C&G Spy Shots: The Next ION!

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Josh_*

Guest_Josh_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

The much-maligned ION is being redesigned for the 2008 model year. Still built on the Delta platform, it will share many components with the Opel Astra and Chevrolet Cobalt to save costs. It will be offered with the ION's current powertrains: the Ecotec 2.2L and 2.4L, with manual and automatic transmissions available with both engines. GM has run into a problem regarding the Lordstown plant that will build GMX002. The Cobalt alone is currently almost at the plant's capacity, so either Cobalt buyers will instead buy an ION, or ION production will be lower than the 113,000 units forecasted. It was scheduled to be built at the Lake Orion assembly plant alongside the Pontiac G6, but was changed because of cost issues. Production starts in August 2007, with the program scheduled to run for 4 years (MY 2008-2011). ION-Exterior-2008.jpg

ION-Interior-2008.jpg

s113

Stock Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

The new one is so much better that it's hard to tell they're the same car. ;)

Northstar

Be afraid of Jake. Very, very afaid.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,304 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:24 PM

The exterior looks sweet. Looks like a combination of the Aura and Insignia. I'm not in love with the interior, but it's still pretty good and hopefully it looks better in different colors.

blackviper8891

Schwarze Schafe

• Members
  • 12,109 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:53 PM

Wow... What a sucky rear. Ugh. Front looks excellent. The interior looks even more excellent. Although... those side HVAC vents are huge! :blink: Oh how I hate the GM that tries to steal my love.

CSpec

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:57 PM

I really like the look of the new ION. I'm a bit concerned about rear seat headroom and the very small trunklid, but it probably won't be a big deal.

The interior looks to be very high quality and well thought-out. I really like how the shifter flows into the center stack, and that the dashboard wraps around, sort of like the Sky. I think the HVAC vents are huge because they also have the side window defroster in the top part. Having one big faceplate probably saves money.

It's also funny that it goes into production 2 years from now. It will probably be at NAIAS 2007! :lol: :CG_all:

Satty

Smartass Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,496 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:59 PM

Will it still look good in 18 months when it is actually revealed? Or in 24 months when it finally hits lots? Or in 92 months when it is ready to be replaced? Thats a long time, a lot can happen. The benchmark cars of today will be vastly improved by the time this finally hits lots, lets hope GM knows what they are doing.

Sixty8panther

Firing on all 16 cylinders

• Members
  • 14,576 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:01 PM

HUGE improvement. Makes the current Ion look even more retarded than it already does... I hope the rear view does not disapoint.

Posted Image

johnnyb

Stock Member

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

If this really is the new Ion, I LOVE IT! Sign me up! :P :P :P

titan

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

I absolutely love it. The only side I need to see is the rear to reserve giving it a slam dunk, but something tells me the whole car will be great. I hope the don't change a thing, especially the interior. They should keep it like that the way the Aura's interior should be left alone.

jbartley

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

2 awesome vehicles in 1 week, excellent! i assume this will be offered as a coupe too?

turbo200

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

Beautiful. Home run. Can't wait to see the rear. Just showed it to a friend who doesn't really know cars, but likes em, and he thinks it's awesome. I love the interior. The way the dash meets the console is perfect.

pow

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,376 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

Interior looks like it came from a 3 year-old Nissan. Maybe it's just the color, though. The shapes look fine, if a bit Asian. Love the exterior though!

turbo200

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

I was going to say Nissan too, I think part of it is the color.

Klutz_33

Stock Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:55 PM

Wow now that looks good, way better than the current ION. The interior looks nice too, now all they need to do is make a redline version with a 6spd manual and about 250hp :)

KaliRover

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:58 PM

THAT'S FREAKIN GORGEOUS..... B)

#16 Guest_Josh_*

Guest_Josh_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:06 AM

You bet your ass its GORGEOUS! Just check out that interior

KaliRover

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:32 AM

the interior is something I'd expect from Scion or Nissan, but Saturn? .... Nice Work GM, I applaud good work, and frown down on half-ass look's.

But wow, that exterior... that’s what I really like.

What happened to the Aura? I haven't been in the forums that much right before C&G went down, and right after it... incase one of you posted info on that car and I missed it... eh, I'll go and check the Saturn forums.

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:34 AM

I love it!! Saturn is quickly turning into one of my favorite divisions...and 9 months ago I would have placed it almost last on my list!

KaliRover

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 12:34 AM

oh, nvm. I found the answer to my question.

milleramerican

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:01 AM

This will likely add brand identity because it looks like the Sky in a way, with the creased edges and such. That is so damn nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users