P.I.T.A.

Cory Wolfe

I'm beginning to really dislike the Cutlass. It's turning into more of a continuing problem than a solution.

I think the transmission might be starting to go. It's hesitating more and more and is becoming quite clunky. The other night, it gave me a scare as it did not want to shift at all. I'm thinking it just got too hot at the time, but the fluid on the dipstick had black residue on it while the fluid itself matched the paint, a reddish brown. It didn't seem to be overly low on fluid, though. Low, but not low enough to cause those sort of problems. As long as it doesn't return to the state it was in that night, it'll be driveable, but I have a feeling this is a sign of things to come. I'm hoping that changing the fluid will help some.

As well, I hate carbureted engines with an everlasting passion. I really do. Between never ending dieseling issues and impossible cold engine idling with a terrible misfire, it's annoying. Not to mention, they are horribly inefficient. This past week, these problems have been escalating. As a result, I'm getting poor gas mileage and there's some light smoking from the exhaust. While I'd like to blame this on the carburetor, solely, but something has to be causing it to become so dirty. Cleaning it obviously isn't a lasting solution as it only went a month without problems. An industrial supply of carb cleaner is in order.

Oh, and heater sucks. It's hottest setting is lukewarm at best and the fan is weak. It lets in alot of fumes, too.

Anyways, I cannot wait to get back into my Millenia. I need a real car. :wink: :P

What were you expecting from a 24 year old car that you got for 400 bucks? I'm confused? :blink:

Perfection. :P

It was more like $550 after all was said and done. More or less, something to drive uneventfully. As well, a few of you guys pinned this car as being "perfect" for me. I don't think it's quite living up to either.

Flybrian is right. Did we expect perfection for that amount of money? You never buy an old car and expect it to just run and not need anything. Anyone that tells you that they bought a car for $500 that didnt need something is talking out of their ---. I never bought one of my B-bodies that didnt need something. Sometimes they need quite a bit but the parts are cheap and things are easyier to do on these old mid-size and full-size cars than most others. As for the heating did you cheack the thermostat to see that its working? If it is stuck open it will cause a lot of problems. Poor heating,long warmup times,poor fuel economy to name a few. This can also cause the smoking if its running rich. Make sure the choke is opening the way it should after you make sure about the thermostat. I have proven there is nothing wrong with a carbureted car if it is set up right. My 1979 Impala worked fine on a lot of -15 mornings.

Viper, if you re-read my posts from back then, you'll see I said it would be easier to fix if something happens than the Grand Am or Millenia. It would have been a good idea to change the transmission fluid before you put it on the road to start with, as a preventative maintenance thing. And it is a lot easier to fix a carburetor with issues than a fuel-injected car. Please just be patient, get your dad to help you work through these seemingly minor issues, and keep on riding. Check that thermostat, like Equinox said, and also... it can only help to do a complete tune-up, with plugs, wires, distributor parts, a fuel filter, etc. I mean, you told us the car sat for a good while before you found it. Edited by ocnblu

90% of the problms you are complaining about can be fixed BY YOURSELF for pennies on the dollar comapred to the Millenia.

While you don't get much for $500 I've bought much better old Ameican beaters for less.... then again

that's kind of my special talent. This car sounds like my rusty, tired, 140K mile $200 winter beater

Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance that I had in 2002. Same basic issues.

For the record, this is NOT an indication of the best deal out there for that kind of money! I bet if you

gave me two weeks and $400 I'd find a very solid and decent Gbody coupe. You gotta take your time

and look at 20 cars before you find that one diamond inn the rough. I probably called about two dozen

cars on craigslist before I came upon the Banana Boat, and I narrowed my search down and bought

the '76 LeSabre after having looked at a whole bunch of old 70s/80s boats. Law of averages, you can

not expect to find a great deal after searching craigslist for 15 min.

I'm not a genuis, I don't have many talents but I am cheap and I love to work on old cars and as a

result I have developed a special talent when it comes to finding cool cars for under $1000. These

days most cars at dealerships for under $4000 are pieces of $h!. They may be new-ish but I'd rather

kill myself than drive a 1999 Hyundai Elantra or a 2002 Kia Rio. F*** that.

Instead I take my $1K or sometimes even less, and I find the BEST, cleanest, well-running classic

or semi-classis car out there, with an owner desperate to sell. It's amazing how these deals come

together. The '76 LeSabre was advertised for $1300 o.b.o. when I went to go take a look at it. But

the owner REALLY needed to sell and so I gave him my number and eventually when he REALLY

needed it gone we settled on a great price. Sure I had to do all the accessory belts, clean the carb,

reinstall the stainless steel trim and rattle-can paint the bottoms of the rear 1/4 but I got a very

soild car with NONE of the issues you described.

cleaning the carb won't help with dieseling issues if the carb is out of adjustment. the smoke out the back means it's probably running a bit rich... and that is supported by the dieseling.

you definitely want to check the thermostat like OCN said, a stuck open or closed thermostat can cause lots of problems, and it's a cheap and relatively easy fix. How is the coolant level? is the coolant fresh? not enough coolant and your heater is the first thing that goes.

get the transmission fluid AND filter changed.

I bet this car can easily be saved for a lot less than what it will take to get the Millenia back on the road.

Oldsmoboi is right, of course, about what he says. I guess I take for granted you need to change the transmission filter when you drop the pan to change the fluid. Get yourself a filter and pan gasket kit, of course. This kind of stuff can be very satisfying to do yourself, if you have the right tools. Do you have a set of ramps?

I'm sorry Vipes...but for crying out loud, for someone who claims to be a car person, you sure dont seem to take any pleasure in having a car that needs a little TLC. Ask any gear head I know, including myself what they enjoy most about owning an older car, and I can bet you 85% of them will say working on them and keeping them running right. Thats part of the experience in owning an older car. You're complaing about MINOR issues here, not a blown motor, or blown tranny, or a frame thats rotted and is beginning to crack. Take some pride in your car and treat it to some repairs before you talk out of your ass about how it's a piece of $h!. I seriously dont understand how you can be more excited to get the Milly back on the road, its as non descript as you can get, it has no redeeming value of any kind and surely wont garner so much as a quick glance by a passerby in the next 5-10 years. The Cutlass however has had and always will have a huge following...and for a reason, there's a special feeling in an Oldsmobile. Maybe it's time you took the time to realize that and start enjoying your car.

Just my :twocents:

AGREED (last 2 posts)

And... for the record a complete proffessional carb rebuild will cost you $100-$120.

That's probably less than an oil chnage & a set of wiper blades at the local Mazda dealer!!! <_<

If I was into Fieros like BV I'd think that was the deal of a lifetime!

But the next non-B59 I buy for $4500 will be one of two cars:

- 1961 Cadillac two-door hardtop

- Prewar GM car, or possibly a Mopar. (something pre-war... 1928-37-ish)

There was a '62 Electra 225 and a '54 Lincoln Capri that I would've loved. Lots of Camaros, MOPAR Hemis, and other typical stuff that honestly didn't really interest me. A few nice cars, though. Some fool wanted $1000 for a '78 Grand Am with no A/C, jinked suspension, a hood that wouldn't close, and the most destroyed paint job/surface rust ever. Riiiight...

I'm sorry Vipes...but for crying out loud, for someone who claims to be a car person, you sure dont seem to take any pleasure in having a car that needs a little TLC. Ask any gear head I know, including myself what they enjoy most about owning an older car, and I can bet you 85% of them will say working on them and keeping them running right. Thats part of the experience in owning an older car. You're complaing about MINOR issues here, not a blown motor, or blown tranny, or a frame thats rotted and is beginning to crack. Take some pride in your car and treat it to some repairs before you talk out of your ass about how it's a piece of &#036;h&#33;. I seriously dont understand how you can be more excited to get the Milly back on the road, its as non descript as you can get, it has no redeeming value of any kind and surely wont garner so much as a quick glance by a passerby in the next 5-10 years. The Cutlass however has had and always will have a huge following...and for a reason, there's a special feeling in an Oldsmobile. Maybe it's time you took the time to realize that and start enjoying your car.

Just my :twocents:

It's posts like yours that really show me how cynical some of you guys are.

