Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

It can be done... (2nd UPDATED w/Brochures and New In the Flesh High Resolution Photos!)

gm4life

FOR THE UPDATE AND GOODIES CLICK THE LINK!
1st UPDATE w/BROCHURES
2nd UPDATE w/ARTICLE and REAL LIFE LARGE PHOTOS
2011_Chevrolet_Caprice_9C1_1024.jpg
2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV photoshop based off the 2009 Caprice SS for sale in the Middle East.

I don't think it will come as a suprise to any of you that I am love with the new Caprice PPV. It looks like an Impala, goes like hell, can haul a trunk full stuff (around 20 cubic feet) and has a huge backseat. Then I found out it only for government/law enforcement, and got all bummed out because it would be a great replacement for my Impala someday. After bitching about what I can't buy, I decided today while as I was at the dealer to ask him about this issue... Here is what I found out.

My salesman said offically I cannot buy one new, but he has a good relationship with the small town police department. He said if a customer like you wanted one and it was not sold new to the public he can easily get around that. He said I could pick exactly what I wanted on the car like color, 9C1 vs. 9C3, cloth or vinyl interior and have it "sold" to the city. The city would simply sell it back making it used, and I would have my "new" Caprice with the orginal window sticker in the window.

I asked him if the PD/city would do that for them and he said yes, and keep in mind I am hear to sell cars and make a living and will do whatever it takes to get the customer what they want.

So I may have a chance to get the best of both worlds a Camaro and a fullsize four door sedan in one. He also went onto say he would be shocked if they didn't offer the car to public.

Just thought you all might like to know if you set it up right you can get one. This actually made my day! Thoughts or comments as always are welcome.

The update with brochures is on the 4th page! Edited by gm4life

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16:00

[Comment From Mark Bono ]

With the Caprice Police vehicle( being based on another Holden, the Statesmen) will we see it ever for public sale to slot above the Impala?

16:01

Brent Dewar: The announcement for the Caprice is currently only as a police patrol cruiser. It will be RWD with a 6.0L V8. We have not made any firm plans yet on a retail version of the Caprice. That said, we are working on a nextgen Impala that come in abover the Malibu. More to come....

I think you need to read Brent Dewar's chat log from the other day :AH-HA_wink:

I have read it, but if I doing a huge car, I would prefer RWD and a V8. Larger than a Malibu/LaX will have to be RWD and V8 powered. I am just saying if you want one. You can get one.

Edited by gm4life

Good for you! Sometimes to get what you want you really have to work at it.

And now I'm sure that you're not the only person in the country that wants a civilian version Caprice. And I'm sure the General is 'listening' to the public right now; I'd bet that the Caprice PPV concept car will make the major auto show rounds in 2010 to gauge public opinion on a civilian version. So in the end you may not have to go that route, but you're better off to be safe than sorry and do as much planning until it becomes easier for you.

Last night I attended my local fire dept's annual fire prevention open house. My local PD has just received two new 2010 Dodge Chargers. One is a Hemi V8-powered unmarked <black> car, while the other is a V6-powered marked (but no roof lights) marked car. The officer standing near it said that NJ has a contract with Dodge right now, so many PD's will be ordering those this year. But he also said that 2010 will allow Ford and they have something special on the books ordered (if it comes). I asked if it's a Mustang (which we have no use for), and he said no, so I'm stumped on what this 'special' Ford could be? Anyway, he also mentioned the new Chevy Caprice PPV and said that his chief is impressed with that so far and the department really miss their old Chevy Caprices the most. I can see my township ordering as many Caprice PPVs as they can starting in 2010 or 2011.

Good for you! Sometimes to get what you want you really have to work at it.

And now I'm sure that you're not the only person in the country that wants a civilian version Caprice. And I'm sure the General is 'listening' to the public right now; I'd bet that the Caprice PPV concept car will make the major auto show rounds in 2010 to gauge public opinion on a civilian version. So in the end you may not have to go that route, but you're better off to be safe than sorry and do as much planning until it becomes easier for you.

