS navigation system from OnStar.

post-51-12589490002525.png

[/left]

it does look a bit tall. actually, how is one supposed to clean the inside of that back window at the base once it gets all cloudy from offgassing?

here is the deal, its gorgeous, stunning, etc. but i almost wonder if i wouldn't like to see this thing with a little more hood, longer trunk, less greenhouse.

cadillac has got to be happy now that they have the CTS wagon and coupe on line, and the new SRX. imagine if they had the new DTS and ATS in a year or so to chase this down.

Well it is very nice. I would have preferred a bit better delineated deck area, it is kind of hatchback-y. Also, they say it has "no" B-pillar, but clearly it is just hidden behind the quarter glass, I'm sure the quarter glass cannot be retracted. And it's a good thing it has a back-up camera.

Now I really want to see at least some real-world photos from the show floor, and of course in person to form a complete judgment.

I am very happy to see three bodystyles come back to market from one nameplate. I hope they sell a decent amount of each style and that, in turn, justifies to the bean counters a multiple-bodystyle strategy throughout the new, smaller company.

I like it. E-Class Coupe just got a new competitor. :)

I would like to see the trunk lower for visibility purposes, but then I'm concerned that the overall look of the car would be compromised.

Also, this would be the perfect application for an intermediate engine before the V-Series. 3.6TT, perhaps?

It is a bit tall, especially in the back. Having said that I am getting a "fast back" Mustang/Gran Turino kind of vibe even from the high rear hatch and the way the window flows into the trunk. This is one HOT car, and I love the rear fascia with the exhaust popping out of the body panel! I hope it sells well enough the so they can give us one with the next generation CTS, anyone up for a droptop?

Edited by gm4life

I am very happy to see three bodystyles come back to market from one nameplate. I hope they sell a decent amount of each style and that, in turn, justifies to the bean counters a multiple-bodystyle strategy throughout the new, smaller company.

This is the part that matters to me. Caddy just isn't my thing, but the way they are doing the CTS lineup most certainly is.

I had some hope that they would've fixed the tall profile by the way some of the camo photos looked, but the production model seems to be as tall as the concept was. I love the coupe's detailing, but like the LaCrosse, they went too extreme and too polarizing when it comes to the body profile. Both the LaCrosse and CTS Coupe have more of a Japanese vibe from the side.

Here are side profiles done the right way

Audi_A5_Senner_6.JPG

bmw-6-series-coupe-1.jpg

Compared to this

112_0901_06z+2010_buick_lacrosse+side_view.jpg

Edited by mustang84

The CTS Coupe looks great! Good work keeping the production version close to the concept car. The Recaro Seats, paddle shifters and back-up camera are the icing on the cake! The bold styling, great size and complete package make for an extraordinary car that is true to Cadillac's heritage! I'll be anxious to trade my '08 CTS-4 for this car!

How come the press release for this brags about integrated spoiler, LED tail lights and sculpted XM radio antenna, while the 5-series press release has stuff like 5-link suspension, rear steering, self parking, top view cameras, regenerative braking, aluminum body panels, and 8-speed transmission in it.

I like the CTS Sedan more, the coupe looks too much like a wedge of cheese from the side.

How come the press release for this brags about integrated spoiler, LED tail lights and sculpted XM radio antenna, while the 5-series press release has stuff like 5-link suspension, rear steering, self parking, top view cameras, regenerative braking, aluminum body panels, and 8-speed transmission in it.

I like the CTS Sedan more, the coupe looks too much like a wedge of cheese from the side.

Maybe because the CTS outperforms the 5-series and the 5-series will have to prove that it is the better car?

All these gears remind me of big rigs. You really never need that many gears when you are hauling 80,000 lbs, so why so many in a car?

Maybe because the CTS outperforms the 5-series and the 5-series will have to prove that it is the better car?

All these gears remind me of big rigs. You really never need that many gears when you are hauling 80,000 lbs, so why so many in a car?

It's not just about being honestly good. It's about pandering to the yuppies crowd. Less is never more for them.

To get a better Idea how tall this car is, it is 4" lower than the CTS sedan. I think the tall trunk, and door panels just gives it that look in photos. It is not as tall as it appears here, wait till you see it in person. Also it is longer than it appears. The short back really makes you forget it has the same wheel base as the Sedan.

