New to me car....

Rather than buying a car, my friend Dominic is going to rent me his 1996 Roadmaster Estate that he bought at the Goodwill Auto Auction. It has about 60k miles on it and drives great. However, the previous owner ran it into a pole and the inner front fenders are completely rotted away.

We have almost the entire front end ripped off with just the right side inner fender yet to come off. We have the front end from a Roadmaster sedan that will replace the wagon's front end.

My car payments as of January 1: $900

My car payments as of February 1: $456

My car payments as of March 1: $50

:booyah:

That's cool that you're putting the RM sedan's frontend on the Estate wagon. Buick should have done that from the factory, especially to diffeentiate it from the Chevy Caprice wagon. I know I've seen pictures online within the last year of other Estate owners that did this conversion. Keep us updated and post pics soon.

But a series of unfortunate events chewed up my whole evening.

Aye ... sorry about that, Oldsmoboi. Hope all is well now.....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You really think you're in control?" ... Gnarls Barkley ... 'Crazy'

Some pics from tonight. Had to remove the core support and the right front fender. You'll see why....

with core support

img026.jpg

1996 Buick Roadmaster - Now with less core support and sturdier plastics for a stiffer, safer chassie.

img030.jpg

1996 Buick Roadmaster - Now with lighter, more flexible, and easily removable <with sawzaw and dremmel tool> core support.

img031.jpg

1996 Buick Roadmaster - Now with fender portholes!

img029.jpg

1996 Buick Roadmaster - Now with more compact front end for easier parking and better engine cooling efficiency.

img032.jpg

Eegads....is that rusted through???

And ... uh, what is that car in the background? I'm guessing another Buick....?

"Let me slip away" ... Gordon Lightfoot ... 'Carefree Highway'

Some of is is rust, some of it is me beating it with a hammer or twisting it with pliers to break away the rusted, stripped out bolts. The whole front end body of this car is getting replaced. The outer fenders were fine, but everything inside was rusted through. We're thinking the previous owner took the car out sailing in the Chesapeake.

That's a 1957 Century parts car in the background. There is another one in full working order in the garage up the hill.

That's cool that you're putting the RM sedan's frontend on the Estate wagon. Buick should have done that from the factory, especially to diffeentiate it from the Chevy Caprice wagon. I know I've seen pictures online within the last year of other Estate owners that did this conversion. Keep us updated and post pics soon.

I always wondered why they used different front ends on the sedan and the wagon...I remember back in the day seeing them and realizing they were different..strange.

Speaking of these cars, there's a '91 Olds Custom Cruiser on ebay now (listed as a Buick Roadmaster wagon)... I can't recall when I've seen one of those..

Yes, those are rare, especially because they were only made in 1991 and 1992, then dropped.

We're thinking the previous owner took the car out sailing in the Chesapeake.

LOL! That might not be far from the truth.....sadly enough.

That's a 1957 Century parts car in the background. There is another one in full working order in the garage up the hill.

Ohhh...NICE! Any pics of the one in the garage up the hill? Just curious....no worries either way. BUT ... that looked good for a parts car in the background....maybe the pics make it look better than it is?

"Believe half of what you see" ... Marvin Gaye ... 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine'

It's probably restorable. The engine runs from what I understand. What the picture doesn't show is the missing brake system and the fact that he's already raided the front ball joints which are a one year only part. The interior is a mess and there are windows broken.

Here is an older camera phone pic of the running one.

IMAGE_020.jpg

It's probably restorable. The engine runs from what I understand. What the picture doesn't show is the missing brake system and the fact that he's already raided the front ball joints which are a one year only part. The interior is a mess and there are windows broken.

Yeah, as I kinda figured, the pic made it look in better condition than it is. Those issues, while restorable as you noted, do seem to make it more of a parts car. I'm guessing that the rest of the car is in decent shape? If so ... he probably could make a fortune off of selling parts to people needing them....

Here is an older camera phone pic of the running one.

Wow ... that one is sweet! Is that creme and black ... or creme and dark green? (Sorry, can't quite tell....)

"Things don't look too familiar" ... Shelly West ... 'Jose Cuervo'

• 4 weeks later...

Today's Update:

12:00pm Starting point: No core support, no wiring harness, no fenders, no ECM

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

3:00pm Core Support installed, wiring harness installed somewhat

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

5:00pm Upper and lower fan shroud installed, Left inner fender test fit,

IMG_0805.jpg

7:00pm Left inner fender installed, accessories that attach to fender installed, ECM installed

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

The other parts that you can't see: While Dominic was treating and painting the fenders and core support with Rustolium, I replaced the sway bar linkage that had broken.

Donor car... Hood is coming from this, fenders from a burgundy sedan

IMG_0801.jpg

And since some of you asked about Dominic's '57 parts car in the background

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Wow ... sweet progress pics, Drew! Congrats!

And, thanks for the pics of the parts car, too ;).

"Time can't erase a feeling this strong" ... Mariah Carey ... 'Always Be My Baby'

Test fitting the left front outter fender and finding out it doesn't fit. The core support appears to be bent slightly. We'll be hammering that out tomorrow.

IMG_0808.JPG

Right inner fender isn't on. We're test fitting the outer fender to see if we have the same problem on both sides. The right side doesn't fit perfectly... but it's just shim work.

IMG_0809.JPG

The inner fender is attached and all accessories are bolted down to it. The outer fender is fitted and lightly bolted down. We've marked the space where I need to drill out a hole for the radio antenna. Wagons have their antenna on the front right fender, sedans on the rear right.

IMG_0813.JPG

Though you can't see it because the shutter speed is too high. The LT-1 is actually running in this picture. She's been sitting for about 10 months without being started. She roared to life on the first turn of the key, the engine fan blowing out a huge cloud of dust.

IMG_0815.JPG

More tomorrow....

No new pics tonight. The power antenna is installed. We found out that most of the horns don't work... we have one in and will be ripping the rest out of the parts car later. The horns are easy to get to, so as long as it passes inspection for now, I'm happy.

Right front fender is now fully installed and bolted down. It lines up decently though the panel gap between the door and the fender is a bit wide.

Tomorrow, discovering the splicing needed to wire the headlights. Sedan and wagon have slightly different headlight cluster layouts.

maybe banging out the slightly bent core support and getting the left fender in.

Did the 4 door parts car (57) come from Columbus, Ohio per chance? It is a dead, dead, dead ringer for a car that ran around my old neighborhood for years.

I'm jealous of the wagon-came close to buying a few, and you can't beat an LS1. As I said in one of Sixty-Eight's threads, the collector cars of tomorrow are in danger today. I can't tell you how very happy I am that you are saving this wagon!

If that wagon ever needs a home in a warm garage, I might be able to find it a place under a car cover in mine.

Sweet ride, Oldsmoboi!

Chris

When I bought my '94 Roadmaster Estate last year I said on more than one

occasion that I'd love to install a front clip (nose) off a Roadmaster sedan,

never happened... it's a common idea for us Buick guys. Great project

I wish him luck with it!

When I bought my '94 Roadmaster Estate last year I said on more than one

occasion that I'd love to install a front clip (nose) off a Roadmaster sedan,

never happened... it's a common idea for us Buick guys. Great project

I wish him luck with it!

Him!? I'm doing most of the work. He's mostly supervising or being an extra set of hands. Sure it's his car, but I'm the one driving this project because it's going to be my wheels for the rest of my time in the states.

Hood test fit

IMG_0816.jpg

Hood bolted on and installed

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Looking out over the prow

IMG_0819.jpg

Sedan with wagon hood; does not fit

IMG_0820.jpg

The turn signals were a major bitch.... it took a while just to figure out what needed to be spliced much less doing the splicing. I also want to give a shout out to my engineer friends up at GM....Thanks for making the common wire for the headlight harness different colors on the wagon and sedan...... you rat bastards.

Turn signal test:

th_MVI_0821.jpg

Looking out over the prow

Awesome shot ... he he.

Sedan with wagon hood; does not fit

Heh ... interesting indeedy.

"Don't make it hard on your heart" ... Tanya Tucker ... 'If It Don't Come Easy'

Looks sweet... Gives it a more mean, and yet at the same time more stately attitude. That being said:

Once more liquid moneys get flowing I'd like to look at a project car, I have a feeling it would be a rewarding experience. One car I've always wanted to have to fix up was a 1994-1995 3.8L Dustbuster, preferably Trans Sport like my dad had so many years ago. :AH-HA_wink:

*Stands Back as Flamethrowers Arrive*

:yes:

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Hurry up man!

We've got a show to see!

J/K :lol:

You are making great progress. Are you going to bother with the paint and details like the woodgrain before putting this baby back on the road?

well the woodgrain is staying, however, we're not putting the woodgrain on the front fenders. Dominic's opinion is that original woodies were just wooden bodies, so it's ok to leave the wood off the front fenders.

I am going to drive it for a bit as is because I need the wheels. I plan to go to Germany in late May so I might have it painted while I'm over there.

I expect she'll be whole by tonight and a trip to the shop for inspection will happen tomorrow.

Looks sweet... Gives it a more mean, and yet at the same time more stately attitude. That being said:

Once more liquid moneys get flowing I'd like to look at a project car, I have a feeling it would be a rewarding experience. One car I've always wanted to have to fix up was a 1994-1995 3.8L Dustbuster, preferably Trans Sport like my dad had so many years ago. :AH-HA_wink:

*Stands Back as the men in white suits Arrive*

:yes:

fixed.

My bad dude, I miss-read. Good for you, great project.