Last night I attended my local fire dept's annual fire prevention open house. My local PD has just received two new 2010 Dodge Chargers. One is a Hemi V8-powered unmarked <black> car, while the other is a V6-powered marked (but no roof lights) marked car. The officer standing near it said that NJ has a contract with Dodge right now, so many PD's will be ordering those this year. But he also said that 2010 will allow Ford and they have something special on the books ordered (if it comes). I asked if it's a Mustang (which we have no use for), and he said no, so I'm stumped on what this 'special' Ford could be? Anyway, he also mentioned the new Chevy Caprice PPV and said that his chief is impressed with that so far and the department really miss their old Chevy Caprices the most. I can see my township ordering as many Caprice PPVs as they can starting in 2010 or 2011.

I hope I am not the only one that wants this car. Even if the Caprice is sold to the general public I might opt for a 9C1 anyways if I can get cloth seats in the back as well. (You can in the 9C1 Impala and P71 Vicy I know) I am just happy to hear my dealer would be willing to do this for a sale, then again they are here to sell cars. I hope GM is listening because it is a great car, to good of a car to waste. I just want to have my options open down the road. Also my son likes the new Caprice as well and says he might consider one as well instead of a Camaro.

Thanks for the kind words GMTruckGuy!

Still I hope I have many options for car shopping in a few years, along with the Caprice.

Edited by gm4life

You guys know me. You know I like my luxuries like heated seats and all of that. I like my premium brands.

An appropriately appointed Caprice would get me into a Chevy very quickly.

I know your a fancy pants. :AH-HA_wink:

I am not, I would be perfectly happy with a Caprice the way it was shown in Denver and the standard features it has, that is part of the reason it is so appealing to me. I love the cloth seats in all my cars and the fact NONE of them have sunroofs. :smilewide: The Caprice that was shown would be perfect minus all the extra cop stuff of course. :unitedstates:

I know your a fancy pants. :AH-HA_wink:

I am not, I would be perfectly happy with a Caprice the way it was shown in Denver and the standard features it has, that is part of the reason it is so appealing to me. I love the cloth seats in all my cars and the fact NONE of them have sunroofs. :smilewide: The Caprice that was shown would be perfect minus all the extra cop stuff of course. :unitedstates:

I need my sunroof, my heated leather seats, and my XM Radio. Other than that, I'll take it equipped exactly as in your sig...color, steelies and all.....

If I could get a G80 auto-locking rear differential, that'd be super awesome too......

Thanks Camino, I like it too. I will like being able to get a Caprice even more. :AH-HA_wink:

GM4Life, I don't recall what part of the country are you and this dealer is in, could you refresh me?

I could be very interested in this... 2011 would be a good window for a new car for me... also, I wouldn't technically be buying it from GM (My boycott on new GM purchases due to the Pontiac decision).

I actually like the Statesmen rear better than the G8... I would be tempted to get a G8 nose and make myself a Bonneville out of it. Of course, if it is recognized as a Police-only car by the average cop, it could be a good car for avoiding being pulled over... professional courtesy and all that.

GM4Life, I don't recall what part of the country are you and this dealer is in, could you refresh me?

I could be very interested in this... 2011 would be a good window for a new car for me... also, I wouldn't technically be buying it from GM (My boycott on new GM purchases due to the Pontiac decision).

I actually like the Statesmen rear better than the G8... I would be tempted to get a G8 nose and make myself a Bonneville out of it. Of course, if it is recognized as a Police-only car by the average cop, it could be a good car for avoiding being pulled over... professional courtesy and all that.

Iowa my friend, Iowa. You have some great idea's though but if I get one it will be staying a Caprice.

Edited by gm4life

I need my sunroof, my heated leather seats, and my XM Radio. Other than that, I'll take it equipped exactly as in your sig...color, steelies and all.....

If I could get a G80 auto-locking rear differential, that'd be super awesome too......

Really I figured you want alloy wheels, but I actually don't mind the steelies on certain cars, this is one of them. As for the sig, I just took the Middle Eastern Caprice debadged it and swapped the rims. My wife really likes the Caprice except the rims.

Edited by gm4life

Iowa my friend, Iowa. You have some great idea's though but if I get one it will be staying a Caprice.

Iowa is not too far from Jersey. ;-) Brought two cars up from the tip of Florida over the years.

