LAIAS at first blush

From the nanospyder blurb;

In the year 2015 the Department of Transportation mandated that vehicles are to be 100% recyclable. In addition, to keep up with the latest safety standards, the vehicles will have a lifespan of 5 years.

This was the premise they were all working under for the "sustainability' thing, I assume from the text for those concepts. Soo California, hypothetical or not.

Won't happen. California has a massive car culture, and it is not uncommon to see many classic vehicles around in pristine condition. The "throwaway" notion will not fly for this reason and also because it will be seen as socially monstrous to force the poor to buy new cars every 5 years...rich prolly won't like it either because what happens? Buy a car, use it for five years, buy a new car give old one to your kids.

From the nanospyder blurb;

In the year 2015 the Department of Transportation mandated that vehicles are to be 100% recyclable. In addition, to keep up with the latest safety standards, the vehicles will have a lifespan of 5 years.

This was the premise they were all working under for the "sustainability' thing, I assume from the text for those concepts. Soo California, hypothetical or not.

221984[/snapback]

"100% recyclable" 5 year lifespan... ugh... wait.... will toyota be the first to comply with this and then be "reaping the rewards" for huge mark-up's?

the only cars that should be like that are old chryslers and dodges that are pass their prime cause they need a ring job badly! there are a lot of those! :lol:

5 Year Lifespan!?!?

I get it now... They're trying to eliminate ANY sense of automotive enthusiasm.

If they DO decide to go this route:

1. I hate politics.

2. Car prices better be cut down to about one third of what they are now.

3. I'm gonna have to hang on to a 2014 Chevrolet in the event of hard times.

I'm pretty sure (and hoping) it was just a hypothetical situation for the concept design studies. Not that I don't think something like that could happen way down the road, but not anytime that soon. Besides, throwing away cars every 5 years is more wasteful than using them for a long time, short of super gas-guzzlers.

Edited by PurdueGuy

California may get this "total freak liberal" stamp from the rest of the country, but we really are very moderate. Yes, we do care about the environment. Yes, we do want our cars to be cutting edge and an example for the rest of the country. But, we are not going to let something extreme and retarded like a throw away car pass. People are NOT going to spend 50 grand on a car and have to throw it away in 5 years. The lawyers are already standing at the ready.

California may get this "total freak liberal" stamp from the rest of the country, but we really are very moderate. Yes, we do care about the environment. Yes, we do want our cars to be cutting edge and an example for the rest of the country. But, we are not going to let something extreme and retarded like a throw away car pass. People are NOT going to spend 50 grand on a car and have to throw it away in 5 years. The lawyers are already standing at the ready.

222533[/snapback]

Finally someone who isn't talking out of their ass about California...

222533[/snapback]

Some, even many, California residents may be moderate but California law paints another picture entirely. Historically, California has been the most hostile state where automobiles are involved.

Also, the notion that California is some kind of shining example to the rest of us is just plain offensive. I'm all for letting California chart its own course, but I want no part of it.

Some, even many, California residents may be moderate but California law paints another picture entirely. Historically, California has been the most hostile state where automobiles are involved.

Also, the notion that California is some kind of shining example to the rest of us is just plain offensive. I'm all for letting California chart its own course, but I want no part of it.

222623[/snapback]

The state is something like close to 50% democrat.....50% republican.....not NEARLY as liberal as most of the rest of the country would like to think.....

Also, for example, Orange County, one of the most car-crazy counties in southern California, is one of THE most republican counties in the country....I think like close to 80% of OC voters are registered republican.

In fact, the ONLY reason California gets such a bad rap in these matters is because of the crackpot legistlature in Sacramento that, unfortunately, over the last few tersm, was voted in by a slight democatic majority in the polls.

The voters have moved to begin to change this thanks to, for example, Arnold's re-election to the governorship. He may not be perfect, but he's a moderate republican.....and probably way closer to the mainstream CA voter than any of the current legislature that is currently serving.

And you cannot escape the fact the California will always have an influence in this country......Arnold governs over an economy in this state that STILL is something like the 7th or 8th LARGEST in the WORLD.....in fact, giving him theoretically more economic power than the vast majority of world leaders.

The state is something like close to 50% democrat.....50% republican.....not NEARLY as liberal as most of the rest of the country would like to think.....

Also, for example, Orange County, one of the most car-crazy counties in southern California, is one of THE most republican counties in the country....I think like close to 80% of OC voters are registered republican.

In fact, the ONLY reason California gets such a bad rap in these matters is because of the crackpot legistlature in Sacramento that, unfortunately, over the last few tersm, was voted in by a slight democatic majority in the polls.

The voters have moved to begin to change this thanks to, for example, Arnold's re-election to the governorship.  He may not be perfect, but he's a moderate republican.....and probably way closer to the mainstream CA voter than any of the current legislature that is currently serving.

And you cannot escape the fact the California will always have an influence in this country......Arnold governs over an economy in this state that STILL is something like the 7th or 8th LARGEST in the WORLD.....in fact, giving him theoretically more economic power than the vast majority of world leaders.

222653[/snapback]

Understood.

However, I will resist the exportation of California standards and laws to other states. Just the laws themselves eliminate any chance that I would ever live there.

As an aside, I wonder how California would cope as a sovereign nation - could be an interesting story (fiction?). They would have huge problems with importing enough energy and water for example. Anyway, I'll still visit CA but I'll always be glad to get home when the trip comes to an end.

Even so, it hurts me to even think of cars being designed to last only 5 years.  My smart buy is only one year short of that.

222299[/snapback]

They're just suggesting that they start forcing the market to follow what toyota is now building. 5 year cars.

I have no idea what oppressive laws you are referring to Camino. And California isn't hostile to cars, only pollution. And frankly they're right...cars should be as clean as possible. There's no reason not to...our cars today are so much cleaner than they were in the 60s yet they still get amazing performance.