First off, don't read into everything so seriously. I say alot of things in jest and those who get that are the ones I get along with best. Others are too busy going off on their little rants, getting offensive, and making unjust proclamations. As well, many of you are too full of yourselves to see beyond it. I'm sure some find that comment ironic coming from me and it would only prove my point. Other posts in this thread were perfectly fine. They had helpful suggestions, which is what I was looking for. Take a hint.

Secondly, and this ties in with my above comments, you cannot speak for all automotive enthusiasts. Being one does not constitute being a "personal mechanic". The reasons for which I am into cars is the look, feel, and pleasure that comes from driving. Working and repairing them has never piqued my interests. I have no desire to become a mechanic. My forte has never been to fix up old beaters. I am a designer and a driver. I'm not a gear head, and being one doesn't make me any more of an enthusiast.

Thirdly, also tying in with previous statements, where have I said that I thought the Cutlass was a piece of &#036;h&#33;? Where have I said that I didn't enjoy it? My comments in this and the other thread were clear sarcasm. I don't hate the car at all. I've had fun driving it. Is it a pain in the ass, though? No doubt. This isn't some car I expected to fix up and turn into a weekend car. It's a daily driver that I have to run everyday without fault. I wasn't looking for a fixer-upper, merely something on the cheap side that would be able to get me from point A to point B. No matter how much it may pain you to realize this, but my Millenia was by far a better car to rely on. As well, I am sick of this insane assumption that my Millenia is inferior. I realize you guys are a bunch of GM fans, but pull your heads out of your asses. Your comments reek of ignorance. The sooner you see the light and come to terms with your unrelenting bias, the quicker you will begin to look like the opposite of a retard. Millenias are stylish, have redeeming value, garner praise, have a huge following, and just have this special feel. Perhaps it's time you grew beyond your one track mind and learn to value that a non-GM, non-domestic vehicle can be loved by many.

Two cents? More like trash. I sometimes wonder why I bother. I love C&G and it's members, but certain personalities really drag down the place. It makes coming here not nearly as enjoyable as it was in the past. I guess being relatively unbiased and open minded is frowned upon here. It seems that the more I grew out of being a GM supporter under all circumstances, the less respect I get here, even though I'm still an avid fan. I still wonder why I stick around. I can't say anything without some sort of backlash anymore. As much as I'd miss you guys, I doubt I'd be missed. I know I've become a better person over the years... So I just don't understand.

Thanks to those with helpful suggestions. Your posts are appreciated.

First off, don't read into everything so seriously. I say alot of things in jest and those who get that are the ones I get along with best. Others are too busy going off on their little rants, getting offensive, and making unjust proclamations. As well, many of you are too full of yourselves to see beyond it. I'm sure some find that comment ironic coming from me and it would only prove my point. Other posts in this thread were perfectly fine. They had helpful suggestions, which is what I was looking for. Take a hint.

Secondly, and this ties in with my above comments, you cannot speak for all automotive enthusiasts. Being one does not constitute being a "personal mechanic". The reasons for which I am into cars is the look, feel, and pleasure that comes from driving. Working and repairing them has never piqued my interests. I have no desire to become a mechanic. My forte has never been to fix up old beaters. I am a designer and a driver. I'm not a gear head, and being one doesn't make me any more of an enthusiast.

Thirdly, also tying in with previous statements, where have I said that I thought the Cutlass was a piece of &#036;h&#33;? Where have I said that I didn't enjoy it? My comments in this and the other thread were clear sarcasm. I don't hate the car at all. I've had fun driving it. Is it a pain in the ass, though? No doubt. This isn't some car I expected to fix up and turn into a weekend car. It's a daily driver that I have to run everyday without fault. I wasn't looking for a fixer-upper, merely something on the cheap side that would be able to get me from point A to point B. No matter how much it may pain you to realize this, but my Millenia was by far a better car to rely on. As well, I am sick of this insane assumption that my Millenia is inferior. I realize you guys are a bunch of GM fans, but pull your heads out of your asses. Your comments reek of ignorance. The sooner you see the light and come to terms with your unrelenting bias, the quicker you will begin to look like the opposite of a retard. Millenias are stylish, have redeeming value, garner praise, have a huge following, and just have this special feel. Perhaps it's time you grew beyond your one track mind and learn to value that a non-GM, non-domestic vehicle can be loved by many.

Two cents? More like trash. I sometimes wonder why I bother. I love C&G and it's members, but certain personalities really drag down the place. It makes coming here not nearly as enjoyable as it was in the past. I guess being relatively unbiased and open minded is frowned upon here. It seems that the more I grew out of being a GM supporter under all circumstances, the less respect I get here, even though I'm still an avid fan. I still wonder why I stick around. I can't say anything without some sort of backlash anymore. As much as I'd miss you guys, I doubt I'd be missed. I know I've become a better person over the years... So I just don't understand.

Ah, I wouldn't wory too much about it, BV.

You know how old guys and rants are.... :AH-HA_wink:

I just have to remember to take everything here with a grain of salt, beacuse not everyone understands everyone, and sometimes it's hard to really know what everyone is thinking......

I think somtimes people here forget that we come here for a REASON. :)

Oh, and don't forget to fix the Olds.... :AH-HA_wink:

Has the weather changed a lot there?

If so, that's probably the problem with the carb. When the weather changes here, my Camaros go from running well to running like &#036;h&#33; unless I adjust their carbureators. Seriously, it makes a huge difference especially if it's been 'tuned' or messed with any for performance purposes.

If the carb doesn't need a rebuild, it basically takes a screwdriver and about 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

FWIW, what you are experiencing is pretty normal. Anyone with an older car will tell you that. It's a love/hate relationship and it'll get better with time. Right now, you're just working the quirks out of the car and that can be torture when you don't have a lot of $$$ or knowledge. (I've been there and still am there in the $$$ respect) Don't give up on the car though, it just has a lot of personality :)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

:lol:

Look, obviously you took offense by my comments, so apparently this isnt the first time you've heard something along these lines. I like you bv, so there is no need to start saying its people like me that bring C&G down, I've been a member here long enough now not to have my character brought into question. Taking personal attacks on me for giving my personal opinion of your comments on the Cutlass dosent exactly make you look any better than what you're trying to make me out to be. Now as far as saying the Cutlass is "a piece of &#036;h&#33;" I'm sure you know saying the exact words isnt always needed to get your point across. I mean it's pretty obvious what you're hinting at, whether it be sarcasm or not. As just about every post in this thread has shown, most everyone who read this thread, seems to have gotten the same impression from you. As far as being a gear head goes, theres nothing wrong with not being one, however you make it sound as though we are some form of sub species because you are a "designer and a driver" well hell so am I....I spent my childhood designing cars and I drive my car everyday :AH-HA_wink:

Last as far as your Millenia goes, see the defensive nature you take with it? refer to my entire original post about an Oldsmobile....and maybe you'll see why.

Edited by Delta Force79

Ah, I wouldn't wory too much about it, BV.

You know how old guys and rants are.... :AH-HA_wink:

I just have to remember to take everything here with a grain of salt, beacuse not everyone understands everyone, and sometimes it's hard to really know what everyone is thinking......

I think somtimes people here forget that we come here for a REASON. :)

Oh, and don't forget to fix the Olds.... :AH-HA_wink:

I'm only 24....but no I'm not a typical kid, i enjoy real cars.

Thanks. Fixing it or not isn't a choice. I have to. I need it to get to work every day. How else am I going to afford to fix it and my Millenia in the first place? :P

You got a job BV? Congrats--tell me about it. :)

I'm only 24....but no I'm not a typical kid, i enjoy real cars.

It's ok DF- the comment wasn't toward you-it was in general. (unless you have an old man's alter ego.. :P )

We all have our moments...

And there are many of us "old men" on C&C..... :yes:

It's cool that we have ages that are all over the place...though sometimes it can drive you nuts... :AH-HA_wink:

Pretty much what the others suggested, a tranny flush and thermostat may help a lot.

Before we finally replaced the carb on the Caravan, it would run very rough and sometimes stall when it was cold because the choke would not work properly until warmed up. We had a push button cable that would force the choke to stay open while it was cold so it wouldn't stall. Eventually when we got a rebuilt carb it made a world of a difference. I dunno if you need a new carb, just my experience with carburetted engines.