Remember this was not a post Chapter 11 car and they had to fit as much of the Sedan in this car as they could. That limited some of their options.

To clean the rear window all you need is one of the window wipes on a handel. I already have to use on in the GTP in the corners where I can not get my fingers.

Any good design will leave have loving it and half hating it. As time goes on the half that hate starts to let the design grow on them. In the end three quarters ends up ok with it. This is the kind of car the the 63 Riv was. It will change the way GM designs cars in the future. It breaks many GM rules on sight lines etc and let them go places they have not been since Harley Earl.

At least it is not a clone of a German car as so many are.

The press will like it except for some comprimises with the roof line. GM will have no issue selling these. If anything it just raised the bar on the new AWD sedan we are expecting. If they can pull off a updated AWD Sixteen styled car it will place Cadillac back on the map.

So far GM is proving many wrong on what cars they were going to bring us. Now lets just hope the people trust enough and love them enough to put down their money.

One thing in Cadillacs favore is people are now moving down in cars. They are more often replacing cars with less expensive models. This plays right into Cadillac hands. WSJ had a story on the down spending a few weeks ago.

Edited by hyperv6

I feel like I should clarify a bit.

Just because A&S styling isn't my cup-o-tea, doesn't mean it isn't right for the CTS family and Caddy in general. It is a strong design language that fits what Caddy wants to project at this time.

With styling out of the way, I wholly endorse the mission, mechanics, diversity, and execution of all the CTS variants. Multiple bodystyles and trim levels available in each bodystyle is just what I want to see.

These are very,very, good Cadillacs that just need complimentary lot mates.

Saw the CTS wagon at the local Caddy dealer last weekend...gorgeous.

This bada$$ coupe makes my mouth water. I actually want to lick the car. Oh my, did I really just share that?

I had some hope that they would've fixed the tall profile by the way some of the camo photos looked, but the production model seems to be as tall as the concept was. I love the coupe's detailing, but like the LaCrosse, they went too extreme and too polarizing when it comes to the body profile. Both the LaCrosse and CTS Coupe have more of a Japanese vibe from the side.

Here are side profiles done the right way

Audi_A5_Senner_6.JPG

bmw-6-series-coupe-1.jpg

Compared to this

112_0901_06z+2010_buick_lacrosse+side_view.jpg

To me, these pictures make a great point. The 6 just looks dated, but the other three look good in my opinion. I also think that none of these are extremely flattering profiles in the picture, but in person I know at least the Buick and Audi are gorgeous...

Saw the CTS wagon at the local Caddy dealer last weekend...gorgeous.

This bada$$ coupe makes my mouth water. I actually want to lick the car. Oh my, did I really just share that?

I don't blame you...I'll be waiting to lick one at my local dealership...

it needs the CTS-V engine as a option to be a serious contender for a performance coupe.might even get me out of my 2008 corvette

From the original article:

A high-performance V-Series edition of the Coupe will also be released in 2010.

I had some hope that they would've fixed the tall profile by the way some of the camo photos looked, but the production model seems to be as tall as the concept was.

To get a better Idea how tall this car is, it is 4" lower than the CTS sedan. I think the tall trunk, and door panels just gives it that look in photos. It is not as tall as it appears here, wait till you see it in person. Also it is longer than it appears. The short back really makes you forget it has the same wheel base as the Sedan.

Understandable, that a coupe version would have noticeable differences since it doesn't share any panel-work. To me, it's the beefiness of the rear quarter below the pillar that gives me that impression of height. In fact, and I chuckle when I say this because it really doesn't matter anyway, but that view above makes the rear tires appear smaller than the fronts.

Understandable, that a coupe version would have noticeable differences since it doesn't share any panel-work. To me, it's the beefiness of the rear quarter below the pillar that gives me that impression of height. In fact, and I chuckle when I say this because it really doesn't matter anyway, but that view above makes the rear tires appear smaller than the fronts.

Yes, the roof is lower, but the body below the greenhouse is probably the same height or more as the sedan (since the front fenders are shared). It's the trend today, very high decklids and thick bodies...details I noticed strongly on the new Taurus and MKS...the doors are huge from the beltline down to the bottom, they looked as a big as doors on a full size van, taller than my Jeep doors they looked...and the decklid seemed almost up to my chin :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar