C&G Exclusive - 2008 Enclave Spy Shots!

Flybrian

Well it looks pretty true to the concept car, which was very nice, though the steering wheel needs to go-it looks cheap and severely dated. I'm glad Enclave looks different from Acadia and Outlook-it desperately needs to because those two LARGE (these are NOT mid-size-check the specs!) crossovers look very similar, and so much that I can almost guarantee it that the public will notice! Enclave needs to make sure that it is a clear step ahead of Acadia/Outlook (and Chrysler Pacifica) that it offers more luxury and content features as standard.

I like that it's unchanged.

Empowah, what's with the Pacifica II comment?  You know the concept and this look absolutely nothing like that vehicle.  If anything, you should compare it to the Lexus RX330.  Not that ultra-boring chrysler.

Sometimes, I get the feeling you are here to troll.  Obviously, you are absolutely not a troll but man, I just don't see what you're seeing sometimes.

168506[/snapback]

He may be referring to the above 5000lb wieght (!) of Lambdas. Sadly, for GM fans, empowah makes a strong case; these upcoming launches seem to stink of GM's perpetual misreading of the market......especially when considering the same basic truck came out already--Tahoe. The weight of these trucks is substantial, about as much as a Tahoe---that throws out all the benefits of switching over to a car-based platform in the first place. I agree that a stretched Theta, Epsilon on stilts, or more SRXs would have been wiser choices----but this is all based on preliminary specs so I may be wrong. Don't take my word for it....I truly hope these will become massive hits, for GM's sake.

As for the pictures themselves, they look great. The interior looks true to concept--that is to say fantastic.

The real sales growth these days is in compact cars and hybrids....where is GM?

Considering the average weight of a current minivan and the fact that these won't be considered a minivan.... while also not being considered a full size SUV. These will be a logical step for families who don't want mini-van OR full size SUV stigma.

Hmm... I can't wait to see it in person.

168546[/snapback]

Neither can I. The 2007 Philly Auto Show is looking good so far.

I hope the leather on the dash is still there but it is not a huge loss if it isn't. It's one of those detail things that GM does not seem to understand. I believe, however, a GM executive said it would remain on the production version.

Beautiful.

He may be referring to the above 5000lb wieght (!) of Lambdas. Sadly, for GM fans, empowah makes a strong case; these upcoming launches seem to stink of GM's perpetual misreading of the market......especially when considering the same basic truck came out already--Tahoe. The weight of these trucks is substantial, about as much as a Tahoe---that throws out all the benefits of switching over to a car-based platform in the first place. I agree that a stretched Theta, Epsilon on stilts, or more SRXs would have been wiser choices----but this is all based on preliminary specs so I may be wrong. Don't take my word for it....I truly hope these will become massive hits, for GM's sake.

As for the pictures themselves, they look great. The interior looks true to concept--that is to say fantastic.

168797[/snapback]

Tahoe

Curb weights, estimated (lbs.)

2WD 5,443

4x4 5,706

Acadia (lbs.)

4722 (FWD)

4936 (AWD)

And let me throw in a Sienna for good measure

4255 (FWD)

4405 (AWD)

Or how about a smaller Pilot

4356 (FWD)

4524 (AWD)

Add to the fact that lambda will not be designed for truck like applications, the powertrain can be geared for real world average usage.

Looking at the specs - at minimum 500lbs is a lot between the 900 and Lambda.

Edited by evok

Tahoe

Curb weights, estimated (lbs.)

2WD 5,443

4x4 5,706

Acadia (lbs.)

4722 (FWD)

4936 (AWD)

And let me throw in a Sienna for good measure

4255 (FWD)

4405 (AWD)

Or how about a smaller Pilot

4356 (FWD)

4524 (AWD)

Add to the fact that lambda will not be designed for truck like applications, the powertrain can be geared for real world average usage.

Looking at the specs - at minimum 500lbs is a lot between the 900 and Lambda.

168810[/snapback]

statistics show that facts are true only 15% of the time!----Homer Simpson (or something like this)

my question is would have been a wiser investment just to widen Sigma or do a stretched Theta and could it have resulted in less ungainly SUVs. A widened Sigma could then have been used for more Cadillacs as well.

400 lbs is a big difference, I can only hope the interior space advantage will be significant, and maybe integrity will be much greater than Pilot. I just thought one of the biggest reasons to go to a car platform is for lighter weight, and the resultant better integrity/handling, better mileage, better overall performance, better space. If the mileage isn't great compared to Tahoe, I will be disappointed.

If the mileage isn't great compared to Tahoe, I will be disappointed.

169066[/snapback]

Eh... despite your disclaimers, I think you will be disappointed regardless. I don't believe Lambdas will have the key integrated into the fob, so Lambdas are already damned in your book.

Let me first say that Flybrian, you are the man. You truly come through with the spy shots and photos :CG_all:

Now as for the photos at hand, my opinion has changed little from the when I first saw at the auto show. This is one HELL OF A CAR!! The interior looks just as good as the concept. This car, as well as its platform mates, look distinctive and unlike anything else on the market. If GM keeps up with the technological advances in the class as model years pass, there is no reason these cars can't do great!

As for those who have questioned GM's decison to bring these cars out now, perhaps they arent paying attention to the class. The M-class is new for this model year. The Rx350 has been significantly updated. The MDX has been redesigned and the Infiniti is all-too proud of their FX(open any car magazine and you will find an advertisement, SOMEWHERE) So GM seems to be in very good company in deciding to come out with these vehicles right now. In fact, considering most of the vehicles I have named will likely have higher starting prices, GM seems poised to undercut the competion quite nicely. :ohyeah:

So why question GM for coming out with vehicles that appear to have a good chance at carving a successful niche in this hot segment. People could give a damn about gas prices for the most part. Most that buy these vehicles will either be well financed or will love the car so much that they are willing to pay the gas premium to ride in a car that absolutely love.

The Rx350 has been significantly updated.

169104[/snapback]

How? It got a new engine. I think new rims... the rest looks the same to me? :huh:

statistics show that facts are true only 15% of the time!----Homer Simpson (or something like this)

my question is would have been a wiser investment just to widen Sigma or do a stretched Theta and could it have resulted in less ungainly SUVs. A widened Sigma could then have been used for more Cadillacs as well.

169066[/snapback]

Widened Sigma? Stretched Theta? As what, alternatives to Lambda? You've got to be kidding me...

So when did you test drive these and decide they are so ungainly? I didn't realize they were on dealer lots. :rolleyes:

I love it how people are already criticizing the Lambda's and yet no one has driven one - much less sat inside one. These are coming to market with a surprising amount of attention to detail. And for all of those out there that are critical of the weight - what do you think the next generation Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander will do with their next generations in 2008? I wager that they will be slightly larger to offer a more useable third row - which will add weight.

What that means is that they will be in the same weight category as the already right sized Lambdas. The fuel economy is spot on with this segment. The interiors are beautiful. Powertrains are modern. What else do the skeptics want from GM? A full size CUV with a five star crash rating all around, 50 mpg, all leather interior - no plastics, a 200,000 mile warranty all for about $20,000?!

Give me a break. For once GM is bringing a line of vehicles to market that appear to be the size of where the segment is going and have world class powertrains and interiors. Lets wait just a few more months and see how they drive and most importantly - sell - before we bash our home team.

I for one will take an Acadia SLT - black on black.

400 lbs is a big difference, I can only hope the interior space advantage will be significant, and maybe integrity will be much greater than Pilot. I just thought one of the biggest reasons to go to a car platform is for lighter weight, and the resultant better integrity/handling, better mileage, better overall performance, better space. If the mileage isn't great compared to Tahoe, I will be disappointed.

169066[/snapback]

Might I suggest you do some research and actually compare the vehicle statistics on Sigma, Lambda, Pilot and the 900s.

It might answer your own questions since 85% of the statistics were ignored.

PS - Check out a BMW X5. That also my help educate!

169066[/snapback]

The Lambda's can't be directly compared to the Tahoe, b/c they offer more seating and more cargo area. You sould be comparing the Acadia to the Yukon XL, and THEN see what kind of MPG and weight savings you have...

"my question is would have been a wiser investment just to widen Sigma or do a stretched Theta and could it have resulted in less ungainly SUVs. A widened Sigma could then have been used for more Cadillacs as well"

a) Sigma would have been too expensive for this application.

b) i don't think theta could be stretched so far

168797[/snapback]

The weight of the Lambdas are fine; I'm more worried about their enormous size, and how that will affect sales of the newly-released GMT900s. Given the costs required for a new platform, I thought that perhaps something like a Highlander, a Camry wagon on stilts, would have been cheaper for GM, while still producing similar results.

FWIW...

Acadia/Yukon

Wheelbase: 118.9/116.0

Length: 201.1/202.0

Width: 78.9/79.0

Height: 72.8/76.9

Few people take their posh Yukon off-roading or towing, so most buyers are better off in the lighter, roomier Acadia. Let's hope consumers will continue to be irrational...

The weight of the Lambdas are fine; I'm more worried about their enormous size, and how that will affect sales of the newly-released GMT900s. Given the costs required for a new platform, I thought that perhaps something like a Highlander, a Camry wagon on stilts, would have been cheaper for GM, while still producing similar results. 