Since this car is squeaking around the rules, I wonder if GM would bring over wagons if requested by the police... 1A2 wagons were popular in NY State, apparently.

I wonder if the wagon based on the SWB or the LWB?

Another thought is that I wonder if they push the front seat mounts back further on the LWB vs SWB... one of my biggest problems with the G8 was that I couldn't fit in the front passenger seat, as it has less rearward travel than the driver's seat.

Edited by SAmadei

I'm with you Olds, if I buy a new car, spending thousands on it, I want the goodies. No compromise.

You see I don't like lots of extra toys so I am okay with it. If you did like the goodies I can see why you wouldn't want a stripper police cruiser. For me it is not a deal breaker.

Edited by gm4life

Iowa is not too far from Jersey. ;-) Brought two cars up from the tip of Florida over the years.

Since this car is squeaking around the rules, I wonder if GM would bring over wagons if requested by the police... 1A2 wagons were popular in NY State, apparently.

I wonder if the wagon based on the SWB or the LWB?

Another thought is that I wonder if they push the front seat mounts back further on the LWB vs SWB... one of my biggest problems with the G8 was that I couldn't fit in the front passenger seat, as it has less rearward travel than the driver's seat.

All I know is a SWB verison could come out should departments/government request it, as for the wagon I do believe it would be SWB only. As far as dealers I am sure you can find one near you who would be glad to make a sale anyway they can. :AH-HA_wink: A sold car is one car sold, and a customer that will come back for service. Like my salesman said I am here to sell cars and if you want a "new" Caprice even if it is fleet only, I will make the sale happen.

Edited by gm4life

You see I don't like lots of extra toys so I am okay with it. If you did like the goodies I can see why you wouldn't a stripper police cruiser. For me it is not a deal breaker.

I like toys. I like to have my cake and eat it to. :P Performance + features. Plus somehow owning a new car with less features than my old car seems...wrong.

I like toys. I like to have my cake and eat it to. :P Performance + features. Plus somehow owning a new car with less features than my old car seems...wrong.

Performance and the basics is all I need. Exactly why if my son or I did a Camaro it would be a 1SS.

I posted an article about the new Caprice PPV on a city / state information website where most of the posters are not hardcore car enthusiasts like us here, and you would be surprised how much positive reaction there was toward the PPV. Most said something along the lines of GM is finally pulling its head out of its ass, but they were disappointed to find out it was only for law enforcement.

I think GM would be missing out on a huge opportunity to rebuild its image by skipping on a civilian version altogether. If it's delayed 6-12 months to build a proper Impala/Caprice, fine....but it needs to be offered.

God I hope this works, this groundswell of interest in a civilian version. I hope GM really has ears like they say they do. But so many times good things have been snatched from us, I am afraid to view this positively yet.

Didn't the G8 come over as a Pontifail because Holden didn't have the capacity to build Chevy-sized numbers. I recall that being the lame-assed excuse a bunch of you used. And now you're thinking Holden magically has enough capacity to build them to meet fleet demands and civilian demand here?

Well, they currently have a *very* under utilized production line capable of building Zetas right here on this continent. However, we may have to wait until the VF cars are designed on the North American version of Zeta

I'm with GM4Life on this one... the big features here are the V8 and ROOM.

Of course, what features would a police issue car lack, really? The 9C1s were pretty feature laden. Of course, there is the lack of leather seats, fancy stereo and alloy wheels... but those are quickly rectified by the aftermarket... or even a local upholstery shop for the seats.

Police issue cars are going to have the standard dash... the cruise... HVAC... power windows/locks... G80 LSD. Not sure if police cars tend to have key fob remotes nowadays.

The only feature I'd be unhappy about would be the lack of a 6-speed.

I suggest you first check with your city council about the sale of assets. The civic authority for maintenance and public works got into hot water when he offered to sell equipment to our business. Apparently, not following proper procedure in not offering the equipment up for tender was a huge no-no, opening the city up to legal issues.

Not sure if this would apply to you; however, it's worth looking at if this angle is still worth pursuing.

I just know it can be done. I never said there weren't some "legal" issues a hoops to jump through. Keep in mind this is no large city, this is town where everyone knows your name. (1,000 people roughly) And in towns like this they do favors for each other, so it doesn't suprise me. They said they are confident they can do this.

Edited by gm4life

I'm with GM4Life on this one... the big features here are the V8 and ROOM.

Of course, what features would a police issue car lack, really? The 9C1s were pretty feature laden. Of course, there is the lack of leather seats, fancy stereo and alloy wheels... but those are quickly rectified by the aftermarket... or even a local upholstery shop for the seats.

Police issue cars are going to have the standard dash... the cruise... HVAC... power windows/locks... G80 LSD. Not sure if police cars tend to have key fob remotes nowadays.

The only feature I'd be unhappy about would be the lack of a 6-speed.

The 9C1 and 9C3 Impala have keyless entry. Also I am not expecting a six speed stick.

I agree with Shadowdog. Tax dollars going to purchase equipment so it can be immediately resold to a private citizen? Sounds fishy to me.

I am going to have to look into it some more, when it comes closer. Having said that it must be able to be done, on autotrader there are quite a P71's, 9C1's all for sale used, still in the wrapper for sale that civilians can buy. This is a dealer where I can take them by there word, and yes the have sold the city all there vehicles. Like these all with less than a couple 100 miles.

2009 Chevrolet Impala 9C1

2009 Ford Crown Victoria P71

So yes it can be done, and neither of these cars were suppose to be in the hands of the general public...

Edited by gm4life

Until GM says they're going to use Oshawa, this is a lot of dreaming and speculation and people getting their hopes up for something that, as it is now, probably has no better than a 50% chance of happening.

I know, but not if I get my hands on a 9C1. :AH-HA_wink:

I am going to have to look into it some more, when it comes closer. Having said that it must be able to be done, on autotrader there are quite a P71's, 9C1's all for sale used, still in the wrapper for sale that civilians can buy. This is a dealer where I can take them by there word, and yes the have sold the city all there vehicles. Like these all with less than a couple 100 miles.

2009 Chevrolet Impala 9C1

2009 Ford Crown Victoria P71

So yes it can be done, and neither of these cars were suppose to be in the hands of the general public...

I don't deny it can be done, just better through the dealer and not the city. People lose jobs over this kind of thing when someone feels there is something to gain (politically). I mean, only because people suck. Anyhow, best of luck. Hope it works out.

I don't deny it can be done, just better through the dealer and not the city. People lose jobs over this kind of thing when someone feels there is something to gain (politically). I mean, only because people suck. Anyhow, best of luck. Hope it works out.

I understand, but trust me in this town it would be a favor for a good customer. I don't actually live in the town where I get my cars or get them serviced but 20 miles away. Everyone knows everyone there and stuff like this can be easily worked out, because everyone always is willing to do each other favors. Thats how it works in small towns in the midwest. Anyways thanks for the best wishes.

Edited by gm4life

Really I figured you want alloy wheels, but I actually don't mind the steelies on certain cars, this is one of them. As for the sig, I just took the Middle Eastern Caprice debadged it and swapped the rims. My wife really likes the Caprice except the rims.

I like the look in the steel wheels on that car. It looks purposeful in a "don't F with me" sorta way.

Didn't the G8 come over as a Pontifail because Holden didn't have the capacity to build Chevy-sized numbers. I recall that being the lame-assed excuse a bunch of you used. And now you're thinking Holden magically has enough capacity to build them to meet fleet demands and civilian demand here?

Don't forget GM has idle plants in the US which can be reconfigured.

Yes and no.

Holden does not have the capacity for a volume-selling Chevy. That much hasn't changed.

What is different going forward is the fact that the Holden Zetas are scheduled to be brought into line with GMNA build process for the architecture. At that point, any Zeta could be built at either plant and Oshawa has gobs of capacity (especially after the W-body Impala finally dies).

So yes, it is very possible for GM to build zeta cars in volume.

Yes and no.

Holden does not have the capacity for a volume-selling Chevy. That much hasn't changed.

What is different going forward is the fact that the Holden Zetas are scheduled to be brought into line with GMNA build process for the architecture. At that point, any Zeta could be built at either plant and Oshawa has gobs of capacity (especially after the W-body Impala finally dies).

So yes, it is very possible for GM to build zeta cars in volume.

Which is very good news.