Couple of questions...first, where do work and when did you get the job? I keep missing this bit of information. Second, the part you need for the Millenia...what is it...the distributor? Have you tried shopping around junkyards to see if they have any on the cheap? I don't see many of them in the junkyard but I have come across one or two...maybe there's some parts sources at one of your local junkyards?

Has the weather changed a lot there?

If so, that's probably the problem with the carb. When the weather changes here, my Camaros go from running well to running like &#036;h&#33; unless I adjust their carbureators. Seriously, it makes a huge difference especially if it's been 'tuned' or messed with any for performance purposes.

If the carb doesn't need a rebuild, it basically takes a screwdriver and about 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

FWIW, what you are experiencing is pretty normal. Anyone with an older car will tell you that. It's a love/hate relationship and it'll get better with time. Right now, you're just working the quirks out of the car and that can be torture when you don't have a lot of $$$ or knowledge. (I've been there and still am there in the $$$ respect) Don't give up on the car though, it just has a lot of personality

Yes, it's mostly been since it's gotten colder. Although, in the morning on my way to work, I won't have much trouble, but in the afternoon trying to go home, it will run like absolute &#036;h&#33;. I wondered whether the previous owner adjusted it any, as the idle shouldn't have been so high and it does seem like its running rich. That doesn't usually happen on its own. Perhaps it was to cover other problems...

Thanks.

As for the transmission not shifting, is it under normal driving, full throttle, under load, etc?

It was only the one night, but it was under normal driving, especially lower speeds. On the highway, downshifting for hills wasn't a problem.

Look, obviously you took offense by my comments, so apparently this isnt the first time you've heard something along these lines. I like you bv, so there is no need to start saying its people like me that bring C&G down, I've been a member here long enough now not to have my character brought into question. Taking personal attacks on me for giving my personal opinion of your comments on the Cutlass dosent exactly make you look any better than what you're trying to make me out to be. Now as far as saying the Cutlass is "a piece of &#036;h&#33;" I'm sure you know saying the exact words isnt always needed to get your point across. I mean it's pretty obvious what you're hinting at, whether it be sarcasm or not. As just about every post in this thread has shown, most everyone who read this thread, seems to have gotten the same impression from you. As far as being a gear head goes, theres nothing wrong with not being one, however you make it sound as though we are some form of sub species because you are a "designer and a driver" well hell so am I....I spent my childhood designing cars and I drive my car everyday

Last as far as your Millenia goes, see the defensive nature you take with it? refer to my entire original post about an Oldsmobile....and maybe you'll see why.

It aggravated me more than it offended me. I've never had a problem with you, but your post was utter nonsense. It had that cynical mindset to it. It may be your opinion, but it wasn't worth the space it took in this thread. Most other posts were completely fine and actually gave me suggestions and didn't try to attack me for innocently posting about some of the Cutlass's problems. Yours was unwarranted.

Again, I have never said it was a piece of &#036;h&#33;, nor do I think it. What I did call it was a pain in the ass, as the title states. The only thing I do think about it doesn't apply to the Cutlass itself. I could call it carbureted junk, which I most certainly think it and any other carbureted car is. I'm not a fan of them in the least. Automakers didn't switch to fuel injection because it was inferior. If I was unawarely hinting at anything, it was that. Regardless, no one else went on a tyrant about it whether they thought it or not so spare me the attempted justifications.

How in the hell did you get the idea that I think gear heads are a form of sub species? :blink::lol:

On the subject of my Millenia. What do you expect me to do? Would you let someone bad mouth a car they have no personal experience with that you know is a great car? I highly doubt it. This is more about you being biased and unable to give it a chance, as with others. When I first bought this car, only one person said bad things about it. It was Josh, which, speaks for itself. Even Sixty8 said good things about it at first, though nowadays, he's so hypocritical that I can't take anything he says about a car seriously. Millenias are no worse than any Buick sedan produced in the same time frame. As I said previously, like the Miata, they also have quite the following if you look outside your little world. Not to mention, it's not limited to the states, it's a world-wide following. Not to mention you don't see them that often, they're sort of rare, especially around here. This is why I'm so quick to defend it. I'm simply sick of all the false statements, as I'm sure you would be if the roles were reversed. I seem to remember you getting quite heated when Sixty8 made some select comments about your Riviera. Hmm... Must've been justified because it wasn't a Mazda. :huh:

Couple of questions...first, where do work and when did you get the job? I keep missing this bit of information. Second, the part you need for the Millenia...what is it...the distributor? Have you tried shopping around junkyards to see if they have any on the cheap? I don't see many of them in the junkyard but I have come across one or two...maybe there's some parts sources at one of your local junkyards?

I work in the Pharmacy of a grocery store. I'm being trained as a pharmacy technician. In other words, I play with pills. :P

Distributor. No junkyards in this area seem to have a Millenia, let alone a distributor for one. That would be preferable if I could find one. I tried online junkyards, but most of them were out of state. Eventually, I'll find one. I'm not in the greatest hurry. I might just get a newer Millenia now that I have a job and a steady income. Would save me the hassle and get me a better conditioned vehicle. I sort of sick of driving cheap cars that tend to fall apart.

Distributor. No junkyards in this area seem to have a Millenia, let alone a distributor for one. That would be preferable if I could find one. I tried online junkyards, but most of them were out of state. Eventually, I'll find one. I'm not in the greatest hurry. I might just get a newer Millenia now that I have a job and a steady income. Would save me the hassle and get me a better conditioned vehicle. I sort of sick of driving cheap cars that tend to fall apart.

Two serious offers:

1) I can find you a distributor locally.

2) If you save enough, I'll find you a nice, rust-free Millenia. Seriously.

Again, I have never said it was a piece of &#036;h&#33;, nor do I think it. What I did call it was a pain in the ass, as the title states. The only thing I do think about it doesn't apply to the Cutlass itself. I could call it carbureted junk, which I most certainly think it and any other carbureted car is. I'm not a fan of them in the least. Automakers didn't switch to fuel injection because it was inferior. If I was unawarely hinting at anything, it was that. Regardless, no one else went on a tyrant about it whether they thought it or not so spare me the attempted justifications.

How in the hell did you get the idea that I think gear heads are a form of sub species? :blink::lol:

On the subject of my Millenia. What do you expect me to do? Would you let someone bad mouth a car they have no personal experience with that you know is a great car? I highly doubt it. This is more about you being biased and unable to give it a chance, as with others. When I first bought this car, only one person said bad things about it. It was Josh, which, speaks for itself. Even Sixty8 said good things about it at first, though nowadays, he's so hypocritical that I can't take anything he says about a car seriously. Millenias are no worse than any Buick sedan produced in the same time frame. As I said previously, like the Miata, they also have quite the following if you look outside your little world. Not to mention, it's not limited to the states, it's a world-wide following. Not to mention you don't see them that often, they're sort of rare, especially around here. This is why I'm so quick to defend it. I'm simply sick of all the false statements, as I'm sure you would be if the roles were reversed. I seem to remember you getting quite heated when Sixty8 made some select comments about your Riviera. Hmm... Must've been justified because it wasn't a Mazda. :huh:

I work in the Pharmacy of a grocery store. I'm being trained as a pharmacy technician. In other words, I play with pills. :P

I can easily understand why you'd defend your car, it's yours. I'll defend to death my car, and we all know how many people like taking cheap shots at its manufacturer. Sure I've given you a hard time with it sometimes, it it is a nice car overall. :AH-HA_wink:

Anyway, I can name two junkyards that would have the part you seek in my area. If you are interested I can find the prices of the Distributor. It'll cost a lot less to ship than from Florida :P

get the carb adjusted, seriously.

You do know how to start an 80's carburrated car, right?

Well, stomping the pedal to the floor before starting is supposed to set the choke. After that incident today and my Dad and I fiddling with it before it got too dark, the general consensus is that the choke isn't working properly. Makes some sense, anyways, since most of it's problems occur when the engine is cold. The heater and smoke is another story. After the short fiddling and some carb cleaner, I noticed it didn't diesel when I shut it off. Probably just a coincidence.

