Viridian Joule

Viridian Joule

Flordia Man Wins Contest to Name Volt's Color

gallery_253_2_159230.jpg

o Consumers determined the winner

o Nearly 3,000 consumers voted for their favorite name

o ‘Viridian Joule’ led all finalists in consumer voting since Nov. 16

o Winning name announced today in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES – David Thomas, 40, of Sanford, Fla., has won Chevrolet’s national contest to name the Volt’s lead paint color and the opportunity to be the first consumer to test-drive a pre-production Volt. Nearly 3,000 people cast their votes at chevroletvoltage.com for Thomas’ “Viridian Joule.” Voting ended at 8 a.m. ET and Chevrolet announced the winner in Los Angeles.

“I looked at the photo of the Volt on the contest web site and thought it looked emerald in color, which led to jewel and then to an alternate yet appropriate play on that word – joule (a unit of electrical energy),” said Thomas.

Although it was a close race among the three finalists throughout the contest, “Viridian Joule” led throughout the Nov. 16 to Dec. 1 voting period. Chevrolet also selected “EV-ergreen,” offered by Devin McQuarrie, 30, of San Jose, Calif., and “environMINT,” entered by Matthew Valbuena, 30, of Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., as finalists. About 300 votes separated “Viridian Joule” from the second-place entry, “environMINT.”

Thomas traveled to L.A. and joined the two California-based finalists for the announcement.

“This was a fun way to engage Chevrolet and Volt enthusiasts by inviting them into the process and naming our lead color, and the name reflects the innovation of the Volt’s extended-range technology,” said Maria Rohrer, Global Volt and Global Marketing Director at Chevrolet. “When our Volt marketing materials arrive in dealerships, you’ll see “Viridian Joule” as the official name of the silver exterior with an emerald hue.”

Chevrolet narrowed down nearly 13,000 name entries to the three finalists, judging them on originality, creativity and the ability to capture the innovation and spirit of the Volt. About 27,000 people – or half of all visitors to www.chevroletvoltage.com during the Oct. 22 to Nov. 4 entry period – submitted a color name.

A sales representative for an awards and promotions company in the Orlando area, Thomas is originally from Southeast Michigan and has family ties to the auto industry. He submitted several color names, but “Viridian Joule” wasn’t his first entry.

The Chevy Volt is an electric vehicle with extended-range capability. It is designed to drive up to 40 miles on electricity without using gasoline or producing tailpipe emissions. When the Volt’s lithium-ion battery is depleted of energy, an engine/generator seamlessly operates to extend the total driving range to about 300 miles before refueling or stopping to recharge the battery.

Production for the Volt is expected to begin in late 2010. Pricing has not been announced.

That one will just roll off the tongue.

Few will ever catch the Play on joule in any part of the country. Most people can't name who the VP of the country is let alone know what joule means.

I hope GM did'nt spend too much time or money on this little exercise.

That one will just roll off the tongue.

Few will ever catch the Play on joule in any part of the country. Most people can't name who the VP of the country is let alone know what joule means.

I know what a 'joule' is...learned that in high school physics.

When I read the headline, I assumed 'Viridian Joule' was the name of the Florida man that won.

I thought the same thing. I was looking forward to finding out the name of the color as I was opening the thread... whoops.

Viridian... wow, thats obscure.

I know what a 'joule' is...learned that in high school physics.

I would rather expect you also could nake the Vice President by name too. You are in the minority of this country and be glad of it!

Even the people who majored in Theology at Collage may not make a lot of money but at least they know why!

Edited by hyperv6

I think most Americans would think of their level 7 Charmander if they read or hear the word 'Viridian' so it's not very effective. However, 'silver' would be super effective.

I thought I remembered "viridian" from somewhere... :P

I thought lead paint had been banned for years..there are always these news stories about recalls for lead paint for toys made in China..

Lead paint is banned for toys and house paint. I'm not so sure about industrial uses or automotive paint use.

Its not that lead is so bad, its that it has a sweet taste and children like to eat it. We used to make 'lead sugar' and eat it. We just don't want it in massive quantities in the body and environment. Leaded gas and latex paint chips tend to put lead in harm's way. I don't think automotive paint would be a huge source of contamination in the environment.

Of course, I don't think there is reason to put lead in auto paint... and GM's PR people would not want it anymore than asbestos seat covers. Its simply that its the other definition of the word 'lead'... as in 'to lead somewhere'. A better phrase would been: the Volt's featured paint color.

I'm pretty sure paint on cars is not lead based. I remember reading in a thread about the 80s and the water base paint problems.

I'm pretty sure, as well. Lead was used as a pigment, due to its whiteness and opaqueness. Its not really the 'base' of the paint, as in 'water-based', as I understand it.

Well Now ...For all you dumbass Amerikans who been eat'in the Paint off your Caddy's & Chevy's for dinner, cuz someone said "it look good 'nuf ta EAT"...: :facepalm:

The newly chosen name seems apropos. Dictionary.com describes viridian as "a long-lasting, bluish-green pigment, consisting of a hydrated oxide of chromium." A joule is the SI unit of energy.

:suburban:

...OH, Yeah I did submit a name too :

DETROIT METAL

:roflmao::firebird::neenerneener:

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL