The bolder face of the HD Silverado

This'll give the Superduty's grille's something to chew on. At first glance, I thought, "way too overdone" but after looking at them a second time, they are right on the mark.

With the Duramax, these things'll steamroll through the best Ford and Dodge have to offer. The bar has been raised baby.

b/c the Chevy's grille is so biggg now, it makes me think of the Cheyanne (sp?) concept.

And i TOTALLY see people buying these vs the regular trucks, just b/c the grille is MASSIVE and sweet lookin'!

Edited by jbartley

Hmm, I'm liking the chevy HD better than the smaller silverados, especially if that's a more conservatively-styled bed on the back. Of course, I'm thinking dooley anyway, so I guess the bed doesn't really matter that much in fleetside styling. Front end looks EXTREMELY improved, even with that overdose of chrome on the front bumper. Grille looks better, hard to see what the fender bulges look like here, though.

The GMC seems to be less differentiated between the HD and LD sizes styling-wise. Still looks good, just not as much extra gruffness to it. Of course, the LD silverados looked wimpy and cross-eyed to my eye, so they had a lot more room for improvement to begin with.

I'm going to need some better, closer-up pics before I make a decision on which looks better, the GMC or the Chevy in 1-ton duramax/allison dooley trim. Maybe once Chevy and GMC post the 360's I'll be able to make my decision. Still, nice truck either way!! I want, I want, I want!!!

Edit: You know, I kinda hope that the HD's don't have the high-end interior option, just the "pure pickup" interior...I'll be getting the pure pickup anyway, so it doesn't really matter either way, but that interior just begs to be put into every HD on the road....

Edited by roadwarrior

The bed rear fenders look pretty much the same as the regular trucks to me..looks like there are two types of mirrors available (I wonder if the vertical ones extend out like Ford's SD mirrors for towing).

that first photo with all the trucks reminds me of '60s-70s truck magazine ads, with the lineup parked in a field... neat.

I hope these hold up as well in person because I'm liking both of them, but the Chevrolet grille is GIGANTOR. I agree with the others, the GMC looks a lot like the Super Duty. I really expected one of these to favor the Cheyenne concept we saw so many years ago....That didn't look like ANYTHING else on the road.

That work truck looks terrible with the spot the grill painted black. Why couldn't they just paint it body collor?

175535[/snapback]

Because an unpainted black grille is obviously cheaper to make than a painted grille for the W/T...for the last 15 years or so the base W/Ts have had black grilles and bumpers.

Long ago base work trucks from Chevy (and others) had the grilles and bumpers painted white..

Guest YellowJacket894

Holy $h!, the GMC HD looks like a damn semi. It rips the balls of the damn Ram and makes the Super Duty wear a cup.

I'm calling a draw here. Both HDs look great, I can't decide if like the GMC better than the Chevy. The Chevy is more restrained than the GMC, though; more in line with the Standard Duty truck.

As for the black on the base-level truck, it would look good...if the truck was black itself and not tan.

I thank GMTruckGuy for picking out the HDs in the background, and I have blown up the Hi-res pic.  It is easy to see the bolder HD Chevy face, bigger grill...

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is also the work truck and a GMC HD:

Posted Image

175367[/snapback]

Eh... The Silverado is way overdone and the black plastic front end looks cheaper than a 90's Cavalier.

Oh Hell yeah... those muthas is bad! Love 'em both. GM's HD pickups in the past could be described as, well, not as serious looking as Ram and Super Duty... but these new ones blow them completely out of the running. Pure, burly sex machines these new trucks are.

WOW. The Silverado is b-ut-iful. These 2 will def help GM survive. It seems as though the silv's design is aimed @ Ram's, while c-era's is aimed @ Ford SD's. By the way.... Has ne1 seen how ugly the new Ford HD's are? They are calling it a redisign but all they did was blow up the headlights. UGH! That will def contribute to Fords downfall n sway the diesel market GM's way.....

WOW.  The Silverado is b-ut-iful.  These 2 will def help GM survive.  It seems as though the silv's design is aimed @ Ram's, while c-era's is aimed @ Ford SD's.  By the way.... Has ne1 seen how ugly the new Ford HD's are?  They are calling it a redisign but all they did was blow up the headlights.  UGH!  That will def contribute to Fords downfall n sway the diesel market GM's way.....

175808[/snapback]

???

The new Super Duties are much more then "blow up headlights". Why do you think the new Silverado is buttiful?

???

The new Super Duties are much more then "blow up headlights".  Why do you think the new Silverado is buttiful?

175849[/snapback]

Yup, it gets a new interior and a 6.4L Diesel, but usually when you refresh a vehicle you give it a face lift not a face drop! GM`s HD`s are going to cream the SD!

Has anyone noticed that if these HD's are 4x4's they are missing the usual fender flares that have been on 2500's and 3500's since they went to IFS.

Raybob,

175831[/snapback]

Yup, noticed that too. I liked the flares and I think they might help the look of these new trucks.

Looks like the Chevy HDs have a terrible case of chrome OD.

175384[/snapback]

I like it well enough... what is ugly IMHO is the super

cheap & gross looking nose on the work truck. That

semi-gloss plastic reminds me of a '96 Toyota Tercel

base coupe with right hand mirror delete. GROSS!

The bed rear fenders look pretty much the same as the regular trucks to me..looks like there are two types of mirrors available (I wonder if the vertical ones extend out like Ford's SD mirrors for towing).

that first photo with all the trucks reminds me of '60s-70s truck magazine ads, with the lineup parked in a field... neat.

175489[/snapback]

Given that the camper mirrors on the GMT800 pickups do that, I would imagine that they will continue to do so. It's hard to tell from these pics, but they might even be the same parts as on the current trucks (which would be fine by me).

That Chevy looks as if its ready to EAT some TUNDRAS for lunch. Then SNACK on some F150's through out the afternoon and finish off with a NICE helping of RAM HD suprise for supper!------And ENJOY a helping of TITAN or F350 the next morning for breakfast! :pokeowned:

Edited by Carguy

I like it well enough... what is ugly IMHO is the super

cheap & gross looking nose on the work truck. That

semi-gloss plastic reminds me of a '96 Toyota Tercel

base coupe with right hand mirror delete. GROSS!

175888[/snapback]

This comment reminds me of a Tercel a buddy of mine had in college..must have been around a '92--had only one mirror...but the strangest thing is that the driver had an airbag and conventional 3-pt seat belt, but the passenger side had a motorized seatbelt (like some Fords had around '89-90).

He bought it new to replace a battered, green '71 Montego.

There is nothing really wrong with the base HD pickup with all the black on the front. It is for an intended purpose, very basic, rough and tumble workhorse. It's not for posing, just for work. If someone wants to look pretty on the worksite, then order accordingly.

You're right, Camino.  Another point for the Sierra in the looks department.

For some reason, the Chevy HD reminds me of a huge bodybuilder with a small penis.

175470[/snapback]

So do you like it, or not? :lol:

I would be willing to bet, that if the GMC trucks were to have been shown from the front without the big ole GMC on it, that 90% or more would have thought it was a new Ford. (It looks like what a next generation Ford could look like) It just screams Ford. I watched the 45 min video on GMTV, and the GMC`s look just like a Ford from many angles.

With that said, I like the LD GMC better then the LD Chevy. But the HD GMC Looks to much like the LD. But only because of the fenders, I am not real sure about those. However, the Chevy LD looks great on the video. (The dark blue one is very sharp looking!) The Chevy HD LOOKS GREAT!

There is nothing wrong with lots of chrome. I remember when people complained about GM trucks looking cheap because there was less chrome then in years past, well guess what? The new Chevy 2500HD`s have the chrome back, and they look outstandingly beautiful.

The H/D's engine will be getting bigger than a 6.4L that someone stated earlier in this post. Ford and Dodge will have nothing again on the Duramax. The Dodge is going up to a 6.7L and everyone already knows the Ford will have twin turbos. But keep trying guys, and pack your lunches its going to be a long day.

• 1 month later...

Chevy / GMC GMT800s had about 4 different side mirrors depending on model/year/options. There's the standard folding mirror, the power extendable folding, a 'twin stalk' mirror, and then a thin single stalk one that is easily replacable with one with a longer stalk. Some have horizontal glass, some vertical, some GMCs have slightly diagonal glass.

RE the W/T: my buddy just bought an '06 W/T: it has a black grille insert, chrome surround & the same chrome bumper as on my LS.

This sort of optioning/customization is where the import trucks do not even come close and have little hope of becoming major players.

• 2 weeks later...