FWIW...

Acadia/Yukon

Wheelbase: 118.9/116.0

Length: 201.1/202.0

Width: 78.9/79.0

Height: 72.8/76.9

Few people take their posh Yukon off-roading or towing, so most buyers are better off in the lighter, roomier Acadia. Let's hope consumers will continue to be irrational...

169173[/snapback]

I doubt it. The Acadia will undoubtedly takes sales away from the Yukon. The Yukon XL should be safe...as will the Yukon Denali. The Yukon and Tahoe's are already piling up on dealer lots. The Lambda's will be great for GM - but may be harmful for the GMT-900s.

Im surprised no one has mentioned the great light clusters yet. I thought people would be really excited over that part making it to production. Hah, after all I named the file "sexyeyes.jpg" for a reason.

169348[/snapback]

Are you Kidding?? The eyes were the first thing that I noticed!!! They look very sophisticated and classy. I can't wait to see some other colors on the car and interior.

I doubt it.  The Acadia will undoubtedly takes sales away from the Yukon.  The Yukon XL should be safe...as will the Yukon Denali.  The Yukon and Tahoe's are already piling up on dealer lots.  The Lambda's will be great for GM - but may be harmful for the GMT-900s.

169233[/snapback]

Thank-god there isn't a Chevy Lamdba (YET!), or it could prove very damaging to Tahoe sales as well.

However I think the Acadia size makes it unique that it slots right BETWEEN. the Yukon and Yukon XL in terms of usable interior space, and passenger room.

Yukon might take a little hit, but I think GM knew this all along.

Any idea if they can shorten the Lambda platform to make a roomy 5 seater so replace the envoy/9-7x?

Im surprised no one has mentioned the great light clusters yet. I thought people would be really excited over that part making it to production. Hah, after all I named the file "sexyeyes.jpg" for a reason.

169348[/snapback]

I noticed, I was asking what all those lights do?

The 'fog cluster' has a bunch of things, and so does the main light cluster, do you have any idea which lights do what?

I noticed, I was asking what all those lights do?

The 'fog cluster' has a bunch of things, and so does the main light cluster, do you have any idea which lights do what?

169587[/snapback]

I see (main light cluser) high beams and low beams. In the fog cluster, fog projector beam and turn signal/DRL.

Wonder if the center stack will remain in the production version for all three rows?

169768[/snapback]

Lutz already said that's gone. It's too expensive and makes getting to the back seats very difficult.

Lutz already said that's gone. It's too expensive and makes getting to the back seats very difficult.

169769[/snapback]

but it'd make a super option to go w/ that "uv8"?!!!! :AH-HA_wink: :AH-HA_wink: :lol:

I have to say that the Enclave and even Acadia interior make the current MDX interior look like total ass. I didn't really how crappy looking the MDX was on the inside. Though the RX interior still manages to look better than all 3, IMO. Maybe production photos will look better, but right now, that center console floating in the middle of the dash doesn't look too good, IMO.

Buick deserves this vehicle. What an elegant design. I WILL own one. IMO the Buick is far better looking than the GMC or Saturn. Looking at the GMC from the rear/side, it looks like it has a load in it's pants..... I know Lutz has said the wheels are bigger than what will be on the production version, but I hope they're larger than what is in these photos. They look too skinny. Those big wheels add a lot to the wide stance that make this Buick so good looking. As for the dash, I think the leather is there on the center stack, but the stitching is not. Looks smooth. Anybody know about the sunroof on the Eclave? Will it have two separate openings or one large one? Seems like the two would give a space for a DVD to mount....

Has anyone seen the audi thing that looks very similar in exterior shape to the Enclave? I went to the audi website and couldn't find specs for interior legroom. Seems odd...My money is on the Buick having more room. What is the other competition going to be specifically for the Enclave???

What is the other competition going to be specifically for the Enclave???

170597[/snapback]

Specifically, the MDX and RX. They're geared toward luxury, a comfortable ride, and high quality. In general, the segment includes sportier competitors; the X5, M-Class, A7, SRX, and FX.

Why is GM releasing the the Enclave last? I understanding staggering the release of the three, but I wonder if there is some 'strategic' reasoning behind the Buick being last??

The Signia looks like a station wagon from Mad Max..

Yes, Satty, yours is a pretty good memory, considering other makes with the Signum, Signal, et al. You're exactly right about 8 years - the Buick Signia was 1998.

I think it was Car and Driver, believe it or not, that had a column praising Buick for doing the Signia, that it was a logical step in the evolution of what we know call "crossovers." I always thought that the Signia's exterior was a little like Frankenstein's monster, with various pieces fused into one vehicle, but that goldish color was beautiful.