The GM Heritage Center

Flybrian

The GM Heritage Center
A photographic tour of GM's most historic collection
Posted Image
By Brian Dreggors

Most people know about this place; if not, its the Holy Land to GM enthusiasts. While Ford and Chrysler proudly display their historic cars and trucks in huge, brightly-lit museums open daily for all to enjoy, GM keeps its most prized treasures in a rectangular building hidden away on the ground of the GM Technical Center, off-limits to the general public. Why? Who knows. But it sure adds allure and makes visitors seem like honored guests, which in a way, we were. Not only did we get to enjoy the grace and beauty of 100+ years of American motorcar, but we had a wonderful catered dinner there as well.

Rather than give us a guided tour (citing that most people just wander off within a few seconds anyway), the directors simply opened the doors and let us in. In that spirit, I will do the same. A few quick notes, though: approximately 145 cars were on display this evening, representing about 1/4 or 1/5 of GM's total collection. All but two of these cars are owned by GM. I believe all still run in some capacity, at least the famous concepts do; they even have the keys dangling from their ignitions (define: temptation). If they ever were auctioned, the 1951 LeSabre is valued at $10-15 million while the 1938 Y-Job commands $15-20 million. Don't worry, though; they aren't going anywhere...

that is, unless I can get my hands on those keys again...

Enjoy.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

*eyes pop open wide*

Fly ... SIMPLY AWESOME! Thank you for sharing those pics.............

*sighs*

I can only DREAM of one day being able to visit the GM Heritage Center...............

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

my radio show:CD SHOWCASE.7:30p central.Friday/April 27 = www.wrmn1410.com

This had to be a very fulfilling trip, yet, I wouldn't want to leave, I'd be wanting to study every inch of every vehicle, afraid to miss the slightest detail. Thanks for posting, Mr. Fly.

Flybrian: I hate you.

If I had been let in there, either 1 of 2 scenarios would've happened: I'd still be there now, hiding and caressing. Or I'd have been thrown out in 5 minutes for licking.

Any chance I could get a link to the imageshack album? 4th time trying and most of these 500 pics are not making it over my 56K hookup.

Edited by balthazar

It is an amazing place to go to! There food is sweet too.

But Correction the Heritage Center is not on Tech Center Property. Its about a mile away on an industrial drive.

>>"Wow...I didn't know that a B-body El Camino existed outside of my imagination. Sweet."<<

It doesn't; that's a LeMans-based 'El Camino' which was updated with a 1980 Grand Am nose. I am pretty certain the LeMans/Grand Am is a G-Body.

I always thought that the LeMans was considered an A-body, and the Grand Prix was a G-body. At any rate, I was talking abou this B-body Impala SS-based El Camino:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ah; sorry, I thought you were referring to the Grand Am 'Camino pictured earlier.

As far as the body designation goes, apparently the '82 & up Bonneville was on a stretched version of the GP A-Special chassis... I had misremembered it was the same and thought the LeMans had changed to a 'G' also. LeMans would still be an 'A' in this era.

>>"Wow...I didn't know that a B-body El Camino existed outside of my imagination. Sweet."<<

It doesn't; that's a LeMans-based 'El Camino' which was updated with a 1980 Grand Am nose. I am pretty certain the LeMans/Grand Am is a G-Body.

Yeah, those were the A/Gs... (didn't they call them A-bodies from '78-81, until that designation moved to a FWD platform in '82)?

Very nice photo spread. I must say I enjoyed this. I noticed several things:

1. That Lucerne concept is where Lucerne got its name from. That concept also was the basis for the 1995-1999 Riviera, but something got lost in the translation. You can see the similar lines too. That concept looks a bit better than the Riviera did...

2. That Voyage and Solitaire were the basis for the 1992-1999 Eldorado and the 1992-1997 Seville. That front end showed up on many early 1990's Cadillacs.

3. I liked the Toronado I saw.

4. GM takes its collection and cars very seriously. I also thought that Impala based El Camino had potential.

Thank you for sharing...

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

If the "lemansamino" is an '82 or newer, it is a G body, older and it's an A. I love both Camino concepts shown in these pics. I never got the story on the Pontiac version, but The Impala-based SS damn near went to production.

I want them both. :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah the whole fine line between the A & G bodys always perplexed me. :unsure:

1,000,000th 1977 Oldsmobile. :P

That's exactly 1,000,000 more than they made in 2006. <_<:angry:

1,000,000th 1977 Oldsmobile. :P

That's exactly 1,000,000 more than they made in 2006. <_<:angry:

*chuckles*

Leave it to you to point out that striking, sad realization ... heh.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

I'm not sure which one you mean..Maybe a sprint? I don't remember ever seeing a Chevette there

I just looked again and I'm pretty sure its a 2 door Chevette, behind the red concept car ( I think that was a cerv III) and to the left of a yellow car. I hope I'm on your list this summer during the dream cruise if you can bring in visitors again like you did last year.

• 9 months later...
Damn, how did I miss this thread?

And how the hell do you get access to that place?!

GM is having an open house for employees Feb 21 5pm-8pm

I am going, and can take a few people with me.

So I guess it's an open invite for a few guys who really want in....

It's a really fun place.

caddies.jpg

firefins.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

XP-8.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Edited by mightymouse

OMG. What's the price and where's the location? I'm in. Thank you so much!

price: $0.00 :pbjtime: My favorite price! You just have to go in same time as me.

PM your cell- I lost it... I would like to be there between 5-5:30pm let me know if thats too early for you

The GM Heritage Center is located at 6400 Center Dr., Sterling Heights, Michigan, 48312

It's north of 15mile -east of Mound

Schuby87 can't make it. Bring NEW batteries for your camera....twice now, mine pooped out

while I was there.

Any body else ?

http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/heritage/home/index.jsp

Any body else ?

Ohhhh...hot dang I wish I could say I was able to go this time around.

I, too, would absolutely LOVE a trip through that Heritage Center.

*sighs*

Maybe someday.....

NOS ... have a blast of fun for us, would ya, please?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"After so many dreams have fallen through, it's time that 1 came true" ... Earl Thomas Conley ... 'Nobody Falls Like A Fool'

Oh, and Brett is a freakin' bum.

Thats it! Get the Cobalt, we are settling this on the highway! :firebird:

I have been there a few times now, and really enjoyed myself. It is definitely an impressive collection of cars!

Unfortunately, I am leaving to go up to CMU for my bday right after work on the 21st. :pbjtime:

Have fun guys!

Thanks, Cort! I'll definitely take a bunch of pictures and have a good time for you all! :)

GOOD!

Now ... don't fail your assignment ;).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'll always be around" ... Willie Nelson ... 'Highwayman'

Thats it! Get the Cobalt, we are settling this on the highway! :firebird:

I have been there a few times now, and really enjoyed myself. It is definitely an impressive collection of cars!

Unfortunately, I am leaving to go up to CMU for my bday right after work on the 21st. :pbjtime:

Have fun guys!

Don't get me wrong, I do want to take ya out on the highway in the spring... Just to see what would happen. :AH-HA_wink:

But that's fair enough, at least you've been there a few times. Have a good birthday!

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings