"[...] A Car Throughly Designed [...]"

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Know what replaced our G6 just today? Go on. Guess.

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

Well, here's a clue. It's got four-doors. It's red. And a blue Camry was setting in front of the dealership that we bought it from.

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

Done guessing yet? Yes? Okay, good. You want to know what it is? You sure? Absolutely positive? Well, okay then.

Posted Image

The one and only 2007 North American Car of the Year: the 2007 Saturn Aura XE V6 in Berry Red Metallic. I'll have photos as soon as I get my hands around a decent camera.

So why did we get rid of our G6? It was a bad car, right? Nope. Not at all. That is, if it hadn't been in an accident. As luck has it, our car had been repainted, alluding to either pure cosmetic motivations, or something a little more on the sinister side. (Let's not try guessing what the odd stains we couldn't get out of the seats were ... blood maybe? I don't wanna think about it.) Our car also suffered from Power Steering Light-itis and horrible squeaks and rattles raging out from under the driver's side dash, and that only got worse after we had to have the whole steering column replaced to get the light to shut up. Then the front passenger side door sounded hollow. Why? Did the old G6 get a visit sometime from Mr. T-Bone Accident at some point in time from where it showed up in Lexington from Alabama? One can only wonder ... only thing I know is that we got our hands on a dreaded lemon.

There was one thing I loathed about the G6, and that was the electronic power steering. Now here's one thing from GM I don't like and never will. Ever. Stupidly engineered system on GM's part, the steering always felt loose and had waaaaayyyy too much slack and play. Our Aura has traditional hydraulic power steering and, man, does the steering feel precise, exact, and weighted. A very welcome change. It's hard to believe that the Aura is based on the G6's bones, they drive so different. You just have to nudge the wheel ever so slightly and it will go to where you aimed it. It was never like that in the G6; it was like driving a damn yacht, to be honest. The Aura definitely is a car designed for the drive. 8)

How's the fit 'n finish in the Aura? Quite good, thanks for asking. The blue Camry setting in front of Saturn of Lexington had a few mismatched (unleveled) panels compared to the Aura's none. And the Camry setting there was optioned similar to ours, and our Aura came out as the better car hands down, in price and equipment. Hey, Toyota, how does it feel to have your f@#kin' face pounded out by GM? Yeah, hurts, don't it?

So, anyway, like I said before, if I can get my hands on a decent camera, I'll have photos for you to look at. The Berry Red is a pretty sharp color on this car.

And fare-the-well, G6. You can plague someone else now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

That is an awesome photo...I love the angle it was taken...you should make it your sig! It makes the homely looking G6 look even worse by comparison.

That photo is a great one. Just goes to show GM's photo staff can't do a car's natural beauty justice.

I plan on some kind of Saturn sig/avatar for the near future. And after our trip to Saturn of Lexington, I'm now in a state of confusion, by the way -- there was a forest green Sky there and I don't know if I want to buy one of those in a few years or a new Camaro. :D

Congrats on your new car!~

Thanks, man. :)

Guess what we were going to buy before the Aura, though ... :P

That photo is a great one. Just goes to show GM's photo staff can't do a car's natural beauty justice.

I plan on some kind of Saturn sig/avatar for the near future. And after our trip to Saturn of Lexington, I'm now in a state of confusion, by the way -- there was a forest green Sky there and I don't know if I want to buy one of those in a few years or a new Camaro. :D

Thanks, man. :)

Guess what we were going to buy before the Aura, though ... :P

A Chrysler product?

No wait...the Camry next to the Aura!

Wait...I know...an Optima!

A Cavalier?

Guest YellowJacket894

A Chrysler product?

No wait...the Camry next to the Aura!

Wait...I know...an Optima!

A Cavalier?

A Dodge Charger. That's where all our hearts were at in the start, but ... eh. Insurance became a factor among a few other things. It would have been nice to have an all rear-drive driveway, but the Aura drives so well, I ain't gonna let that make me bitch. :P

Did your Saturn dealer (cough, retailer, cough) ask why you were trading in a relatively new G6? If so what did you tell them, and what did they say? I'm just curious.

We just told them our G6 was out of warranty (it had 37,000 miles on it when we traded it today) and we were pretty unsatisfied with it.

I met her! She's spunky.

Oh yes, she is. :P

Congratualtions, Yellowjacket! Isn't this like the fourth AURA on C&G now?

Keep buying those Saturns, guys...maybe I'll get to go to Detroit again next year!

Thanks man. :) And I do believe it is.

:wavey: Welcome to the AURA family! :wavey:

Went to the Jersey shore tonight in the AURA (to Seaside Heights, less than an hours drive from where I live) and I'm just as happy with it now 8 months later as I was when I drove it off the dealership's (retailer's - hahaha PCS!) lot. Post those pics soon and best of luck with it.

Good job. Another sale for Oldsmobile 2.0

Guest YellowJacket894

I like the Aura so much, I think maybe I'll look into an Astra 3-door in the near future. I'll have to postpone all engine and transmission upgrades on the S10 for a few years, but if the Astra is as nice as it's "bigger brother," it could be worth the wait.

Anyhow, I still can't decide if I like the thought of a new Camaro or Sky better. :D

Good job. Another sale for Oldsmobile 2.0.

I'll take that as a compliment. :P

But, in an odd way, I do like to think of the Aura as a modern day Cutlass Supreme or Intrigue.

But, in an odd way, I do like to think of the Aura as a modern day Cutlass Supreme or Intrigue.

It's a good way of thinking of it...Saturn has moved up into Olds territory. I could definitely see the Aura with an Intrigue badge. It's too bad they didn't keep the last Aurora and rebadge it as a Saturn Aurora..the name Aurora would fit well with Astra and Aura, maybe it can be used for a Zeta-based Saturn.

Sorry but Saturn will never be Oldsmobile....Saturn's history consists of plastic go karts....Oldsmobile's consists of Rocket V8's, Cutlasses, 442's, Jetfire, Starfire, Dynamic 88, Delta 88, Ninety Eight, Toronado, Aurora, the first car company to use chrome on mass produced cars, the first semi automatic transmission, the first airbag....the list goes on.....Saturn is just here to pick the bones....

That being said, congrats on the new car :P

You're right, Saturn is Opel (or soon will be), not Olds. I should know I work for Opel. Here's how it works! Ve take da Opel badge off und ve put the Saturn badge on! Das ist gut, ja? :P

Sehr gut, Herr Börger!

Congrats on the new ride, YJ.