C&G Spy Shots: The Next ION!

Guest Josh

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike how GM constantly changes names when it updates a model, while Toyota and Honda keep using the same names, even if the old model was flawed.

[post="19108"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree. I think if GM would consistently improve upon the last model they wouldn't have to change names every two years. For instance, the 95 Cavalier was a huge jump in improvements over the previous generation. Had they continued improving it each year, the Cavalier would still bee a huge seller. And there would be no Cobalt, it would be called the Cavalier.

GM should take a lesson from Honduh and TOYota on this one. Yeah, Civic sux but EVERYONE know's who makes it. I mean, I own all GM's and I can't keep track of what model changed to what from year to year.

Why isn't the LaCrosse called the Regal (or Century)? Why isn't the new Lucerne called Park Avenue or LeSabre? BRAND RECOGNITION PEOPLE! It's all about the marketing, the imports get this!

Okay, back on topic. I like this but agree it shouldn't be two years out! Very nice car and if it's not the Ion, it should be the SL-3 or something like that.
Mike

Oh yes... the unneeded game of changin names. Is G6 better than Grand Am? Is the supposed G8 better than Grand Prix or Bonneville? Is Pursuit better than Sunfire? Is Montana SV6 better than Montana?Is Torrent better than Aztek? ...wait, scratch that. :P

Needless to say, it's rediculous.

Pretty soon were probably going to see Pontiac Pizazz replace GTO. Pendejo replace Vibe. Puta replace Solstice. And Pissy replace G6. Ugh... :D

Now back to the Ion... I still can't believe how nice that interior is. I love it. Now if they could give Pontiac the compact coupe/sedan it needs... badly... with an interior as nice as this. Seriously, I think this is one of GM's best. If not the best, imo.

GM needs to up it's frikkin' capacity or find a second plant.

Why not sell all you can?

[post="20566"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It seems an incredibley tricky business. But It's better to be under capacity then over.

Greater demand then supply. Edited by Ghost Dog

GM needs to up it's frikkin' capacity or find a second plant.

Why not sell all you can?

[post="20566"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It took Lordstown something over a year or two to get up to full capacity with the '95 Cavaler. Also they are not runing at the same speed now that they ran then. Also there new paint shop is not up and running at 100% yet.

Not sure, one of the very last posts made in the other thread was Josh saying something about not wanting a lawsuit.  I still think it was just a pic of the CTS with Lutz getting freaky with an angry swan.

[post="21532"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ha! Mmm still sucks though, I was really eager to see the full thing. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right. My understanding is that, despite the code, cost consideration precluded GM do Brasil from adopting a wholesale iteration of the lastest Opel / Vauxhall Astra and instead a significant amount of the engineering originated from GM do Brasil and is unique to this particular product. Much development took place at the Cruz Alta GM Proving Grounds without the expected level of assistance from Adam Opel.

[post="19797"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From my analysis of the press kit, the A3310 does copy pretty much everything from the A3300 - exterior and interior design, body structure, suspension (still torsion beam just like the Cobalt and Astra - despite complaints from the European press still de rigeur in the segment). The floorpan is not from either the T3000 or A3300, but from the A3301 Astra Caravan. The major difference seems to be a slight reduction in overall width of about an inch, which is not reflected in the track.

• 1 month later...

Don't worry.  With the right amount of money, Toyota can get some journalists to find something wrong with the Ion replacement.

[post="60846"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Some? With the money Toyota has they can buy the entire automotive journalism industry..... oh.... wait.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be an Ion replacement, don't worry and Saturn can move beyond the plastic body panels. 

They can and are "moving beyond" the plastic panels in order to save money. But I think that sucks. I really hope that as GM goes bankrupt, some other automaker comes out with some form of dent resistant body panels on its cars.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Interior seems a bit bland, but overall, an excellent piece. GM can't go wrong with Opel styling in North America!

That looks really nice. Obviously a huge quality improvement for the dash. Now Saturn, how about a sweet little 2-door HARDTOP version of that same car? Just like this picture but 2-door. Give us some style.................. You will sell the heck out of em. Anybody know if this is going to have plastic or metal body panels? I hope they stay with the plastic (even with the gaps). Good luck Saturn!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Saturn and Opel are made for each other....but I worry that building Saturn Auras on the same line as Malibus, G6s, Saab 9-3s-etc etc etc will render the concept of Saturn as "counter GM culture" unmarketable-the Springhill plant cannot be closed-this is a cult/loyalist car company-or at least Saturn enjoys astounding loyalty from it's customers. Overlap between brands that share showroom space should be eliminated...GMC, Pontiac and buick should operate as one entity-Cadillac, Hummer and Saab should operate as one entity-Saturn and Chevrolet should be stand alone entities. Good world cars are key. General Motors is always re-inventing the same wheel. Pontiac needs an awd version of the Corolla/Vibe and call it pursuit(non delta for differentiation) and build it in fremont. Lose the Relay-ick! Give Saturn the Zafira-and ALL the versions of Astra-folding vario-roof, wagon, sport sedan, and killer super hatch(redline) to kill Honda type R. An Aura sport wagon ( ala avant quattro) would round out the marque. The Outlook needs to work the first time-GM cannot afford a Pacifica. I would go on, but I have shit to do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I FEEL I'M IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE. WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE OPEL/SATURN ANOUNCEMENTS, THE SATURN ASTRA, ETC. HEY, IT'S THE MIDDLE OF JUNE 2006, HELP.

[post="154603"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Saturn Astra bows for late '07.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60508001/1041

• 2 weeks later...
All of the "official" reports in automotive magazines about the Astra itself coming here has gotten me all excited! I can't wait! Hopefully (aside from no plethora of engine options) the Astra will come across the pond virtually unchanged. It should have the 1.9L CDTi diesel though.

• 2 weeks later...
See, with all of the products Saturn is getting and has just received, it is clear that GM can turn a brand around if they are serious. Granted all of the designs were complete in the Opel brand and just shipped over, they see that it'll be a success here. Hopefully this will trickle onto the Buick and Pontiac brands as well.

See, with all of the products Saturn is getting and has just received, it is clear that GM can turn a brand around if they are serious.  Granted all of the designs were complete in the Opel brand and just shipped over, they see that it'll be a success here.

Hopefully this will trickle onto the Buick and Pontiac brands as well.

[snapback]165642[/snapback]

Lets hope so. I've got to admit though, I've lost alot of faith in their commitment to Buick.