What Are You Listening To?

23 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Speaking of actresses w/ distinctive eyes, anyone remember Meg Foster from the 70s-80s?  Her eyes were very unusual...very pale blue.

249847_full.jpg

Vaguely.  In that photo, she turned out looking like a cross between Jodie Foster and Stockard Channing.

image.thumb.png.ca8b1525995699bf8adabbe9ed2b426f.pngI had to get Stockard Channing in there!

• 2 weeks later...

As I read the comments, I learned that this was a reboot of a song done by 4 or 5 guys earlier on.  This reboot is better.

Decent music started tapering off right around this time.

I can't remember if I was in a rented Grand Am or G6, but I definitely remember where I was.

Edited by trinacriabob

Joyce Cooling - given that she's from the Bay Area and the time she was born, some Italian DNA wouldn't surprise me ... the city's demographics are much different now

meta:eyJzcmNCdWNrZXQiOiJiemdsZmlsZXMifQ=

Sporting a "don't be giving me any crap as I walk down this Berkeley street" look - I don't know if that's really Berkeley; however, I have a weird "relationship" with the place

EUHnBWxU4AA-1qS.jpg

I would just hear her stuff come on some jazz stations when channel surfing and figured she would be more of a tree hugger than being quite hip, with the NorCal coastline in the background

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found the "official" version of this song video and have listened to it a few times.  It's in my music collection to stream, too.

https://youtu.be/w859A3YmBkE?si=OKo3QzBn0kWMBmcd

This is the title cut from the album "Break Every Rule."  I think it's the best song on the album, just like "Private Dancer" is the best (title) song on that album.  "Private Dancer" runs pensive while this one is spirited.

You can tell that those who toured with her probably liked working with her.  She's the underdog who hit it big, breaking free from Ike and running circles around him. She will be hard to forget ... electric and very cool at the same time.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Oh Yeah! 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's always interesting to go back and listen to the version of a song prior to a reboot, as in what provided the inspiration for Donna Summer's "MacArthur Park."

That would be Richard Harris's version of it.

Donna Summer ratchets it up some with that second "again" refrain, where she can hold those extended "again" vocals, when he instead follows it with "oh no" because of his low voice.

The disco version has those big band instrumentals in its entirety, which is consistent for that genre, whereas this song kicks into similar instrumental mode at about 5 miminutes.

The Richard Harris version would be considered a classic or romantic standard.  You have to respect it for that.  The Donna Summer may just be more relevant only because it's more familiar.

I wonder what sort of arrangement needs to be worked out for a rehash after about a dozen years.  I hope Mr. Harris was flattered by the imitation.

Edited by trinacriabob

Been into a big Jazz mode with my work being crazy and changes to our work now that we have to return 3 days a week to an office that is so small not sure where everyone will fit.

:( so much for my work from home of the last 4 years. Now I am called Hybrid.

Anyway, Jazz sooths the soul.

17 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

It's always interesting to go back and listen to the version of a song prior to a reboot, as in what provided the inspiration for Donna Summer's "MacArthur Park."

I tend to go the other direction. I like when there are modern takes on older songs.  I recently stumbled onto this new version of Clocks, even more chill than the original.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I tend to go the other direction. I like when there are modern takes on older songs.  I recently stumbled onto this new version of Clocks, even more chill than the original.

I actually agree.  I like Donna Summer's version better - it was her best song, IMO.  I am also giving credit to Richard Harris and his getting a Grammy for it.  I didn't know that.

Similarly, mostly country singer Ray Stevens took the song "Misty" to big hit status - even more popular in the UK than the US - from its more staid initial version(s).

• 2 weeks later...

I have to listen to this absurdity just about every morning ... it's a station that has music, news, etc. 

This is their jingle.  Now locals I've brought it up to find it funny that I've reacted to this so strongly.

This is f**king random and ridiculous as hell!  There has been a huge erosion of the language here, largely as a result of mass media.  So many words have been imported from English and they had Italian words for them before:  meeting, feeling, jogging, and many words for things automotive.

OTOH, the French are safeguarding their language according to an Italian prof. I knew in the U.S. - a computer is an "ordinateur" in French, but, in Italian, it's also a "computer" - pronounced "com-pooh-tear."  Kudos to the French for having a pair.

"Very Normal People" is just nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

This just came on in a coffeehouse/bistro that plays a lot of '70s to '90s U.S. pop.

This song could have been truncated,  but Stevie Wonder has had some great songs.

"I Will Survive" now is on, and I'll spare you from that one.

- - - - -

As of yesterday, I've been here 90 days.  I've done some offbeat things in my life, but this pushes the envelope.