We're going to try to get it into my uncle's shop since I don't have the daylight hours to really do anything with it anymore. That and my dad has never had much luck working with carburetors either. He shares my opinion of them. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Hmm.

Let me give you a little input here.

- Generally, when I buy an older car, I go through the whole thing before I put it into daily duty. I check all of the major systems and replace marginal items ahead of the game. I usually replace all ignition parts, check all suspension and brake components and replace all vital fluids.

- Very often, on carbureted cars, I will rebuild or replace the carb to avoid some of the issues you are dealing with.

- On a car of this era, the carbs were especially difficult to get just right due to a great complexity of emissions-related devices and hoses. Because of that, I would likely just toss the stock carb and go with an Edelbrock were it my car. Remember, not all carbs are created equal.

- Another issue with cars of this vintage is that they have TONS of vaccuum hoses running everywhere. As the cars age, leaks can happen all over the engine compartment - causing major diveability issues. I would urge you to replace any marginal hose, if not all of them. Just be careful to use one of equal or greater strength in each location so that they don't close when suction is present in the line.

- Other vaccuum-related items can also fail in this way. The advance on the distributer comes to mind as well as the HVAC system - both use vaccuum.

My Chevelle restoration is just an extreme version of my approach to old car prep when I buy one. I have never been disappointed with a car I have done this to. Your Cutlass is good enough to deserve this treatment and should reward you with decent reliabilty and performance if you give it what it needs.

HVAC is a good place to start. Had that problem on 1979 Impala. Couldnt figure it out. Dad figured it out after about a half hour. I dont think this car has vcuum advance. In 1981 and after most GM cars had computer controlled advance. Both my old ones have this. Good luck with this. By the way, is your choke closing when you press the throttle to set the choke? Next time you start it, set the choke but before you start it make sure it is closing. If it doesnt close that will make it difficult to start. Happened to me once on a car.

Hmm... Replaced the alternator but didn't fix the problem. The battery isn't receiving a charge... If it's not the alternator, I don't see what it could be. The battery itself is only a month old and the wires weren't shorted or disconnected.

Anyways, I replaced the spark plugs. Didn't make any difference. But, I must say, I thought these older cars were supposed to be easier to work on? A simple task like changing plugs is such a, well, pain in the ass. It's so much easier to do with my Millenia. Did they plan on people ever changing their own plugs? There was a mere two inches of clearance for one of them. That's after you remove half a dozen hoses to even get to that point. Such nonsense. :P

On another note, I tried to tinker with the carburetor, but as I previously stated, I'm not a gear head. I see a bunch of screws, a bunch of mechanisms that didn't seem to do anything, and the throttle. What am I looking for?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm... Replaced the alternator but didn't fix the problem. The battery isn't receiving a charge... If it's not the alternator, I don't see what it could be. The battery itself is only a month old and the wires weren't shorted or disconnected.

Anyways, I replaced the spark plugs. Didn't make any difference. But, I must say, I thought these older cars were supposed to be easier to work on? A simple task like changing plugs is such a, well, pain in the ass. It's so much easier to do with my Millenia. Did they plan on people ever changing their own plugs? There was a mere two inches of clearance for one of them. That's after you remove half a dozen hoses to even get to that point. Such nonsense. :P

On another note, I tried to tinker with the carburetor, but as I previously stated, I'm not a gear head. I see a bunch of screws, a bunch of mechanisms that didn't seem to do anything, and the throttle. What am I looking for?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can't help you with the carb, but in reference to your battery problem, I have a couple of suggestions. Try jumping it with another vehicle, if it starts right up, then stalls right or shortly after the jumper cable is removed, try checking teh wiring that connects the battery to the alternator. That was the problem I had with my car. I originally thought it was the alternator but it turned out to be a wire.

Can't help you with the carb, but in reference to your battery problem, I have a couple of suggestions. Try jumping it with another vehicle, if it starts right up, then stalls right or shortly after the jumper cable is removed, try checking teh wiring that connects the battery to the alternator. That was the problem I had with my car. I originally thought it was the alternator but it turned out to be a wire.

I wa thinking the same thing....